Recommended Jobs For A Trio?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Recommended jobs for a trio?
Recommended jobs for a trio?
First Page 2
By renault 2022-05-17 11:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Myself and two friends are looking to get into the game as a trio, given that we've heard that much of the game's content up through endgame is relatively friendly for smaller groups. That said, we were hoping to get some insight as to what job combinations would be best for this. We already have one person that is absolutely adamant about playing PUP, so what other jobs would be recommended to best compliment that? Any insight and suggestions are appreciated.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-17 11:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Puppetmaster is a very flexible job, though it's a little heavy on the wallet at the start. Your friend will probably play it more for its damage capabilities until they can find the parts to really make it shine in other roles.

Thanks to the ability to summon NPCs to fill in gaps in your party, your friends really can pick anything they think might be fun. Every job really does bring something unique to a party.
 Bahamut.Brixy
Guide Maker
Server: Bahamut
user: Brixy
By Bahamut.Brixy 2022-05-17 11:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP works well as a tank with other pet jobs since an auto with proper attachments has insanely high self sustain and pets are disposable enmity (smn more so than bst). They are also immune to things like charm and death. PUP + SMN/BST + COR/GEO would work well as an easy mode trio

You could go a more mage focused setup by having the puppetmaster solo skillchains for magic bursting as well.
PUP + BLM/SCH/GEO/RDM/BLUx2

PUP is a wildcard. It can do a litle bit of everything really depending on what you focus on. Master dps with support auto, magic burst with blm auto, super tank with valoredge auto, etc...
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2022-05-17 11:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i wish autos were immune to death
[+]
 Bahamut.Brixy
Guide Maker
Server: Bahamut
user: Brixy
By Bahamut.Brixy 2022-05-17 12:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Summoner pets are immune to most forms of death. The only thing I can think of offhand is Zantetsuken that ignores their immunity (more of an ohko than a death ability anyways). Does that not apply to automatons as well? I don't play pup nearly as much as smn.
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2022-05-17 12:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I recommend 3 bards, one on strings, one on horns, and one singing. If you are lucky, one of the taverns will hire you full time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-05-17 13:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're set on PUP for one of the jobs...

COR is the only job that can directly buff pets, so that's one good possibility that helps a lot for fights where you might rely on the puppet to do some damage (it's very strong in some situations using Overdrive and going to town). Of course, when you don't need that you can enjoy COR's powerful buffs for players. COR also has a lot of flexibility to dish out solid damage, either melee with daggers or swords, or standing back and shooting while the puppet tanks. COR can also use strong physical WS (Savage Blade, Evisceration, Last Stand) OR magical WS (Leaden Salute, Wildfire) to take advantage of targets that are more susceptible to a certain type.

If you want other "jack of all trades" type jobs, can't really go wrong with BLU (the most flexible) or DNC. DNC lacks much magic damage, but otherwise can do a lot: damage, potent debuffs, cures, switch to a very tanky role on the fly (Fan Dance!), etc.

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Puppetmaster is a very flexible job, though it's a little heavy on the wallet at the start. Your friend will probably play it more for its damage capabilities until they can find the parts to really make it shine in other roles.

I actually think it's much easier to gear PUP to take advantage of the automaton's strength at tanking, and it fills that role much more effectively than PUP acting as a sub-par DD. Grab (a) some pet DT- pieces (Rao/+1 set is easily accessible, Taeon is also excellent), (b) a handful of attachments (Flashbulb, Strobe I and II, Optical Fiber I and II, Auto-repair Kits, and PDT/MDT attachments), and (c) get at least 100 Job Points for more attachment elemental capacity (eventually increasing more at 1200+ JP) - and you're good to go as a solid tank for any single targets that don't use Doom (kills puppets with no ability to cure).

I'm a longtime serious PUP since the job was released in 2006, and IMO it has only been in fairly recent years where automaton tanking became common that the job even has a real strong niche. I would argue that it's not really quite as flexible as people often claim, it can do a lot of things sorta badly... but PUP really does two things well:
(1) Tanking - sturdy as hell, with the downside that it can struggle holding hate (especially off of powerful melee DDs). This is the real defining niche of PUP in the current game.
(2) Supplemental DD that is not as good as a more dedicated DD job. Damage is going to skew way in favor of the master, don't fall for the trap of trying to gimp the master damage to make the puppet perform - you'll do far better going all out master DPS.

Aside from specific Automaton-focused fights with Overdrive, PUP's damage capabilities are more like a mediocre MNK. If someone wants to play mostly as a damage dealer, I'd honestly suggest another job. PUP's DPS is on the level of something like a DD Bard, but without buffs to help the rest of your party. It helps to contribute, but not something you'll want to use as the focal point of your party's damage.

Mage puppets are somewhat obsolete:
a) The BLM has some niche use, particularly magic bursting in CP/Mastery level parties. It's not as effective on difficult targets, and making the puppet nuke tends to be inefficient and slow. You might hit occasional big nukes, but spellcasting frequency and wresting with the AI can be a struggle.

b) The WHM was more useful before trust healers, but now has been mostly overtaken by trusts.

c) The RDM is super niche, but I use it sometimes when in a party and not needing the puppet to do any tanking. Some enfeebles on the mob, and will do a good job of keeping Haste II up on the master (but not party members)
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-17 13:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
I actually think it's much easier to gear PUP to take advantage of the automaton's strength at tanking, and it fills that role much more effectively than PUP acting as a sub-par DD. Grab (a) some pet DT- pieces (Rao/+1 set is easily accessible, Taeon is also excellent), (b) a handful of attachments (Flashbulb, Strobe I and II, Optical Fiber I and II, Auto-repair Kits, and PDT/MDT attachments), and (c) get at least 100 Job Points for more attachment elemental capacity (eventually increasing more at 1200+ JP) - and you're good to go as a solid tank for any single targets that don't use Doom (kills puppets with no ability to cure).
I was kinda thinking levels 1 thru 98.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2022-05-17 13:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

First thing I would keep in mind is that you can swap jobs, and arguably, the game (on some level) is designed for players to adapt to different content by doing so.

It's also not going to be super important for a while. Trusts are pretty solid in the XP ranges, and/or you can pretty well outlevel a lot of content (or hit 99 and slap on i119 gear).
Some of the Adoulin content and later will start benefiting from more strategy, and in turn, group composition.

However, you shouldn't feel like you need to set up for that from the get-go. All three of you will end up needing to XP several jobs into the 50s, if only to have relevant support jobs available.

That said...

At more endgame-ish levels, you'll tend to find that Trust usefulness gets more limited. They can still fill in fairly well for healing, certain buffs/support, and some tanking, but they aren't going to carry you like they can early on.

What I'd suggest is to have your PUP aficionado start on MNK. PUP is most likely the most esoteric job in the game, with a fair bit of built-in expense that no other job can really take advantage of (sort of an aspect of pet jobs in general).
MNK is, well, at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Super straightforward, solid DD in almost all content that can often excel in lowman scenarios with a single DD/tank. It shares a fair bit of gear/skills with PUP, making it something that they wouldn't have to go too far out of their way to make viable as an alternative.

You will likely want one if not both of the other party members to be able to field support jobs. Succeeding at endgame content in this game is *highly* dependent on having good buffs and enfeebles.

As mentioned, COR is the only one with pet-specific buffs, and it gives the potential for a full spread of damage types. A prime pick, especially if you'll be using PUP as much as possible.

I would suggest maybe having this person also level THF to some degree. Again, you have (some) gear crossover, and the thought would be that trading off some of the extra buffs for Treasure Hunter if farming stuff probably makes sense.

Third slot my inclination is RDM for most things. Gives you an array of support/enfeebling, decent healing, nuking. or even potentially a decent melee DD, depending.

Following the trend, this player could also take up BLU to be a (typically) stronger DD and very powerful AoE nuker, which is handy to have available for a lot.

Other common trio support options are GEO and BRD - GEO could work, but it'd be harder to fully support a pet strategy. Still, very easy job to get going if/when you want one in the mix.
For a non-pet setup, a BRD is usually great, if not key... but they can't do much for pets, and fully equipping a BRD takes a bit. Still, might be one someone in your group might want to consider.
[+]
 Asura.Cordyfox
Server: Asura
user: Cordyfox
By Asura.Cordyfox 2022-05-17 14:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
I was kinda thinking levels 1 thru 98.
Literally anything will work because you can just use trusts to fill the holes you have. DD Trusts suck at 119, but there are very capable ones from 1-98.
By smii 2022-05-20 14:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP, GEO, RDM. This should cover most things. Haste, heals, buffs/debuffs, skillchains and bursting.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2022-05-20 16:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP COR RDM. Not only does that cover everything, COR and RDM are themselves two of the more fun jobs to play. I see a lot of people recommending GEO, which is possibly the most dull job in the whole game.
 Phoenix.Iocus
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-05-20 20:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Trusts are going to make getting to max level pretty reasonable compared to any other era of this game. You need to get one of the first 6 jobs to 30 before you can unlock other jobs. Try to get chocobos/mounts as quick as you can because it will nullify your need for sneak and invisible in outside zones which can make a lot of quests very easy.

If one of you wants to be a PUP then the obvious choices are COR and RDM. It's hard to buff automatons, basically just COR, but it's easier to debuff targets. When you get to later stages of the game, accuracy can become an issue depending on your gear so it's easy to meet accuracy requirements with magic than expensive or difficult to acquire gear. Both jobs can also do ranged damage to avoid more dangerous fights. GEO can do debuffs and ranged damage but there are instances where that is less true.

Fair warnings, COR and RDM are extremely expensive and gear intensive over the long term, but they can go extremely far with gear. They are probably too good at top form but that's how you get people to play supports.

I will mirror that you want someone to also level a THF for treasure hunter. It helps people starting out disproportionately because it applies more to earlier content. I also mirror BLU because AoE cleaving will eventually help you when you get to level 99 and start working on job points, you can also do BST for this. It is common for BLU to sub job RDM because of Phalanx and they share a lot of important gear, but they also work very well side by side because the RDM can just cast Phalanx 2 on the BLU. THF, COR, and BLU share a lot of gear. PUP specifically shares an extra set of gear with SAM, NIN, and MNK.

It's less important to consolidate gear than it was previously, but if it's gear you have to buy, then you'll need fewer copies and save money that way.

I don't recommend GEO initially because you have to travel a lot to get to Adoulin to unlock the job and then even more travel to get all your GEO spells. SE does not know how to balance GEO so in a large amount of content it is broken in a good way, but in later content it's broken in a bad way.

PLD and DRK are both very durable and useful jobs when played well and can see a lot of use in a lot of situations. DRG gets Super Jump which can be very useful with a PUP tank because it lets them drop all their hate and make tanking a cake walk. Other jobs can eventually get Super Jump from a subjob, but that is much later.

The biggest thing I would stress is that this game's job system is flexible so don't shy away from trying new ones if you don't enjoy a job. It is definitely easier to raise your 2nd and subsequent jobs to 99 after you've done it once, especially with friends helping you.
By Afania 2022-05-21 03:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP COR GEO. PUP tank, COR buff itself and be the main DD, GEO buff COR.

Preference aside, I'm not a fan of PUP COR RDM personally. Because malaise is so good for leaden/wf. I wouldn't give up malaise for lowman. Most lowman content dies so fast with leaden/WF. Sometimes it's the difference between killing ***super fast and not.
By IGDC 2022-05-21 06:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eightball said: »
I recommend 3 bards, one on strings, one on horns, and one singing. If you are lucky, one of the taverns will hire you full time.

been TOO long since i've read a post this good.
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2022-05-21 07:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You aren't limited to one job in ffxi. There's no need for people to pigeonhole themselves into one job when theyre all so easy to level quickly.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-21 07:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
You aren't limited to one job in ffxi. There's no need for people to pigeonhole themselves into one job when theyre all so easy to level quickly.

I think it's more about how much time you want to spend on the game and what you want to accomplish. Obviously you can play all 22 jobs and you can make even BLM a good melee DD with enough support and bis items. In threads like those tho, it's more about what setup is easier to start with and enjoy most of the game without the need to grind for a year first. Ofc some people can enjoy grind the most and you are free to suggest such approach too and OP can choose to follow that suggestion :P
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2022-05-21 09:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not asking them to play 22 jobs. I'm pointing out that they can do 2 or 3 for flexibility/fun easily instead of being stuck to one job. Especially in the middle of the current campaigns. And grind for a year? I walked into reisenjima with a lv 1 cor mule and it was in the 80s within less than 10 minutes. Levels are not a problem or time sink in this game if you have friends or just halfass things with some trusts. Admittedly pup is more flexible than other jobs due to it's tanking, dd and nuking roles it can do.
Gear might be a problem if they do something outside of the armour type their main jobs wear 75+, but even that has been streamlined and it's not a damn race.

I see no reason to expect them to be trying to zerg to 99 and past literal decades of content they could be having fun with. They aren't losing out on some sort of limited time event by not being 99. Interpreting my statement as expecting them to go into a major time sink is expecting them to have some sort of deadline for casually playing around and adventuring with friends which is the exact opposite of casual.
 Siren.Kruel
Server: Siren
user: Kruel666
By Siren.Kruel 2022-05-21 10:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

renault said: »
Myself and two friends are looking to get into the game as a trio, given that we've heard that much of the game's content up through endgame is relatively friendly for smaller groups. That said, we were hoping to get some insight as to what job combinations would be best for this. We already have one person that is absolutely adamant about playing PUP, so what other jobs would be recommended to best compliment that? Any insight and suggestions are appreciated.
If PUP is set in stone, PUP, COR, BRD works very well end game once you get them well geared. (not to say they don't work well early too).

PUP melee with buffs from the other 2 can do legit damage, just get a good waltz set, use a healer trust, and go /dnc, and use the right frame for the right situations eg. WHM frame works very well when i'm the only DD on Kei and such, tank frames and ventriloquy mean as long as an NM won't 1 shot you, the puppetmaster can tank many things in game while being the main DD.

PUP can be a multi stepping machine when buffed.

Then you always have the "press this button for easy mode" Overdrive for many NM's in the game that'll die to it inside the 3 mins 20 sec duration with COR pet rolls.

Finally, both COR and BRD are capable of serious DD when geared also, with all 3 DD'ing even some of the toughest NM's in the game drop fast.

Just giving you another option, i'm sure some of the other setups people are recommending are good also, this one I use regularly to great effect.

I didn't even mention BLM or RDM automaton too, and multiple other setups for this job combo, but don't want this to turn into a wall of text.
By SimonSes 2022-05-21 11:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
I'm not asking them to play 22 jobs. I'm pointing out that they can do 2 or 3 for flexibility/fun easily instead of being stuck to one job. Especially in the middle of the current campaigns. And grind for a year? I walked into reisenjima with a lv 1 cor mule and it was in the 80s within less than 10 minutes. Levels are not a problem or time sink in this game if you have friends or just halfass things with some trusts. Admittedly pup is more flexible than other jobs due to it's tanking, dd and nuking roles it can do.
Gear might be a problem if they do something outside of the armour type their main jobs wear 75+, but even that has been streamlined and it's not a damn race.

I see no reason to expect them to be trying to zerg to 99 and past literal decades of content they could be having fun with. They aren't losing out on some sort of limited time event by not being 99. Interpreting my statement as expecting them to go into a major time sink is expecting them to have some sort of deadline for casually playing around and adventuring with friends which is the exact opposite of casual.

I'm just saying there is nothing wrong with people suggesting specific 3 jobs setups here. Ofc you can play more jobs, but some setups are so versatile, that you can do most of the game with them. Also 99 level is sometimes like few % of the progress at making job to end game standard, so not sure why even using time to make 99lv as argument.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2022-05-21 14:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK COR RDM, ulmia joac Silvia for trusts. Go smash ***.

MNK is an absolute beast to tank and DD at same time. Best player I know is on MNK 95% of the time and very few things can challenge it.

RDM buffs debuffs cures and a SC partner. The RDM trusts do not slap on all debuffs/buffs possible.

COR is great buffs and great SC partner. There is no good COR trust.

The combo of trusts keeps marches up full time, and will alternate their other 2 songs between refresh and acc. Sylvie helps with cures and adds another layer of buffs with some bubbles.

BRDs and GEOs are all over the place, so if you find yourself grouping with another set of players, you become even more potent than with trusts.

I am currently using NIN instead of MNK, similar/better survivability on mediocre content, slower kills. Soon as my MNK is geared to the level of my NIN it'll be MNK for alot of what I tackle while on my own.

Edit: my buddy MNK could take any omen boss and W3 dynamics with just trusts in pre-odyssea gear. He is always geared well during any meta though.

Gear and job familiarity always play a part in success when attempting harder and harder content.
By Starbucks 2022-05-21 15:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG NIN BST
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-05-21 17:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
my buddy MNK could take any omen boss and W3 dynamics with just trusts in pre-odyssea gear.

LOL.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Yiazmaat
user: Rudra
By Carbuncle.Yiazmaat 2022-05-21 18:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
so if you find yourself grouping with another set of players, you become even more potent than with trusts.
When i think that some ppl might discover that its actually what the game is designed for lol.
By SimonSes 2022-05-21 18:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Quote:
my buddy MNK could take any omen boss and W3 dynamics with just trusts in pre-odyssea gear.

LOL.

I mean, Omen bosses sure, but W3 dynamis?.. no..
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-05-21 21:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, Fu, Kyou, Kei, and Kin all seem extremely difficult for a MNK to solo with trusts. I'll give you Gin, sure, probably fine. But how are you dealing with Target, Kei's Regen, Unfaltering Bravado, and Ebullient Nullification on MNK with trusts?
 Phoenix.Iocus
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-05-22 05:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't get too far off topic. The OP is looking for suggestions and helpful insight. We don't need to heavily scrutinize questionable claims about someone's friend going super sayan on W3.

MNK is a good tank AND dps for lowman situations, which is what a trio is. MNK gets nice and tough with Phalanx which is RDM or SCH/RDM and both jobs provide them more than just that to the party. MNK wants Attack and Crit to do their best damage which is COR again. MNK brings defense down to the group by switching to a staff at the beginning of the fight and then switching back to h2h. Also Mantra to give the whole party Max HP up, which is very useful when used appropriately.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-22 08:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I mean, Fu, Kyou, Kei, and Kin all seem extremely difficult for a MNK to solo with trusts. I'll give you Gin, sure, probably fine. But how are you dealing with Target, Kei's Regen, Unfaltering Bravado, and Ebullient Nullification on MNK with trusts?

Target - Monberaux cover
Bravado - Face tank. It's only 2500 damage
Ebullient - Easy to survive with full Malignace. Use trusts with Dispel
Kris's Regen - multistep light destroys it

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
MNK is a good tank AND dps for lowman situations, which is what a trio is. MNK gets nice and tough with Phalanx which is RDM or SCH/RDM and both jobs provide them more than just that to the party. MNK wants Attack and Crit to do their best damage which is COR again. MNK brings defense down to the group by switching to a staff at the beginning of the fight and then switching back to h2h. Also Mantra to give the whole party Max HP up, which is very useful when used appropriately.

All that is true, but I think the biggest advantage of monk is subtle blow and reduced TP feed with Chi blast(penance). If you also get BST, SMN or /smn as support and reset tp with Caith, then you can cheese a lot of hard fights.
Otherwise there are better jobs that synergize with phalanx or jobs that tank better while DDing (BLU or RUN for example).
I think it could be a good idea to also think about PLD. PLD with Sakpata and Naegling is also great tank and decent DD (especially when supertanking or with DNC as support). It also opens up easy access to monthly Ambuscades (PLD,COR and RDM will have easy start with Ambuscade pug almost every month). Sakpata can be R0, Nyame might require rankings, but even without Nyame and better dps, PLD can focus on tanking and healing and unlock full DPS on other two jobs. If your friend will make just pup, you might have a hard time making most Ambuscades and Ambuscade is kinda primary objective for new and returning players.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-05-22 08:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Ebullient - Easy to survive with full Malignace. Use trusts with Dispel
From my experience, even if you pick trusts with only the most important buffs for killing it, it still does super high damage even in full DT just because they refuse to stay out of range. For a real healer it wouldn't be a huge deal for a monk, but trusts aren't amazing healers. Not saying it's impossible, but I wouldn't call it easy.

I've also never seen a trust have even close to enough MACC to land dispel on the omen bosses.
First Page 2