How To Change A Sound Effect Within A .DAT?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Dat Modding » How to change a sound effect within a .DAT?
How to change a sound effect within a .DAT?
 Asura.Vyrren
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: lemonbird
By Asura.Vyrren 2021-11-09 09:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Long story short I've been hearing the same bard songs since 2003 and want to see if I can edit the harp/flute into new sound clips-

However instead of being a song file of their own they're packaged within the visual effect for the song casting/animations.

Any idea how I'd go about this?
By RadialArcana 2021-11-09 10:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The main problem is having a replacement song of a similar length.
By Upbeat 2021-11-09 16:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Been at this for over an hour.

First test was to see if I could edit audio with ChangeTex.
Nope

Second was to see if I could find another program like ChangeTex for audio
Nope

Third was to open and edit a dat’s sound with Audacity
No luck, can not find the right import setting(all I hear is a screetch)

It is possible to add any existing noise from a spell or ja and switch them out with some simple hex editing. So you could switch song A to sound like song X while keeping the song A animation. Probably not what you want to hear lol. Gave it a try. Good luck.

Edit: After closer inspection the hex edit changes the animation too not just audio. So much for that idea. So the hex edit is about as cool as just a regular dat swap.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-11-09 16:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread will probably be able to help.
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/36090/click-click-click/

This post in particular:
Valefor.Esdain said: »
I used AltanaView to find where the sound files were located. (I could have just clicked around in the POL folder. It's pretty obvious where they're stored).

I used a little google-fu and I used Ximc (Final Fantasy XI Music Converter) to change the sound files to playable .wav files.

The Ximc program can be found here:
http://burger.sandwich.net/XIMC.zip

You'll probably want to read this FAQ to get an idea of how to use it. It's very simple, but in Japanese so glance over this guide. It's very old, but so is this game and the basics still work.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/555735-final-fantasy-xi/faqs/30728

There are thousands of sounds in the sound effect folders, but the following one has all the common ones from clicking around in menus and such.
C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\sound\win\se\se000

What I did was click the 2nd button under BGW -> WAV in the Ximc program and convert all files in the sound\win\se\se000 folder one-by-one and then listen to them with my media player.

Obviously back everything up (or at least that one music folder you're fooling around with) in an safe archive somewhere. They're small files in that folder so you should be okay on any system that can run XI.

Anyhoo, glad I could help.

but the link to XIMC.zip is no longer working. A little google search got me here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/gu9liw/ximc_is_it_still_around/

I don't think this is exactly what you're after though. At one time I had badly wanted to replace the audio for when you used Flee job ability to play this but all data was lost due to external hard drive failure including XIMC.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-11-09 16:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It is quite possible because you're not the only one working on it.

[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-11-09 18:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Flute
1.Ed Sheeran
2.ff terra
3.flute
4.flute2

Harp
1.ff battle
2.ff melody of lute
3.greensleaves
4.house of the rising sun

I'll upload a zip with these mods in them tomorrow, simple file swaps.
By RadialArcana 2021-11-09 18:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Locate the SPW files.

sound/win/se/se021:

se021001 = flute
se021002 = harp

Copy these files to somewhere to work on.

Load Ximc

Hit SE on the bottom, then SPW > WAV and convert the files above to wav files.

Find a wav file of some music (can just rip from youtube with ripping websites), load that into audacity.

Load one of the XI sound files into audacity to compare length, cut the music down to be about the same length as the FFXI music.

Mute or delete the XI sound file so only the new one plays, save the wav out as wav (microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM.

Load Ximc

Hit WAV > SPW and convert your wav to an SPW (note, it will not save it as the same file name but a generic spw file name like se001 or whatever and it will always overwrite)

Put that new spw in place of the file in the correct folder, log all the way out and back in. The sound file is stored in memory so it won't change until you log all the way out and back in again.

These don't work with XIpivot since they load before the addon.
[+]
 Asura.Vyrren
By Asura.Vyrren 2021-11-09 23:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh they really are just audio files after all? Thank you so much! Truly!
 Asura.Vyrren
By Asura.Vyrren 2021-11-09 23:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Locate the SPW files.

sound/win/se/se021:

se021001 = flute
se021002 = harp

Copy these files to somewhere to work on.

Load Ximc

Hit SE on the bottom, then SPW > WAV and convert the files above to wav files.

Find a wav file of some music (can just rip from youtube with ripping websites), load that into audacity.

Load one of the XI sound files into audacity to compare length, cut the music down to be about the same length as the FFXI music.

Mute or delete the XI sound file so only the new one plays, save the wav out as wav (microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM.

Load Ximc

Hit WAV > SPW and convert your wav to an SPW (note, it will not save it as the same file name but a generic spw file name like se001 or whatever and it will always overwrite)

Put that new spw in place of the file in the correct folder, log all the way out and back in. The sound file is stored in memory so it won't change until you log all the way out and back in again.

These don't work with XIpivot since they load before the addon.
It worked! I just wanted to say a proper thank you. .DAT modding has become increasingly rare for non UI/utility related stuff and I really appreciate you taking time out your day to help me with something as unimportant as this lol. It really freshens up the game.
[+]