Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » FFXI & AppHangB1
FFXI & AppHangB1
 Sylph.Kalmado
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Kalmado7
By Sylph.Kalmado 2020-07-08 14:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to say around five weeks ago I started crashing in FFXI irregularly. Zoning, doing nothing, just moving, etc. Nothing to pinpoint the crash. Windows report says AppHangB1 on pol.exe is the issue. I tried to Google the issue but couldn't find anything solid, or I missed it.

My C:\ drive is an Intel 535 240gb SSD (five years old) that has been in "Caution 1% remaining" status per Crystal Disk Info for months if not possibly a year+. Some sites say it's an issue with the program that even brand new SSDs will read caution 1% remaining. FFXI is on a 2TB drive that houses other games and some documents. Crystal Disk says it's "Normal". I've owned that drive for roughly six years.

Something else that may or may not be involved with the issue is in Event Viewer I'm getting errors for "Disk 6/7/8 has surprise disappeared". I do not have a disk 6, 7, or 8. I do not run virtual machines.

I'm debating on replacing the C:\ drive and/or the drive FFXI is on. I wanted to ask here if anyone else has ran into this issue with FFXI and/or if a fix has been found.
 Bismarck.Batton
Server: Bismarck
user: BattonBiz
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-07-08 15:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure you can ignore the Events listed but you may want to some addl research on it. I've had some hardware issues over the past few years where nothing in my experience really said "this is the problem". I'll summarize my issue / resolution with a big fat disclaimer that a lot of testing went into this trying to determine if it was software or hardware. Ultimately it was hardware failure around the same age as yours.

- Try a different game to see if you have other oddities occur like "lag spikes". FFXI didnt lag, it just crashed - this was ulimately a HDD issue for me.
- When my PC crashed with no memory dump to look at, I had to replace my RAM (although it could be a number of things)
 Sylph.Kalmado
Server: Sylph
user: Kalmado7
By Sylph.Kalmado 2020-07-08 18:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Batton said: »
I'm pretty sure you can ignore the Events listed but you may want to some addl research on it. I've had some hardware issues over the past few years where nothing in my experience really said "this is the problem". I'll summarize my issue / resolution with a big fat disclaimer that a lot of testing went into this trying to determine if it was software or hardware. Ultimately it was hardware failure around the same age as yours.

- Try a different game to see if you have other oddities occur like "lag spikes". FFXI didnt lag, it just crashed - this was ulimately a HDD issue for me.
- When my PC crashed with no memory dump to look at, I had to replace my RAM (although it could be a number of things)
Thank you for the reply. I'm going to start with a new boot drive and go from there. Debating on if I want to clone it or just do a fresh install. Leaning towards the latter.