users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Key Mapping Question
Key Mapping Question
 Asura.Skyekitty
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Skyekitty 2020-11-15 10:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So I got a new laptop and the keyboard is excellent minus 1 huge annoyance, where my pinky goes is the page up instead of ctrl. I remapped the key in the windows registry to RCtrl, which works everywhere BUT in the actual game. It still uses the original key function (which is zoom in). Page Up is also not a configurable key in the in-game settings. Is there a way to regedit this outside the game like how we used to do graphics back in the day? Its killing me! (Literally, instead of a macro going off I zoom in to my death. lol) Thanks!~
 Bismarck.Xurion
Server: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-11-16 06:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

How did you remap using registry? I could try to replicate what you did to see if it's just your system or just the way the client works with keys.
 Bismarck.Batton
user: BattonBiz
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-11-16 07:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious about this as well, I have my tab key bound to /targetbnpc in code. i'd love to swap that out with F8 so the tab key isnt trying to do 2 things at once
By RadialArcana 2020-11-16 08:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

autohotkey can do this, if someone else doesn't post something to help Ill post more about it later.
 Bismarck.Xurion
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-11-16 11:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Can also vouch for autohotkey. I used it to map the Windows key on a Mac keyboard to alt.
 Bismarck.Batton
user: BattonBiz
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-11-16 12:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Disclaimer: this could be terrible advice. It may be a workaround until a better solution comes around. Any old forum posts I found basically said 'if youre using setkey, theres probably a better way', but that's because the questions were pretty vague.

You'll still have to pagedown after but..
Code
setkey [keyname] [state]
bind PAGEUP down setkey RCTRL down
bind PAGEUP up setkey RCTRL up

Note, found a solution to my issue which was "F8 is in a terrible place for quick targetting of monsters". This also fixed my original solution which was binding TAB to "input /targetbnpc". Trying to hit TAB after calling a /magic <stnpc> macro would just throw an error.
Code
bind %TAB setkey F8 down; wait 0.3;setkey F8 up

I needed a replacement for Tab functionality, so I reconfigured some other keys in-game
Code
Menu > Config > Misc. 2 >
Keyboard Size: "Compact 1" 
[Q] Menu/Target Cursor Left
[E] Menu/Target Cursor Right