Coming Back. - Where To? - How To?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Coming back. - where to? - how to?
Coming back. - where to? - how to?
By Comickaze 2022-04-21 14:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone,

Long time player of the game with an on and off subscription for the last 5 years or so.

Managed to come back for a bit and get some content and experience with some old friends getting me some stuff merc'd after a transfer to Asura, but I am really wanting to come back, learn, and settle myself into an active play group moving forward.

I reactivated 2 months ago again on Asura and couldnt really find anywhere to fit in.

I know there are some other active servers that are more achievement and community driven, but where?

And also where is a good starting point for me to read up. I got some mastered classes (i see some new rank system there now)

And i got my hands on a couple REMA. (COR, WAR, etc.)

Thanks for any help you can give.
By Starbucks 2022-04-21 20:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't played for near 18 months and because I know I'd be gimp because I didn't have the time to kill the same bosses 100x each to get the best gear I guess I'll never play again
[+]
 Bahamut.Mhysa
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Nathoo
By Bahamut.Mhysa 2022-04-21 20:15:21
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of servers, I would say Bahamut and Odin to be able to get groups and not have to pay for everything. Catching up gearwise should be somewhat easy. If you’re concerned about Odyssey, I am sure that a lot of groups can help you get up to speed. Best of luck!
[+]
 Asura.Tanardin
Server: Asura
user: Tanardin
By Asura.Tanardin 2022-04-21 21:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Its been a few years since I played but even back then on Asura when I shouted for whatever end game content I wanted to do and get a group I would get multiple tells from people trying to sell me that content.

Has the community on Asura collapsed even more? The shout box doesn't paint a good picture lol.

Anyways, Id try to find a active linkshell for the server you want to go to first on here, reddit, or discord. Would suck if you transferred and still couldn't find a good group.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2022-04-21 22:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mhysa said: »
In terms of servers, I would say Bahamut and Odin to be able to get groups and not have to pay for everything. Catching up gearwise should be somewhat easy. If you’re concerned about Odyssey, I am sure that a lot of groups can help you get up to speed. Best of luck!
I would add bismark to this list
[+]
By llAKs0nll 2022-04-22 00:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Comickaze said: »
Hello everyone,
after a transfer to Asura
I honestly think that’s the worst idea imaginable tbh.

I came back after quitting for 5+ years in 2016 on Siren server w/ a few old friends who migrated to Asura and definitely planned on going there to Asura to join them but then realized……….

I don’t have to wait 30min - 1 hour just to enter HTMB fights and can spam such w/ zero delay?

I can do DynD w/o waiting as well……
I can also do Odyssey w/o any delay whatsoever….

So I’m never leaving Siren. Asura would only end up holding me back via slowing me down. Only went to Asura recently to buy AH items that were vastly more cheap than on my server via sending a mule. That’s the only reason I suggest anyone as a “Returning” player ever go to that server.

I suggest leaving Asura behind via migrating to a far less populated server after finding an EGLS that is in demand of the Jobs you have to offer whom also setup Events during a timeframe where you can be online attending such routinely.
[+]
 Asura.Disclai
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2022-04-22 07:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

llAKs0nll said: »
Hello everyone,

I came back after quitting for 5+ years in 2016 on Siren server w/ a few old friends who migrated to Asura and definitely planned on going there to Asura to join them but then realized……….

I don’t have to wait 30min - 1 hour just to enter HTMB fights and can spam such w/ zero delay?

So I’m never leaving Siren. Asura would only end up holding me back via slowing me down. Only went to Asura recently to buy AH items that were vastly more cheap than on my server via sending a mule. That’s the only reason I suggest anyone as a “Returning” player ever go to that server.

I suggest leaving Asura behind via migrating to a far less populated server after finding an EGLS that is in demand of the Jobs you have to offer whom also setup Events during a timeframe where you can be online attending such routinely.

People always grossly overstate the wait times and other problems of Asura, TBH.

No, you don't often have to wait for HTBF. Only the Selbina ones occasionally have a wait now, but it's usually pretty short. Sometimes it's long (10min+ wait), but that's uncommon.

Ambuscade is more likely to have a 0-5 page wait than anything longer, unless you're queuing at an exceptionally busy time. Same with Omen. Those busy times happen, sure -- card campaigns can see Omen have an hour long wait, for instance -- but it's far from the majority of the time. Exceptions rather than the rule.

Even Einherjar is generally not bad. In the past week I've farmed ~60k ichor, and have only had to wait longer than 2 minutes... once or twice? Just create a trade macro and communicate; people are generally nice about sharing lamps.

Odyssey, being current content, is obviously more busy, but even it has short/non-existent wait times more often than not. Only gets to be 10+ pages (15-30min) on select nights nowadays, though it was popping after the v20 update.

It's also abundantly possible to progress on Asura without paying mercs or RMT for a solitary thing, you just have to find an LS or actively engage in PUGing. And if it's PUGing one wants, there's no more active server. Just filter out the yell spam with an addon and you're golden.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Bahamut and Odin are perfectly fine, and deader servers serviceable for a multi-boxer, but the Asura complaints are always hilariously hyperbolic. If anything, I wish there was a larger server than Asura; it's only had ~2500 characters online lately, as opposed to ~3500-4000+ in 2020.
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2022-04-22 07:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Disclai said: »
llAKs0nll said: »
Hello everyone,

People always grossly overstate the wait times and other problems of Asura, TBH.

No, you don't often have to wait for HTBF. Only the Selbina ones occasionally have a wait now, but it's usually pretty short. Sometimes it's long (10min+ wait), but that's uncommon.

Ambuscade is more likely to have a 0-5 page wait than anything longer, unless you're queuing at an exceptionally busy time. Same with Omen. Those busy times happen, sure -- card campaigns can see Omen have an hour long wait, for instance -- but it's far from the majority of the time. Exceptions rather than the rule.

Even Einherjar is generally not bad. In the past week I've farmed ~60k ichor, and have only had to wait longer than 2 minutes... once or twice? Just create a trade macro and communicate; people are generally nice about sharing lamps.

Odyssey, being current content, is obviously more busy, but even it has short/non-existent wait times more often than not. Only gets to be 10+ pages (15-30min) on select nights nowadays, though it was popping after the v20 update.

It's also abundantly possible to progress on Asura without paying mercs or RMT for a solitary thing, you just have to find an LS or actively engage in PUGing. And if it's PUGing one wants, there's no more active server. Just filter out the yell spam with an addon and you're golden.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Bahamut and Odin are perfectly fine, and deader servers serviceable for a multi-boxer, but the Asura complaints are always hilariously hyperbolic. If anything, I wish there was a larger server than Asura; it's only had ~2500 characters online lately, as opposed to ~3500-4000+ in 2020.

Your wsit for 1 card campaign omen is longer than all my waits on bismark in the last 4 years. I think asurans grossly underestimate how toxic the server is, Ive met a ton of people on bismark who've transferred out and not one regrets it beyond the odd shopping trip.
By RadialArcana 2022-04-22 08:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
I think asurans grossly underestimate how toxic the server is

say asura is toxic one more time and ill fite u

In all seriousness though it's not as bad as people say, the issue is some people have a very low tolerance because they are used to hugboxes. I've seen far worse from HNM so seeing a handful of people being asshats in /yell is nothing to me. Almost everyone I come across is more or less decent, the ones that aren't...who cares.
 Asura.Disclai
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2022-04-22 08:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
Your wsit for 1 card campaign omen is longer than all my waits on bismark in the last 4 years. I think asurans grossly underestimate how toxic the server is, Ive met a ton of people on bismark who've transferred out and not one regrets it beyond the odd shopping trip.

Good thing we only get a good card campaign about once every 4 years then! Heh.

Most people on Asura aren't "toxic"; most people are nice. There are occasional dumbasses with ignorant PUG requirements, or ***, but you get that on any MMO.

The fact that people from other servers are having to shell out roundtrip for "shopping trips" should be a red flag for how dead those servers' AHs are relative to Asura's.
By Draylo 2022-04-22 08:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura for the most fun, get onboard the Noah's ark
By llAKs0nll 2022-04-22 09:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Asura for the most fun, get onboard the Noah's ark
I mean the Good NEWS is that he’s alrdy there so might as well give it a go before leaving but yeah Im not going there nor have any desire of doing such any longer. My server has usually 400 ppl online but w/ that also comes an upside to all the gloom. I don’t need PUGs that badly. I just need an EGLS doing Events during times I am available. I think that holds True for everyone no matter where they reside.
Asura.Disclai said: »
The fact that people from other servers are having to shell out roundtrip for "shopping trips" should be a red flag for how dead those servers' AHs are relative to Asura's.
I only went for the WHM Jse su5 Wpn which on Siren sells for 140m vs Asura 70m. Other than that I wouldn’t had ventured over tbh.

I recall the golden age of Diabolos server having 2k to 4k ppl online & if Voidwatch was a thing nowadays such might even matter cuz that’s literally the only time I ever recall doing PUGs nonstop w/ randoms but nowadays it’s all about Odyssey, HTMB and DynD for Returning players & I don’t seriously want to wait in a Que just to do such content.

I don’t need Asura & Asura certainly doesn’t need me.