Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2021-06-12
users online
Forum » Windower » General » Balloon Story Addon
Balloon Story Addon
By RadialArcana 2021-09-08 15:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This addon was made by a JP addon creator called Hando and given English support by Yuki. It basically sends all NPC and story dialogue to the chat balloon. I'm posting it since they asked for someone to do so.

Example images:

Video example of the original addon.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Link to addon that was posted on the windower discord:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/641259466494574602/879961675678220338/Balloon.zip

To install this in windower, just put the baloon folder in your windower addon folder and then in the game type //lua l balloon

Development is ongoing but it's usable right now.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-09-08 15:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Bladework
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Bladework
By Asura.Bladework 2021-09-08 15:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it’s fantastic.

This will become a staple for anyone ever looking to return and play through the story. Maybe the Windower folks can incorporate it into the launcher menu eventually.

Arigatogozaimas!
By Draylo 2021-09-08 15:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Very cool addon, enjoyed it so far.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-09-08 16:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems real useful for controller plus television players so they can actually see the dang text
 Ragnarok.Trixi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Trixi
By Ragnarok.Trixi 2021-09-08 18:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that it isn't a nice little visual addon if you come from xiv I guess, but what's the appeal?
By RadialArcana 2021-09-08 19:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're used to playing normal RPG titles you will be used to having story presented in this fashion, so it has an old school rpg feel to it which is very appealing to some.

Also the way the game just shunts all the story into the text box is not only poor from a presentation standpoint but because of how the game works, you very often get the story pushed off the screen from party chat or /yell etc.

Also due to how this addon works you can make custom story box backgrounds for it, here is one I made.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Cesil
Server: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2021-09-08 23:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for this! I love it :)
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-09-15 06:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Some info for Yuki if needed, before I forget what I did.

The font I swapped to, that seemed to offer far better character support is "Meiryo"

I fixed the disappearing bubble sometimes by altering line 141, I think it happens if it registers movement at the exact moment you talk to the npc.

"if moving == true then close_balloon () end" to "If moving == true then end"

at line 289 I changed the delay time to 30 seconds, this kept the balloon from closing in 5 seconds before you could read it under certain circumstances.

I'm not a lua coder, I just fiddled with it and it seemed to have no negative impact and fix the problems I was having. Hope it helps improve the addon.

balloon png

https://i.imgur.com/V3pYCuZ.png
[+]