Sexuality In Children's Cartoons.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Sexuality in children's cartoons.
Sexuality in children's cartoons.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-08-18 22:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if this was mentioned, but I kept seeing anime being brought up, and it is important to note that most anime are "shounen" which is intended as a demographic audience of males ages 14 through into their mid 20's.

And most importantly, one should note:

ANIME =/= CARTOONS
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-18 23:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
I don't know if this was mentioned, but I kept seeing anime being brought up, and it is important to note that most anime are "shounen" which is intended as a demographic audience of males ages 14 through into their mid 20's.

And most importantly, one should note:

ANIME =/= CARTOONS
I brought it up tbh.

But let's face it, most males ages 14-25 are still immature, almost childlike.

You can make the case for females too of that age group.

Point being, while we have different cultures, the westernization of anime due to censorship is appalling. And what's worse, the censors are going SJW on it now too!
[+]
By volkom 2020-08-19 00:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

leave my anime out of this
[+]
By Prong 2020-08-19 02:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I will still stand by that many parents throw on cartoons without ever truly watching what their kids watch for a free and immediate babysitter. I have 3 kids myself, but always made it a point to watch what my kids watched not out of fear for what they saw, but honestly just with the intent of being able to get excited about what my kids were talking about at age 5. I felt it important to be able to talk to them about THEIR stuff, not just mine. The added bonus was that I also could vet what they saw.

Right and that's the problem. Unfortunately, many, many parents aren't as astute as you are and just, toss the kids the remote, so to speak.

I do agree that often when a character in ANY show, be it cartoon, comedy, or drama, is presented as LGBTQ, it often becomes the only defining characteristic of them, which is lazy writing and kinda the equivalent of writing a Black character who is just "the black guy" vs having a personality of their own, and their own storyline. It does come across often as a network saying "look! we are socially responsible!" more than "this angle forwards the overall story of this show".

100% agree. And it appears that is what this show is doing, going out of their way to draw attention to that particular aspect of the character, which is where my concern comes in. It's not just organically writing characters that happen to be XYZ, it's a targeted and intentional insertion. The creator of Owl House, Dana Terrance, was quoted as saying she "lobbied hard" to be able to insert the bi-sexual lead character with Disney and her "partner," animator and directer Alex Hirsch (creator of Disney cartoons such as Gravity Falls) tweeted something to the effect of, "Congrats on inserting a bi-sexual lead character, something I was unable to do.." So they aren't just writing and these characters HAPPEN to be organically included that happen to be LGBT, this couple is inserting them with intent and intent to showcase that particular aspect of the character to children. I hate to use the phrase "they have an agenda" as it has become so cliché in these discussions, but that is exactly what this is.

guess I didn't lead that part well enough- I'm quite aware they're french, hence my joke that the only way French are ever presented in cartoons is as being wimpy non-masculine characters with "flair".

Oh I know you were being semi-facetious, I was just kidding, not actually thinking you didn't know the difference. And I absolutely love the OG Beauty and the Beast animated film, probably tied as my favorite Disney effort along with Up and Brave. But, perfect example, the live action film was IMO wrecked by the ever annoying Josh Gad's intentionally gay character version of LeFou. Not because he was gay, but because the director made the character gay simply for the reason to be, "the first Disney live action gay character." LeFou was not gay in the animated film, he was a toadie. Big difference.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-19 02:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

"Up" was beautiful. Still makes me cry. Possibly the best thing PIXAR ever has put out, and I know that's quite a statement. But I've never in my life seen such a heartfelt "cartoon".
[+]
By Prong 2020-08-19 03:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"Up" was beautiful. Still makes me cry. Possibly the best thing PIXAR ever has put out, and I know that's quite a statement. But I've never in my life seen such a heartfelt "cartoon".

Absolutely. And it wrecks my mom, but she loves it. I'd never seen it or even heard of it until it came on TV one evening about 4 months after my father had passed from MDS(Myelodysplastic syndrome). They had been married for 51 years. We almost didn't make it past the first 10 mins of the movie.

And Russle is my all-time favorite Disney character.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-19 19:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

ok I have to add this little tidbit I learned today. The bumbling cowboy who Bugs Bunny tussled with on a regular basis was NOT named for the Yosemite Mountains, or the Park. His full name is Samuel Michaelangelo Rosenbaum....it was a double entendre wordplay on him being Jewish....and was truly "Yo, Semite!"
By Prong 2020-08-19 21:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

ok I have to add this little tidbit I learned today. The bumbling cowboy who Bugs Bunny tussled with on a regular basis was NOT named for the Yosemite Mountains, or the Park. His full name is Samuel Michaelangelo Rosenbaum....it was a double entendre wordplay on him being Jewish....and was truly "Yo, Semite!"

That's crazy talk.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2020-08-28 05:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-28 11:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Link???