users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Gardening: Elemental Ores
Gardening: Elemental Ores
 Ifrit.Drgirlfriend
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Drgirlfriend 2008-10-15 12:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I've recently started growing cuttings and saplings, and I was curious as to what day would be best for harvest. Is it the same element as the ore you're trying to grow, or would that overpower it, and make it more likely you'll get clusters instead of ore.

So far, I've planted saplings, fed them earth crystals on earth day. Should I aim for an Earthsday harvest?
 Midgardsormr.Ohdin
Server: Midgardsormr
user:
By Midgardsormr.Ohdin 2008-10-15 14:06:37
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

From my experience plant on the day of the ore i want then feed the crystal on the same day and also harvest that day. So the short answer from my experience is yes.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-10-15 14:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Gardening theory is a bit in the realm of voodoo craft, just cuz we don't have the numbers/data to support the theories. You've probably heard of Pikko and PikkoPots, and she by far has the largest amount of tabled gardening data, but it's hard to draw conclusions from even her site.

You're going to want to check out the clan of the angry monkey guides -
http://clanam-ff.samhart.com/node/221

They seem to be pretty decent. In short, you're going to have to also take into account the element of the seeds as well. For saplings, that's going to be dark. So you might want to consider harvesting on darksday, which is what I did.

Either way, I couldn't make elemental ores as profitable as a few other gardening recipes I've been using. But I don't want to spoil anyone's markets or methods, so if you want to find some better alternatives to ele ores (which aren't that great anymore really, and require a lot of overhead), you might want to do some more research.

GL
 Ifrit.Drgirlfriend
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Drgirlfriend 2008-10-15 18:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I see your point about able to garden more, if I were to use other recipes, but I have a bad habit of not being consistent. I have 10 pots on my main, and on each mule, and I typically have seeds in them 3 days out of 3 months.

The saplings I plant are from the cuttings I get from skilling-up in the Boyahda Tree. I just toss them in, because I don't have to constantly plant new seeds, and they grow decent items. The reason I'm aiming for Earth ore is because I'm also a high lvl cook, and I can use the kitrons which grow as a side possibility.

I harvested a portion of my crops on Darksday, which gave me a nice amount of kitrons (2 stacks from 2 plants).

You're right about making more from other recipes, but I'm just lazy.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-10-15 19:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, I see I see. Yeah you're not lazy. That's a very efficient way of doing things, combining them all. Yeah I remember getting lots of kitrons, w, at least they sell/npc well, same with persikos.
 Ramuh.Gentlegiant
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Gentlegiant 2008-10-15 19:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to garden for ores alot back when they were actually worth the effort. I just looked them up and on Ramuh they average around 90-100k which is cool if you have 100 pots and can average 30 ores per harvest but most people don't have the resources or the skill/luck for that.

I'd steer away from ores and find a recipe that rewards more for your time. You're looking at something like 5-8 harvest in the same amount of time as one ore attempt. With a high yield recipe and probably something that can be sold to an npc you can easily exceed what you would expect from ores. Plus they're more stable recipes. Nothings worse than waiting 3 weeks for a ton of rock salt.

If you look at the prices then and the prices now some would say ores are still worth it but there's also the fact that gardening has changed and it's not as easy as it used to be. I have like 8 stacks of saplings on a mule right now and I'll probably just sell them off.

All that said don't let me discourage you from trying because after all it's a game and maybe you just want the experience of growing ores.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2008-10-18 09:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

As a high level Goldsmither, growing my own elemental ores (and colored rocks) had a certain appeal to it, since those are two of Goldsmithing's biggest profit synths.

However, after trying numerous times to produce a constant result from growing, I've been left utterly disappointed with the inconsistencies of my harvests. Sometimes I'll yield the product I was going for... where more often than not I'll harvest a truckload of tarutaru rice or some other worthless crap.

Now, admittedly these were amateur attempts at gardening... so I dont know if my poor results were because I suck *** at horticulture, or if it's just this game's overall shitty luck. But I'll tell you one thing... that when considering the amount of money and time I invested into my attempts, the satisfaction I recieved was comparable to chewing on broken glass.

I'd say stick to tried and true manners of making money, versus gambling with this type of stuff. All of the 'hobbies' available in the game (mining, logging, choco digging, etc) all take very little startup capital and can make some incredible amounts of profit. Or as a previous poster said, try gardening a more stable recipe (one with more consistent results)
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2008-10-29 23:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Drgirlfriend said:
I've recently started growing cuttings and saplings, and I was curious as to what day would be best for harvest. Is it the same element as the ore you're trying to grow, or would that overpower it, and make it more likely you'll get clusters instead of ore. So far, I've planted saplings, fed them earth crystals on earth day. Should I aim for an Earthsday harvest?

I have been groving ores for a long time, when i started I did all thise stuff you say, plant this day, feed that day or whatever, after awhile you get extremely annoyed having to wait maybe 1-4 hours for a specific day just to feed a crystal. I do plant on the day of which ore I'm after and I do feed the same xtal, but all in random days, as well as harvest in random days. tbh i havent noticed any differens, I have gotten as many as 5 ele ores from 1 harvest without paying attention to what day I feed7harvest them. Good luck