[Opinion] Returning Player DD Question
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
 Asura.Vafruvant
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2020-09-17 04:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello all, it has been awhile. I'm recently returned to the game and am looking to re-gear a DD, but I've heard a Calad DRK usually does more DPS than most. I don't want to invest a lot of time and gil into a REMA like Masamune if I'm just going to be disappointed. So, my question is this: if any job is on the table, with no preference for playstyle involved, what would be the "best" (subjective) DD to gear up? Thanks in advance for your opinions!
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-09-17 05:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

the one you enjoy playing the most
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-09-17 05:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

After recently gearing Drk, if you want to go that path it is very do-able. Drk is lucky in that most of the required gear is a mixture of Ambuscade and easy-to-get Reisenjima items, along with some Omen pieces (you would need to do omen for any DD job). So compared to something like Drg that needs multiple expensive Relic pieces, Drk is easier to manage in my opinion.

And you heard correctly, Calad is an absolute beast. I recently did Ambuscade with a a Calad Drk with my Aeonic War and I couldn't keep up once so ever. (Then again, maybe I'm just a shitty war idk.)
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2020-09-17 05:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd vote thf. It's gear selection is excellent, and many of the pieces are used by other jobs. It does good stacked damage with savageblade with Naegling; similar to stacked rudra's storm with R15 twashtar and fusetto +2 tp bonus 1000 dagger (you will need this dagger from Trial of the magians).

This job is used in many different endgame events, and is a fantastic utility job.

Pro: 1) Once geared you should find no problem getting into events if you’re a reliable dd. 2) This job can as easily open sc for a cor and add max TH as it can solo mobs in dynamis D. 3) when solo Sylvie (UC)trust actually has good buffs for thf. 4) Native dual wield 3, you can sub tons of interesting things, DRG for extra dmg limit and 7%WSD for any WS. Blm for AoE TH tagging in dyna lowers your dps, but does not eliminate it (but you are more vulnerable)

Cons: 1) +1 gear from escha Ru'Aun is really good and worth getting. Namely lustratio legs and feet they are BiS in stacked WS generally. 2) you trade some dps for utility like TH, you’re not expected to beat a drk or rng, or a cor. (Not to say you can't down right embarrass the aforementioned jobs)
 Shiva.Humpo
Server: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2020-09-17 07:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lioncourt said: »
Probably COR. Its versatility will make you desireable for almost any content, pug or static.

As a calad drk, i fully agree with the above statement. COR is most certainly going to get you into content a lot faster.
[+]
 Sylph.Banhammer
Server: Sylph
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2020-09-17 07:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Re-gear a support job instead. Nobody needs a returning DD.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-09-17 07:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no subjective best DD now. All are viable, they just have different advantages that comes very handy for different scenario.

Calad DRK doesnt do best DPS btw. I would say its not even in top DPS builds if you dont give him warcry with savagery from WAR at least. Calad has rather avg WS frequency and Torcleaver has very avg damage at 1000TP. 95% accuracy cap is also a pain. I would say Masamune SAM easily outdamage Calad DRK if said DRK is without Savagery+CrystalBlessing (I would say its a close call even with those buffs). Masamune SAM also is way better for solo DD setup involving self skillchaining. That being said DRK is DRK and has his natural advantages not related to weapon you use on it. Like boosted damage and survivability against Arcana, massive hp pool with Drain 3, Stun, ability to cap haste with just 30% magic haste when LR is up, absorbs (especially if you can do it in prebuffing phase) etc. SAM obviously also has his unique advantages, so it goes back to first paragraph.
[+]
By Aerison 2020-09-17 07:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
After recently gearing Drk, if you want to go that path it is very do-able. Drk is lucky in that most of the required gear is a mixture of Ambuscade and easy-to-get Reisenjima items, along with some Omen pieces (you would need to do omen for any DD job). So compared to something like Drg that needs multiple expensive Relic pieces, Drk is easier to manage in my opinion.

And you heard correctly, Calad is an absolute beast. I recently did Ambuscade with a a Calad Drk with my Aeonic War and I couldn't keep up once so ever. (Then again, maybe I'm just a shitty war idk.)

Not sure what drk you're playing, but it needs 4/5 relic pieces...
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-09-17 09:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerison said: »
Odin.Senaki said: »

Not sure what drk you're playing, but it needs 4/5 relic pieces...

2/5 +3 is enough (hands and legs) for Caladbolg DRK. Head and body dont need to be +3 for blood weapon and dark seal augmnents. Body is great for magic WS, but thats more for Scythe build.

That being said you also need 3x AF+3, 3x Empy+1 and some +1 abjurations. Then if you actually go serious also su3+1 4/5 (even if you dont use scythe, you need it for dread spikes set), Odin's items or even Volte from Windurst.
 Cerberus.Genoside
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Genoside 2020-09-17 09:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

M O N K
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-09-17 09:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I would say its not even in top DPS builds

[+]
By Crossbones 2020-09-17 09:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

DD brd, rdm, or cor. Not gonna go into drk vs sam (drk is better).
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-17 10:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Banhammer said: »
Re-gear a support job instead. Nobody needs a returning DD.
This. A solid DD job yea sure. Everyone and their mother has a DD, most people don't want to play a support. That is what is needed. You always need a tank of some form or another also. As stated earlier, MNK. It's a beast, and hard to kill at the same time.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-17 10:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Pro-Tip: a modern balanced party these days you need one solid DD. A properly buffed Uber MNK can take out 95% of the content, and also be the tank. Doo-eet!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Masamune SAM also is way better for solo DD setup involving self skillchaining.
I don't know.

I think a lot of jobs are pretty top notch when it comes to solo DD setups.

WAR/SAMs can 2/3/4/5/6 step anything down to dead. I just did it recently on Ou on my WAR on Sunday (disclaimer: first time, but my WAR only went from 49-99 just last month).

I know of several SAMs and DRKs who can do the exact same thing. Hell, I even know of a DRG who can solo DD most everything to dead.

If you know the job and how to multi-step solo ***, you can pretty much win the game.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Pro-Tip: a modern balanced party these days you need one solid DD. A properly buffed Uber WAR can take out 95% of the content, and also be the tank. Doo-eet!
fixed for accuracy. Not saying you aren't wrong though, but WAR has just as much, if not more, survivability rate than MNK does.

Edit: Well, a Malignance MNK would have equal survivabiity, but also hurts their damage output somewhat. WAR has better options imo.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-09-17 10:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Quote:
I would say its not even in top DPS builds

Its true lol. Everyone have seen too much 3000tp torcleavers or too much Calad DRK in zergs with warcry active. Avg torc at 1250 tp is like 35k, melee dmg is lower than mnk and ws frequency is probably also lower (especially if you try to boost melee damage at cost of xhit). SAM has way higher ws frequency, higher avg ws damage if you WS asap and slightly lower melee dps.

You are welcone to prove me wrong in any form, math or real parse.

Edit: actually at 1250tp its not even 35k torc probably.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Its true lol. Everyone have seen too much 3000tp torcleavers or too much Calad DRK in zergs with warcry active. Avg torc at 1250 tp is like 35k, melee dmg is lower than mnk and ws frequency is probably also lower (especially if you try to boost melee damage at cost of xhit). SAM has way higher ws frequency, higher avg ws damage if you WS asap and slightly lower melee dps.

You are welcone to prove me wrong in any form, math or real parse.
Just wait until you see what a good DP COR can do then.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-09-17 10:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I don't know.

WAR/SAMs can 2/3/4/5/6 step anything down to dead. I just did it recently on Ou on my WAR on Sunday (disclaimer: first time, but my WAR only went from 49-99 just last month).

I know of several SAMs and DRKs who can do the exact same thing. Hell, I even know of a DRG who can solo DD most everything to dead.

If you know the job and how to multi-step solo ***, you can pretty much win the game.

I was talking strictly about calad drk vs masa sam, since OP mentioned both in his post and I wanted to stay on topic. There is several jobs that can multi step like a boss. DRK can too, but not really with Caladbolg.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 11:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I don't know.

I was talking strictly about calad drk vs masa sam, since OP mentioned both in his post and I wanted to stay on topic. There is several jobs that can multi step like a boss. DRK can too, but not really with Caladbolg.
In that context, you are correct.

But it also would help the OP know that his options are not limited to "Caladbolg DRK onry!" A well geared out, decked out, 100% DA without Fighter's Roll WAR will do some very decent damage, especially when the WAR is 1 of 2/3 DDs on the boss. It will take a lot of effort, knowledge, and ability to do it, but that's the thing about being a good DD. It takes effort, knowledge, and ability to be good at anything...
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-17 11:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope if you're a returnee reading these posts you see there's really only been one consistent comment relating to DD jobs across all the posts: everyone mentions "the only DD" or "one of 2-3 DDs" scenarios.

Sadly, a freshly returning player isn't going to get one of those spots. To be competitive to the point of "getting to come DD" on a regular basis means you likely already have the vast majority of the gear from that event- because you came to it for 3 months on a support job/healer/tank.

My suggestion if you're adamant about building a DD? Do something with a hybrid function. Build a RUN who can tank and add respectable DPS builds as you grow. Or a RDM or COR capable of great buffing/enfeebling off the bat and who's DD capabilities will grow with time. Or just build up a pure healer/support job to get your foot in the door, then build a DD as you see active DDs doing content with you and can observe the differing playstyles/strengths of those DDs while gathering gear for that job down the road.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 11:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it took me at least 4 months before I could finally get to the point where I can be a DD for events, and that required a combination of getting gear and people quitting to get that spot.
 Phoenix.Oyama
Server: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-09-17 11:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

To the OP:

Based on my experience, either MNK or DRG.

These jobs are quick and straightforward to gear from any starting point, and become acceptably good fairly early in the gearing process.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-17 11:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-17 11:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Good thing SE is introducing that Mentor Network- we probably will never need these threads ever again come November!

Remember, Remember, that Mentor November
Of Accolades and Blacklisting Plot
I see no reason why the Mentor Shell Treason
Should Ever Be Forgot.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-17 11:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Like literally. I was just thinking this.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-17 12:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The real answer though, level NIN, done and done.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-17 12:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
level NIN

...and instantly become invisible without ever using tonko
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-17 12:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It buffs (itself), debuffs, nukes, WSs, solos, tanks, good stuff. Lots of toys.
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10