AF Body Or Gaudy?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » AF Body or Gaudy?
AF Body or Gaudy?
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-01-17 23:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Which would you use for Charm and why/when? Just curious if you should always use Body for Charm +5 or maybe you'd want the Harness for extra CHR on resistant mobs.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-01-17 23:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Gaudy for the initial Charm, AF for increasing the duration of how long you keep the mob charmed.
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-01-17 23:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought Charm+ was like that also...meaning that Charm+ is factored in when your charm hits and then you can take it off...isn't it?
[+]
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-17 23:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You pretty much answered your own question. Gaudy is useful when you're charming mobs you're sorta likely to mischarm on, or can't afford a mischarm (e.g. EM EXP pets, slimes, etc.)

If you *know* you're going to successfully charm the mob (or at least have a pretty good shot), you may as well use Charm+ gear to extend duration. I'll also use charm+ gear with Apollo's Staff on Tough pets so they don't decharm so quickly.

tl;dr: both, situational poop is situational

EDIT:
Bojack said:
I thought Charm+ was like that also...meaning that Charm+ is factored in when your charm hits and then you can take it off...isn't it?

Yep, you can go back to whatever you normally idle/TP in afterward.
[+]
 Leviathan.Tealsic
Server: Leviathan
user: Tealsic
By Leviathan.Tealsic 2010-01-17 23:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I play BST alot and whole time i went with Gaudy because you want the CHR last thing you want is a crawler or something that hits like a mack truck oh yeah forogt or a bomb in galiage + a mischarmed mob hitting you. Most of the time assuming you go by rule of soloing (dont let your pet die) youll cycle pets anyways. ^^
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2010-01-18 00:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Like other people said, depends on how likely you are to succeed or fail at the charm. Take the +Charm if you know that you'll land it easy, but if you have any doubt, go with the CHR. Of course, Osode or Avalon is superior to Gaudy if you have either one.

Some of the AF+1 is really nice because they have both CHR and +Charm on them, while of the original AF only one piece does.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-01-18 00:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If I /WHM or /BLU, I full-timed Gaudy up until I got Hauby.

If I /DNC or /NIN, I wore Beast Jackcoat until Hauby.

Now I don't really switch out body pieces just because I have so many other CHR pieces I switch out. Its just a preference thing really, but I never switch out body pieces for Charm and rarely mis-charm.
 Leviathan.Tealsic
By Leviathan.Tealsic 2010-01-18 00:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

LOl
Odin.Aramina said:
Like other people said, depends on how likely you are to succeed or fail at the charm. Take the Charm if you know that you'll land it easy, but if you have any doubt, go with the CHR. Of course, Osode or Avalon is superior to Gaudy if you have either one. Some of the AF 1 is really nice because they have both CHR and Charm on them, while of the original AF only one piece does.

LOL or go for the BIG BANG money and skadi body LOL
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-18 00:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Skadi Body is worthless for BST, Kirin's Osode is a better charm, (Adaman) Hauberk (+1) is better TP/WS.
 Leviathan.Tealsic
By Leviathan.Tealsic 2010-01-18 01:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Azulmagia said:
Skadi Body is worthless for BST, Kirin's Osode is a better charm, (Adaman) Hauberk ( 1) is better TP/WS.
i know lol it was an inside joke lol i take pride in my bst even though when it comes down to it all my money goes twords my rng till im done with it and a bst thought she could 1 up me with skadi body lol i use kirins ftfw ^
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-18 01:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank god this isnt a question about bard using af body vs gaudy. In that case the clear answer is obvious, gaudy. As for bst, i have no clue my bst is lvl 1.