Campaign OPs Items: RMT?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Campaign OPs items: RMT?
Campaign OPs items: RMT?
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-11-20 19:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Makasita said:
Look, guys, here's the thing. You may have hundreds of hours to sink camping Mee Deggi or whatever, but I don't. If I could simply buy the items I wanted from Square directly, you bet your *** I would--why would I ever want to contend with the ten or more campers/scripters/botters at an NM pop, when I could take ten easily-obtained, real-world dollars and buy the item?

Tell yourself whatever you want to make yourself feel better. In many PC games you can open up a console and insert whatever item you want into your inventory. Is it less of a cheat because the devs included it? Sure. Is it still cheating? Absolutely.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-11-20 20:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
If SE placed a cap on the amount of gil that can be purchased on each server/month to prevent mass inflation what is to stop RMT companies from buying it to resell at higher prices?

I do agree with this Jaerik, but IF Korean RMT sell for a higher price, does this mean that SE rmt sell for alot lower of a price, and still keep the gil cirulating??

Would mean that there would be like a " HUGE Inventory Clear out" on all "Emporer Pins???" for i.e.

OR w.e the deal of the week would be?

I still do agree with both sides, both yourself Jaerik and Baelorn's 2 cents.

IDK, at this point, this is surely getting to be a heated topic.

This would actually be good IF SE would intervene and have a say with all of us paying players, so we would know what's going on.

Sorry the quote thing didnt work, but my point is valid!
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-11-20 20:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
Is it still cheating? Absolutely.

It's only cheating if it goes against how the game "should" be played.

In FF:O, it is very clear that investing copious amounts of time and tedium camping items and spawns in order to progress is the way it's "supposed" to be played. Therefore, RMT is cheating, yes.

However, if SE were to release an MMO where the option to RMT from them directly was present from the beginning, and the game was designed to allow multiple achievement paths and multiple rewarding experience routes, then I think it's hard to still call it "cheating." At that point it's just another way of playing the game.

The debate isn't over whether or not buying gil in FF:O right now is good or bad. It's bad. End of story.

My point, however, is that as players, you guys should probably get used to it. Because the industry is wising up to the fact that MMO's designed like FF:O's model are not the way of the future, from a business perspective. A significant chunk of their potential revenue is being stolen from them and wired off to mainland Asia. And personally, I tend to agree. I think MMO's that rely on time investment as an illusion of value to get and maintain subscribers is not just dishonest and manipulative, but also a dying business model overall.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-11-20 20:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
My point, however, is that as players, you guys should probably get used to it. Because the industry is wising up to the fact that MMO's designed like FF:O's model are not the way of the future, from a business perspective.

That's perfectly fine if that's the way they want to go. Like I said earlier the person with the highest credit card limit always wins and I don't find that "fun". If you do...enjoy.

RMT should never exist in an RPG. I doubt my opinion on that will change in the future.
 Fenrir.Makasita
Server: Fenrir
user: makasita
By Fenrir.Makasita 2008-11-20 21:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn, measuring your achievements in HOW LONG it took you to do something is pointless, when you could measure your achievements in HOW AWESOME it was.

Killed an archlich and his armies of decaying thralls with the help of fifty friends? Epic.
Farming for countless hours to get a 0.5% drop from a mob with a specific pop window and condition? Waste.

FFXI could be so much more if it had more setpieces and immersive gameplay, instead of relying so heavily on antiquated, 1996-era gameplay dynamics like "drop rate" and "farming".

Also, yes, I don't find using the console to be cheating, because it only improves my enjoyment of the game. What harm is it if I decide to give myself a minigun in Fallout 3 long before I could otherwise find one? Is the morality fairy going to come out and use stern language on me because I've taken a boring "feature" (hunting/farming for gear) and figured out a way around it?
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-11-20 22:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol. This sorta made me think....

What if SE just made it impossible to trade gil? XD
 Alexander.Baltz
Server: Alexander
user: baltz
By Alexander.Baltz 2008-11-20 23:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
Baltz said:
Because you would have to be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to buy gil for more from a 3rd party than for cheap from SE directly lol

You're assuming that SE would sell for the lowest possible price. Also, I said RMT could sell for higher if SE had a cap on how much they would sell. Say SE would only sell 100M/month on each server to limit inflation. RMT companies could buy all 100M as soon as it is available and then resell it for higher prices. If you want to buy gil that month you'd have to buy from the 3rd party at their prices.

Sorry if my other post was unclear.

Yeah I should have assumed thats what you meant since I had that on my mind. They would have to worry about hardcore deflation to the point we would have to barter items instead of gil. The answer to the risk of deflating an games currency would be to increase the value of purchasing items from NPCs to actually dump the currency. NPCs vendors would have to become mediums of economic balance for some highly desirable items to keep economic levels stable.

It'd prolyl be less lame to have repeatable missions that gave rewards int he form of currency rather than resorting to farming or camping NMs or farming seals to do BCNM or KSNMs and so on. Maybe combine some of those elements where you have to hunt a NM thats being a nuisance for gil and with the chance to get a rare item with a very low drop rate or maybe a very rare ingredient for a desirable craft.

When I think about it thats pretty much how Monster Hunter plays lol hunting a large monster that someone wants exterminated and you carve craft materiasl from it and get a reward for defeating it. We put too much emphasis on the act of RMT and less on the elements that allow RMT to thrive, and these are the games design aspects and philosophies.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-11-21 00:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lethewaters said:
I'm trying to figure the positve effects RMT have in Tavlov's statement.
- Higher prices
- you pay for some kid to continue working as a slave or with meger pay.

There are no positives to this. SE selling gil would not be considered RMT. But more importantly, im speaking of the in-game RMT. SE would not need "GM's" running around camping and farming. So what i meant was, the positives of SE selling, is that those in-game RMT would go away.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-11-21 00:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
You're assuming that SE would sell for the lowest possible price. Also, I said RMT could sell for higher if SE had a cap on how much they would sell. Say SE would only sell 100M/month on each server to limit inflation. RMT companies could buy all 100M as soon as it is available and then resell it for higher prices. If you want to buy gil that month you'd have to buy from the 3rd party at their prices.

Sorry if my other post was unclear.

The limit could also be on individual characters, not just server. While still banning 3rd party RMT activity. So RMT could only buy so much, and not neccesarily get rid of it.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-11-21 00:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

last 2 cents.. Saying "SE RMT", i think is confusing. It's their property, i dont think putting that name on it makes sense, or gives the right idea.

As far as buying your way to the best gear, most of the best gear is rare/ex, and SE could also make more top gear rare/ex. Theres lots of things that can be done to negate big effects on gil buying.

This will likely never happen anyways, like Jaerik has pointed out, they could quite possibly sabotage the game if they introduced it.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-11-21 07:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Making gear R/Ex accomplishes nothing as people already sell R/Ex gear.
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-21 10:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye said:
Lol. This sorta made me think.... What if SE just made it impossible to trade gil? XD
This seems like a great idea, actually. I would forego my teleport taxi in Lower Jeuno to curb RMT.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-11-21 11:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Disintegration said:
Anye said:
Lol. This sorta made me think.... What if SE just made it impossible to trade gil? XD
This seems like a great idea, actually. I would forego my teleport taxi in Lower Jeuno to curb RMT.

Yeah, but desintegration, I know for myself, even though you are on Remora server, that You are legit, and trying to make money.. Hell If you were on caitsith and I needed a taxi, I help other ppl this way, when I nd a taxi I pay the services!

Don't stop making gil, b/c you want to give the RMT the benefit of the doubt...

You sound legit... Sory I hate that word.. " RMT " they will never reply in here.. or would they?? hmmm...
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-21 11:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Legit? I have played the game for a little over a month now. I'm not sure where you get off suspecting someone is legit or not just because they're discussing POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS.

Also, I don't run a teleport taxi, I only use them. My post was to say I would forgoe their existence so as to not use them if it meant we could excise something negative from the game. I am a MNK, so no teleport love for me.
 Odin.Angrykitty
Server: Odin
By Odin.Angrykitty 2008-11-21 16:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
There are players buying up large numbers of the Campaign OPs items and, likely, server transferring them. They then sell these items for an inflated price on servers that do not have access to these specific OPs.

My question is does this fall into the category of RMT? They are using real money to make the transfer and are bringing gil from one server's economy into another's(which can have a negative effect on both servers).

I think real money traders tend to use regional vendors to attain their gil moreso than anything else... you can make huge profits by simply farming tons of drops and selling them to vendors. Gil-farmers use the auction house here and there but not as a primary means to make money. Most of everything that you guys call real money trader transactions are actually legitimate players using blackballing tactics on other players to take advantage of ingame economy. As far as your people buying OP items and then selling them for large ammounts of gil on other servers.. it's not a very effective for the average real money trader. It's probably some spoiled 14 year old with his single mother's credit card spending $25 every 3 months because he's more concerned about making in-game profits than shelling out money in real life. Gil-farmers do not do that. They usually farm in the beastmen strongholds for months on end, and never go much further than that.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2008-12-11 22:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a lose lose situation, not everybody is ever going to be happy no matter what SE does, if they were to impliment SE sponsored RMT to this game not only would it piss a lot of people off it would put our economy in a major upswing which many would cry about, inflation.. i love it.. but most non crafters dont.

The only real positive benefit of RMT players is the massive influx of craftable items, synthesis materials. RMT are bringing in *** tons of everything daily, and maintaining a decent price on them for the crafter who in turn doesnt have to tax hard for HQ to a consumer player, and i can honestly say that without them the player base which rarely farms compared to those sweatshop workers would be taxing on base items for many crafted items, but then in return bitching at crafters when their precious HQ items cost double current prices.

Whether or not it's right or wrong, it does exist, and it is what it is. It does have some good in it though, not everything is 100% bad or 100% good, there is a little bad and a little good in everything, even though many refuse to see that.

As for the definition of RMT, i have 100+3 goldsmithing, and many mules which i use to dominate many items, is this RMT?! I've been accused of it actually, SE has instilled RMT paranoia into this MMO so of course they'd never consider selling gil themselves.. or would they? probably if there is money, they are a corporation, and like most of them have no real values but the value of a dolla