Zhayolm Remnants
 Asura.Friedrik
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-03-08 13:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I feel like if you think farming alex is a miserable experience, you should hate the whole game, cause that's literally all the game is.

Farm this. Kill that. Nonstop.

That's why you've got to inject yourself into the RMT gil cycle and bypass some of the misery. I made enough gil mercing dyna clears to buy all of my materials, which was really just gil bought from RMTs, which I then used to buy mats from RMTs, which they sold to the dyna buyers so they could buy more runs.

~the circle of life~
By Chaplin 2021-03-08 15:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If it’s miserable, may be time to move to something new.
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-03-08 15:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Chaplin said: »
We're all sitting here playing a game that's old enough to join the army and that gets almost zero real support. It's been that time for everyone for quite some time now, with the exception of the guys in this thread who fleece suckers for real cash.
 Asura.Cordyfox
user: Cordyfox
By Asura.Cordyfox 2021-03-08 15:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bippin said: »
Worth pointing out OP is wanting to get pages and not farm alex. I think most can agree low alex price is nice.

This is really the problem with broken savage and bots running all over it. Sure Alex is so cheap its not even worth farming yourself, but nothing can be done if you trying to farm 18% movement speed feet for bst.
To be fair, I'm doing both as I'm on mythic #4 now :P (kill me.)

But yes, priority here is 18% feet for BST and DNC. If I just wanted Alex, I'd continue to spam Bhaflau like everyone else, I'm pretty good at beating the bots there.

The alternative for Umbrage Plans, of course, is the time-gated Arrapago Remnants. It was annoying for Tiz, it was annoying for Gastra, it's annoying now but at least I can get in. Still need the 45s, though.
By Chaplin 2021-03-08 15:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Friedrik said: »
We're all sitting here playing a game that's old enough to join the army and that gets almost zero real support. It's been that time for everyone for quite some time now, with the exception of the guys in this thread who fleece suckers for real cash.

Not everyone feels exactly the same. I know what it takes to get what I want. If I’m not willing to do the work, I don’t want it bad enough. That’s just me.
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-03-08 16:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Not everyone feels exactly the same. I know what it takes to get what I want. If I’m not willing to do the work, I don’t want it bad enough. That’s just me.

That's not a bad way of looking at things, and if everyone had your point of view the RMT economy would collapse and this thread probably wouldn't exist... but here we are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
By RadialArcana 2021-03-08 16:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This kind of comment makes no sense to me at all, what exactly do you expect from your updates and what other games are you comparing it to?

Almost every mmorpg I've played gets less updates than FFXI does.

Are you comparing it to 14 and Wow alone or the entire market?

A few years ago we were told there would be NO more updates to this game at all, since then we have got DynaD, Odysey a new storyline, as well as new job updates, new trusts and fluff among other things.
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-03-08 16:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »

This kind of comment makes no sense to me at all, what exactly do you expect from your updates and what other games are you comparing it to?

Almost every mmorpg I've played gets less updates than FFXI does.

Are you comparing it to 14 and Wow alone or the entire market?

Go take a walk through Dho Gates on Asura and let me know how much GM support this game gets. The bots have been the same for months since I've been checking. Watch how long it takes Hautsi/Masterwarrior/Masterwarlord/*insert 10 more characters here* to get banned while flooding yell with death threats and racial epithets for hours on end. Hint: it's usually about a month. Just look at how long Odoro lasted. Through it all SE continues releasing STF monthly reports with made up numbers of accounts banned and gil frozen to make us think they're doing something.

Content drops get low/poor/nonexistent quality testing as evidenced by the incredibly hit-or-miss job updates, the first Selbina HTBF breaking geo/roll bonuses, Odyssey suffering crippling latency, Atonement menus not having text, the Voracious Resurgence being nothing but fetch quests (and released with an NPC that didn't have localized translations), and the list goes on and on. These aren't content updates; they're low effort, uninspired carrots on a stick to keep our subs.

I don't agree with Eiryl on many things but he's dead right about one: FFXI players are huge enablers of SE's comically low effort when it comes to maintaining this game. I'm just as guilty of this as you are, but I see it for what it is. And to answer your question I am comparing this game's amount of support to literally every single game-as-a-service that I know of where the developers haven't outright said "we're ceasing support for this game." Even EverQuest is getting expansions FFS.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-03-08 16:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When I played FFXI 10-15 years ago I did Dynamis, Ambuscade, HNM, Salvage for 5-10 years. The same exact content over and over.

I'm not seeing this past age where we had new content coming at us all the time that changed what we did, in-fact when I quit FFXI many years ago and went to play another one. I was put out by monthly maintenance on this other game, because we almost never had them on FFXI. It was updated so infrequently.

The only real content additions FFXI ever got was with paid expansions, they just added the expansion content in patches over the 2 years after the expansion was paid for.

I think this mindset that the game isn't getting much content is more to do with the change in design philosophy away from low drop rates, so the burn rate is higher.

FFXI has never got masses of content outside of paid expansions, and those came pretty infrequently.
By RadialArcana 2021-03-08 17:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people have outlandish expectations for $3 a week tbh.

Maybe because I've played other mmorpgs more than some.
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-03-08 17:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

What we did have back then was far more active curating of the game's integrity. The content stuff only annoys me because the enforcement isn't there, and we're paying more than the average online game sub fee for an absolutely ancient game (wardrobes aren't really optional for long term players). If we're paying 17 a month, the least they can do is have a GM or two clean ***up from time-to-time. They're just riding it out into the sunset though, and I can't really blame them as we're all more than willing to throw our money at them. Still gonna rant sometimes though.
By RadialArcana 2021-03-08 17:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Thing about enforcement is, players of current FFXI want that stuff you complain about.

Players want all these addons so they want lax enforcement of it, players want job point sellers, players want cheap stuff bots enable (as shown in this thread in previous posts). You know this is true.

FFXI isn't here to uphold the honor of playing legit, it's here to try keep players subbed within the budget of the game. If players want job point sellers and a lax policy on 3rd party stuff they will get that. If most players hated job point sellers, they would not use them so the problem would fix itself.

As for being ancient: You like it that way or you would be playing a game that was designed for the modern fortnite generation, just as I would. It's appealing to us and worth paying for because it was designed for us, we are ancient if you want to see it that way xD
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2021-03-08 17:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You like it that way or you would be playing a game that was designed for the modern fortnite generation, just as I would. It's appealing to us and worth paying for because it was designed for us, we are ancient if you want to see it that way xD

I should clarify that by integrity enforcement I mostly mean the ridiculous ***, like JP bots totally taking over apex areas, Alex bots crashing Salvage, etc. Certainly not QoL stuff like GS and ja0wait. There would be like 10 players left if they decided one day to enforce that part of the ToS. That particular genie is wayyy too far out of the bottle to ever go back in, and honestly the game is better when using them.
By Chaplin 2021-03-08 17:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI isn't here to uphold the honor of playing legit, it's here to try keep players subbed within the budget of the game. If players want job point sellers and a lax policy on 3rd party stuff they will get that. If most players hated job point sellers, they would not use them so the problem would fix itself.

Sad but true. If they banned all things “illegal”, I’d have few to play with.

I’m fine with others doing it but I only roll my eyes when someone is only successful because of 3rd party addons and refers to themselves as “elite.”

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By RadialArcana 2021-03-08 18:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI players are so weird, literally been saying the game is dying for the past 15 years. People were saying this on Gamefaqs back in the day.

I can goto near any other fanbase and you never see this kind of talk.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/2484/is-ffxi-dying

2009-04-16 22:52:05
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-03-08 19:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

As for being ancient: You like it that way or you would be playing a game that was designed for the modern fortnite generation, just as I would. It's appealing to us and worth paying for because it was designed for us, we are ancient if you want to see it that way xD

This is why I almost never suggest to other gamers to try out FFXI. They know I love it, have played it for well over a decade- yet I know how different this world is compared to nigh anything else out there.

Even with all the "speed ups" the game has provided over the years vs the original designs, its still just too slow for most contemporary gamers.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-08 19:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It did die. It has been dying. It's very much entirely unrecognizable from what it once was.

A matter of context, "dead" not being shut off but dead as in is an entirely different entity still the same entity.

Evolve or die, both are a death of sorts.
[+]
By Chaplin 2021-03-09 04:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Even with all the "speed ups" the game has provided over the years vs the original designs, its still just too slow for most contemporary gamers.

It’s too slow for the modern day gamers who are all about instant gratification. That’s why WoW is still going well. You can get rewards for practically just logging in. Most new generation gamers don’t like working for what they have. That Or in real life, which is why you had new high school graduates adamant that they should be making $15/hour as a cashier at a dollar store.
[+]
 Asura.Cordyfox
user: Cordyfox
By Asura.Cordyfox 2021-03-09 04:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

That Or in real life, which is why you had new high school graduates adamant that they should be making $15/hour as a cashier at a dollar store.

God forbid labour provide something resembling a "living" wage. Dunno what posseses people to think working for Capitialists A is somehow less deserving than working for Capitalists B with white collars.
[+]
By Chaplin 2021-03-09 04:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

God forbid someone who needs a living wage get a proper job rather than expect the laziest jobs to pay the same as jobs where you bust your hump.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2021-03-09 05:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

God forbid someone who needs a living wage get a proper job rather than expect the laziest jobs to pay the same as jobs where you bust your hump.

God forbid you realize that some people might be stuck in a shitty situation where that’s the only thing they can scrape by doing. 15 dollars an hour is barely a living wage these days. Also, “busting your hump” doesn’t say a lot. I can tell you that some McDonald’s employee works harder than me 90% of the time.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Chaplin 2021-03-09 05:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Calling people names on an Internet forum. You sure showed us.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2021-03-09 07:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Knock off the political crap. I don't get paid enough to deal with that.
[+]