Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: icilies
By Asura.Icilies 2020-09-11 23:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello FFXI Community,

Today I am announcing the guests for our next Nudawn: A FFXI Podcast episode. E10 will feature members of the official Square Enix FFXI NA Community Team.

Aya or “Sicycre” will for sure being joining us and potentially other members. We are still talking though the details.

We do not have an official date, but we wanted to make this post to give people an opportunity to post and topics/questions you would like to bring up. Please follow the guidelines below before posting your topic/question as I will have to submit them for approval.

The episode will focus on day to day activities of the community team and not anything from the development team. They will not be able to speak on behalf of any development of the game.

They mainly focus on Twitter, Reddit, and the Official Forums.

I encourage everyone to also check some of the streams out to from Primed for Adventure featuring Aya (Sicycre). Other than that I look forward to your ideas for topics and questions and I’ll work my hardest to get them approved.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/nudawnlinkshell

- Icilies of Valefor
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-09-11 23:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask them if they are aware that multiboxing is ruining the game!

(Also, thx for your awesome podcasts :D)
[+]
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-09-12 00:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
Ask them if they are aware that multiboxing is ruining the game!

(Also, thx for your awesome podcasts :D)

I might be able to for an acceptable question out of this. lol.

And thank you
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-12 00:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo, you need ask her wtf is up with the chat.

For real, how does square give literally no *** about the nonstop 24/7 bot shout.
[+]
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-09-12 00:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Yo, you need ask her wtf is up with the chat.

For real, how does square give literally no *** about the nonstop 24/7 bot shout.

I'm not sure how much they are involved with this but could proly get a question together because they also support FFXIV. I'm pretty sure xiv banns spammers
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-12 00:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I know she will have "no answer" just love the idea of asking the question to see her reaction.

She knows asura chat is pure cancer. The twitch stream isn't even allowed to show it, they literally hide it.
[+]
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-09-12 04:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya never know. We might get some sort of response ha
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-09-12 04:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the community teams they have are mainly for XIV, they don't know that much about XI.

Still, it's cool they are doing the rounds with creators.

I used to wish the developers spoke english so they could communicate directly with us, then I remembered it's 2020 and everything has to be sanitized due to outrage culture anyway.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-09-12 04:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask them if there is any chance of them promoting channels officially or offering "sponsored" videos with youtubers to make videos for the game as promotion.

New player guides, or whatever like that.

Warframe does this a lot and it seems to work out for them well.
[+]
 Bahamut.Viers
user: Vires
By Bahamut.Viers 2020-09-12 07:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Ask them if there is any chance of them promoting channels officially or offering "sponsored" videos with youtubers to make videos for the game as promotion.

New player guides, or whatever like that.

Warframe does this a lot and it seems to work out for them well.

This is a great idea. YouTube videos especially. Would be a great way to promote the game and the content creators that really love playing and helping others.

Twitch streamers might be difficult to qualify though unless they are playing purely vanilla since SE doesn't want to acknowledge/accept windower.
[+]
 Bahamut.Brixy
Guide Maker
user: Brixy
By Bahamut.Brixy 2020-09-12 07:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

On the windower topic... you should ask them if they personally use windower or play strictly vanilla lol. At this point even the devs have to know how common it is for the players to use it. Would it still be frowned upon for their community members to use it?
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-09-12 07:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Some game companies pay selected youtubers to make good, regular content for their games. It's not a huge amount but it's enough to keep them making content, since they promote them they also build the audience for those channels.

Not only does it bring in new players but since you're continually being fed new videos every month, it can help with retention and encourage people to come back if they take a break / quit. Comes out the marketing budget.

Community teams should always be promoting good channels / videos honestly and I don't get why they don't. Bare minimum they could post comments on their videos saying they enjoyed them and/or retweet them etc.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-12 08:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Get pics of Sicycre's moghouse! I think she fancies it. Have her take some for you to have on screen or something. I don't know if she could stream her private account to walk around in it with you live.

Bahamut.Viers said: »
Twitch streamers might be difficult to qualify though unless they are playing purely vanilla since SE doesn't want to acknowledge/accept windower.

This is 100% accurate. I believe either Sicycre or Okieeomi have said this before in livestream at some point during one of their videos.

Anyone with any mods, tools, resources, visual upgrades/enhancements, or anything other than vanilla will get zero nods from SquareEnix at all with no compromise. They are aware that people stream their game while using enhancements, but cannot justify getting behind them.

It's sad, but vanilla actually is playable and not so terrible. I'm pretty sure 99% of us started on vanilla unless a friend helped us install. I could see myself actually streaming vanilla at some point down the road simply because while I do enjoy the quality of life that windower gives, I can and have always played without lua files since I learned WHM back in the first years when we didn't have such things.

Honestly, the most basic vanilla FFXI with just Windower's enhancement to draw distance and to sharpen the graphics would be more appealing to look at, but even then... SE won't abide.

Also, here is a previous interview with Sicycre (and another) so you can look over what has already been asked if it will help you to form questions that aren't already answered including the obvious "so what were you doing before FFXI" and "what got you into FFXI".

https://gamerescape.com/2016/06/21/community-team-qa-with-luxpheras-and-sicycre/

Oh, and to the people suggesting things like "Why is yell on Asura ***? Please answer!", realize that she can't make an official comment on that for SquareEnix. SquareEnix JAPAN is quite aware of what goes on. They keep putting bandaids on it from people officially allowed to make statements like "We are aware and are looking into ways blah blah blah". Don't put Sicycre on blast as if she has any say in anything or CAN say anything (as if SquareEnix Japan didn't vet this English podcast and allow her to be on it and won't be reviewing the results).

Kind of off on a tangent ramblings:
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-09-12 08:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If their main focus has been/will be FFXIV. An easy softball question would be:

Are they going to further familiarize themselves with XI to showcase more of the game and are there any plans for a regularly scheduled Youtube stream.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-12 09:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Too long; didn't read version: Ask her and talk about the hurdles getting new player's feet wet with FFXI content. I'm sure she will have lots to talk about there.

You wouldn't ask a farmer about open heart surgery and you wouldn't ask a surgeon about soil nutrients best for raising crops so stick with things she has ingrained into her work as a community rep; Trying to help (new) players and the community.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-09-12 09:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
This is 100% accurate. I believe either Sicycre or Okieeomi have said this before in livestream at some point during one of their videos.

Anyone with any mods, tools, resources, visual upgrades/enhancements, or anything other than vanilla will get zero nods from SquareEnix at all with no compromise. They are aware that people stream their game while using enhancements, but cannot justify getting behind them.

True but there are youtubers who use nothing and still get no help of any kind, CloudChief for example.

From what I gather from their previous streams, SquareEnix is finding difficulty in figuring out a way to make FFXI more accessible for new or novice players. Their official Twitch streams are made to attempt to showcase easing players into newer content or "fresh 99s" as I believe the previous videos have been about.

I still see people struggling, flagged up waiting for a party invite at level 12 or whatever and without trusts. Usually you have to send lots of tells to help them out, hopefully the new chat channel will help with that.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-12 09:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Usually you have to send lots of tells to help them out, hopefully the new chat channel will help with that.

I had forgotten that they had mentioned that. See? This is what I'm talkin' about. (^_^)

As far as anything random-youtuber related, I think their official twitch streams with community reps are what they are comfortable with. They have a handle on what goes on. This is a Japanese company and it's tougher for them to track random English-speaking youtuber and... well, those can say and do crazy things. Pretty sure SE doesn't want to be associated with Pewdiepie dropping N-bombs on their FFXI sponsored stream. ;-)
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2020-09-12 10:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep up the good work, the podcast is fast becoming the 'official' FFXI podcast.

Yeah I think the best questions to ask will be about player retention/recruitment as well as the apparent growth in players of the game, and avoid community gripes /windower stuff that they may not be able to answer that may make them uncomfortable.
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-09-12 10:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the post everyone. Keep it coming.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-12 11:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, and duh. How has the certain global health crisis affected community rep plans? I know they were talking about trying to do a stream once every 3 months.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-12 12:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

How long until the horse gets put out to pasture, if ever, is all I am wondering.
(I.E. will they maintain a server or 2, even w/o content updates, for how long?)
[+]
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-09-12 19:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
How long until the horse gets put out to pasture, if ever, is all I am wondering.
(I.E. will they maintain a server or 2, even w/o content updates, for how long?)

20th Anni we getting something big...i feel it... so don't know if this question is relevent :)
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-13 09:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask her what she would want added as a new mount and why it's Carbuncle.

Ask her which NPC she would like to see added as a trust and why it's Lady Lilith.

Ask her favorite expansion and why it's Wings of the Goddess.

Ask her favorite seasonal event in XI and why it's goldfish scooping during the Sunbreeze Festival.

Do I seem biased in what I hope she answers? A bit.
By Crossbones 2020-09-13 09:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask them when they're going to release Cornelia from the basement.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-13 10:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Important question:

[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2020-09-13 10:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be curious about what the general responsibilities of community managers are outside of interfacing directly with the community. I imagine there is a lot of things we don't get to see under the hood that they could shed some light on.

Also, since I imagine they are interfacing with both the XI and XIV communities, what sort of challenges they may have bouncing between the two as they are two vastly different gaming communities despite both being a "Final Fantasy" game. Or if they even interface with more than just FFXI and FFXIV (I actually don't know if there are other S-E games that required a community manager representative).
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-09-13 11:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Too long; didn't read version: Ask her and talk about the hurdles getting new player's feet wet with FFXI content. I'm sure she will have lots to talk about there.

You wouldn't ask a farmer about open heart surgery and you wouldn't ask a surgeon about soil nutrients best for raising crops so stick with things she has ingrained into her work as a community rep; Trying to help (new) players and the community.

So slightly off topic but relevant point being that especially in the NA/Western community are streamers/content creators who have done videos exploring older parts of Vana'diel and mission and quest walkthroughs.

Honestly, to an extent, SE possibly expanding their community outreach by highlighting said content creators, or taking notes on said content in conjunction with doing FFXI streams more than once every three months focusing on introductory content would be an interesting point to bring up.
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-09-13 13:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fantastic Post