Forum » FFXI » General » PCGamer article on XI
PCGamer article on XI
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2021-06-01 09:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't see it posted so for those that missed it PCGamer ran an article on XI yesterday at:

https://www.pcgamer.com/life-in-vanadiel-19-years-in-final-fantasy-11-is-still-an-mmo-unlike-any-other/

Seems a bit dated though, no mention of The Voracious Resurgence or plans for upcoming updates, but nice to see XI get attention nevertheless.

Edit: Oh I guess Chanti already linked it in the Random Thoughts thread, but maybe it's worth some discussion on its own.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-06-01 10:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't like that article, it's very negative in places.

This is interesting tho.

Quote:
"One of the major factors that affected FF11 from its release to now was FF14," Matsui said. "FF11 was released as Square’s first MMORPG and we were trying to get people interested in this new genre we were exploring. After FF14’s release as the latest MMORPG in Square Enix’s roster at the time, we wanted to focus on people who still wanted to play an old-school MMORPG with FF11, and see what we could do to cater to that crowd."

Since modern square copy everything Blizzard seems to do, I guess they see FF14 as retail wow and ff11 as classic.

I skimmed but mostly stopped reading at this:

Quote:
Yet they still maintain a dedicated team to continually balance the game. FF11 isn't growing. It's abandoned consoles altogether. A planned smartphone version was canceled. The development team are caretakers, satisfying the hardcore fans who stick around. Someday it will be their job to shut the game down. But that time won't come this month, or this year.

This person doesn't mention the monthly updates, the new storyline or new content at all. He also seems to play on a small server and doesn't seem to know Asura exists at all.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-06-01 10:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Yet they still maintain a dedicated team to continually balance the game.
This is patently false according to their own interviews.

Whole thing is about right for 'gaming journalism', 80IQ retard with nothing worthwhile to say. Would also note that Matix is a 8-10boxer, so he's either an orbiter or buying a dyna clear in the only recent screenshot he posted. Not much anyone can do about it, worthwhile people don't write webicles for clickbait sites.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2021-06-01 10:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ffxiv players seem to have a mindset of asking ffxi players when are you going to play a new game.

Or that ffxi needs more updating or to "just end"

Which is, in my opinion a close minded approach.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Matix
Server: Ragnarok
user: Matix
By Ragnarok.Matix 2021-06-01 10:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

im friends with james/bastille who wrote the article, i was bringing him along to anything i was doing endgame(im 15boxing in that ss) to try to make sure he didn't just see basic mission/trust activities, and we covered quite alot, there was supposed to be ALOT more talk about the state of the game revolving around it being windowed and all that, but it was removed by editors to try to appeal to the most broad/basic audience it could (about 50% of the original article got cut i was told, from 12.5k words to 6700). Cant say i expected some revolutionary article about ffxi in 2021, glad there is still material being written about it though
[+]
 Ragnarok.Bennettz
Server: Ragnarok
user: Bennettz
By Ragnarok.Bennettz 2021-06-01 11:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

12 years hiatus and i came back 1 year ago. having a blast now. It fkn rox. Tarutaru is still so cute~
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-06-01 11:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Matix said: »
(im 15boxing in that ss)

wat
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-06-01 11:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

For an article like this the guy should of gone to Asura, maybe asked to join some proper endgame shell and done some proper content or whatever. I don't have a problem with multiboxing (I have 6 chars myself) but doing content with someone multiboxing just makes the game look bad to them.

He obviously spent time to make this article and still came away with something he pieced together from a new really old interviews. Garbage, bad impression of the game.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-06-01 13:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

No real issues with the article, I just know its really not written with me as the audience in mind. Clearly its more designed for 2 groups- those who left a decade ago like the author and have thought "I wonder if that thing is dead yet" or those who only know of FFXI from other articles (those who play other online games, but never played FFXI).
[+]
By Seun 2021-06-01 16:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm
Server: Asura
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-06-01 16:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
No real issues with the article, I just know its really not written with me as the audience in mind. Clearly its more designed for 2 groups- those who left a decade ago like the author and have thought "I wonder if that thing is dead yet" or those who only know of FFXI from other articles (those who play other online games, but never played FFXI).
an article written for the majority..? wild..
By Draylo 2021-06-01 17:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

15 boxing, says a lot about current players these days lol. The real truth is the company itself are the ones to blame for decline in player base, they barely care about the game. I find it funny how often XIV players love to hate on XI and say it should die already, their precious game is already almost 10 years old lol. The old man calling the other old man an old man.
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-06-01 18:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

ff14 will also be abandoned at some point. SE has proven they will do it once and they saw positive results. it is likely they will do it again.
[+]
By Rips 2021-06-01 18:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

How the hell does one 15 box? I was triboxing and gave that up for dual boxing. Even with send commands... how?

Unless you’re running some homemade luas - or not using all alts to their full potential.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-06-01 19:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Matix said: »
im friends with james/bastille who wrote the article, i was bringing him along to anything i was doing endgame(im 15boxing in that ss) to try to make sure he didn't just see basic mission/trust activities, and we covered quite alot, there was supposed to be ALOT more talk about the state of the game revolving around it being windowed and all that, but it was removed by editors to try to appeal to the most broad/basic audience it could (about 50% of the original article got cut i was told, from 12.5k words to 6700). Cant say i expected some revolutionary article about ffxi in 2021, glad there is still material being written about it though

This guy alone accounts for like 65% of Ragnarok server population.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-01 19:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Rips said: »
How the hell does one 15 box? I was triboxing and gave that up for dual boxing. Even with send commands... how?

Unless you’re running some homemade luas - or not using all alts to their full potential.

replace X with T
[+]
By Draylo 2021-06-01 19:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Rips said: »

Using bots and automated luas, no other way possible.
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-06-01 19:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

nah, he's just using a real nice gamer chair.
[+]
By Matic 2021-06-03 14:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude who wrote the article (James Mielke aka Milkman) was mostly responsible for me selling my xbox to buy a ps2 and ffxi back in the day

He used to write the My Life in Vanadiel column for GMR magazine. Sort of an eternal noob, but the column was entertaining, and clearly good PR for the game. Some of it was pretty cringe though, ngl

Regardless, I still like to go back and read it for the nostalge. In that regard it sits figuratively alongside my Brady Guide.

i think Milkman was always sort of ridiculed by the hardcore EG community since he was really more of a casual player by their standards.

Not sure where he was going with this recent article tbh

It would be interesting if he revived the column and actually shared his experiences playing the game again, instead of just sort of stopping by and giving his (unavoidably skewed) impressions as a journalist. wait, no it actually wouldn't