How Well Will It Run On A MacPotato?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How well will it run on a MacPotato?
How well will it run on a MacPotato?
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2023-03-27 06:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Heya!

After a long, kind of a forced break (I used to play on XBox, sooo yeah..), I'm considering returning just to stroll around every once in a while and meet some good old friends who I know are still playing on Odin; that said, I know FFXI is so old it could run on a potato, but that's how far my knowledge on PCs goes. All I know is I own a 2019 MacBook Air and that it should be able to run the game.

I understand I'd need to install Bootcamp (and Idk what else). Can anyone point me to the right, step-by-step install guide?

My next question would be, exactly how well will the game run on a 2019 MacBook Air (Also, I'd definitely try and put it on Tv from there)? Will it freeze, glitch or anything of sort? Will I need to do stuff like turn shadows off (and I don't even know how that's done, lol)?

Tia to anyone who will help!
By macsdf1 2023-03-27 06:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

lol it runs fine on a circa 2010 pc, should be fine and dandy on a 2019 macbook.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2023-03-27 07:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ikr? I just don't have a clue what to install and other procedures. Also, from another post I recently saw on Fb it would seem shadows and some other effects will need to be turned off to avoid freezing the game. I tried looking around for a guide but haven't found much, or enough.
 Ragnarok.Galiber
Server: Ragnarok
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2023-03-27 08:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to do it around 2011 with a 2007 iMac and it ran fine then, so you should be able to run it with no issues.
Bootcamp is annoying though, you basically have to partition your Mac HDD and install and run windows on it, so it works like a normal windows pc. Frome there on you just install everything exactly like using windows.
It should work fine on any intel mac, so your 2019 air should be ok, I have no idea how it would be on M1 macbooks, but those started in 2020 anyway.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2023-03-27 08:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI runs equally crappy on any computer you can locate today
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2023-03-27 10:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I imagine that, but wouldn't having to remove features make it even crappier (in the case of my MacPotato)? :P
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2023-03-27 10:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
I used to do it around 2011 with a 2007 iMac and it ran fine then, so you should be able to run it with no issues.
Bootcamp is annoying though, you basically have to partition your Mac HDD and install and run windows on it, so it works like a normal windows pc. Frome there on you just install everything exactly like using windows.
It should work fine on any intel mac, so your 2019 air should be ok, I have no idea how it would be on M1 macbooks, but those started in 2020 anyway.

Grazie. Spero di trovare qualche tutorial sulle varie installazioni perché pc e programmi non sono il mio forte..
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
Server: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2023-03-27 16:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It'll run fine, but your battery will probably drain quicker than you'd like.
By Jetackuu 2023-03-27 18:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

it will likely run like hot garbage, as with anything else that doesn't have a dedicated gpu
By Pantafernando 2023-03-27 19:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know how FFXI would run on it, but i surely feel like eating some of those macpotatoes with macburguer
[+]
By Taeketsu 2023-03-27 19:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm always surprised at how many people say ffxi runs well on anything. Not true. Especially using windower, any dat mods/HD packs, etc. You will be able to play on your Air but any area with a lot of animations or players it will be crappy
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-03-27 20:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It will play on a damn microwave display screen, if it has an HDD big enough to store it. Nothing can't play this game.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-03-27 20:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said: »
Heya!

After a long, kind of a forced break (I used to play on XBox, sooo yeah..), I'm considering returning just to stroll around every once in a while and meet some good old friends who I know are still playing on Odin; that said, I know FFXI is so old it could run on a potato, but that's how far my knowledge on PCs goes. All I know is I own a 2019 MacBook Air and that it should be able to run the game.

I understand I'd need to install Bootcamp (and Idk what else). Can anyone point me to the right, step-by-step install guide?

My next question would be, exactly how well will the game run on a 2019 MacBook Air (Also, I'd definitely try and put it on Tv from there)? Will it freeze, glitch or anything of sort? Will I need to do stuff like turn shadows off (and I don't even know how that's done, lol)?

Tia to anyone who will help!

How well the game "runs" is going to be really dependent on what resolution you play at, if you have Super Sampling turned on or not, and what addons / enhancements are you using.

Things like dgvoodoo2 enable stable gameplay on modern systems but they also enable the graphics to be enhanced.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-03-28 01:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The lowest hardware I ran FFXI persnoally was a Surface Pro 2.

Giving I ran it without third party and low resolution, I had zero problem with it.

Specs of Surface Pro 2: Intel® Core™ i5, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics
[+]
By Dodik 2023-03-28 05:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Turning shadows off is still needed on most systems, unless you like severe slowdowns.

dgVoodoo/some other proxy might let you keep them on, not really worth it though.
VIP
By Lili 2023-03-28 05:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I played FFXI for 5 years on a 2012 thinkpad, no dedicated graphics. I had to make a few compromises of course, and 5-boxing was quite harsh, but dual boxing with one char at 1024x768 and the other at 800x600 (with 0.5 undersampling) was totally fine and I was getting 30 fps more often than not. No HD dat swaps of course, and needed to be a bit careful about how many addons I'd be running at a given time, but it was perfectly playable.

I can't imagine a 2019 macbook air to be worse than a 2012 thinkpad, so don't worry.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-03-28 07:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you even use Parallels or Bootcamp with M1 CPU macs?
I thought you needed one of those older macs with an intel CPU to be able to efficiently run Windows through Paralells or Bootcamp?
By Pantafernando 2023-03-28 07:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »
I can't imagine a 2019 macbook air to be worse than a 2012 thinkpad, so don't worry.

Quickly googling about both, I feel like they arent that much different themselves. At least in terms of raw components.

The problem with those ultrabooks is that they were more focused in size than in performance, so its not garanteed that a newer technology is that much better than the older one.

Also, considering that back in 2012 there was already processors i5-i7, I guess we didnt had that jump in terms of hardware technology in the past decade, compared with what we had since 2000 till that point. Components do became way more cheaper (back in 2012 was almost like a luxury talking about i7), but I guess major developments in the past decade went to the software side of IT.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-03-28 07:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »

Bootcamp won't work with M1 macs. Neither will FFXI even if it did, since XI is a 32-bit x86 application and M1 is not x86.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2023-03-28 10:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI will run on an M1 processor.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-03-28 16:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »

Bootcamp won't work with M1 macs. Neither will FFXI even if it did, since XI is a 32-bit x86 application and M1 is not x86.

M1 has some supporting instructions to assist in running x86 emulation on it. CrossOver and PlayOnMac both allow for running a WINE environment that does x86 to ARM translation. It's not nearly as good as running on a real x86 platform, but it'll get the job done for most folks, especially when combined with DXVK to translate DirectX to Vulkan. Oh and don't expect it to look good or Windower to work.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2023-03-28 16:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

First of all, thank you everyone for the replies and extra inputs.

Secondly, holy snap! I feel more confused than before, hahah. I guess there truly are a lot of options and some trial and error when it comes to setting up something on a platform that wasn’t meant for ffxi.

Being used to Xbox graphics, I’m not expecting more, and I will accomodate for a little less. So to sum it up for the case, I will need bootcamp, Windows and PoL, correct? Which Windows version should run best?
By Dodik 2023-03-28 17:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Oh and don't expect it to look good or Windower to work.

You're talking about running Crossover/PlayOnMac on OSX for retail XI with windower on an M1. Yeah, good luck with that :D
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-03-28 18:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Oh and don't expect it to look good or Windower to work.

You're talking about running Crossover/PlayOnMac on OSX for retail XI with windower on an M1. Yeah, good luck with that :D

I mean it works just like 15fps.
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Server: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2023-03-28 20:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Most M1 Macs handle FFXI decent at 30fps through Wine/Crossover and are playable through Ashita & Windower as long as the environment is set up.

It's rather annoying to set up though.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-03-28 22:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
Most M1 Macs handle FFXI decent at 30fps through Wine/Crossover and are playable through Ashita & Windower as long as the environment is set up.

It's rather annoying to set up though.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/final-fantasy-xi?msg=236985

It's quite bad, and will always be bad because emulating one ISA on another is stupidly expensive CPU wise. Usually over one order of magnitudes worth. CPU's are fast enough today that they could, in theory, emulate a full x86 system from the late 90's or early 2000's era. At best your getting FFXI from right around release on a minimum spec system.

So I guess it would depend on what we define as "playable".
[+]
By DrGonzo 2023-04-02 10:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Partitioning, windows install, install as usual. I ran it on a 2007 MBP back in the day for a whole year. Frames kinda garbage, but it definitely worked and was reliable. You should have no issues after install honestly.
[+]
By Rinuko 2023-04-21 14:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to run it on my Mac Mini M1 (on same quality an settings, as I use on Windows 11) but it barely could maintain playable FPS, not even hitting 30 if I recall.

I'm currently playing it on Linux and works fine, after some tweaks to get Windower to work with Wine.

From what I recall from Reddit threads on this matter, some were reporting that running the game in Parallels could be playable by playing at a significantly lower resolution. Something I didn't want to compromise on.

On Linux It runs just as well as on my Windows machine, there are some addons that can cause crashes (from what I read), though.

So YMMV.