Campaign OPs Items: RMT?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Campaign OPs items: RMT?
Campaign OPs items: RMT?
First Page 2 3
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-27 23:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

There are players buying up large numbers of the Campaign OPs items and, likely, server transferring them. They then sell these items for an inflated price on servers that do not have access to these specific OPs.

My question is does this fall into the category of RMT? They are using real money to make the transfer and are bringing gil from one server's economy into another's(which can have a negative effect on both servers).
 Valefor.Anastriana
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Anastriana 2008-10-28 08:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

As you described it, no. For it to be RMT, it's what happens to the Gil afterwards.

If it did start to cause issues, then it could be considered "Circumventing in-game mechanics" (or the STFU could make up a new rule to cover this) but at the moment, it's not RMT unless they sell the Gil they make from the transfers.

I'd report it anyway though - the STFU base their activities on what reports they receive, so if they do see that it is widespread, they may act.
 Valefor.Anastriana
By Valefor.Anastriana 2008-10-28 08:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

And to be fair, I have considered doing this to get a few cheap items myself, so it could be an enterprising player rather than anything organised.
 Odin.Evilchris
Server: Odin
By Odin.Evilchris 2008-10-28 08:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do people complain about RMT on this site of all sites? It supports, and is supported by RMTs. So I'm just wondering why?
 Unicorn.Usagy
Server: Unicorn
user: Usagy
By Unicorn.Usagy 2008-10-28 08:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it is considered to be rmt actually.
It's ok to buy items from other servers as long as theey would be used for yourself, like buying 1 item or dynamis currency to upgrade your own relic.
If you'd be selling the items then it's not legal though and will be seen as rmt.
People have been banned for it before if it's excessive.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2008-10-28 10:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno bout all campaign ops being rmt but there may be a few. For example,do you really think RMT just gonna go and campaign to keep all the sandoria [s] areas in control especially La Vaule [s] (which on gilgamesh we lost control this week)? I do know however they can buy an item such as the witch sash at low 1.3+ mil and then when the item cant be achieved because of loss of controlled areas, they can jack up the price when it was before. If you see the jump of the witch sash from 6 mil down to 1 mil lowest in just about 2-3 days, people will jack up price higher since u cant get item until areas are controlled. And now you see the item price going higher that we lost control of the area.

And if u really think about it, rmt just wanna make the gil fast, they will sell an item from what others sell, so if the item lowers price they just go with the flow. Doubt RMT wanna wait like a week for an item to sell if they jacked up the price, they want real-life money fast and get gil fast so they tend to lower it a bit.

I know many do that to sell their item quicker. Example: 10k item normal price on ah then u put 9,980 gil to sell it in the first.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2008-10-28 10:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I don't really consider it rmt. Server transfer is a service really. As long as they aren't selling the gil itself they are making or the characters or something, I don't consider it rmt.
For example, my friend on another server quit ffxi and told me if I made a mule on his server, I could have all his gil and stuff. So when I did, he had about 2m cash on him. I bought things like Cerb mantle on his server (much less than what it goes for on my server) and some other small items and put them on the AH on fairy and made a tidy profit.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2008-10-28 15:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Evilchris said:
Why do people complain about RMT on this site of all sites? It supports, and is supported by RMTs. So I'm just wondering why?

We're supported by Google and loyal visitors mostly these days. Would you like to support us EvilChris?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-10-28 15:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Evilchris said:

I'm curious how we support and/or are supported by RMT. We have been making every effort to progressively include less and less gil-buying advertisements on our site, and our FAQ clearly explains our views on RMT, including our roadmap towards eliminating such advertisements entirely in the future. But for now, as some of the ads are placed on the site for us by external agencies, we have only so much control.

If you feel this site is somehow stained by RMT activity, I am curious why you have gone through the effort of registering, verifying, and linking your LS Comm Profile to us unless you are professing to be RMT yourself. If this registration, verification, and linking somehow occurred in error or by RMT without your consent, please accept my sincere apologies, and I will be happy to deactivate your account to eliminate even the potential allusion of RMT association.

We are always happy to take suggestions on alternative advertising or revenue-generating models to support the (fairly enormous) overhead costs that this site takes to run. If you are volunteering your own money to support us instead, please write us at ffxiah@gmail.com and we'll figure out a sponsorship deal. I assure you full credit will be given.
 Siren.Bungie
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2008-10-28 15:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

haha, i dont think you were tryna be funny, but I def lol'd~
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-28 15:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not referring to RMT as in "RMT groups" but the activity of RMTing. I'm pretty sure some of these people are normal players.

These people are paying real money to, let's face it, get gil. That money is coming from different server economies and can cause in imbalance if done on a large enough scale. I'm curious how paying $50 to make 30M is anything but RMT.

Call it a service if you will but in that case IGE is just providing a service as well. You can say that it is different because they have gil that came from hacked accounts. However, they haven't always used hacked accounts as a source of gil but buying gil has always been frowned on.
 Siren.Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2008-10-28 16:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i transfered over a mule on a seperate acct with a few witch sash's, Wise straps, and Brave grips from the server I use to be on to the current I'm on which does not have the option to get those items. Was well worth the 25$ fee, I guess it was semi-rmt like, paid SE to be able to make a little pocket change. but its not like I went and RMT'd the gil made to a site or anything, i kept it to my self.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-28 16:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking about people like:

http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=1355325
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=1367924
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=1362049
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=1366368
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=1257867
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=1347520

Yes the last two even use FFXIAH. Furry is also reselling or server transferring Alexandrites too. These people are doing it on such a large scale that I think it should be addressed by the STF.
 Siren.Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2008-10-28 17:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

yea but what if they are doing it purely to make them self more gil and not rmt'ing the proffit? tryna goto the STF about that would only be an attempt to *** block them and an act of haterism.
 Ragnarok.Saeryn
Server: Ragnarok
user: Saeryn
By Ragnarok.Saeryn 2008-10-28 17:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if it IS RMT, it's money that's going right to SE. So I'm thinking they'd be pretty reluctant to do much about it.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2008-10-28 17:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as they're not selling that gil, I don't see the problem with it.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-28 18:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess people are completely oblivious to the negative effects of RMT besides "it's bad".
 Valefor.Anastriana
By Valefor.Anastriana 2008-10-28 19:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It just depends what is happening to the gil.

If they are selling it, then it needs to be dealt with. If they're funding a relic or a craft, or whatever personal use they have for it, then unless it becomes an issue that threatens game balance, I don't see the harm.

If it's the latter, then it's as close to Gilbuying as the Tidal Talisman - but that's a discussion for another thread.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-10-28 19:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just curious what people's definition of RMT is. People seem to apply it to anything from literally buying gil for real life money, to any action would could potentially construed as a potential way to make money to potentially one day sell for real life money. It's ridiculous.

By that logic, owning more than one account or having a mule character is also RMT, because you're buying an advantage in the game in exchange for real life money. So is switching servers, because that provides an in-game benefit in exchange for real life money as well. Or is it not RMT because it's going to Square Enix?

And what of the next generation of MMO's in development, all of which provide direct RMT services because it makes the company more money? In most next gen Asian MMO's, you can simply purchase levels, experience, and gear, directly from the company. Square-Enix has said in the public Japanese press that they're considering this for their next MMO. Korean MMO's already all do it. Is that "RMT?" Should that be condemned when it's part of the game from the beginning?

People seem to make their own definitions of "RMT" on the fly to apply to whatever player they're unhappy with at the moment.
 Odin.Evilchris
By Odin.Evilchris 2008-10-28 19:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know whether it is due to reginonal detection but

1. Im not involved in RMT
2. I verified my account myself, as This site is a valuable tool for anyone playing FFXI
3. I have seen A LOT of advertisements on this site, and every singe one of them (as mentioned perhaps due to regional things) are RMT ads, including but not limited to advertising to buy and sell accounts, gil and various other things. I have never seen a none-RMT ad on this site. Although now i have managed to block most of them from displaying with the Adblock tool for firefox. Many still show.

4. I have not the money to spare to support you, largely due to having bills and stuff to pay, as well as my own hosting, server fees etc.
And nobody pays my bills and fees :(
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-28 19:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
literally buying gil for real life money

If the sole purpose of the transfer is to get gil then how is it any different?
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-10-28 19:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
I'm just curious what people's definition of RMT is. People seem to apply it to anything from literally buying gil for real life money, to any action would could potentially construed as a potential way to make money to potentially one day sell for real life money. It's ridiculous.

By that logic, owning more than one account or having a mule character is also RMT, because you're buying an advantage in the game in exchange for real life money. So is switching servers, because that provides an in-game benefit in exchange for real life money as well. Or is it not RMT because it's going to Square Enix?

And what of the next generation of MMO's in development, all of which provide direct RMT services because it makes the company more money? In most next gen Asian MMO's, you can simply purchase levels, experience, and gear, directly from the company. Square-Enix has said in the public Japanese press that they're considering this for their next MMO. Korean MMO's already all do it. Is that "RMT?" Should that be condemned when it's part of the game from the beginning?

People seem to make their own definitions of "RMT" on the fly to apply to whatever player they're unhappy with at the moment.

It appears people have extended the RMT title to people that really are not imo. I view RMT as a person/group that sells in game currency (gil) or items in exchange for real life currency, I would include farmers/hunters for those sellers as part of the group.

As for the actual game company doing it, personally I am not a fan of that idea but it seems to work. Imo it seems the best way to combat RMT, "Fight fire with fire"?

Evilchris said:
I dont know whether it is due to reginonal detection but

1. Im not involved in RMT
2. I verified my account myself, as This site is a valuable tool for anyone playing FFXI
3. I have seen A LOT of advertisements on this site, and every singe one of them (as mentioned perhaps due to regional things) are RMT ads, including but not limited to advertising to buy and sell accounts, gil and various other things. I have never seen a none-RMT ad on this site. Although now i have managed to block most of them from displaying with the Adblock tool for firefox. Many still show.

4. I have not the money to spare to support you, largely due to having bills and stuff to pay, as well as my own hosting, server fees etc.
And nobody pays my bills and fees :(

They already stated what their opinions are towards RMT sites. You have to pay the bills, it's not like Pepsi-Cola is going to pay the bills for a site like this. It's not like they have control over every ad anyways. If you don't want to see RMT sites don't click on the links, it's really as simple as that.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-10-28 19:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:

If the sole purpose of the transfer is to get gil then how is it any different?

My point is... player 1 spends $20 to buy 100,000 gil.

Player 2 gives $20 to Square Enix to have multiple accounts to make himself 100,000 gil.

Player 3 spends $20 to have multiple mule characters to more efficiently sell farmed items across other AH's, so to make an additional 100,000 gil.

Player 4 spends $20 (or whatever it costs) to transfer servers to get 100,000 gil.

Player 5 spends $20 to buy a special collector's item at a fan faire that gives them some special ability to help them generate 100,000 gil.

Player 6, in another game (especially in current Korean MMOs) pays $20 to straight-up purchase 100,000 gold from the game company itself.

I'm wondering where the strict definition of RMT is. They have all somehow converted $20 into 100,000 gil. But which is RMT and which is not?

If the definition lies with Square Enix, that seems completely arbitrary given they constantly change their feature sets that require RL money to use. (Mules, extra accounts, server transfers, etc.)
 Odin.Evilchris
By Odin.Evilchris 2008-10-28 19:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont forget the new novelty collectors items needed to be purchased to get in-game (so called bonus items).

Personally, I think the definition lies with SE, in which it appears anyone who obtains gil or items via a none-SE method.

Of course its typically debated that the company does not do much to prevent RMT (other than the odd banning of accounts that have been reported multiple times) and dont implement measures thmselves. As at the end of the day, someone still has to pay to play, or obtain the game in order to farm gil to sell. Evidently i get the feeling they could not really give a crap.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-10-29 00:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It appears RMT just means 3rd pt currency/item seller now lol. SE doesn't hate RMT Imo too much b/c they spend a lot of money for all their accounts, and money on server transfers too. I think the main reason other than them not getting the money for the currency or items that they sometimes ban a few accounts is that RMT generally upset the populace and that creates a customer service issue. I sometimes wonder if SE could afford to keep FFXI running w/o RMT paying for all these extra accounts and server transfers.
 Fairy.Seriin
user: Seriin
By Fairy.Seriin 2008-10-29 01:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

RMT to me is a person or group who disrupts the flow of gameplay for average players in order to make gil to in turn sell to players.

Though this only applies to farmer-types, they are the most disruptive. Farmer types are the ones who camp nm's and farming spots effectively blocking average players from being able to progress their own experience without a whole lot of difficulty. Fisher-bots and the like I could care less about, even if they are RMT, because they are not disrupting my gameplay, save for maybe a giggle at their random letter names.

Somewho who utilizes a service available from SE to make some extra gil for themselves (aka not selling it for real money) in my opinion is not engaged in RMT. They are using market savvy to line their pockets. It's the same as catching an item at a low price on the AH and selling it to an NPC. It doesn't hurt the overall economy as much as the Topic Creator is fearing, because it isn't a common enough occurance to have a large scale effect.

IF SE were to in a future MMO introduce a feature wherein they sell gil to players, it wouldn't be a terrible thing because the gil comes from nowhere. However, if selling items was offered, then said items would be driven up in price for non-gil-buyers.

Sorry that I am jumbled, but overall what I am saying is that RMT to me is something that disrupts the average player, not someone who skips across servers hunting for the best deal.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-10-29 03:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriin said:
RMT to me is a person or group who disrupts the flow of gameplay for average players in order to make gil to in turn sell to players.

I think buying up a large number of items and taking them off the server falls under "disrupts the flow of gameplay". They're taking those items out of circulation.

Also, how is this not on a large scale? On servers where these OPs aren't available the items are going for 3-4x as much as they do on servers with access. 70-80M is a lot of gil to be taking off a server and that is per person(I'm sure they're buying up more than 10 items to transfer with too but that's just an estimate). So I was able to find six people on one server doing in this in 3 minutes of clicking around and was limited to people in the sales history. That would be 480M off of other servers and onto Phoenix(assuming all their items sell).

I define RMT as using any real-life money or service to get an in-game advantage. I also don't agree with games that allow RMTing. The guy with the highest credit card limit always wins lol.
 Alexander.Zepar
Server: Alexander
user: Zepar
By Alexander.Zepar 2008-10-29 03:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO Rmt help the economy. They keep prices up on specific common sold items. This way us NA players can come in and have a price cutting war once they get high enough to get our attention. Then RMT start over and raise the price again. I have made alot of gil watching this happen, selling when RMT tend to sell items, buying when NA players drop the price by 100k just to get a faster sale than the player before them. If it were not for RMT i think all servers wwould have already seen something we call a recession.

I do not advocate purchasing Gil from a website in anyway as this is a game. But watching RMT close can actually make you decent gil.

The new gen of RMT price fixers. . . these are by far the best RMT yet. They dont farm, then dont swarm your camps, they just buy, sell , buy , sell. If your good and fast you can make very good gil as they are "fixing" the prices.

And its really getting old you all that are bitching about RMT. Its gonna happen, it wont be stopped. RMT would not be around if WE did not buy gil, how is this thier fault? I think they need to be honored as entrepreneur's and very good business men for making so damn much off pretend money.

Flame me if you want idc, RMT are not any nuisance to me here on Alexander.
 Alexander.Riker
Server: Alexander
user: RikerAlex
By Alexander.Riker 2008-10-29 08:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk what part of Alexader your on but try buying an elemental torque which was 80k a few weeks ago then went to 400k then 200k then 400k than a few misleeding 100k's than back to 250k then to 400k.

I dont mind RMT in general, I hate when they pull stunts like hardcore price fixing its really annoying. I mean i've done it with wootz orez, lol got them from 150k to 400k a pop and made some nice millions off it but still thats me we're talkin about them!
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-10-29 09:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriin said:

Though this only applies to farmer-types, they are the most disruptive. Farmer types are the ones who camp nm's and farming spots effectively blocking average players from being able to progress their own experience without a whole lot of difficulty. Fisher-bots and the like I could care less about, even if they are RMT, because they are not disrupting my gameplay, save for maybe a giggle at their random letter names.

Somewho who utilizes a service available from SE to make some extra gil for themselves (aka not selling it for real money) in my opinion is not engaged in RMT. They are using market savvy to line their pockets. It's the same as catching an item at a low price on the AH and selling it to an NPC. It doesn't hurt the overall economy as much as the Topic Creator is fearing, because it isn't a common enough occurance to have a large scale effect.

IF SE were to in a future MMO introduce a feature wherein they sell gil to players, it wouldn't be a terrible thing because the gil comes from nowhere. However, if selling items was offered, then said items would be driven up in price for non-gil-buyers.

Sorry that I am jumbled, but overall what I am saying is that RMT to me is something that disrupts the average player, not someone who skips across servers hunting for the best deal.

I'm sorry but you seem to only call people RMT that directly influence you, not the average player like you say. A ton of average players fish and RMT flooding the market hurts them just as RMT farming w/e you are farming hurts you. I just don't see how people can call some RMT and some not when they are all doing the same thing just in different ways.

Baelorn said:
I define RMT as using any real-life money or service to get an in-game advantage. I also don't agree with games that allow RMTing. The guy with the highest credit card limit always wins lol.

I totally agree with that, but MMOs are a business market. If it makes them more money providing such a service than they lose in loss of people that won't play b/c of it then I'm sure they will do it anyways. Plus I doubt they will need as many staff members to pay for anti-RMT services like STFU. I doubt I personally play their next game if it is like that unless they provide optional servers w/o the ability to buy your character basically.
First Page 2 3