First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 11:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ariaum said: »
Right but if I am carrying you it might matter to me.
Don't put yourself in those situations then?
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-11 11:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I'd agree, I guess my issue more lies with those who get upset by posted parses in such situations. I mean, we all know what that person posting a parse in a pickup is doing- it isn't meant to be constructive. So no need to get in a tizzy about it, just let them think that winning a parse on a pickup groups Vol.1 Normal run means something, and keep truckin. Its just not worth getting butthurt about.

When I was first introduced to a parse, it was in a PUG. I don't remember the context, but it really pointed out to me 2 things: I sucked hard at drk and people can track it.

My first reaction was anger because I was like "Why you gotta show everyone how much I suck?", but after a /t convo, I realized how beneficial parses were. Since then I've used it to try different gear sets / weapons, but because I know the feeling when you're unfamiliar with those things I won't post them without a request.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2020-09-11 11:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

without our buffs and healers DD aint ***. the parse doesn’t tell these heroes’ stories.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 11:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, we need a parse for keeping Haste up, which Haste, which songs, which rolls, and the % of the time they stayed up.

Also how fast the healers take off debuffs.

It's not fair that only DDs get to strut their stuff!
By Shichishito 2020-09-11 11:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dibble said: »
I 100% agree... if you're running the parser, and YOU parse 50% below the same job. By all means, ask that person for tips.

Anything else is masturbation or passive-aggressive ***.
isn't the passive-agressive guy the one who dumps his parse results in party chat of a pickup groups?
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 11:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean the whole "I am doing to be helpful" in a random group just trying to beat the mob consistently isn't doing anyone any favors. What are they supposed to do in that situation? Drop everything and 10mil or w/e that they don't have inorder to buy or make better gear for themselves, just so you can see 5 more second shaved off a fights, and .03% more damage? I mean get real.

In an LS with players you always play with, sure parsing can help a group decide where to assist a player to make improvements.

But in a random group? When the rest of your DPS are not having trouble with beating the mob, all you are doing is bitching that the group you are in is slowing down your progress and want to make sure that group knows. Just dumping a parse in the party chat log at random is going to do nothing with helping that group.

You don't need a parse to tell that your DPS and or BUFF situation is not ideal. You play this game, you can feel it when you time out or are just taking too long to make the runs worth it. You don't need to rub it in the face of others that you parse better than others.

I agree it's epeen.

(Again LS, and long time buddy uses are a completely different topic when it comes to parse use.)
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 11:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
without our buffs and healers DD aint ***. the parse doesn’t tell these heroes’ stories.

As has been hinted at by other posters before me, parsing can show the story of a lazy buffer or one not fully geared yet a LOT more than it can show "bad DDs".

Toss a really pimped out BRD and GEO into a pickup ambu group with DDs that just meet acc requirements but aren't decked out, and they look great.

Toss killer DDs into a party with a junk BRD and ill-equipped GEO, and no matter what those DDs do they'll look worse than the prior example.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-11 11:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm literally in the middle on this one.

I always run a parse, not because I give a ***and "try hard" to win. But to make sure everyone is "putting in some effort" it's not that serious.

I don't care if you parsed 4th with BiS gear that you bought and you suck. I DO care if your acc is 50% and you're late to engage etc and will call that out, with the proof.

(*) unless it's like an ambuscade E/N then I might just tell you and say hey buddy, your acc is pretty bad, you got some food etc?
[+]
 Asura.Yottaxa
user: Yottaxa
By Asura.Yottaxa 2020-09-11 11:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait wait wait - you got to play in group content and not solo with trusts? Didn't know that still exists.

I am neutral - its helpful at times but unnecessary in a pug as per se.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 11:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, over 90% of the time when someone claims they're carrying someone, they're not. I don't know how many times I've seen someone in this game from back in the 75 era to now make that claim when the content would have been cleared even if that "carrier" were not even there.

It's usually just some guy wanting to inflate his own ego.

Not saying that's what you do.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 11:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »

To be fair, over 90% of the time when someone claims they're carrying someone, they're not. I don't know how many times I've seen someone in this game from back in the 75 era to now make that claim when the content would have been cleared even if that "carrier" were not even there.

It's usually just some guy wanting to inflate his own ego.

Not saying that's what you do.
*** truth. You need a party to clear stuff, whether it's a mix of trusts or other players.

Calling yourself the carrier is *** silly. The only time a person carries another is if that person is a 5/6 multiboxers and you are just standing around.

The group carries each other. Period.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 12:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 12:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Another point someone parsing a PUG may need to take into account would be: WTF do you think they are doing at that very moment grinding along with that group to begin with? They are attempting to develope their job/character utilizing that activity. The very fact they have joined your group and are trying to pull their weight where they can, is enough. You don't need to be their little mentor or XI coach (especially when they didn't ask for your advice) just because you are better than them.

The very act of them being in your group and playing their character to IT'S max should be enough. If not GTFO and make your own party.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-11 12:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Parses are good and bad. You can never claim to know the person's true intentions of posting it public in random groups, as everyone is different.

During Qiq ambu, I had fellow DDs send me tells during the group mentioning how I beat their DD on BLU or how my DNC/BST was "lower end". I didn't get offended or impressed, as I run my own and use it to determine where I make changes, but I never post it nor do I disclose to others their dps is lower or higher than mine, because in the end, we won with no issues. I have also been in one random PUG where the leader specifically said "post the parse", some SAM posted it, and the lowly parsing BLU got really upset and flipped out and dropped. Some people are going to be offended because they "lost" (you won the fight though, whocares.gif)

tldr; some people will be offended, some people won't care. imo, just run your own and keep numbers to yourself UNLESS there is some glaring issue you can address to improve the entire group (still don't have to post it publicly unless someone asks for it)
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 12:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Another point someone parsing a PUG may need to take into account would be: WTF do you think they are doing at that very moment grinding along with that group to begin with? They are attempting to develope their job/character utilizing that activity. The very fact they have joined your group and are trying to pull their weight where they can, is enough. You don't need to be their little mentor or XI coach (especially when they didn't ask for your advice) just because you are better than them.

The very act of them being in your group and playing their character to IT'S max should be enough. If not GTFO and make your own party.

Well said too.

Most of us are adults or veterans. FFXI doesn't have a whole slew of zoomers like World of Warcraft. If people want advice, they'll ask for it. Unsolicited advice is usually annoying, especially when it's public. If I see something the person a may not know, I'll send them a tell and say in the form of a question so it's not like it's being shoved down their throat or make them feel inept.

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
You can never claim to know the person's true intentions of posting it public in random groups, as everyone is different.

When they follow the parse with "lol pwned" or condescending remarks, it's pretty cut/dry.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-09-11 12:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless these people are blatantly shaming someone after posting a parse, this sounds like a lot of needless defensiveness and jumping to conclusions. I don't bother posting parse myself, but when someone else does, most of the time I don't see them making any disparaging comments towards anyone when they do unless it's in jest.

Sure, there are people that trash people after posting the parse and rub it in, but most of the time I see it parsed it's just left to speak for itself. People who trash talk are bound to do it with or without a parser. If you're feeling defensive and upset just because someone posted it, grow thicker skin or take it to heart and perform better. If you know your performance and gear are as good as they can be then just shrug and move on.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 12:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Parses are good and bad. You can never claim to know the person's true intentions of posting it public in random groups, as everyone is different.

During Qiq ambu, I had fellow DDs send me tells during the group mentioning how I beat their DD on BLU or how my DNC/BST was "lower end". I didn't get offended or impressed, as I run my own and use it to determine where I make changes, but I never post it nor do I disclose to others their dps is lower or higher than mine, because in the end, we won with no issues. I have also been in one random PUG where the leader specifically said "post the parse", some SAM posted it, and the lowly parsing BLU got really upset and flipped out and dropped. Some people are going to be offended because they "lost" (you won the fight though, whocares.gif)

tldr; some people will be offended, some people won't care. imo, just run your own and keep numbers to yourself UNLESS there is some glaring issue you can address to improve the entire group (still don't have to post it publicly unless someone asks for it)
Exactly, saying something as simple as, "guys our ACC seems to be a bit low, let's try some different buffs, foods, or job combos and see if we can make this run a little faster/smoother, any suggestions?" Will be much better received and will probably improve the situation than:

/Dumps 10 lines of *** numbers in the log, saying nothing about buffs, all with the simple passive aggressive implication that your DD is clearly at the top, the rest of the group sucks, git good.

I'll take the 1st method all day long.
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 12:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
Unless these people are blatantly shaming someone after posting a parse, this sounds like a lot of needless defensiveness and jumping to conclusions. I don't bother posting parse myself, but when someone else does, most of the time I don't see them making any disparaging comments towards anyone when they do unless it's in jest.

Sure, there are people that trash people after posting the parse and rub it in, but most of the time I see it parsed it's just left to speak for itself. People who trash talk are bound to do it with or without a parser. If you're feeling defensive and upset just because someone posted it, grow thicker skin or take it to heart and perform better. If you know your performance and gear are as good as they can be then just shrug and move on.

I've never seen someone needlessly be defensive. I've seen people tell someone where to go because they wanted to make it known how high their numbers were. Nobody really gets defensive just because someone posts it, even if you know why they did.

I play in 2 shells and neither one ever posts parses. It's not necessary for us. We can tell without a parse where a failure occurred.

There is good reason why Yoshi gave the response he did when someone asked for an in-game parser.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-11 12:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

When they follow the parse with "lol pwned" or condescending remarks, it's pretty cut/dry.

I have not had very many people who post parse in a random group and follow up with anything like this. If I know the person or the group is with friends/ls, that's a different story and the context is entirely different. Any person in a rando PUG doing that is just a clown, but it's rare people do that imo.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-09-11 12:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »

I've never seen someone needlessly be defensive. I've seen people tell someone where to go because they wanted to make it known how high their numbers were.

I play in 2 shells and neither one ever posts parses. It's not necessary for us. We can tell without a parse where a failure occurred.

I have also never seen someone being needlessly defensive but I also haven't seen someone drop a parse and then trash talk everyone else which is why I posted what I did. It just sounds like someone getting up in their own head about the parse because someone posted one. Not that I see parses posted very frequently to begin with, though.
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 12:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen a parse once since I returned nearly 2 years ago. They do not seem so common anymore. But years ago, there were some of "those guys" who liked to inflate their egos using skewed parses.

They would insist that "math does not lie" but you can't count numbers from a short window when you're nuking and someone cannot melee.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 12:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you get offended by knowing how much damage you are doing in endgame content (Dyna D, Ambu D,VD) then maybe you should play whm or geo and leave DPS to people more commited to the task.

If I am going make a pug and see someone is slacking considerbly, I will call them out and try to make adjustment, if we can't Ill drop that DPS in a heartbeat. No harm foul - you just didn't make the cut.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-11 12:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

"those guys" who liked to inflate their egos using skewed parses.

I mean, this is another FFXI-ego/bragging metric players included in the game. When used properly, Parses are helpful and extremely fun (for competition and seeing where you measure vs common job types). You don't really need to post your parse if you win, nor do you really need to brag if you win or get offended if you lose.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 12:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
If I am going make a pug and see someone is slacking considerbly, I will call them out and try to make adjustment, if we can't Ill drop that DPS in a heartbeat. No harm foul - you just didn't make the cut.
At that point what can they do? Unless accuracy is abysmal and they haven't eaten food yet, but even then, when food drops, you will have to "remind" them to do it again.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 12:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you get offended by knowing how much damage you are doing in endgame content (Dyna D, Ambu D,VD) then maybe you should play whm or geo and leave DPS to people more commited to the task.

An example of someone's PEEN getting too big to play a community oriented game. You've also mixed up the discussion pretty hard. We are talking about PUGs a group of people who are clearly too inferior to be graced by your presence to begin with.
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 12:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

A PUG of what? What content are you honestly going to PUG where it matters that much?

The only content I ever PUG is CP. Just about anything else is done with a LS.

I guess I just don't other servers. There is no content in this game my LSs have not completed and we don't parse, we just don't find it necessary.

Even something like Ambu, every group I've ever joined start off on N or D then see if they can go up. Done plenty of VD without the need. And its usually someone messing up a mechanic rather than not doing "enough numbers."
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 12:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
At that point what can they do?

Find another party.
Leviathan.Draugo said: »
An example of someone's PEEN getting too big to play a community oriented game.

If im doing a PUG VD why should I accept a DD that can't perform when a ton of other DD exists that can deliver. Why am I the *** for wanting top tier DPS on VD content when I'm playing BRD, COR, or RDM and dual boxing a GEO?

I join D - N Ambus all the time and it doesn't bother me because the content is so easy its a snore...
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 12:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

A PUG of what? What content are you honestly going to PUG where it matters that much?

endgame content (Dyna D, Ambu D,VD)

Do people read anymore lol ?
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 12:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

endgame content (Dyna D, Ambu D,VD)

Do people read anymore lol ?

Yeah, I read, I just didn't think you actually meant that.

I've never seen anyone parse in Ambu. That's pretty weird. I mean, you can usually tell by someone's gear if they're going to be adequate for Ambu, which is easy anyway.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-11 12:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ambuscade is the most important place to parse.

Time is money, if you're pugging that and you're carrying, that's lost money.

And you can tell absolutely nothing from a persons gear. Two identically geared same jobs can perform dramatically differently.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9