How Do You Feel About The State Of The Game?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How do you feel about the state of the game?
How do you feel about the state of the game?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2022-06-17 10:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
Aliekber said: »
Also, Trust could use some pruning. Cut out many of the (largely interchangeable) DD trusts to make room for more healers and (especially) support. The best healers and the only actual Geomancer are all locked behind specific Unity memberships, and that sucks. Or at the very least, give us a little more control over what songs/rolls our trusts use, and let us ask them not to melee/WS (I'm looking at YOU, Qultada).

what about ygnas and monberaux? I was under the impression those where the best healers leaving sylvie as clear top unity choice.

Ygnas is the best healer when you don't actually need a healer, I have him and rarely use him. His buffs tend to overwrite the ones you already have and he takes forever to get the TP for them anyway. Almost have Monberaux and friends speak nice things about him so we'll see.

Aliekber said: »
I think the game is the best it's ever been. If I could transport my 2011-era linkshell into this version of the game, it would be utopia.

My only real "you need to do this right now" ask is to make imprimaturs accrue at the same rate as Assault tags.

With that said, I'd like to see more old content revamps a la Neo Nyzul Isle, but geared toward 119-era FFXI. Just some spitball ideas:
- Increase chances of colored Chocobos in Chocobo raising, make it possible to breed a Chocobo that's 50% faster than the monthly mounts (but still callable in the same way)
- Remove per-minute XP/AN caps from Campaign, add 119 versions of Fiat Lux, Cracking Shells, etc.
- Add 119 versions of ANNMs
- Add 119 versions of Assault
- Add 119 Einherjar

Also, Trust could use some pruning. Cut out many of the (largely interchangeable) DD trusts to make room for more healers and (especially) support. The best healers and the only actual Geomancer are all locked behind specific Unity memberships, and that sucks. Or at the very least, give us a little more control over what songs/rolls our trusts use, and let us ask them not to melee/WS (I'm looking at YOU, Qultada).

I've always wanted an iLevel limbus, and not that crap neo-limbux they made. I loved having to run through the different towers, carefully managing time while trying to get folks the most currency / AF upgrade materials. Had to approach the stages differently then finally build a pop set to fight the big bad guys, all fightable as an alliance. Really tired of these short timed fights with a party of six. That encourages hyper optimization, exclusive membership and people being huge *** to each other in the name of "progression".
[+]
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2022-06-17 12:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Almost have Monberaux and friends speak nice things about him so we'll see.

He's pretty dope for things like EP/CP/Farming. Keeps up buffs, never runs out of MP etc.

He's kind of bad for NMs and things that AOE a lot because his position has to be managed or he'll stand in range of everything.

Definitely nice to have though.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-06-17 13:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I've always wanted an iLevel limbus, and not that crap neo-limbux they made. I loved having to run through the different towers, carefully managing time while trying to get folks the most currency / AF upgrade materials. Had to approach the stages differently then finally build a pop set to fight the big bad guys, all fightable as an alliance. Really tired of these short timed fights with a party of six. That encourages hyper optimization, exclusive membership and people being huge *** to each other in the name of "progression".

I always loved the original salvage for that reason. I used to be in a salvage linkshell that would go on runs nightly. Depending on the number of people who attended we would either run one zone with a larger group or two different zones with two smaller groups. Every player had a priority list where they chose 3 armor pieces they wanted from highest to lowest priority, and based on who was attending each night we would attempt to organize runs to hit the maximum number of high priority targets for the people who were running. Run leaders changed from night to night and we took turns taking the role of cell caller and path planner.

It was a fantastic experience that the unique zone design enabled. Four different zones, each with multiple paths. Taking one path blocks off your ability go go a different rout. Each finished piece required 3 different pieces from a different zone, and all of that progress was maintained via google docs. It was the most dynamic event I've ever seen.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-06-17 13:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I like content where you can take an alliance if you want, but is totally beatable with a party of 6. This way your not stuck with people needing to hyper optimize and being open to using different setups and having friends come along.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-06-17 13:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I loved salvage wholeheartedly and despite a few flaws here and there I still think it was one of the best designed event they ever made.
They should've made drops (not cells, the armour drops) somewhat scale in tiers with number of participants.

Given how rare some drops were, the fact that you could only run salvage every X days, the fact that each time you had to pick a zone, the fact that each zone you had to pick a path, the fact that drops weren't 100% and some were very very low... well, it was sorta frustrating.
Other than that, still brilliantly designed though, loved it a lot!
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-06-17 15:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I like content where you can take an alliance if you want, but is totally beatable with a party of 6. This way your not stuck with people needing to hyper optimize and being open to using different setups and having friends come along.

I think it's good to have hard restrictive content like Odyssey OCCASIONALLY but it certainly shouldn't be the norm. It's destructive to LSs for sure and this game is unquestionably better with friends.

The one huge positive I do give Odyssey is you beat the NM, you get access to all the gear immediately so long as you have the gil on hand. No RNG, no ls point systems for loot drops, no drama. R0 isn't good enough for you even though most of the gear is the best in the game already? Upgradeable.

I wish more content's rewards were like that.

FFXI is pretty damn good overall, most major issues have been fixed by the community and the job balance is better then it's ever been.

Most issues people see now are caused by Odyssea being the current "End Game" and presenting it's own restrictions, once newer content gets release that changes. Without getting into niche or specialized setups we have three tank jobs, three healer jobs, and most of the DPS are interchangeable. The only real limit is that BRD and COR are still practically required for every setup, not sure that will ever change.

BRD and COR being required and also 2 of the most expensive jobs in the game is the big reason that 6 person only content is not a great model for content in this game.

I definitely agree that job balance is as good as it's probably ever been. The only real issue is content that prohibits magic damage at all.
[+]
 Bahamut.Demoncard
Server: Bahamut
user: Demoncard
By Bahamut.Demoncard 2022-06-17 22:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kjahl said: »
I'm from Mexico too, (I don't complain about the monthly fee) and no, we can't pay in our currency and PayPal charges a LOT to convert MXN to USD, that's why it's expensive.
I'm from the UK, but I used to use Paysafecard to buy crysta when I was younger. That might be more economical for you than Paypal.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Cesil
Server: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2022-06-19 08:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like it could use some solid updates. New content, more group based stuff that isn't "kill this in 15 min or less", I miss the social aspect of the game, feels very solo based now...

They mentioned in the latest reddit ama that they'd consider adding race change, that would be nice :)
[+]
By Slowforever 2022-06-19 21:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

its fun for a newer player, just finished some rema's clearing odyssey, learning to solo omen bosses, htbf like odin, Min maxing is unlike any other game
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2022-06-19 23:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The largest complaint I have about the game right now is how if you want to gear new jobs, but also maintain good forward momentum on RP from Odyssey, the amount of time you need to put into the game is unreal. It's a 2nd and 3rd job.

This is what my weekly schedule looks like for example:
Mon: 3x Omen Card runs, Ambuscade
Tues: 2x Segments, Ambuscade
Wed: 1~2x 9x amp runs, Dynamis
Thurs: 2x Segments, 3x Omen Card runs
Fri: 4~5x 9x amp runs, ML/Ambuscade
Sat: 2x Segments, Dynamis, Vagary for weekly
Sun: Ambuscade, ML, or take a break day.

Somehow stack any UNMs, HTBFs, Geas-fete, Reforging, Lua building & testing, help with clears for people who are behind, making new REMAs, etc into that as well, because to min/max, you have to.

I know what will be said in reply, "Just don't do all those things". The problem is if you don't keep an Odyssey schedule like that, you extend your RP grind by MONTHS. 6 months can easily turn into 10mo-1yr. If you don't do Dynamis, you don't get clears for any new jobs, and you have to buy your RP for new Su5 necks/weapons that are necessary, which frankly, there's not enough gil to be made without RMTing or soft RMTing through having a mule army, to support the purchase of R25 on Necks and Weapons.

"Just play less jobs to gear up, 5head!". Flexibility is the name of the game. Without it, everything becomes 1000% harder. Job-lock yourself out of Ambuscade, make getting Ody clears/rp impossible because of overlap, etc.

Realistically, I'll be burnt out soon and quit. A lot of friends are in the same boat.

In Soviet Russia, game grinds you!
[+]
By Onimaru 2022-06-20 02:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
In Soviet Russia, game grinds you!

lool
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-06-20 06:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't heard '5head' in at least 4 years and I'm pretty sure I've never seen it in writing. Thanks for starting my week off well^^
[+]
By stuoobey 2022-06-20 07:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

From reading all the comments, the state of the game, really depends on where your character is. A newer player has lots of content to do, while older players, not so much.

Ambuscade becomes something you just do for gil, Same as Omen as you have thousands of cards and all the scales you'll ever need (Just farm detritus), you have all you need from dynamis, necks and weapons maxed.... If you're a hoarder, you'll have stacks of medals, heroism crystals etc...

I was always a hoarder, I remember when ambuscade weapons were released, I had 9 pulse weapons scattered amongst mules :)
[+]
By Musashi232 2022-06-20 07:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

stuoobey said: »
From reading all the comments, the state of the game, really depends on where your character is. A newer player has lots of content to do, while older players, not so much.

Ambuscade becomes something you just do for gil, Same as Omen as you have thousands of cards and all the scales you'll ever need (Just farm detritus), you have all you need from dynamis, necks and weapons maxed.... If you're a hoarder, you'll have stacks of medals, heroism crystals etc...

I was always a hoarder, I remember when ambuscade weapons were released, I had 9 pulse weapons scattered amongst mules :)
YOU THINK new players actually Get to Play a steady Pace for Ambuscade? *** no lol.
 Asura.Aerox
By Asura.Aerox 2022-06-20 07:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

stuoobey said: »

Pretty much. Aside from a few mythic/empy i'd like to toy with nothing much excites me in the game anymore. Even then im so burnt on doing mythic/empy my desire to finish a new one is rock bottom, even been sat on 1500 plates for 6 months now lol

Ody is like a chore which I do only because it and dyna are really the only things my friends do together on the regular. And once you've beat a V20 once its seg grind & rp farm mode.

For me it'd take something like Abysea or RoV levels of new content to get me interested in playing again otherwise my subs only gonna last as long as my friends need me for content.
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2022-06-20 16:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I haven't heard '5head' in at least 4 years and I'm pretty sure I've never seen it in writing. Thanks for starting my week off well^^

It's every old person's duty to appropriate the young kid's slang at least 3-5 years after it was popular.
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2022-06-20 16:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the best kind of content. Give me something that doesn't leave people out.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-06-20 17:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's every old person's duty to appropriate the young kid's slang at least 3-5 years after it was popular.

Oh, that was something big a few years back? (asks the fellow old person) I honestly remember it from College back around 1999 because our 18th Century Counterpoint Professor was one of those balding guys who have a shiny half head, and then right at the crown perfect looking hair- so a buddy said "that dude ain't got a forehead, he's got a fivehead". ^^
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2022-06-20 17:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah yeah, the kids were saying 4head/5head constantly! Admittedly, everything is cyclic. Just like "Sheeesh". So I don't doubt it. When I was doing mythic raiding in WoW a couple of years back and someone failed it was always "Just don't die, 5head" or "Just heal through it, 5head". I had about a decade and a half on those fellas, so I just assume they had their finger on the pulse.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-06-20 18:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I get what you're saying but you aren't forced to do those things. Even if you sit on Odyssey and miss out, you can always do it later. It will be a good thing that you have too much to do. In reality the game has always been like that, we would want more things to add into that rotation. In the past you HAD to do dynamis, had to do limbus, had to do salvage, had to use your assault tags. You had to show up to events for points to earn for x thing. The game has had systems like that since day 1.
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2022-06-20 20:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Even if you sit on Odyssey and miss out, you can always do it later.

I'd ask just about anyone who returned for the 20th about Odyssey catch-up if you're not too familiar. I did it once, I'll never do it again. I try to help people as much as I can because I know how terrible it is.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-06-20 20:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That example schedule makes me so happy that I decided to come back as a casual. It almost hurts my stomach to look at it.

The mentality that you need to be on the tip of the spear is exhausting. The game is a lot more fun when you aren't intentionally trying to burn yourself out.
[+]
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2022-06-21 10:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I know what will be said in reply, "Just don't do all those things". The problem is if you don't keep an Odyssey schedule like that, you extend your RP grind by MONTHS
So you can play the game how you want, but it sure sounds like you are not enjoying all those things.

Why does it matter if it takes you a 1year to cap RP? Its not like we are getting tons of new content to do in the game
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2022-06-21 11:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

My server feels like jp only, from when I used to be able to just join any shout.
By stuoobey 2022-06-21 11:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

heh I remember those days, dyna, limbus, salvage, nyzul, assaults, sky pop farming, sky god farming, sea pop farming, sea god farming to name but a few. You need rest days though, you'll resent the game if you don't have breaks.

It's understandable to want to do the available content, must get RP and ML, but, what I find, is people hit brick walls, they may have the best gear, but nothing new to fight, it just makes already completed content, easier.
[+]
By llAKs0nll 2022-06-21 11:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Really tired of these short timed fights with a party of six. That encourages hyper optimization, exclusive membership and people being huge *** to each other in the name of "progression".
Endgame Content atm is Odyssey 6 man / DynD 18 man / Omen 18 man.

So you’re annoyed w/ one Battlefield out of 3 that doesn’t do exactly the same as every other? All while we know we have Emp+2 otw w/ another Battlefield which will presumably be once again Full Alliance content?

Odyssey is going up to v25 and R30. I don’t see the Problem tbh. If you don’t enjoy Odyssey then don’t do it. Not everything should be tailored around Full Alliance.

The funny thing is that I have dragged as many bodies along to get R15 Nyame as possible which was at least 10-12+ ppl. If y’all are only hooking yourselves up and telling everyone else “tough luck” then that’s on you. Once I get V20 clears, everybody I know, will also have R25 Nyame as well so again I fail to see the actual Problem here. There’s nothing to complain about.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-06-21 12:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

llAKs0nll said: »
So you’re annoyed w/ one Battlefield out of 3 that doesn’t do exactly the same as every other? All while we know we have Emp+2 otw w/ another Battlefield which will presumably be once again Full Alliance content?

Odyssey is going up to v25 and R30. I don’t see the Problem tbh.

I think a lot of people with stable situations love Odyssey- its asking things of us as players we haven't been asked to do before, and if you have that predictable six-man, its great.

But a really unique feature from day one in FFXI with HNMs and original Dynamis has been the alliance. For so long the best drops in game have come from Alliance content, and of course as gear creep and understanding grow we bring fewer and fewer to those things to increase rewards per person. But they are designed for Alliances, which allows some wiggle room.

I think the big complaint with Odyssey is that while yes, its only 1 event and other larger scale content exists, when you put the current best gear (for over a year running) in a limited space content, it breaks up linkshells that have existed for years. It forces groups that had been functioning with 8-12 people to make hard choices among friends. And while some 6-man content is very much needed, not having at least some things come from the big stuff is frustrating.

I compare it to when Omen was released and was limited to 6 people. Shells were furious because we had built these big groups to tackle Delve prior and those groups were still around. And while we were forced to a few nights a week "break up" those big groups for our AF+3, we still had Aeonics for everyone to get together and keep that large LS feel.

For many groups, there's just no need for groups larger than 6 any more. And if your personal schedule or job array didn't allow you to fit into an early built Odyssey Static, its a very lonely time in game for many.

Again- I personally love Odyssey. I'm also not foolish enough to think my experience is everyone's (I do believe most understand this and feel the same, outward attitude notwithstanding). But we do need something that justifies the future existence of linkshells beyond social reasons.
[+]
 Valefor.Furyspawn
Server: Valefor
user: Furyspawn
By Valefor.Furyspawn 2022-06-21 12:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Really tired of these short timed fights with a party of six. That encourages hyper optimization, exclusive membership and people being huge *** to each other in the name of "progression".
Endgame Content atm is Odyssey 6 man / DynD 18 man / Omen 18 man.

Odyssey is going up to v25 and R30. I don’t see the Problem tbh.

The limited number of participants in Odyssey isn't the only issue.

There's a short duration where you penalize yourself if you don't bring an optimum setup, with little to no room for the flexibility and experimentation both unique to the game and available to other content. You also need a static to make any significant progress unless you're paying for RP.
[+]
By llAKs0nll 2022-06-21 12:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Again- I personally love Odyssey. I'm also not foolish enough to think my experience is everyone's (I do believe most understand this and feel the same, outward attitude notwithstanding). But we do need something that justifies the future existence of linkshells beyond social reasons.
We have had NNI which required 6 Man setup and even far less Jobs to use demanding a SCH w/ Embrava which completely alienated every other Mage back when such was the Prime Event.

It’s WAY easier now atm to hookup others w/ R25 Nyame from outside your static than it ever was back then to say gear some random w/ a Thaumus Coat. I get what you’re saying yet 6 man content ain’t exactly NEW to the game.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-06-21 12:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

We have had NNI which required 6 Man setup and even far less Jobs to use demanding a SCH w/ Embrava which completely alienated every other Mage back when such was the Prime Event.

It’s WAY easier now atm to hookup others w/ R25 Nyame from outside your static than it ever was back then to say gear some random w/ a Thaumus Coat. I get what you’re saying yet 6 man content ain’t exactly NEW to the game.

Oh completely! And in fact I personally think having some kind of high value 6man content is super important to the game's life. You can't always find a full or even partial alliance to do things but you still want to progress, and 6man content really facilitates that.

I just think there always needs to remain a relevant 18 man option out there to pair with it. And while I still very much enjoy Dyna-D for the gil source and really finessing sets in wave3 for new jobs, many view that content as "get my unlocks and RUN". Yeah, that's partially on them, but it has been almost 5 years since SE gave us a new ally-based content.
[+]