Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Brace yourselves many square Remakes incoming,
Brace yourselves many square Remakes incoming,
By RadialArcana 2021-03-02 17:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

FF7R was a good FF game but not a good FF 7 remake.

Assassins creed is a game where they basically spent tens of millions paying really talented programmers to create all this core game modules, then got rid of most of them (or just didn't replace them when they retired) and then just continually re-use those same modules over and over again. Which means they are forever locked into making the same game over and over with different graphics and minor tweeks.

As crappy as that is though it still doesn't beat the companies that put out the literal exact same game over and over again with minor changes. Fifa, Madden, Farming sim etc.

The worst part about what Ubisoft and EA do though is that they charge $60-$70 for these games, the even worse part is people pay for them at that price over and over again.

I don't blame the companies, I blame the idiotic consumers with way too much money and far too little value for it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-03-02 17:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I also don't blame the industry as much as I blame the consumers. Companies are there to make money. They cater to demand, and if they can get away with putting out utter garbage (ohai EA!), cloning other successful games, or rehashing the same thing in a new package every year, then that's what they'll do.

It's hard to create a brand new formula that actually works and has lasting appeal, but it's up to consumers to drive that incentive. Lately there is the trend of games that are fairly unique, are a huge hit for a couple months, and then suddenly nobody cares about them anymore (e.g. Fall Guys, Among Us, etc.). Clearly the demand for creative ideas is there, it's just harder to justify when others are making sustainable, fat stacks of cash with minimal effort.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-02 17:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
I don't blame the companies, I blame the idiotic consumers with way too much money and far too little value for it.

It's always this. I never blame a company for making money. That's their sole purpose. If something is bad or fails to meet expectations or is an obvious cash grab, that's 100% your fault. Not theirs.

If you ain't buyin it, they ain't makin it. If you give them license to package literal dogshit, you are insane to think you can complain about getting dogshit.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2021-03-02 17:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

look a remake!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-02 17:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

endxen said: »
Too bad Cross was garbage...

If you measure a thing against another thing you hold in unreachable regard you're always going to be disappointed.

Change the viewpoint.

Does Cross measure up to Trigger, no, of course not. Is Cross a great game on it's own merit, absolutely. If you played Cross when you were twelve and then Trigger came out 10 years later you'd feel the same way about Trigger.
By Onimaru 2021-03-02 18:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Given what they've done to FF7 I'm not sure I want many remakes.
Not made with that spirit at least.

Get Nomura away from behind the wheel and we're talking.

Agreed. I dont even wanna remember the ff7 remake.
[+]
 Bismarck.Apathy
Server: Bismarck
user: ApathyMNK
By Bismarck.Apathy 2021-03-02 18:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

If you measure a thing against another thing you hold in unreachable regard you're always going to be disappointed.

Change the viewpoint.

Does Cross measure up to Trigger, no, of course not. Is Cross a great game on it's own merit, absolutely. If you played Cross when you were twelve and then Trigger came out 10 years later you'd feel the same way about Trigger.

Can confirm. I played Cross just before Trigger, since I didn't start JRPGs until FF7. Loved Cross, and my friends were all like "That was nothing. Wait until you play Trigger!" It was meh, aight, not bad. Except spamming the same cross up attacks over and over again late game. That was bad. I still think Cross is better in every way.
Also didn't play 6 until after 7, and thought 6 was at least as good as 7, so I know it's not the graphics thing.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2021-03-02 18:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i loved lost odyessy this was just revealed its mobile tho :(
 Bismarck.Apathy
Server: Bismarck
user: ApathyMNK
By Bismarck.Apathy 2021-03-02 19:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderjet said: »

i loved lost odyessy this was just revealed its mobile tho :(

That's from Mistwalker? Am there for it if so. I'm not familiar with the exactitudes of Apple Arcade though. Means Apple devices onry?

edit: Appears to be apple devices and iOS only, so that sucks.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2021-03-02 19:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Apathy said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »

Change the viewpoint.

Can confirm. I played Cross just before Trigger, since I didn't start JRPGs until FF7. Loved Cross, and my friends were all like "That was nothing. Wait until you play Trigger!" It was meh, aight, not bad. Except spamming the same cross up attacks over and over again late game. That was bad. I still think Cross is better in every way.
Also didn't play 6 until after 7, and thought 6 was at least as good as 7, so I know it's not the graphics thing.

I did write something like this but just gave up in the end, but your experience was pretty much the same as me.

Related to battle system, i still prefer the “classical” approach with ATB. Tbh, i disliked battle mechanics or char progression on Cross, and still dont think i miss that aspect in that game.

But regarding to the story, at first i guess i wasnt mature enough to understand all, even more because you actually need to understand Trigger to understand Cross. Add this to the fact i had pretty poor English reading practice at that time so all this contributed a lot for bad first impression and little interest in replay.

Later i played Trigger. While at that time i had experienced more “complex” storylines like FF7, 8, Tactics, etc, it feel simple, not innovative but functional in its entirety. ATB, classic characters progression (basic lvling and gear upgrades each amount of progress, etc).

But just very later in the road i watched some Trigger + Cross plot analyze. And just then i actually understood Cross, and got amazed how a piece of work can be so related to its predecessor while keeping so little explicit reference. This surely was a masterpiece how well they made a related game so unrelated to its prequel, the entire paradox concept thats the core of Cross, about paradoxes.

Its a masterpiece, indeed.

EDIT: totally worth mention the Cross OST, another great work, on par with all care given on developing such game
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-03-02 19:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

On a related note, FFVII Remake is one of the free games for PS+ this month. Looks like Square-Enix is trying to build up the hype for the upcoming installments.

It's worth noting that if you get it for free it is not eligible for the free upgrade on PS5.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2021-03-02 20:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing Cross was missing was a cavewoman that threw ice blocks and Robo's bomb *** musical theme. It was very enjoyable.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-03-02 21:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The only thing Cross was missing was a cavewoman that threw ice blocks and Robo's bomb *** musical theme. It was very enjoyable.

Mandatory insert here. I know the official story is the Robo theme was an original composition, but the resemblance between it and rick ashley is uncanny. This youtube transposes the two songs on top of one another. It's scary how closely they align.

[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-03-02 23:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cross should've been delayed and released on PS2 instead. They tried to do too much with PS1's limited hardware.
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-03-03 00:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:

Mandatory insert here. I know the official story is the Robo theme was an original composition, but the resemblance between it and rick ashley is uncanny. This youtube transposes the two songs on top of one another. It's scary how closely they align.

THAT. IS. AMAZING.
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2021-03-03 00:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go a step further and argue it was not a good FF game but it was a good game.

The non-MMOs from 1-13 are all turn or atb based. And, outside of 12, it's entirely menu based combat. 12 is the awkward stepchild but it kinda tries to be menu based while real time. If you pick up some of those at random and then pick up another one, you can see the similarities in how they play. 1-3 are purely turn based 4-9+13 are ATB. 10 is kinda ATB but not. 12 kinda simulates ATB with you having to wait to do commands.

My point is with the exception of maybe 2 and 12, if you had someone play a few and then gave them another one but managed to hide the fact it's a FF game they could figure out it's another FF game. 2 if you played another NES game you'd probably figure it out otherwise it's a bit out there and then it being the only NES without jobs would make it harder to guess. And 12 IZA you might get it but like 2 it's a bit out there.

But if you handed them 15 or 7R and again managed to hide the fact they're FFs, a random person would probably not guess that they're FFs. In fact, they'd probably guess Brave Default is a mainline FF.

In a similar vein, if you play some of the mana series minus Trials, and then play the Trials remake, you'd be able to guess it's the same series as the rest of the mana games from gameplay alone.
By Thunderjet 2021-03-03 05:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

By Mattelot 2021-03-03 06:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Assassins creed is a game where they basically spent tens of millions paying really talented programmers to create all this core game modules, then got rid of most of them (or just didn't replace them when they retired) and then just continually re-use those same modules over and over again. Which means they are forever locked into making the same game over and over with different graphics and minor tweeks.

As crappy as that is though it still doesn't beat the companies that put out the literal exact same game over and over again with minor changes. Fifa, Madden, Farming sim etc.

The worst part about what Ubisoft and EA do though is that they charge $60-$70 for these games, the even worse part is people pay for them at that price over and over again.

As a huge Assassin's Creed fan, I'm on the fence. I loved the series at first with Black Flag being the highest point, in my opinion. Unit and Syndicate were very good too. Origins was a fantastic game with ancient Egypt being a perfect and beautiful setting however, I wish it was a tad less "heavy combat" and more stealth, as the game was intended. Odyssey wasn't bad but it was far too focused on combat vs stealth. I've not played Valhalla yet as I'm waiting to play on PS5 and I won't buy from a scalper.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2021-03-03 06:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:

Thank you for making my day better!
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-03-03 07:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »

As a huge Assassin's Creed fan, I'm on the fence. I loved the series at first with Black Flag being the highest point, in my opinion. Unit and Syndicate were very good too. Origins was a fantastic game with ancient Egypt being a perfect and beautiful setting however, I wish it was a tad less "heavy combat" and more stealth, as the game was intended. Odyssey wasn't bad but it was far too focused on combat vs stealth. I've not played Valhalla yet as I'm waiting to play on PS5 and I won't buy from a scalper.

Ubisoft tend to create some kind of political controversy these days with every game they release, to divert the argument away from "hey this is the same damn game again with different graphics you're selling me for $70"

They have become really good at it.
[+]
By Mattelot 2021-03-03 08:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ubisoft tend to create some kind of political controversy these days with every game they release, to divert the argument away from "hey this is the same damn game again with different graphics you're selling me for $70"

They have become really good at it.

And you're not wrong. They give people historic time periods they want and they sweep the obvious under the rug.

I do kinda get it... they want to release a new game every year or every 2 years and with that kind of short time frame, you can't really make something revolutionary. I personally would be happy if they waited a few years for the next one to make a fresh idea.
 Shiva.Anoq
Server: Shiva
user: Lawson
By Shiva.Anoq 2021-03-03 09:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't much care for FF7R. Project Triangle has me excited, but I really wish they would port all the FFT/TO games over to the Switch already. SE likes dropping the mainline series on modern systems, but I don't know why they won't do the same with at least FFT.