Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » <what's the battle plan? >
<what's the battle plan? >
By Shichishito 2022-01-03 00:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

when ever i have to communicate even the most basic strategies with auto-translate i can't help but fail miserably.

i'd like to learn so i figured let's make it a mini game: explain a common end game strategy.
if you can decipher it it's your turn to formulate a strat. as a little bonus you can suggest a few words you'd like to get auto-translated.
and remember, <please use the auto-translate function.>

i'll start~

strategy:
<Naegling> <everyone>!

key word suggestions:
- sub job (screw <support job> and <support role job> cause ambiguous)
- tactical points (and/or TP)
- damage
- cooldown
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-01-03 07:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

{Summoner} {battle strategies}: {/think} {No thanks.} {Astral Conduit} {Yes, please.}
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-01-03 08:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

{What weapons can you use?}: {Naegling}
{In what order shall we do our weapon skills?}: {Savage Blade} > {Savage Blade} > {Savage Blade} > {Savage Blade}
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-03 09:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

{Warrior}{Meat}{Shield}
{Corsair}{Fisherman}
{Scholar}{Healing magic}
etc
By Shichishito 2022-01-03 10:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Freehugs said: »
{Mithra} {Rear} {hole} {fun} {Can I have it?} {Giant Donko} {Penta Thrust} {You can have this.}
iirc they removed giant donko from auto translate long ago. instructions unclear, no {Rear} {hole} {fun} was had. mission failed and you won't get em next time.
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-03 10:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
iirc they removed giant donko from auto translate long ago. instructions unclear, no {Rear} {hole} {fun} was had. mission failed and you won't get em next time.
{Hands}{Down}{Trousers}{Jerkin}{Meat} was also rendered impossible

{Are you alone?}{Child}{I have plans.} is still possible if you want to creep people out, though.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2022-01-03 10:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

They didn't. You just have to type /translate "Giant Donko" and go to items when you hit tab to translate for it to appear, unless you've seen one recently.
[+]
By Shichishito 2022-01-03 10:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

oh my, teach me more of those hidden auto-translate jutsus senpai!
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 10:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

They just did. That's the whole thing. Type the command and it adds the item.

The item list only holds the last 200 seen items or so
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-03 10:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
They didn't. You just have to type /translate "Giant Donko" and go to items when you hit tab to translate for it to appear, unless you've seen one recently.
Yeah, but we don't have a work around for {*** Helm} anymore.
[+]
By Shichishito 2022-01-03 10:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, now that we got the obvious stuff out of the way lets try something a little more challanging. maybe this months ambu V1 VD the way it's intended?
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-01-03 15:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

This was always how I said that one.

Doll Gizmo is simply better with the Giant Donko.

This is an important thread, indeed.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 15:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
ok, now that we got the obvious stuff out of the way lets try something a little more challanging. maybe this months ambu V1 VD the way it's intended?

Not even worth attempting. You can say <stop> <attack> <SP> <follow> /point <t> But some things just can't be expressed to pick up groups regardless the context or the language

I recall seriously being annoyed attempting to explain to the SAM that kept messing up the mamool ja with auras, no matter how simply I explained it, it wasn't going to happen.

It was as simple as <stop> <weaponskill> >> <weaponskill> ok! but they would just engage and fudo before any auras could be broken, every time. There's no answer for ignorance.
By Shichishito 2022-01-03 22:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

it's not necessarily ignorance, i think it's more the sloppy implementation of the auto-translate feature combined with the countless exceptions to the rules of FFXI.

i vaguely remember doing ambu with a JP group and they wanted me to reset my ability timers.
i think he used the phrase "{Cure] {Job Ability}" or variations of it. i just returned from a long break and i didn't know or couldn't remember that you can reset job ability cooldowns by job changing. however i did remember that you can't reset 2hour cooldowns just by changing jobs, that required a revitaliser in abyssea, so i figured it wouldn't work with regular abilities either.
i'm sure dude was convinced i'm dense AF but with the infos i had "cure job ability" simply didn't add up for me.

imho the auto-translate is too limited. if a word or a phrase is missing it becomes a slow search and guessing game in hopes your imrpovisation doesn't get lost in translation. as soon as something needs more context or a explanation, which most of FFXIs content does, the auto-translate becomes futile.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 22:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Well short of an actual translation system where your typed sentence comes out in another language there's always going to be issues.
By Shichishito 2022-01-03 22:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

true, but if you decide against region servers like almost every other multiplayer game does then you better have a damn good translation tool.
the absence of TP, damage and cooldown is a pretty strong indication that they never really tried.
it's not just that it wasn't perfect from the get go, i think in those 20 years it never got any major improvements or updates to the dictionary, they only added new item names.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 22:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. Well there was (is) really no incentive for them to care enough to bother. Many a thing they should've / could've done better.