New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Dat Modding » Color swapping
Color swapping
By Trishula 2023-01-09 09:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning, everyone.
I'm just getting back into the swing of things with cusomt dat mods, and came across a nice hair mod and the only thing I'm not in love with is the color. I vaguely remember using gc3 and a photoshop to edit colors, but have since forgotten exact steps to get it to work. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could walk me through the steps, or even point me in the right direction.
By RadialArcana 2023-01-09 10:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a few ways but

Texhammer is the new dat / texture tool

https://korithsmods.blogspot.com/p/tex-hammer.html

Find the dat files via altanaviewer

save the texture out

Open them in gimp or photoshop

recolour

save out as DDS-dxt3 (requires a plugin for gimp or photoshop) or png (pallette) depending on the what file type texhammer tells you the image is. Drop it back into the texhammer in the correct area and save. You have to take care to not ruin the alpha texture (The clear areas of the image for hair outlines etc).

Can also use changetex to save out the dxt3 files then use graphics convertor to split the alpha / main textures and save the 2 out, then edit the main texture and put the main/alpha back together in photoshop / gimp and save it out

If you're careful you can just edit the image and not mess with the alpha at all and save it out as a dxt3 without messing with alpha layers and it will be fine. The proper way is to split the alpha and main image into layers so you can put the alpha back after you're done but that's more involved.

there is a discord channel too i think

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffximodding/comments/9ndxhs/resources/
[+]
By Trishula 2023-01-09 21:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright got around to playing around with it, and yeah was able to just edit the image, and not play around with the alpha at all :D