Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Back to Basics
Back to Basics
By Manque 2021-01-07 18:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently returned with a fresh character and this is the route I took:

• Reach 99 (good advice above)

• Do Coalitions at the courier's coalition to save 10k bayld

• Buy full set of 119 bayld gear from Vesca

• Progress through the intermediate Records of Eminence quests to secure an easy 119 weapon. For the 'Wildkeeper Reive' objective, best to hop around the different home points and find someone else doing it already. There is a campaign coming up so might see increased activity there now.

• While working on above, proceed through Rhapsodies of Vanadiel as much as possible. With above 119 gear, should be able to go all the way to the final fight easily (shout for help with final fight).

• Progressing in Rhapsodies will give you access to Domain Invasion. Complete this at least once daily to save 'domain points', which are exchangeable for high-level gear in Norg.

• Because Domain Invasion is time-gated, do UNM on the side to fill-in other slots if necessary [ex: Bleating Mantle]

• Begin Ambuscade

[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2021-01-07 21:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
This is more unreasonable talk. We are not talking about you and I. We are talking about a new/returning player. You are saying, they should level four (main +3 mules) to 99 to unlock AMAN Trove to be able to sell the Orbs to fund enough money to buy a REMA? And do the weekly Gain EXP for 4mil across characters? Lol. Do I really need to break down why that is super unreasonable of an expectation for a new/returning player? The weekly sparks is 1m, and if you have TC or Tolba clear, you can sell those mats. But a new player won't, so Prize Powders it is. Even still, what you are expecting a newer person to do every month is unrealistic. By comparison, I have one main, zero alts, and one storage mule at level 65. I haven't even finished LBs on it because that actually takes a little effort without alt help xD. Expecting a less experienced person to do this is ridiculous. It would take them a lot of time to even get to a point where they can start earning money on their own using this method. I can make a few million gil a day doing dailies and selling stuff in my mule inventory, but if I had to start from absolute scratch making money, it would be difficult. Especially without Ambuscade. Your assumptions about money are not reasonable Andret. It is just not that easy to make that kind of money you talk about anymore.

It's not easy, that's why I said to level another job to grind Ambu. The Mars Orbs are supplements and you can't do that at all without planning ahead like making at least 3-4 mules.

There are other things too like monthly login points or just make the mules and deactivate them to bypass the wait time once you have the means to level them to lv99.

I do agree it might cost less, when factoring in time, to get everything you need. But there's newer items and other alternatives a player can get fairly quickly with very little cost, and they can use the money they do have towards more meaningful upgrades. Also, using your example of having 2-3 mules, it would not take 6-8 months of constant grinding. If it did, how long would it take a person not using mules?

If you don't use any mules it will still take that much time if you only build mule characters. Once you get pass the 1st lv99 grind for a job, you can speed run a brand new one without any assistance (no gear or extra escha rings) in roughly 1-2 weeks of playing. I actually do this with many of my mules.

1-99 don't actually need that much money or any at all. The only thing that really take a lot of time and effort are the things after lv99 but before 2100JP like unlocking missions, WSs, warp points - stuff that most old players already passed a long time ago.

Kaja Knuckles is not that hard to get. If you do spend money on a merc, ambuscade would be the best place to do that. You get points for gear, weapons, and you can re-sell the materials for very little gil loss, mostly a break even, sometimes a positive. You can buy the NQ1/HQ1 necks so long as you don't augment it, because you can resell it anyways. The same goes for Kenda gear.

I just think your advice comes off as someone who KNOWS how to do all of this stuff and is looking at the bigger picture, but a newer player would have no clue where to start with all of what you just mentioned. This is why I feel like it's not good general advice for newbs.

Kaja Knuckles is great but also costs 15k hallmarks or 4mil - 26mil more and you get God Hands. I wouldn't have anything extra after cashing in for money and monthly capes. I can't do VD (obviously) and mostly spend on E/N Ambu.

I would pay 3mil for one of those JP merc for 500JP and spend 80k for Jolt Counter. If not then I would save for Kaja if I have extra hallmarks to burn but it would be a waste imo.

There is no point in wasting money when you already have precious few of them and equivalent alternatives that don't cost much at all.

For example, you shouldn't buy the NQ/HQ1 neck at all and buy the "Moonbeam Nodowa" or the HQ one. It's easier to resell that.

None of the NQ Abjuration Sets are worth spending money on because you can't resell them as long as you save money for Ken+1. You can buy the NQ Ken if one feels the need for it but you still need that 500JP 1st. Honestly the Mumu+2 armor is probably the best gear for the money.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2021-01-08 04:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
This is more unreasonable talk. We are not talking about you and I. We are talking about a new/returning player. You are saying, they should level four (main +3 mules) to 99 to unlock AMAN Trove to be able to sell the Orbs to fund enough money to buy a REMA? And do the weekly Gain EXP for 4mil across characters? Lol. Do I really need to break down why that is super unreasonable of an expectation for a new/returning player? The weekly sparks is 1m, and if you have TC or Tolba clear, you can sell those mats. But a new player won't, so Prize Powders it is. Even still, what you are expecting a newer person to do every month is unrealistic. By comparison, I have one main, zero alts, and one storage mule at level 65. I haven't even finished LBs on it because that actually takes a little effort without alt help xD. Expecting a less experienced person to do this is ridiculous. It would take them a lot of time to even get to a point where they can start earning money on their own using this method. I can make a few million gil a day doing dailies and selling stuff in my mule inventory, but if I had to start from absolute scratch making money, it would be difficult. Especially without Ambuscade. Your assumptions about money are not reasonable Andret. It is just not that easy to make that kind of money you talk about anymore.

It's not easy, that's why I said to level another job to grind Ambu. The Mars Orbs are supplements and you can't do that at all without planning ahead like making at least 3-4 mules.

There are other things too like monthly login points or just make the mules and deactivate them to bypass the wait time once you have the means to level them to lv99.

I do agree it might cost less, when factoring in time, to get everything you need. But there's newer items and other alternatives a player can get fairly quickly with very little cost, and they can use the money they do have towards more meaningful upgrades. Also, using your example of having 2-3 mules, it would not take 6-8 months of constant grinding. If it did, how long would it take a person not using mules?

If you don't use any mules it will still take that much time if you only build mule characters. Once you get pass the 1st lv99 grind for a job, you can speed run a brand new one without any assistance (no gear or extra escha rings) in roughly 1-2 weeks of playing. I actually do this with many of my mules.

1-99 don't actually need that much money or any at all. The only thing that really take a lot of time and effort are the things after lv99 but before 2100JP like unlocking missions, WSs, warp points - stuff that most old players already passed a long time ago.

Kaja Knuckles is not that hard to get. If you do spend money on a merc, ambuscade would be the best place to do that. You get points for gear, weapons, and you can re-sell the materials for very little gil loss, mostly a break even, sometimes a positive. You can buy the NQ1/HQ1 necks so long as you don't augment it, because you can resell it anyways. The same goes for Kenda gear.

I just think your advice comes off as someone who KNOWS how to do all of this stuff and is looking at the bigger picture, but a newer player would have no clue where to start with all of what you just mentioned. This is why I feel like it's not good general advice for newbs.

Kaja Knuckles is great but also costs 15k hallmarks or 4mil - 26mil more and you get God Hands. I wouldn't have anything extra after cashing in for money and monthly capes. I can't do VD (obviously) and mostly spend on E/N Ambu.

I would pay 3mil for one of those JP merc for 500JP and spend 80k for Jolt Counter. If not then I would save for Kaja if I have extra hallmarks to burn but it would be a waste imo.

There is no point in wasting money when you already have precious few of them and equivalent alternatives that don't cost much at all.

For example, you shouldn't buy the NQ/HQ1 neck at all and buy the "Moonbeam Nodowa" or the HQ one. It's easier to resell that.

None of the NQ Abjuration Sets are worth spending money on because you can't resell them as long as you save money for Ken+1. You can buy the NQ Ken if one feels the need for it but you still need that 500JP 1st. Honestly the Mumu+2 armor is probably the best gear for the money.

TLDR, buy your way to power as fast as possible and then be bored in a game that's entire premise is to gradually become more powerful on jobs you enjoy, ultimately so that you will become bored with the game after a few months of dropping 1$k a week onto your rmtffxi.com website.

The game will bore you playing this way. Not to mention that Levi doesn't have the mercs in place to grant Andret's master plan into motion. Experienced, generous game vets yes, but only if you're not a tool. Mercs on Levi.... Not very common, capable, or trustworthy.

Buuki's advice for the OP is much more reasonable and encouraging from a new player standpoint. Unless of course by means that shall remain nameless the new player has a method of manifesting unlimited Gil onto their bank roll, then yea, Andret has them cheat codes fo sho.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2021-01-08 04:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Manque said: »
I recently returned with a fresh character and this is the route I took:

• Reach 99 (good advice above)

• Do Coalitions at the courier's coalition to save 10k bayld

• Buy full set of 119 bayld gear from Vesca

• Progress through the intermediate Records of Eminence quests to secure an easy 119 weapon. For the 'Wildkeeper Reive' objective, best to hop around the different home points and find someone else doing it already. There is a campaign coming up so might see increased activity there now.

• While working on above, proceed through Rhapsodies of Vanadiel as much as possible. With above 119 gear, should be able to go all the way to the final fight easily (shout for help with final fight).

• Progressing in Rhapsodies will give you access to Domain Invasion. Complete this at least once daily to save 'domain points', which are exchangeable for high-level gear in Norg.

• Because Domain Invasion is time-gated, do UNM on the side to fill-in other slots if necessary [ex: Bleating Mantle]

• Begin Ambuscade

Yea first couple months, these are good challenges.