Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » General » Facing - A Windower Addon
Facing - A Windower Addon
By Zero 2021-12-01 17:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Github has the code. Go there and get the directory to get started.

Facing
An FFXI Windower Addon for determining what direction the player is facing in relation to their target.

Features
  • The direction you must turn to face your target.

• How many degrees you must turn.

• If you have enough TP to use a weapon skill.

• Customizable settings for position, size and color.

Story
Has this ever happened to you?

And you don't know which way to look to face your target?

Having problems where if you use the lock-on method to line yourself up the entire crowd moves and messes up what you were doing? Well I present the solution called Facing.

With it, you get an indicator telling you which way to your target from your character's perspective.

Drop into first person (or use the compact keybindings Q and E) to rotate your character in place and stare your enemies in the face.

The indicator will show straight brackets when you are likely within swinging or weapon skilling angle (but not your distance). It will also turn colors to indicate if you have over 1000 TP to spend.

With it you can easily face your opponents and shut them down.

This can be most useful in cleaving situations, or weapon trials with premevial brew.

How to edit the settings
  1. Login to your character in FFXI

2. Edit the addon's settings file: Windower4\addons\facing\data\settings.xml

3. Save the file

4. Type

Code
    //lua r facing
    in the chat box to reload the addon configuration

Thanks
Built with help from Rubenator.

Changelog
12/1/2021: Initial Release.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2021-12-01 18:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Great idea, trying to change the position has it acting weird.

:Edit:

And found it.
Code
function init()
    local windower_settings = windower.get_windower_settings()
    pos = settings.text_settings.pos
    pos.x = pos.x < -10 and 0 or pos.x >= windower_settings.ui_x_res and windower_settings.ui_x_res - 100 or pos.x
    pos.y = pos.y < -5 and 0 or pos.y >= windower_settings.ui_y_res and windower_settings.ui_y_res - 100 or pos.y
    text:pos(settings.text_settings.pos.x, settings.text_settings.pos.x)
end

Change the last line so that it actually references the y value instead of two x's.
Code
function init()
    local windower_settings = windower.get_windower_settings()
    pos = settings.text_settings.pos
    pos.x = pos.x < -10 and 0 or pos.x >= windower_settings.ui_x_res and windower_settings.ui_x_res - 100 or pos.x
    pos.y = pos.y < -5 and 0 or pos.y >= windower_settings.ui_y_res and windower_settings.ui_y_res - 100 or pos.y
    text:pos(settings.text_settings.pos.x, settings.text_settings.pos.y)
end
By Zero 2021-12-01 18:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fixed and updated! Thank you.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [30 days between previous and next post]
By DaneBlood 2022-01-01 02:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

would it be possible to have it correct your facing if you are locked on a targget,

i always hated how the game does not actually lock on the target facing wise when you lock on a target
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-01 02:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Due to some external events that happened in the real world this week, it may be a moment for Zero to respond to this. He's got some big stuff on his plate right now. If someone wants to answer and provide a mod, I'd say go ahead.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [53 days between previous and next post]
By nattack 2022-02-22 23:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes this is possible, I made adjustments to this addon that can do that sort of thing.

It can break by spamming it, though, which is to say, it can make your camera desync from your character. the only way to fix it when it happens is to relog, but otherwise it seems to be a rarity. You can also get some cool camera angles on your own character, so silver lining I guess?

https://github.com/rjtrenchard/Facing

I removed the images from the readme as I didn't want to use ZS's bandwidth.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-02-23 02:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably beyond the scope of this addon but the game has a condition called "behind", it's used by a few things (Sneak attack and Innin come to mind) where if you're within a certain range of the "perfectly behind" spot, you are considered "behind" that target and will benefit from some things.

Since some monsters have strange shapes and strange positioning of their "perfectly behind" spot, it can be sometimes hard to tell if you're within the acceptable range or not at a given moment.

Wonder if it would be possible to somehow tell this through an addon similar to this?
By nattack 2022-02-23 11:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I looked into it, should be doable if I'm reading the API right.

I'll look into it, perhaps!
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-02-23 12:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

the "behind" it's basically a cone behind the enemy, the "perfectly behind" spot is at the middle of this cone. The further away you are from the enemy, the "larger" it gets, being a cone.
From my experience it's still pretty narrow but I'm not sure how much narrow honestly and I don't know how to tell it but I assume the game has some packet to tell specifically that information so if you can read the data right you should be able to tell.

I think it would be useful because I swear on some targets it's really complicated to tell if you're within the acceptable range or not... Either because those targets have no discernable front/back or because they have strange asymmetrical shapes that make it hard to understand (thinking about you, Shinryu!)