Legit Props for Gaol Rewards
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-10 09:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted this to get it's own spotlight instead of buried in another thread, because this is truly a rare occurrence.

Square actually nailed the *** outta this one. The reward system is actually damn near flawless.

No random drops.
No .000001% rare items (bodies).
No random augments.
No ability to buy "point items" to bypass the grind (swart heroism airlixirs)
No ability to merc items. (you can still merc clears... that's kind of impossible to stop)
ALL items are unlocked with the win.
A softish lockout to stop excessive spamming (not 100% but good)
Good enough items to keep you wanting to go.
A LONG grind timeline keeping you busy f.o.r.e.v.e.r. BUT with visual confirmation of progress.
A legit Gil Sink. it's going to take 30m-100m from e.v.e.r.y. player. Unlike the 1.1m crafting mats.
Nothing old reused to price gouge or cause idiot tax

They *** NAILED this. Perfectly. They hit all the things I *** about year after year.

And the bosses (I think) don't have any "*** you" mechanics. No insta death, no excessive knockback, no charm, no 50 adds, no encumber, no fetters.

Now, the lag, and the queue, and the power creep and all that are not this. Those are still legit *** ups, but props where props are due.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2021-02-10 10:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odyssey is definitely cool but it feels like we have so many instanced and phased out fights these days its getting stale, very low open world content.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-10 10:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a give and take. Open world "fight each other" for pops sucks ***.

I know some people love that aggressive *** measuring contest stuff, this style is objectively better for a wider audience.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2021-02-10 10:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

downsides are that odyssey is boring in general. should store up to 3x moglophone like omen... oh yeah, the lag is stupid bad.

edit: ... wait wait. is Eiryl being positive and I'M being negative?!

VANA'DIEL IS COMING TO AN END!!! ITS ALL OVER!!! WE'RE DOOMED!!!
[+]
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2021-02-10 10:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

they moved my lag as a bug post on OF to technical support, tempted to post another one though i know it'd do no good. whatever the cause they don't see it as a problem.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-10 10:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not wrong. Boring is boring. It's just that this does it the right way, knowing that the "over all goal" of an MMO is to be long and boring and repetitive.

Actual, marked, verifiable, progress. Vs spamming Kin 1600 times for absolutely nothing.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shinzaku
By Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas 2021-02-10 10:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If this gear wasn't power creep gear, would it still be desirable? :O
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-10 10:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

I know some people love that aggressive *** measuring contest stuff, this style is objectively better for a wider audience.

It is- but I miss feeling part of a big world at times. Being stuck in dungeons all the time can make one forget how big Vana'diel is, and how much rarely used space is out there.

I get the desire to take the dickswinging out of the game, and can agree with it. But some open world things mixed in these days would be nice in my book.
[+]
By Haziko 2021-02-10 10:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

It is- but I miss feeling part of a big world at times. Being stuck in dungeons all the time can make one forget how big Vana'diel is, and how much rarely used space is out there.

I get the desire to take the dickswinging out of the game, and can agree with it. But some open world things mixed in these days would be nice in my book.

Implement ilvl 130+ Garrison, the cowards.
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-02-10 10:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

i haven't done the odyssey gaol stuff sofar but if i understand it correctly you first have to farm segments with the regular mooglephones to enter gaol? if that's right then odyssey imho fails with the entry KI.

i'm tired of having a sheduled check list of chores to do every day and when deviate a bit i'm missing out. why can't entry KIs stack up liek they did with voidestones and traverser stones so if i don't feel like doing the daily chore i can at least play catch up later on when i feel like doing them?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-02-10 10:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Haziko said: »
Eco-Warrior II!
[+]
By Haziko 2021-02-10 10:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
i haven't done the odyssey gaol stuff sofar but if i understand it correctly you first have to farm segments with the regular mooglephones to enter gaol? if that's right then odyssey imho fails with the entry KI.

i'm tired of having a sheduled check list of chores to do every day and when deviate a bit i'm missing out. why can't entry KIs stack up liek they did with voidestones and traverser stones so if i don't feel like doing the daily chore i can at least play catch up later on when i feel like doing them?

Void/Traverser stacking would be a bit excessive if they're trying to extend this content, but one of my major gripes is that there aren't any additional "free" entries. Segment farming is available once a day, and if you're incredibly effective, can enter once every three days, and that's assuming you can keep up with segment farming.

It would be nice to be able to store three or so Mog II's that accrue every 1-2 days. I'd be fine with a slower accrual given that we have segment farming to supplement, and that'd hardly be excessive given the timegate with segments already.
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-02-10 10:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

they don't need to accumulate as traverser/void stones, they don't need to accumulate faster at all. the beauty of the stone system was the freedom to leave abyssea/voidwatch be and do something else without beeing punished.

it felt more like a game and less like a job.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-10 10:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what their trying to do. Make you feel compelled to log in every day. That's the goal.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2021-02-10 10:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Haziko said: »

that might be a thing because of the new storyline who knows..
By Weeew 2021-02-10 10:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

A legit Gil Sink. it's going to take 30m-100m from e.v.e.r.y. player. Unlike the 1.1m crafting mats.

~700k gil per sheol C segment farm - you will make many more millions than you will spend.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-10 10:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Weeew said: »

~700k gil per sheol C segment farm - you will make many more millions than you will spend.

No, do you not know what a gil sink is?

Gil created, not earned.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-10 11:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
it felt more like a game and less like a job.

That's what their trying to do. Make you feel compelled to log in every day. That's the goal.

If you have daily tasks to maintain, it means less expendable content they need to create in order to keep you busy and paying. And all it takes is one Monbereaux to show how easy it is for them to do that.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-10 11:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Weeew said: »

No, do you not know what a gil sink is?

Gil created, not earned.

Sorry for posting almost back-to-back, but wouldn't you equate gil created the same way that one looks at mining for precious metals in the real world? Time was expended and value was gained, albeit not through some form of trade of goods or services with another person.

That in most people's minds is still earned value, just not exchanged value.

Pretty sure @Weeew was pointing out that in order to even do the content you must earn segments, and there is gil creation associated with that process, and then a gil sink to procure the rewards. It likely will balance out in your favor vs having to destroy gil in the long run.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-10 11:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not what a sink is. A sink merely removes created currency.

It has nothing to do with sending or receiving currency.

You'll sell a mil a day to another player, shifting his gil to yours. But the gil spent to an NPC is -gone-
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2021-02-10 11:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure @Weeew was pointing out that in order to even do the content you must earn segments, and there is gil creation associated with that process, and then a gil sink to procure the rewards. It likely will balance out in your favor vs having to destroy gil in the long run.

Eiryl is right - while it is true that you earn more than you end up spending, your earnings came from gil that already existed and was in another player's possession, while the gil you spend goes into an NPC so it's legitimately destroyed. You might end up on top, but the total amount of gil present across the economy is now lower as a result - that's what a gil sink is.
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-02-10 11:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

And all it takes is one Monbereaux to show how easy it is for them to do that.
when my main goal became monberaux it did the exact opposite for me. i started to time subs mid to late in the month so i'd have enough time doing the deeds and trove chores for the current and the following month. canceled the sub immediately and waited a month between each resub, that already halfed the sub fees. if you also try to snipe the free months you can cut another 1-2 sub fees a year.
 Asura.Fabiano
user: Falsetto
By Asura.Fabiano 2021-02-10 11:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Echoing what others have said, but they really just need to allow you to accrue and store more than one Moglophone.

Something along the lines of like how you can store up to a maximum of 4 Mystical Canteens for Omen would be more than fine.

Please just stop making me feel forced to do this event every single day, and let me play the game, and vary my content types, at my own schedule without feeling like I am missing out. Having some flexibility would seriously go a really long way in making me enjoy this content.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-10 11:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you're all assuming that 700k earned in segment farming is coming from the scales/hides/wings sold on the AH, thus making it trade between players (no gil created).

We're talking about the gil reward in a segment farming run when touching the exit crystal. That IS created gil.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-10 11:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never done it so I have no idea what you get for officially finishing a run.
By Weeew 2021-02-10 11:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »

Eiryl is right - while it is true that you earn more than you end up spending, your earnings came from gil that already existed and was in another player's possession, while the gil you spend goes into an NPC so it's legitimately destroyed. You might end up on top, but the total amount of gil present across the economy is now lower as a result - that's what a gil sink is.

Are you guys assuming I was referring to selling the wings you get from segment farming? You do know when you touch the exit you get a straight up Gil reward which is around 700k per person plus or minus a few 100k for a good run.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-10 11:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never done it so I have no idea what you get for officially finishing a run.

If you at the end of your time in Sheol A/B/C touch the exit crystal, each player in the party is given a straight gil reward based on varying factors- fodder mobs killed, NMs, Halo/Agon mobs. Its pretty easy to take a group into Sheol C, clear floor 1 or 2 and each player walks out with ~400-450k for that 30 minutes directly given from the crystal, plus hides/wings/etc(depending on Sheol selected).
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-10 11:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Less effective sink then, but still one never the less.

Doesn't seem like too many people team up that way, so for the majority doing the soloing they aren't creating half a mil a day.

Still more out than in.

not to mention, how many mules will be buying gear but not run through daily, or people buying clears and gear but never farming segments at all.

it's far from perfect, just their first real attempt at it.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-10 11:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: oh I should read ahead
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-10 11:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Less effective sink then, but still one never the less.

Doesn't seem like too many people team up that way, so for the majority doing the soloing they aren't creating half a mil a day.

More out than in.

Maybe do moresome runs before you say that. Anyone wanting to legitimately farm RP in Sheol Gaol needs a steady source of ~9k segments weekly at a minimum. If you just wanted to do 3 NMs a week at least. And considering the number of runs to cap RP at current levels, 3 NMs/week means just shy of 3 months to cap a piece. Most aren't happy with that, and will hope to make ~15k/week, cutting it down to around 7 weeks.

Key runs net around 300-500 segments per run at best, and that's likely killing a few mobs that aggro you along the way (and assuming no early ka-thwacks in bad spots). True segment farming yields anywhere from 2200segments for newer groups to up to 5k for a quality run with good mob families.

People just started grouping up like this recently as there was no benefit prior to Sheol Gaol in segments. So they did key runs. Some caught on last month with the addition of Gaol, knowing more was coming, and got a head start. Now even more will move to this method, or get left MONTHS behind.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5