Primed for Adventure Feedback
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-11-23 12:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
We (I) know who they are, so... not really. They "play" but they don't play.

Could they have tertiary characters they secretly post from? No, just simply no.
K, who are they?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-23 12:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want anyone to know who I use, so.

Sigh streams on her "real account" though, find Aya's twitch.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-11-23 13:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Based on other stream numbers, doing harder content or something isn't going to change much.

"Hard" is beside the point, IMO, because the prospective audience isn't in a position to judge whether something is hard or not. Don't get me wrong; Easy Ambuscade with basically no real explanation of what you're doing and why you're doing it is the worst idea imaginable, but going into Very Difficult Ambuscade and clearing that would only be more impressive to unreformable nerds like us.

It's got to be EXCITING, which is admittedly hard to do for an audience in this game period, but clearly you could do better than Primed for Adventure has been doing. For one thing, how are you going to have your streamers full-time WHM and COR? Those are some boring-*** jobs to watch! They really should be playing melee jobs, and if they need to play support jobs to do the content they want to do, well, they need to be doing different content. The goal of this, if I'm not mistaken, is to show that FFXI is a fun game to play, and you're telling me the best way to do that is to make people watch you press a cure macro on WHM for 2 hours? *** outta here

Frankly, the best thing they could do for these is to get on two jobs that skillchain with each other and go farm CP. It's fast, it's collaborative, it's genuinely about as exciting as watching someone play this game with zero context will get. I like the idea of a Dynamis-Divergence group but in my experience the timing of putting one of those together is so erratic it's just not gonna work for a scheduled stream.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-23 13:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Preach. But first, they have to *** learn how and what a skillchain is...

Which brings me back to my original complaint; they're trashbags.

I guess the question is what is the goal. Make it look appealing to someone new? Skillchains and flashy magic bursts, (umbra + death) ***other games don't do.

Any mmo can "kill this mob with no context by swinging a sword and shooting a gun/bow while staying alive at the same time" That's generic as you can get. Why is it cooler to do on XI. (it's not, but sell it like it is)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-11-23 13:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Preach. But first, they have to *** learn how and what a skillchain is...

Which brings me back to my original complaint; they're trashbags.

I guess the question is what is the goal. Make it look appealing to someone new? Skillchains and flashy magic bursts, (umbra + death) ***other games don't do.

Any mmo can "kill this mob with no context by swinging a sword and shooting a gun/bow while staying alive at the same time" That's generic as you can get. Why is it cooler to do on XI. (it's not, but sell it like it is)

If I were going to be an FFXI streamer, which I'm never going to do but if I were, there's no question I'd do it as a BLU. Talk about having a bunch of interesting, weird toys you can show off to an audience without intimidating them via the impression that you need to multibox!

EDIT: PUP would be another interesting choice but it still seems too Inside Baseball. Everyone in FFXI's potential target audience knows what a blue mage is, and XI's blue mage is easily the best iteration in the series
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-23 13:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean yeah dude, remember when the audience lost their ***12 years ago at the TOAU release when the BLU cast Wild Oats?
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-11-23 14:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

They are community managers, not professional ffxi players.

They have normal characters they make and use at some point to learn the basics of the game they are paid to cover, that's as far as it goes. I would be amazed if they even get them to 99 (actually they have apparantely).

The characters they use in streams are created for the stream. They have GM commands to make anything and they can instantly level to 99.

The people who they hire to be community managers these days are mostly all going to be people who play FF14, WOW, PSO2 or similar "current" games, when they leave one company they go work for another one. Keep in mind they are hired to be PR people, first and foremost.

In an ideal world they would take someone that loves the games they are paid to promote but in reality they just take friendly people who want to do the job, that's it. You see almost all of these people tend to have twitch channels, and they only have them so the potential employers can gauge their personality and look. That's what it's all about.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-11-23 14:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Frankly, the best thing they could do for these is to get on two jobs that skillchain with each other and go farm CP. It's fast, it's collaborative, it's genuinely about as exciting as watching someone play this game with zero context will get. I like the idea of a Dynamis-Divergence group but in my experience the timing of putting one of those together is so erratic it's just not gonna work for a scheduled stream.

It'd really come down to what people might be interested in seeing. Personally, I don't think CP would prove to be a good choice. While the combat itself might be more interesting - for a minute or three - the activity itself falls into that general "lack of context" problem. You'd just end up with them smacking mobs for hours, with no apparent goal.

To that point, Ambuscade is actually a relatively decent choice of activity. It's short, has a fairly obvious objective, and is easily repeated for comparative runs. There's no confusion with NPCs or spoilers to story, and it makes loot distribution a moot point (if that's a consideration on an official stream).

That said, the better approach to using Ambuscade as the basis of the stream would have been to rotate through different jobs and roles, to give the sort of demonstration you're talking about.

With just the two (and given the title of the stream), maybe the better thing would have been spending a few hours collecting loot from various sources and building some gear sets. Setting a goal like that creates some context, and builds towards some sort of conclusion.
By RadialArcana 2020-11-23 15:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw they do read this forum, and reddit and lots of others.

They don't interact but they do read them.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-23 15:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »

And I read the newspaper every day. See how easy that is to lie about.

One can't see people talking about the thing you do, and not interject. Or in their case.. apologize for.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2020-11-23 15:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

They are community managers, not professional ffxi players.

They have normal characters they make and use at some point to learn the basics of the game they are paid to cover, that's as far as it goes. I would be amazed if they even get them to 99 (actually they have apparantely).

The characters they use in streams are created for the stream. They have GM commands to make anything and they can instantly level to 99.

The people who they hire to be community managers these days are mostly all going to be people who play FF14, WOW, PSO2 or similar "current" games, when they leave one company they go work for another one. Keep in mind they are hired to be PR people, first and foremost.

In an ideal world they would take someone that loves the games they are paid to promote but in reality they just take friendly people who want to do the job, that's it. You see almost all of these people tend to have twitch channels, and they only have them so the potential employers can gauge their personality and look. That's what it's all about.

it's likely they are hiring if you'd like to apply
By RadialArcana 2020-11-23 16:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm said: »
it's likely they are hiring if you'd like to apply

I'm too argumentative to work in PR.
By RadialArcana 2020-11-24 07:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

And I read the newspaper every day. See how easy that is to lie about.

One can't see people talking about the thing you do, and not interject. Or in their case.. apologize for.

The sad part is, the senior community manager (the singluar one you're all talking about) is the only person that can write Japanese and English and bothers with the community at all. So they are literally the only way anything you ever say about FFXI gets translated back to the developers at all LoL If she was not there (of she gets annoyed at you calling her bad at the game and refuses to relay anything cause of that) they have ZERO way to know what the entire english speaking playerbase is saying or wants at all.

This is a Billion dollar company and FFXI brings in literally millions in revenue (most of which comes from english speaking nations) btw.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2020-11-24 08:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

aka nothing would change.

you keep saying this stuff but you have 0 evidence that SE has taken a single action based on an english speaking players input, in fact we have a plethora of evidence to the contrary. i am surprised i am the only one that keeps telling you this as you continually post this virtue signaling that SE is some altruistic company that just wants to "run their game the way the players want" when they have never shown that for this title.

sorry man, it isn't on the english speaking players to tell SE that we want more content or better gameplay, it's on SE to actually do something. masochism is a serious thing, please stay healthy out there.
[+]