List Of Linkshells Who Help Returning Players.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » List of Linkshells Who Help Returning Players.
List of Linkshells Who Help Returning Players.
First Page 2
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-18 16:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This isn’t for me. I know/have known several players who return to the game after years away and struggle. They solo to a point, and then find nobody willing to help them further. I get it. There’s no incentive for anyone to help. Therefore, several players resort to buying Gil, because of the effort it takes to get up to scratch when you are completely solo with little knowledge of how the game works. It’s easy for those who stuck around and know how to look things up because we gained skills to become self-efficient. We remain motivated enough to hit our solo goals even if we aren't running events.

Returning players don’t understand this, and I understand why. FFXI is a MMORPG. They yell for assistance for V2 Ambuscade and nobody replies. Ok... so they solo VE V2 Ambu all day and maybe get enough to buy one piece? And then quit after losing all motivation to keep playing. Either that or they reach out to get a linkshell. They grab a pearl from the concierge and get excited. Maybe people will play with me?! They say “hello everyone, I’m new here! Nice to meet you!”. Crickets. No one responds. Either that, or they get a few hellos, and maybe even a welcome(!), but it ends there. They request help for Ambuscade and nobody responds. So, they try to stir up conversation, asking how people are and where they are from. Crickets. No one wants to know. They don’t want to waste their precious time doing content with a stranger. For all they know, this guy could leave the game in a week.

FFXI has always been about community. I know on larger servers it’s perhaps easier. There are more active groups that may take people in. But how do returning players know this? Is there a list? Which servers have groups of players who actively try to help returning players back into the fold? Do they exist? Or is it all about the endgame? It’s easy to tell returning players to get some trusts and grind it out for a few months with their new “friends”, but that is anti-social. So, I know the pain from both sides. What FFXI needs in this age is a way to determine who actually cares. Are there groups who, if the returning player proves their motivation, will actively try to help them without asking for a reward? And why does this have to be on a per-server basis?

I am sure there is at least one group on every server that does as I described. With that said, if you are a linkshell leader who believes that you and/or your group members will “actively” help those returning after many years, please let me know and I’ll add you to the list. I’m not on the game until sometime next year, but I don’t mind maintaining this for the lost and confused players who just want nothing more than to play with over like-minded Final Fantasy fans. Thank you.

Linkshells

StruggleCuddles - Airrin of Odin
PurpleNurple - Bluespoons of Asura
Artic Circle - Aquapenguin of Bismarck
CatNap - Choppurr of Bahamut
WelcomeHome - Agerine of Bahamut
Reverie - Brahmsz of Bahamut

Servers not yet on the list: Carbuncle, Cerberus, Fenrir, Lakshmi, Leviathan, Phoenix, Quetzalcoatl, Ragnarok, Shiva, Siren, Sylph & Valefor
[+]
 Valefor.Esdain
Server: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2022-09-18 23:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I pick up random linkpearls sometimes from the NPC. I put them on. Empty or crickets. Thankfully, my trusts always have something to say to me.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-19 14:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

So, no linkshells on any server wanting to put their name on this?

Odin.Airrin
Server: Odin
user: Airrin
By Odin.Airrin 2022-09-19 14:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

"StruggleCuddles" on Odin.

We cater primarily to new and returning players that are looking to get into endgame content or just screw around. Our core group is made up of players that were burnt out doing the nightly endgame LS grinds but still wanted to play. We do a weekly W1 unlocks on Wed and W2/3 farms on Sun., for people that need it as well as Omen Cards/NMs. We also have a few people with Ody NM access to help get people unlocks there too. I'll link our discord if anyone wants to check us out, but only about half of the LS uses the discord. The other half just sticks in in-game LS chat.

https://discord.gg/WFgjHN8y85

But yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. I mean, I pay a sub to play online with other players.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-19 19:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Airrin said: »
"StruggleCuddles" on Odin.

We cater primarily to new and returning players that are looking to get into endgame content or just screw around. Our core group is made up of players that were burnt out doing the nightly endgame LS grinds but still wanted to play. We do a weekly W1 unlocks on Wed and W2/3 farms on Sun., for people that need it as well as Omen Cards/NMs. We also have a few people with Ody NM access to help get people unlocks there too. I'll link our discord if anyone wants to check us out, but only about half of the LS uses the discord. The other half just sticks in in-game LS chat.

https://discord.gg/WFgjHN8y85

But yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. I mean, I pay a sub to play online with other players.

Bravo! It is awesome to know groups like this still exist. I am sure there are several players who will be happy to know. Have fun guys.
 Asura.Bluespoons
Server: Asura
By Asura.Bluespoons 2022-09-19 21:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

PurpleNurple on Asura.

We're a sometimes quiet LS made of returnees, newbies, and long-time players with nothing better to do than give each other hell and help out. We are a social shell, but a lot of us get up to some stuff during the day and are more than happy to force others to join us in death. While we obviously like to actually accomplish things, we'd also much rather have fun wiping to something stupid than win while yelling at each other. Please, keep this in mind if you're a hardass.

We love new and returning players and ask nothing from them but to help other players once they gain the ability to do so. The LS is often a pit stop of sorts, people get their advice, beginner quest help, etc., and find their way to a new ls. This is totally fine with us as we're happy to be a stepping stone towards wherever people feel most comfortable and happy. If you end up liking us (which you will if you have questionable taste in friends), we'd love to see you stick around. With a small mix of playtimes, including EU, there's usually someone on.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-20 15:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bluespoons said: »
PurpleNurple on Asura.

We're a sometimes quiet LS made of returnees, newbies, and long-time players with nothing better to do than give each other hell and help out. We are a social shell, but a lot of us get up to some stuff during the day and are more than happy to force others to join us in death. While we obviously like to actually accomplish things, we'd also much rather have fun wiping to something stupid than win while yelling at each other. Please, keep this in mind if you're a hardass.

We love new and returning players and ask nothing from them but to help other players once they gain the ability to do so. The LS is often a pit stop of sorts, people get their advice, beginner quest help, etc., and find their way to a new ls. This is totally fine with us as we're happy to be a stepping stone towards wherever people feel most comfortable and happy. If you end up liking us (which you will if you have questionable taste in friends), we'd love to see you stick around. With a small mix of playtimes, including EU, there's usually someone on.

I couldn't help but smile while reading this! Most definitely adding you to the list. Sounds like a great LS for those returning on Asura.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2022-09-20 19:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Artic Circle on Bismark
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-21 13:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

3 down, 14 to go. Are there any linkshells on servers other than Asura, Odin, and Bismarck wanting to add to this? Only do so if you actually care and have the time to take care of returning players. Thanks.
 Bahamut.Radda
Server: Bahamut
user: radda
By Bahamut.Radda 2022-09-21 13:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I think WelcomeHome is still active on Bahamut. I could be mistaken, but if they are active, they're a very friendly community that helps returning and, believe it or not, brand new players to the game.

Pretty sure pearls were available through the LS Concierge, and they have a pretty good size Discord list.

Again, idk how active they are anymore, but this came to mind when seeing the post.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-21 13:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Radda said: »
I think WelcomeHome is still active on Bahamut. I could be mistaken, but if they are active, they're a very friendly community that helps returning and, believe it or not, brand new players to the game.

Pretty sure pearls were available through the LS Concierge, and they have a pretty good size Discord list.

Again, idk how active they are anymore, but this came to mind when seeing the post.

Cool. I won't add them to the list unless the LS leader gets in touch, but at least people know it could be an option on Bahamut if it's still active.
 Asura.Schroe
user: Schroe
By Asura.Schroe 2022-09-21 13:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

PurpleNurple on Asura.

I can second these guys. Showed up to Abyssea-Grauberg about 6 weeks ago to get some Alfard fangs for my mule's armor, and he politely asked me to team up so we wouldn't fight over NM spawns. Really nice guys. Most people would tell you to screw off, compete or flat out ignore you.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-21 14:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Schroe said: »
PurpleNurple on Asura.

I can second these guys. Showed up to Abyssea-Grauberg about 6 weeks ago to get some Alfard fangs for my mule's armor, and he politely asked me to team up so we wouldn't fight over NM spawns. Really nice guys. Most people would tell you to screw off, compete or flat out ignore you.

This is FFXI for me. The content is a bonus.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2022-09-21 14:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for the record I am not artic circles leader that's Aquapenguin, I just have a sack and occasionally help out. they do run events and welcome to new players
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-21 15:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
Just for the record I am not artic circles leader that's Aquapenguin, I just have a sack and occasionally help out. they do run events and welcome to new players

Is Aquapenguin alright with me putting their name on this?
By GucciGator 2022-09-21 15:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

any peeps from valefor i wanna come back and play but have no idea where to start from
 Bahamut.Jedigamer
user: Jedigamer
By Bahamut.Jedigamer 2022-09-21 17:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome Home is still up and running and I'm a sack holder. Age still logs in from time to time also. Don't see a whole lot of activity in that shell these days but there are still plenty of people wearing the pearl.
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2022-09-21 21:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Bismarck.Drakelth said: »

Is Aquapenguin alright with me putting their name on this?

That I can't answer lol
By Draylo 2022-09-21 22:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems great, until that returning player after mooching all the help decides to quit for whatever game that had a new patch. I cant blame people for not always wanting to help, it must get tiring seeing that happen over and over. It isn't hard to look up info for various things given the info is right on google.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-09-21 23:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a new LS on Bahamut called "CatNap", leader is Choppurr. :)

EDIT: ^that's for new/returning players >.>

So WelcomeHome and CatNap on Bahamut
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-22 00:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

WelcomeHome sounds like players are in it, but it's not active enough. And is Choppurr alright with being added to this?

Draylo said: »
Seems great, until that returning player after mooching all the help decides to quit for whatever game that had a new patch. I cant blame people for not always wanting to help, it must get tiring seeing that happen over and over. It isn't hard to look up info for various things given the info is right on google.

Yep, I agree. This is why it is up to the returning player to be clear. Are they around for the long term? Or are they packing up for another game in a week? It gives you a very good rep if you don't mess people around before disappearing.
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-09-22 01:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

And is Choppurr alright with being added to this?
[+]
 Odin.Airrin
Server: Odin
user: Airrin
By Odin.Airrin 2022-09-22 11:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

WelcomeHome sounds like players are in it, but it's not active enough. And is Choppurr alright with being added to this?

Yep, I agree. This is why it is up to the returning player to be clear. Are they around for the long term? Or are they packing up for another game in a week? It gives you a very good rep if you don't mess people around before disappearing.

I understand the frustration of investing time in someone just to have them leave. Though I can't presume to speak for any other LS that chooses to advertise in this thread, I can say that we will never exclude someone for "just passing through". We don't expect that a person should stay for any amount of time greater than that which they choose to.
[+]
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2022-09-22 11:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Airrin said: »

I understand the frustration of investing time in someone just to have them leave. Though I can't presume to speak for any other LS that chooses to advertise in this thread, I can say that we will never exclude someone for "just passing through". We don't expect that a person should stay for any amount of time greater than that which they choose to.

It definitely sucks, sometimes more than others. But I try to think of it less as we got used and more as we helped build someone up to the point where they felt confident in going out on their own to meet more people and explore more of the game. Takes the sting out a bit ;)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2022-09-22 12:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I'm always helpful to people needing help with content. My ls-mates definitely similar. I enjoy hearing wierd rand-o shouts for content help that sound like theyre from 2009.

I don't think throwing an ls name on this list helps much outside of whatever the ff11 mmo version of 'virtue signaling is, though.

Newbies, on the whole and in my experience, don't frequent forums. They don't follow wiki.

So many of our newer players ask questions in chat all the time that I wouldn't bother with, cause I can just check the wiki. I always want to answer "dude check online" but I don't want to come off like a jerk. It's the correct answer tho, as they'd open a wealth of knowledge to themselves.

Anyone needs help PM here or in game. Ill help if I'm free from ls events and if I'm actually helping you (not carrying you, for too long anyway)....

I just don't think your potential audience is here...
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-22 13:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd be surprised how knowledge in forum posts get passed around to those who don't frequent them. For example, the advice given in job guides can help a veteran teach a returning player how to use a job they haven't used before.

So, with this list, all it takes is a returning player to ask their veteran friend "are there any linkshells for players like me on this server?", and their friend may frequent the forum and have seen the list. It would be shortsighted to assume most returning players would find this, but if it helps someone, even if it's only a few, it's better than nothing.

Also, let it be known that I am gaining nothing from doing this. Building bridges is something I've done since my mentor taught me back in 2005. The game is better when people actively try to make connections with others. Sometimes, they just need motivation or a helping hand.

This list isn't about groups that carry others through the game. If you are a returning player and seriously want to play FFXI for the long term, you need to become self-efficient. Don't expect others to carry you through content. There is so much you can do solo. Ask questions, use the Wiki pages, and if you still can't find the answer, come here and make a post.

Last thing. Don't wait for others to set things up. You can get way more done if you build up a reputation as a party leader. Trust me on this. Yeah, it's not easy having that responsibility, it's not always smooth sailing and bad stuff can happen, but the game opens up a lot more when you're not waiting on someone else to start something.

Update: I added CatNap to the list. Thanks!
[+]
By Aquapenguin 2022-09-22 14:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I am totally okay with you putting the name on the list. I'm currently slammed with work and can't play but plenty of people are on to hand out shells and help out.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2022-09-22 20:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Can add Reverie to the list for Bahamut. I don't put pearls on the concierges anymore but still invite newbies and returnees.
[+]
 Bahamut.Agerine
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2022-09-22 20:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

WelcomeHome Leader here,

I have been in an on and off break for a few years now and even tho the linkshell still has about 30-40 people it is rather quiet in there during the last 2 months ive been playing again.

Its always a great shell to get ahold of to help meet folks tho because WelcomeHome at its core is a HUB shell to get to know folks who run endgame stuff.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2022-09-23 15:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So, with this list, all it takes is a returning player to ask their veteran friend "are there any linkshells for players like me on this server?", and their friend may frequent the forum and have seen the list. It would be shortsighted to assume most returning players would find this, but if it helps someone, even if it's only a few, it's better than nothing.

Thats a fair point.
[+]
First Page 2