What Should Replace "Most Viewed"?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » What should replace "Most Viewed"?
What should replace "Most Viewed"?
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-01-02 00:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think they have ever once done any name purge I ever knew about. Maybe during server merges or transfers, people would lose names to others that had their names on their destination server already. That or a GM force name change are the only times you get access to the "Rename your character" when you try to log in.
By Draylo 2022-01-02 00:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

They usually have a filter that automatically blocks you from creating certain names. The ones I saw in the most viewed would def be on that list.
 Phoenix.Beerus
Server: Phoenix
user: Nioooo
By Phoenix.Beerus 2022-01-02 06:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it is kinda handy to be honest.
 Quetzalcoatl.Tesseracta
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tussell
By Quetzalcoatl.Tesseracta 2022-01-02 23:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
Honestly, and this is just my two cents... the front page of the site should be de-cluttered to a much simpler format & aesthetic:

1) Keep the NRSSs ew Feed ticker.
This is lazy.
By miraeldito 2022-01-03 07:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

May be add a box with the number of active char per server?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 07:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

miraeldito said: »
https://www.ffxiah.com/database
By miraeldito 2022-01-03 08:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
miraeldito said: »
https://www.ffxiah.com/database

yes, almost all the info on the main page can be found somewhere else in the site.....
 Odin.Airrin
Server: Odin
user: Airrin
By Odin.Airrin 2022-01-03 11:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

There's the monthly ambuscade reward rotation. Could have a widget with what's currently available and the market value of the items. I've met a few new players recently that didn't realize how much they would able to earn each month via the event. Maybe even have some sort of current gil per hallmark/gallantry feature.

Another option could be the most sold items, I guess? Would allow new and returning players, or even struggling players, to see what's in high demand.

Maybe some kind of player marketplace sort of thing? Like, static advertising for purchasing or selling a single uncommon expensive items or items in bulk? I know we have forums and a bazaar/wanted option, but I've never had anyone contact me about items in my wanted list in the past, so maybe something on the front page would get more attention? But I guess something like this would be abused way too easily.

You could have a thing where if you're presently logged in, theres a quick menu or something that shows your registered characters' recent sales.

I guess the low hanging fruit is something like some sort of Twitter feed to tweets with the FFXI tag or something.

Ultimately, it needs to be something useful. To say something is "already somewhere else, somewhere in the site" is lazy. Outside of new players joining the game, nothing will provide new traffic to the site without changing the intent/focus of the site at least, so the solutions need to cater to the current users. So things like convenience, usability improvements, or tools to improve the in-game experience of new, returning, and current players.

Presently, none of the "most viewed" windows add anything to the experience. I, in all the years I've played this game, have ever gleaned anything of use from them. I mean, what does "most viewed" really mean? For whatever reason, any group of people could just start looking at walnut wands or something a bunch and, bam, its on the most viewed. The closest thing would be something I came to look up just happened to be on the most viewed so I didn't have to type it in the search. Hell, my LS members and I have also been harassed by players who used FFXIAH to stalk us. Which almost caused me to quit the game. I was IRL stalked by a girl on Odin who tracked me down IRL using FFXIAH and MySpace... So it was stressful to see my character on the most viewed list for weeks when they were harassing us. The worst was when they started sending us messages like "We know who you are and where you're from" and "We are watching you". That's just my experience with it.
By Mattelot 2022-01-03 13:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Airrin said: »
Another option could be the most sold items, I guess? Would allow new and returning players, or even struggling players, to see what's in high demand.

Or entice people with gil to spare the option to buy the AH out then inflate for profit.

I'm sorry if that sounded dismissive but sleazeballs will be sleazeballs.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-01-03 13:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

1) What should replace it?
A big list of people with the most titles or highest mastery rank <_< >_>

2) If you think it should stay, why?
I like it for being able to get to my profile easier and see my AH stuff, but sure remove it it's nbd
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 13:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You click your own name out of the most viewed list, instead of clicking the picture on the right that leads to the same page?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2022-01-03 14:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

People do plenty of things by habit or muscle memory! Gimme a break here. Sheesh. I already said they can just get rid of it, lol

edit: and no, I didn't even know clicking the picture did that
 Odin.Airrin
user: Airrin
By Odin.Airrin 2022-01-03 14:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »

Or entice people with gil to spare the option to buy the AH out then inflate for profit.

I'm sorry if that sounded dismissive but sleazeballs will be sleazeballs.

Doesn't sound dismissive, it's a counterpoint or whatever the correct word is. That said, I would argue sleazeballs are already sleazeballing in said manner. Botting medals and other Neck/Dyna-D Weap ingredients. I'm sure other things are being AH botted too. Though it might impact the low population servers differently. Smaller economies are easier to control, or at least I would imagine. So I'll amend my suggestion:

How about instead of the most selling items, it just lists REMA and maybe purchasable Artifact/Relic/Empy Armor ingredients with their current stock and estimated market value on whatever server you have selected?

It might be too much work, but what about a customizable watchlist on your logged-in front page? For example, you're looking for Plutons, a Voodoo Schaller, Divine Logs and IDK, chicken bones? You could have a convenient list of things with prices and stock that you are actually using/want/need for whatever reason you choose. I guess that could still be sleazeballed by people trying to play the markets, but you could do that anyway with just a few extra steps. But having a shopping list with your most used items could be neat I guess? Not an auto-populating list, manual.

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
People do plenty of things by habit or muscle memory! Gimme a break here. Sheesh. I already said they can just get rid of it, lol

edit: and no, I didn't even know clicking the picture did that

I still use the player search bar to check mine >.>;
[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2022-01-03 14:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Literally anything.

You can have a embedded loop of 'Baby Shark' playing in that section and it'd be an improvement.
By Mattelot 2022-01-03 16:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

what about a customizable watchlist

Now that is a good idea that I'd surely use. Probably a stretch but it would be cool to be able to enter your mobile number and if something you're after goes in stock, you could get a push notification. Don't know how many times there was something (and not even expensive) has slipped right past me.
 Asura.Nalfey
user: Nalf
By Asura.Nalfey 2022-01-03 17:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Having a list that updates every day with the items needed for guild points for each craft would be nice
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 17:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.ffxiah.com/guild-pattern

I mean look, ALL of these "ideas" are ONE extra click away. I'm not saying I care if/what but god damn.
 Odin.Foxmulder
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-03 17:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
https://www.ffxiah.com/guild-pattern

I mean look, ALL of these "ideas" are ONE extra click away. I'm not saying I care if/what but god damn.

That's how I feel about most of these suggestions. Some of them are even on every page.
By Mattelot 2022-01-03 17:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody said they weren't. They're just asking what to put up in your face as soon as you log in. Phones have widgets for the same concept. You can open your weather app with 1 tap to see what the temp is or a widget keeps it live on your front screen.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 17:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

But dood. They are literally in the menu on the left on the main page, why would they also need a second spot on the main page.
By Mattelot 2022-01-03 17:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Same reason I said widgets are used.

Call it laziness. Call it conveniency.

The man asked, people are just tossing mud against the wall to see what sticks. I'd rather see a bunch of suggestions that may not be the best than no suggestions and stick to the status quo that apparently wasn't worth anything.
[+]
 Asura.Nalfey
By Asura.Nalfey 2022-01-03 18:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Eiryl everything can be found in sub pages. The whole point of a home page is getting info at a glance without having to search for it.
Maybe try coming up with some ideas yourself instead of saying everything is crap ?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-03 18:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it really "searching" when it's one click.

The ***I care about is fixing whats already there and not working. I don't give a ***about most viewed or the feefees that get hurt by abusing it. Much rather the shout box worked correctly and pix got updated with reasonable expedience and prices were reflected more appropriately.

But I'm still going to input how stupid it is to have information "here" and THE SAME information half a mouse scroll over here too. Try not to "cheese sandwich" this one.
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-01-03 18:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on your definition. Sometimes, that simple quick view is just nice to have.

My point still stands. Why have widgets on your phone to show the temp when you can open the weather app with 1 tap? Same can be said for many other apps people use. Stocks, moon phase, etc.

I do agree with you, the shout box would be nice if it were quicker somehow.
 Asura.Nalfey
By Asura.Nalfey 2022-01-03 19:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You should learn to shut up when your contributions are useless kid, it's getting boring seeing you moan every damn day.
If you dont care then just don't read, and don't reply, the world will be a much better place without you.
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-01-03 19:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't go that far. Eiryl has made good contributions. This was just a case of catching flies with vinegar vs honey.
[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2022-01-03 20:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't go that far. Eiryl has made good contributions. This was just a case of catching flies with vinegar vs honey.

the only thing Eiryl contributes while repeatedly skirting the rules of this forum is absolute horse diarrhea in the form of a forums post. If I had it my way his *** would have been permabanned a long time ago.
[+]
 Phoenix.Serveroz
Server: Phoenix
user: Serveroz
By Phoenix.Serveroz 2022-01-03 20:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Server live population would be cool.
That way players that play at different timezones could figure out the best server to play.
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-01-04 06:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Inspectorgadget said: »

the only thing Eiryl contributes while repeatedly skirting the rules of this forum is absolute horse diarrhea in the form of a forums post. If I had it my way his *** would have been permabanned a long time ago.

To be fair, there are several people who "skirt" the rules of this forum, some who even break them and get away with it. This is not exclusive to Eiryl.

And as someone who has moderated forums for longer than many here have even been alive, permabanning is never to be taken lightly. People love to, in their anger, insist someone deserves to be permabanned. There are people who are overly assertive at times and people think they should be banned. There are people who disagree with you in 1 subject and think you should be banned. These are not the cases. Keep in mind that some people just go through things. They have bad days and sometimes venting on a forum works for them. It doesn't make them bad people and certainly not deserving of a permanent ban. People that do that are garbage mods.

Yes, the rules here are not applied equally to all posters. That being said, try another approach to the poster(s) you think should be banned. Many are smart and have a lot of knowledge but may lack the people skills some are accustomed to.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-01-04 07:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Serveroz said: »
Server live population would be cool.
That way players that play at different timezones could figure out the best server to play.

I think this would further encourage returning players to go to the bigger servers and avoid the less populated.