New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » If you use a DPS meter don't post the logs
If you use a DPS meter don't post the logs
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By malakef 2020-09-11 15:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m always running a parse but it’s mostly for my knowledge more than anything. It helps me see the groups overall performance. I never post results for random groups unless someone happens to ask.

But there is a ton of value in a parse don’t kid yourself. It lets me know right away if there is a problem and if it’s one that’s fixable , food or buff change, or if it’s someone not yet ready for the content. Winning a DPS parse more often than not just comes down to did you get a shitty para, did you hit your WS macro a second before me so got the last one off, or did someone die because with as little new stuff as has come out errbody done got at least one BIS job it seems like.

Also you can win parses by cheating. Warcry better for you than for me? *** you I ain’t going to use it. You winning and I’m on thf? Here have a ***ton of hate and die or sit in DT gear longer. You winning and got charmed oh hell yeah eat this accidental torcleaver.

Now that said we talk a lot of ***in my LS about parses mostly as good natured ribbing. We get some good laughs but it’s always about parsing against ourselves and trying to get better. And when someone loses they generally ask how to improve and that’s where I get the greatest use out of it as we can have those conversations honestly.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 15:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Hell, doing VDs, needing vey few of them to get all your points for the month is even less important to shave a minute or two off a run.

Admit it, you just feel as though your time somehow is inherently more important than others.

No- we think everyone's time is more important than 18+minute ambuscade runs. That's why if your group isn't handling it, you move down a notch. Or you change setups. Or strats. SOMETHING, ANYTHING- versus just bashing a brick wall inefficiently.

When you have people pulled in 8 different directions time-wise in game (campaigns, personal projects, group events) along with an aging gaming community with more real-world responsibilities, maximizing your time in game only makes sense.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 15:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Admit it, you just feel as though your time somehow is inherently more important than others.

especially when I have a child now~ So pull your weight or join a D ambu when you see me shout
Well sport I guess you really won't want your reality shattered to learn that your time aint worth ***, just like the rest of us. So get off your ego trip. You're not as important as you tell yourself.
 Bismarck.Gippali
Server: Bismarck
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2020-09-11 15:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If you value your time, that makes you an elitist...got it.
[+]
By Torzak 2020-09-11 15:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I parse everything. It's a tool that can be used in either negative, positive, or fairly neutral ways.

I have a good memory for things like alt-tab / half assedly playing, and content depending, or head's up depending, can result in being on a ***list depending on frequency and whatever other variables, and it's usually the parse that serves as early indicator. You can do further analysis from there: visual or through other options within the parse utility (WS frequency)

I have a strong grasp on game mechanics as it relates to affecting a parse.
* If you're on some gimmicky Ambu task that cripples your dps, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm well aware - no need to be defensive
* If it's your first time doing a fight and you die to some mechanic of the fight, it's going to affect your numbers in the parse. I want to see what you can do for real, so I reset the numbers for next try, practically religiously.
* If a fight's mechanics lead to random 30+ sec amnesia, or Flash (hi SR), I pay zero mind to a parse linked after a first round. That guy is a jack *** (I leave wiggle room for various context or request)
* If I'm backline and one of the DD's is doing 50% of the group's damage and the other two are around 20%, that guy doing 50%, assuming he's not being dumb, is getting priority support from me as it relates to cure, -na, -erase, raise, etc. If you think that's unfair, that's not my problem.

I think whoever links numbers on a pug Omen <edit: card> run (as one example), is almost for sure sure a jack *** (wiggle room for context).

I often link damage at the end of a set of runs if I feel the numbers are actually representing performance, or on request.
If you don't like it, it's probably more a you problem than a me problem.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 15:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Gippali said: »
Valuing your time is one thing. thinking your time is sooooooooo valuable that you cannot spare a couple more minutes for others than yes, you are an elitist.
 Asura.Lanun
Server: Asura
By Asura.Lanun 2020-09-11 15:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Always post the parse, just don't get defensive if you're not 1st. Problem solved.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 15:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well sport I guess you really won't want your reality shattered to learn that your time aint worth ***, just like the rest of us. So get off your ego trip. You're not as important as you tell yourself.

Your getting too worked up on this issue. I just wanna have 6-8min VD runs if Im gonna play support and form the party from scratch. Im sorry your offended... Please forgive me as I didn't think you was this soft..
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 15:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, you think you are saving people time, by dropping the flow (a flow that is winning) to argue over who in your party sucks the most, dropping said body, then waiting however much time to find a replacement?

Listen to yourselves.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 15:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valuing your time is one thing. thinking your time is sooooooooo valuable that you cannot spare a couple more minutes for others than yes, you are an elitist.

two scenarios-

1. a group organizes to do some VD ambuscade runs, and they invite their friend who just came back to the game after 5 years. They struggle, unable to win, and in 2 hours of trying to "help" that person, everyone ends up with zero hallmarks/gallantry.

2. a group organizes to do some VD ambuscade, as above. Their friend, who just came back after 5 years, asks to join. They instead suggest he joins the N ambuscade shout that is happening. Two hours later, the original group has done 8 runs and has 28k hallmarks, and the returnee has done 10 runs of normal, has 12k hallmarks and has gotten to feel valuable even upon just returning.

So which one is cruel? Which one is actually helping that returnee grow?
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-09-11 15:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy *** Nick, did you piss in Draugo's cornflakes or some ***?
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 15:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

two scenarios-

1. a group organizes to do some VD ambuscade runs, and they invite their friend who just came back to the game after 5 years. They struggle, unable to win, and in 2 hours of trying to "help" that person, everyone ends up with zero hallmarks/gallantry.

2. a group organizes to do some VD ambuscade, as above. Their friend, who just came back after 5 years, asks to join. They instead suggest he joins the N ambuscade shout that is happening. Two hours later, the original group has done 8 runs and has 28k hallmarks, and the returnee has done 10 runs of normal, has 12k hallmarks and has gotten to feel valuable even upon just returning.

So which one is cruel? Which one is actually helping that returnee grow?

Your hypothetical has nothing to do with dumping parse into a PUG chat log in order to "improve the group"

Of course players need to play at a level of challenge that still allows them winning any points. People don't exhibit this parse dumping behavior in just VDs, the friend and his buddy should go play an N together, his friend has an option to drop your party and help his buddy also, your entire group can opt to help the guy out and lower the difficulty a bit so that way he isnt just thrust into the void that is PUG parse bombs.

Your choices are infinite. This game is about helping each other to beat various difficulties of monsters and gain loot.

I am saying its a *** move to pickup a person, who is trying, dump on them over a parse, then boot them because they should get good, a monumental task when you have 0 foot in the door ability to make gains quick enough to keep up with your leeto standards.

but then you will cry all over the place that no one knows how to beat these mechanics, are scrub geared, and boo hoo I am too powerful for everything and bored,gonna quit now.

GET THE *** OVER YOURSELVES, and IF YOU COMMIT TO A GROUP, QUIT BEING A FLAKE.
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2020-09-11 15:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »
I guess I've never rolled with people who were that concerned about it. My LS asks if anyone wants to do Ambu and we do it. We don't say "ok Dudeguytaru, you're about 2% off parse, we're gonna drop you for Billybobdudeguy."

My group has rarely put someone else in party due to lack of job efficacy (usually not because of gear but because of negative experience with that player). That said there are more people in this game and some in this forum that believe someone should take them SOLELY on the fact they responded to a yell faster.

No I don't expect someone to put hundreds of millions of gil into a job before they do endgame. But I myself do, I also take the time to make sure my macro's lua's etc are working correctly, that I have nin tools if needed, food and critical meds.

(ambuscade)I had a guy that got mad when I posted parse in group (this was a ls member), until I commented after the parse that I was seriously impressed my new to the game tank held hate off me consistently, and that I didn't have to sandbag the run.

(Omen, Dynamis D)I have had dd's that we told them to do nothing since they didn’t communicate and would endanger the group in runs. Personally, I see that as far more insulting than losing a parse.
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-09-11 15:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly i would probably just do N or D with the friend. Knock out two birds with one stone. Friend feels valuable and I don't have to deal with the morons of asura.
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-11 15:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, you think you are saving people time, by dropping the flow (a flow that is winning) to argue over who in your party sucks the most, dropping said body, then waiting however much time to find a replacement?

Listen to yourselves.

You have it backwards. You're trying to defend a person in VD who hasn't gotten to that level yet. there are levels of Ambu for a reason. I don't see what's so difficult about that to understand? Nobody here is saying "Screw these weaker ppl, I'm going on my own." because they still need to party to VD... What they are saying is that people who are not equipped to VD should not be doing VD. If they are, it screws the other 5 people.
[+]
 Shiva.Applesmash
Server: Shiva
user: Hyriu
By Shiva.Applesmash 2020-09-11 15:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Time to join random Asura shout groups and post parses
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 15:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tawhoya said: »

Listen to yourselves.

You have it backwards. You're trying to defend a person in VD who hasn't gotten to that level yet. there are levels of Ambu for a reason. I don't see what's so difficult about that to understand? Nobody here is saying "Screw these weaker ppl, I'm going on my own." because they still need to party to VD... What they are saying is that people who are not equipped to VD should not be doing VD. If they are, it screws the other 5 people.

Its a mentality that has grown as the die hards stuck around and as their friends return, they "gear 'em up asap". So in some people's minds, being a "friend" translates to "get me loot".

Doing the lower difficulty tiers is exactly what that's designed for- to get yourself up to speed and have access to the exact same rewards as the absolutely best geared players on your server. Of course it will take you longer- if it didn't, where would the motivation to improve and move up a tier be?

And how does all this side-derail relate to parsing and its appropriateness? Its how you can tell if trying to do those higher tier difficulties is a lost cause or a matter of adjustments.

it is extremely rare to actually kick someone from a group due to poor performance, and that's what's being glossed over. People get kicked for being afk, not doing the gameplay aspects of their job, or bad personality. I simply cannot remember ANY time I have asked for someone to leave a group due to poor gearing. I have often suggested that a setup simply won't work with the current people on the current jobs, yes- but that's often more the result of a person not having various options to try and make a setup work.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 15:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Listen to yourselves.

And how does all this side-derail relate to parsing and its appropriateness? Its how you can tell if trying to do those higher tier difficulties is a lost cause or a matter of adjustments.

No you aren't following the conversation. The conversation was originally presented as "not performing well enough" not that they are so undergeared they are flat out causing wipes. but that they aren't doing it fast enough for these ***, so they would prefer to drop a person costing them 2 minutes a run, even though they are managing to win the content, even though they are at least registering on the parse, *** that guy hes out, is the attitude I am annoyed with.

But yea I'm the one who's an ***, sure....
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-09-11 15:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

However, If the optimal time to clear is say 4Mins and it's taking 10 because a player isn't holding their weight, then i'm all for kicking their ***. Now if the run is taking say a mere Min longer and you're being petty and bringing up parse that's differnt.

I also think its on that player to know if they are up to par on the content they are trying to do. Don't be joining VD shouts with Ambu +1 gear and wonder why your're kicked...
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-11 16:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Listen to yourselves.

No you aren't following the conversation. The conversation was originally presented as "not performing well enough" not that they are so undergeared they are flat out causing wipes. but that they aren't doing it fast enough for these ***, so they would prefer to drop a person costing them 2 minutes a run, even though they are managing to win the content, even though they are at least registering on the parse, *** that guy hes out, is the attitude I am annoyed with.

Man, you're very hyperbolic... Nobody is calling you anything *** or otherwise. Also, the wipes weren't mentioned by anyone except you just now. The whole thing is about finding your party's place in Ambu and spending the minimum amount of time on these runs not the max. Even the post that you became vitriolic over was just stating that he'd rather go support than DD to speed things up.

It's Friday brother, lets chill a bit lol.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-09-11 16:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna point out that these are pugs doing N Ambuscade, Wave 2 DD, SR or similar content.

We aren't talking VD or wave 3 where you would have more of an argument for posting it.

The main point was not to post it in random pugs, and with more "casual" players. The mindsets are different between well geared and driven players and casual players doing lesser content. Yes well geared players do lower tier pug content (most are great but some do stuff like I mentioned)

Also, if for no other reason you can get banned and/or the parsers might get blocked. I've seen them blocked on another MMO I play and the people were outraged, without knowing why. Cause lots of casual players reported it as harassment when numbuts post them in their groups.
[+]
 Sylph.Wardeniv
Server: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniv 2020-09-11 16:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I def have some mixed feelings on this as quite a few others have. The intent goes a long way (which is hard to discern, especially among strangers).

If you're joining rando's in shouts, it probably isn't the environment to be posting parses. That said, people in this game get offended/defensive way too easily regarding anything that challenges their perception of "I am right and I have a firm grasp of the things I do". I think we've seen a lot of similar examples/impact of this IRL over the past 4 years.

Bottom line imo is everyone needs to chill and be kind to one another. Not everyone who posts a parse they're the top of is trying to gloat, and not everyone who gets offended couldn't also stand to maybe improve on a few aspects of how they play (if they're even interested in improving).

If you encounter people who are being asshats, dismiss them and move on for your own sake.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 16:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Listen to yourselves.

Man, you're very hyperbolic... Nobody is calling you anything *** or otherwise. Also, the wipes weren't mentioned by anyone except you just now. The whole thing is about finding your party's place in Ambu and spending the minimum amount of time on these runs not the max. Even the post that you became vitriolic over was just stating that he'd rather go support than DD to speed things up.

It's Friday brother, lets chill a bit lol.
I had to put down my dog this morning. I apologize for coming across harsh. I get annoyed with elitists in this game, even if they only post a few ***comments. ill call them out. my issue, i apologize.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 16:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

didn't parse well?
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-11 16:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I had to put down my dog this morning. I apologize for coming across harsh. I get annoyed with elitists in this game, even if they only post a few ***comments. ill call them out. my issue, i apologize.

Sorry to hear about your dog man... that sucks bad. All good; thanks for being a man about it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 16:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

didn't parse well?

Get ***, not funny.
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-09-11 16:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Just know you randoms if you post a parse in my party. Enjoy the Mordion Gaol.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-09-11 16:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's another way to look at it. Pugs are just pugs, but linkshell events are coordinated. No matter what event you're organizing for there are only so many slots available for DD's, and somebody's going to have to tank and support. It's reasonable to expect that your DD's are competent. Nitpicking the difference between a couple percent is stupid, and if the difference between your top 5 dd's is 13 mil, 11.5 mil, 9 mil, 8.5 mil, and 8 mil then they're all in a good spot. But if one of your DD's is parsing 3.5 mil while the others are bridging the 10 mil gap there's a problem. Either that person isn't geared properly for the event, or they aren't paying attention and they're letting the group carry them.

It's these situations where it's reasonable to call someone out. Going back to the "There are only so many DD slots available", when one person is drastically lagging behind everyone else, and especially if it happens on a consistent basis, then they aren't pulling their weight and it might be prudent to replace them for someone more capable. That's a situation dependent call, but organized events aren't the same as pugs. It's not just your time here, it's 17 other people's time to, and there are often more people who want to go to an event than there's room to bring along. It's not an easy decision, but in fairness it's one that can also spur someone to better themselves. If the problem was that they truly were under geared for the event, then telling them "no you can't bring your DD job to said event until it's ready" is one of the best motivators to get them to gear up properly. And there's nothing stopping them from bringing that job to the event again when they are properly geared a few months down the road....and you could expect that by then they'll be able to contribute equally with everyone else.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 16:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I know sometimes I come off a little smug and Im sorry about that... really sorry about your dog...

Maybe its because I am on a smaller server... I usually play with 2-3 friends.. usually I'm on rdm, cor or brd dpsing with them filling the rest of the support or tank leaving 2 party slots. it fen sucks to finally get the group running and the dds we got are being out parsed by me on brd.

Everything is situational on what plays out next... Usually we can switch some pieces around and make it work better... but if we can't we either lower the difficulty (which lets be real.. if we had 3 friends that want to do vd and geared for it they would be against it) or part ways and find a dd that can manage.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2020-09-11 17:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Parses are often not a true representation of what a DD is doing. For example, DRKs can stun, BLU's can buff, DNC's can heal and erase etc. People have lives, so some may drift off or get distracted... we aren't robots. DPS is not the be-all, end-all of a battle.

This game is diverse enough that damage is important, but it isn't (usually) the one thing deciding whether we win or not. Yes, the party will kill the target quicker, but extra damage does not necessarily make it any safer. The only time it does? Is when you're taking so long your mages are running out of MP so they can't heal; or the enemy has one of those "F You!" moves.

If I join a group with players who may not know me too well (they might assume I LOVE doing top damage 'coz I'm DRK..) and we talk damage, I tell them my only parse is this. 1) Did we win? Yes? Great, let's do it again and quicker. 2) We didn't win? So what's the problem? Is it damage? Most of the time it isn't.

Parses are good for zerg fights, where the only thing that matters is pure damage. Melee burns. SMN burns. The DDs want to know if they are exceptionally behind. Most of the time it's because of bad timing (they started too late), but sometimes it can spark a discussion about better gearsets. But this should only really be discussed in a linkshell of close friends/acquaintances. Don't start pulling this crap in PUGs.. especially if you're #1 (and you gave the WHM a headache the whole time). No one cares if you topped the parse, they care about progressing.

In any noteworthy battle outside of zergs, you should be damaging as much as your tank can keep hate. Your DPS should be determined by that, not by how hard you can spam the WS macro til the target turns and eats you. A dead DD is not a good DD... even if you topped the parse by miles for half the fight.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9