Which Game Companies Gets Bought Up Next?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Which game companies gets bought up next?
Which game companies gets bought up next?
First Page 2
By RadialArcana 2022-01-19 14:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Mega-corporations go!
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2022-01-19 14:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

hopefully none, but maybe the only one I'd like to see is maybe Sony buying Konami
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2022-01-19 14:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

TurboGrafx gonna buy out Microsoft and Sony outta nowhere

... but not really
[+]
By Felgarr 2022-01-19 21:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

How crazy would it be if an American company like Microsoft bought SE in a hostile takeover?
By Jetackuu 2022-01-19 22:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

no Japanese company would sell out to an American company, it isn't going to happen.

edit: ftfm
[+]
By llAKs0nll 2022-01-20 00:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
hopefully none, but maybe the only one I'd like to see is maybe Sony buying Konami
That… indeed. Since Konami is more into slot machines or w/e it was that they prioritized their focus upon rather than gaming. Give the MGS franchise to someone capable of continuing the series w/ or w/o Hideo Kojima but if SONY owns Konami + Kojima works for SONY might as well go w/ that if indeed Kojima holds any interest in such.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2022-01-20 01:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Take Two is the most likely candidate for a buy out for companies wishing to enter the US market.

However, they don't have a cash cow like WoW and similar MMO. They have GTA series and RDD which are okay. Honestly, they aren't really a good buy.

Honestly, nobody real wants to buy a cross country team unless they really want market penetration. SE bought Io interactive for the US market penetration and that didn't workout for them. I doubt any UD company would want an old Japanese company. Ideally, they would setup a small company in Japan, hire the very cheap and talented women in Japan to do market research and make games.

Microsoft might have done this since they wanted Xbox to go far but they just offered Activision (a much better buy) and their bonds stopped printing money since the Fed aren't buying so they probably just going to go with the domestic route and wait for the deal to go forward.
By ksoze 2022-01-20 02:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Stonks
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-01-20 08:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
no American company would buy out a Japanese company, it isn't going to happen.

I'm not hugely into shares and how this works but from what I understand it goes like this.

Big investment corporations are mass buying up shares in these companies behind the scenes, the only thing these big corporations care about is money and they are really cut-throat in how they work.

Activision / Blizzard shares were eaten up by Black Rock and Vanguard Group among others over the years, who had nearly a hundred million shares. So all Microsoft has to do is goto these investment companies and offer to buy out their shares (the price was low cause of the controversy and had little chance of recovering since all the talent is gone) and boom they effectively own Activision Blizzard. ActiBlizz didn't want to sell, they had no choice in the matter.

If you were conspiracy minded you could even think that this entire smear against Blizzard was blown up by the press now in order to make what happened, happen. Since almost all the allegations were/will never be proven and they were over 10+ years old. I guarantee you these stories will all magically dissappear now, or at least the press won't talk about it as they were. If you have enough money, you can make pretty much anything happen in the court of public opinion these days. Allegations are all you need to destroy a person or company.

Square Enix have similar companies buying up their shares behind the scenes, JP Morgan I believe is trying it on there. Once the 78 year old guy (Yasuhiro Fukushima) who has 20%? shares passes there will be a panic and a potential shock buyout.

I really hate how these companies keep going public, Square Enix should of never done it. Now they have to continually dig money out of their players to turn a profit for the share holders every year, or the major share holders will consider selling and then some big megacorp can buy them up and potentially take control.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2022-01-20 16:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm I highly doubt Nexon will be sold to an international conglomerate, that is Chaebol territory. At most the founders would sell to another Korean Chaebol if they didn't want to do the regular Chaebol practice of handing it to the family.

Just dug a little and yeah no chance, Nexon is owned by NXC Corporation which is a Korean holding company owned almost entirely by one man, the founder of Nexon who just also happens to be the CEO of NXC. Koreans who make it big like that tend to keep ahold of the business entity by handing leadership positions to family member. It's how the Lee family has maintained control over the Samsung Group for so long.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2022-01-20 16:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
no American company would buy out a Japanese company, it isn't going to happen.

I'm not hugely into shares and how this works but from what I understand it goes like this.

Big investment corporations are mass buying up shares in these companies behind the scenes, the only thing these big corporations care about is money and they are really cut-throat in how they work.

Activision / Blizzard shares were eaten up by Black Rock and Vanguard Group among others over the years, who had nearly a hundred million shares. So all Microsoft has to do is goto these investment companies and offer to buy out their shares (the price was low cause of the controversy and had little chance of recovering since all the talent is gone) and boom they effectively own Activision Blizzard. ActiBlizz didn't want to sell, they had no choice in the matter.

If you were conspiracy minded you could even think that this entire smear against Blizzard was blown up by the press now in order to make what happened, happen. Since almost all the allegations were/will never be proven and they were over 10+ years old. I guarantee you these stories will all magically dissappear now, or at least the press won't talk about it as they were. If you have enough money, you can make pretty much anything happen in the court of public opinion these days. Allegations are all you need to destroy a person or company.

Square Enix have similar companies buying up their shares behind the scenes, JP Morgan I believe is trying it on there. Once the 78 year old guy (Yasuhiro Fukushima) who has 20%? shares passes there will be a panic and a potential shock buyout.

I really hate how these companies keep going public, Square Enix should of never done it. Now they have to continually dig money out of their players to turn a profit for the share holders every year, or the major share holders will consider selling and then some big megacorp can buy them up and potentially take control.

What you described is usually called a takeover. Essentially, the buyer give the shareholders a price way higher than the market rate. As long as enough shareholders agree to sell then the buyer will own the majority of the shares. This is usually done through contracts in advance before they reveal the buyout offer.

The ones who had the contracts would try to convince the rest of the shareholders to sell while the rest of the not so lucky guys (esp the CEO) would try to stay in power and spin a tale to make it look like they shouldn't sell.

Of course, they want to hide this fact for as long as possible because if the shareholders got the information then they will raise their prices in advance by teaming up. There are also other ways to prevent the company from falling into the control of another company.

This is all legal but sometimes there are companies who don't want to be controlled so some of the shareholders would drum up their team and try to raise their prices by not selling or offering a higher price than the buyer willing to buy. They could also try to sell away their valuable products to make them less valuable or do something to make acquiring them a costly project.

However, I think Microsoft case is a bit less hostile so the board will have time to consider the offer.
By nothing 2022-01-20 21:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think companies being bought up is necessarily bad. Let's face it, Blizzard turned into a ***tier company. And whether you like Microsoft or not, I've played their games, and they seem to be more solid than Blizzards recent track record.

I swear Blizzard used code to make their games not work half the time just because they knew their servers couldn't handle the load. Maybe with bigger money behind them, that wont be an issue anymore.
 Lakshmi.Cesil
Server: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2022-01-20 22:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing said: »
I don't think companies being bought up is necessarily bad. Let's face it, Blizzard turned into a ***tier company. And whether you like Microsoft or not, I've played their games, and they seem to be more solid than Blizzards recent track record.

I swear Blizzard used code to make their games not work half the time just because they knew their servers couldn't handle the load. Maybe with bigger money behind them, that wont be an issue anymore.

I agree! I have all consoles and a pc but I find myself playing my xbox series x the most, but to each their own :)

The only thing that could happen is Microsoft might put their own people to work on some of those games. I don't really play any Activision games, but hopefully stuff will improve.
By nothing 2022-01-21 07:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

"I really hate how these companies keep going public, Square Enix should of never done it. Now they have to continually dig money out of their players to turn a profit for the share holders every year, or the major share holders will consider selling and then some big megacorp can buy them up and potentially take control."

the SEC basically forces companies to go public once they reach certain thresholds. The SEC prohibits private companies from having more than 500 shareholders, and over 10 million dollars in assets.
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2022-01-21 07:34:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how idiot millennials on plebbit who have zero understanding of how economy works are trying to blame ***like this on capitalism.

Monopolization is a failure of capitalism, not the goal of it.
By nothing 2022-01-21 07:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Inspectorgadget said: »
Monopolization is a failure of capitalism, not the goal of it.

Monopolies are the state. Has nothing to do with capitalism, as they don't exist under capitalism without a state.
By Jetackuu 2022-01-21 08:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

the SEC basically forces companies to go public once they reach certain thresholds. The SEC prohibits private companies from having more than 500 shareholders, and over 10 million dollars in assets.

which really has nothing to do with a Japanese company...
By nothing 2022-01-21 08:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

he said companies. plural. meaning he was talking about more than one.
By RadialArcana 2022-01-21 09:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

"I really hate how these companies keep going public, Square Enix should of never done it. Now they have to continually dig money out of their players to turn a profit for the share holders every year, or the major share holders will consider selling and then some big megacorp can buy them up and potentially take control."

Valve is still a private company, it's mainly about greed. There are obviously ways around it.
By RadialArcana 2022-01-21 09:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny that one of the things that lead to the demise of blizzard was lootboxes and the cash shop in wow, this lead to massive profits in the years they were added and that lead to massive increases in the share price due to big buy ins from investors.

These investors then demanded a return on this investment, which meant pressure to keep increasing profits year on year and so more and more cash shop garbage and more predatory tactics.
By Jetackuu 2022-01-21 10:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

and yet SE is a specific company. Try to keep up.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2022-01-21 11:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny that one of the things that lead to the demise of blizzard was lootboxes and the cash shop in wow, this lead to massive profits in the years they were added and that lead to massive increases in the share price due to big buy ins from investors.

These investors then demanded a return on this investment, which meant pressure to keep increasing profits year on year and so more and more cash shop garbage and more predatory tactics.

Should've told the investors their lootboxes were junk and please try again. Then the investors could relate to the playerbase that got screwed over
By nothing 2022-01-21 21:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Two separate statements were made. I responded to one of them. Im not sure why this needs to be explained. Why don't you try to keep up mate.
By nothing 2022-01-21 21:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Its just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE management is all it is. You make profits by offering a great product. I guess the CEOs and managers at activision blizzard missed that memo and instead tried to be lazy with cash grabs whilst *** over the customer with products that never work or are uninspired garbage. They needed to get rid of the idiots running the show, so maybe now Microsoft is going to with the buy up.
By Felgarr 2022-01-21 21:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Cesil said: »

I agree! I have all consoles and a pc but I find myself playing my xbox series x the most, but to each their own :)

The only thing that could happen is Microsoft might put their own people to work on some of those games. I don't really play any Activision games, but hopefully stuff will improve.

What are you playing on Xbox? I just got a series X and I've never owned any xbox before. :/
By Musashi232 2022-01-21 22:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
SONY doing that would be great lol, damn i thought square would be much higher than that,
By Musashi232 2022-01-21 22:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
Lakshmi.Cesil said: »

What are you playing on Xbox? I just got a series X and I've never owned any xbox before. :/

i am going to kill you, go to microsoft store buy lost odyessy or go get the game pass, from the subscription. it plays exactly like FF4
https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/store/lost-odyssey/BZB4S8FS8T5B/0001
By Jetackuu 2022-01-21 22:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Two separate statements were made. I responded to one of them. Im not sure why this needs to be explained. Why don't you try to keep up mate.

Not your mate. Aye, and the second statement is rendered moot as it's irrelevant to the original statement. Reading comprehension, do you need it?
By nothing 2022-01-22 03:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Not your mate. Aye, and the second statement is rendered moot as it's irrelevant to the original statement. Reading comprehension, do you need it?

it isnt rendered moot. he made two separate ones. but anyway, im not sure why you want to cling to this rather irrelevant part of the discussion. seems rather bizarre.
First Page 2