Forum » Everything Else » Fan-Art » FFXI Music in Mario Paint Composer
FFXI Music in Mario Paint Composer
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-23 17:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So when I was a child, I was huge fan of Mario Paint, especially the music composition part of the game. Unfun Games released a PC version of that part of Mario Paint as a standalone music composer. Why did I choose Mario Paint? Simple: Taking a complicated song and using such a simple program as this, where it has limits, is quite a challenge. And I like challenges!

So I went and re-created a beloved theme from FFXI. Hope you enjoy it:

I invite everyone to give it a try and see what you can come up with. Especially if you're inept at MSPaint like I am :p

Some tips when using Mario Paint Composer:

1) To get sharps (#) hold down the Shift button while you place the note. For flats (b), it's Ctrl.
2) Mario Paint only recognizes quarter notes. So if your song has eighth notes, double the tempo in Mario Paint Composer. If your song has 16th notes, quadruple the tempo of the original song. Ect. Ect.
3) You can increase the tempo past whatever the max tempo is for the slider by clicking the + button next to the slider.
4) The cars make excellent half/whole notes.
5) Make use of the Arrangement Tab! This will allow you to create an arrangement, that way you can have different parts of your song at different tempos. It'll also make it easier to break up the song so you're not redoing the entire song to add or subtract one note/chord.
6) SAVE OFTEN! I sometimes get script errors, which means you have to restart Mario Paint Composer, and you'll lose your work if you don't save.
7) Mario Paint Composer is only in treble clef. There is no bass clef. So if you're recreating an already made song, you have to transfer the bass line into treble clef.
8) Mario Paint Composer is only in C Major. That means, all of your notes will show up in natural form (not flat or sharp) unless you manually make them flat or sharp.
9) You can adjust the volume of each individual "bar" by using the vertical lines below the staff. The vertical lines will show up once you place a note.
10) You are allowed 5 notes per "bar" so choose your notes for those chords wisely!

Oh, and don't ask me about soundboards. I don't use them. I find them cheap and it takes away from the fact you're using Mario Paint to compose music.
[+]
By semimmortal 2010-01-23 18:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That's pretty good!
Don't want to sound demanding, but... can you make a version for this too?
Amazing what people can do nowadays XD
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-23 18:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn I should play with my sound turned on more often. It's been years since I have lol
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-23 18:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
That's pretty good!
Don't want to sound demanding, but... can you make a version for this too?
Amazing what people can do nowadays XD

I've never even heard that theme lol. I turned off my sound years ago and only turn it on when I'm in certain zones.
By semimmortal 2010-01-23 18:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It's one of my favorite zones thanks to that song~
Going to try using that program, looks like a lot fun!
Thanks for the link Kat!
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-01-23 18:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Very awesome stuff.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-23 18:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Very nice Spence, little bit fast, but mostly very very well done, I'm impressed.

Also, this video was recommended after yours finished... wtf is this, piano hero? My god that makes it look hard to play lol:

[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-01-23 19:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry Kat, didn't wanna take away from your thread

Excellent job though, it's a beautiful song
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-23 20:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:

What? Pft, don't be sorry. I encourage others to share their works, even if it isn't Mario Paint lol.

I'm currently doing some other songs too, one FFXI song (it's a surprise!) and a couple others from another FF game. It'll take me a while to complete though, since I have major ADD lol.
By semimmortal 2010-01-23 20:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is getting good, awaiting more submissions!

Still trying out that program, at the same time...
Thinking of composing it in another program I've got lying in virtual dusts (vocaloid 2)
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-01-23 20:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Fairy.Spence said:

What? Pft, don't be sorry. I encourage others to share their works, even if it isn't Mario Paint lol.

I'm currently doing some other songs too, one FFXI song (it's a surprise!) and a couple others from another FF game. It'll take me a while to complete though, since I have major ADD lol.

Haha, so do I (ADD) ~ It takes me forever to finish songs.
 Asura.Israfel
Server: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-01-23 20:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Very nice Spence, little bit fast, but mostly very very well done, I'm impressed.

Also, this video was recommended after yours finished... wtf is this, piano hero? My god that makes it look hard to play lol:

Which program is this? :o it looks very interesting^0^
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-01-23 20:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

About damn time, Kat! lol The final sounds great, though, you did really well.

I also want to know what that falling piano thinger is, it looks like an awesome way to help visually learn them keyzzz.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-23 21:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
About damn time, Kat! lol The final sounds great, though, you did really well.

Thanks! I had hoped you would like it.

Also, updated OP to include some tips I wish people told me when I started composing with this program.