New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Gear Progression Related Questions
Gear Progression Related Questions
By Ermah 2020-07-01 18:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I want to play Scholar to help my friends when my Beastmaster cannot. I have played Scholar much in the past and my gear is not the worst, but it is not good! I am also at 1300 out of 2100 JP. I would like to create skillchains, magic burst and cure as priority. Soloing would be very nice as well!

Many of the Scholar gear requirements cost much, much gil. I would like to invest my gil wisely, to gain the most from what I have.

I have made a google document with the gearsets I found on the Scholar Guide pages. I will share that document with you now:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14JHGTAJZZvoEIgBkJMmqRlpA7fYzylDTbtIsDV9V0Bs/edit?usp=sharing

I have several questions related to google document:

1. What path do you take Amalric pieces?

2. What path do you take Kaykaus pieces?

3. If I were to progress Nuking/MBing, what pieces should I invest into first? Not including Relic/Artifact pieces, mostly pieces with Abjurations or that must be bought with gil.

4. If I were to progress Curing/Regen what pieces should I invest into first? Not including Relic/Artifact pieces, mostly pieces with Abjurations or that must be bought with gil.

5. Are there any changes to any of the gearsets on there?

Questions unrelated to spreadsheet:

6. When fighting solo, what trusts do you like to use?

7. Do you have any tips for fights solo like Alexander, Odin, Lilith, Duke Vepar, other T3 in Ru'Aun?

Thank you for your time!
 Asura.Epigram
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2020-07-01 18:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Amalric are always macc/matt except the head.
2. If you are worried about gil don't make them, just get cure potency to cap, and whatever -enmity and cure potency II you can get.
3. Find a group get your merlinic for the mb sets below.
4. Fill out with vanya first, replace and upgrade over that.
Fill out your telchine with enhancing duration augments.
5. See below:
6+. Google the fights, work out a strat, failure is a great way to learn. Most fights have game mechanics, figure them out.

Updated Gearsets

How to Play the job, macros etc....

Rua Guide:
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Ermah 2020-07-01 19:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Epigram said: »
1. Amalric are always macc/matt except the head.
2. If you are worried about gil don't make them, just get cure potency to cap, and whatever -enmity and cure potency II you can get.
3. Find a group get your merlinic for the mb sets below.
4. Fill out with vanya first, replace and upgrade over that.
Fill out your telchine with enhancing duration augments.
5. See below:
6+. Google the fights, work out a strat, failure is a great way to learn. Most fights have game mechanics, figure them out.

Updated Gearsets

How to Play the job, macros etc....

Rua Guide:
YouTube Video Placeholder

Thank you for your response.

I was not complaining about the amount of gil needed, I was asking for advice on progressing the best in slot items on which make the biggest difference. Like for example, maybe the boots not important because Empyrean are easy to get and small upgrade over Empyrean. Maybe gloves big upgrade, nothing compare.

Yes, a smart person does learn from their mistakes through trial an error, a wise person learns from others mistake. This game is very old, I ask other people their experience and strategy they learned so I do not repeat the same mistake they make.

Those gearsets are what I added to google doc sheet I uploaded, same with the guide, but they do not answer the questions I asked.

Thank you though for the advice on the Amalric gear and your time for responding!
By Titorinho 2020-07-02 19:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

3) a good stop gap to Argute Stole +2 is the Tenzen neck which will boost your MB dmg more than any other single purchase. Buy the jinxed gages first for the most return on gil to dmg.
4)Musa all day if you have people to farm dyna d points.

6)as ever depends on the fight. Where a tank can survive, tank, brygid, koru, yoran, star sibyl
When no tank, all the passives.

7) Alexander isnt solo friendly but a good DD with Mon yoran qultada could probably do N. I duo D as GEO with a DRK.
Odin SMN can solo E using defensives buffs, debuffs, and AAHM tanking.
Lilith you can E with the gear you have jjust drop a bursted pyrohelix 2 and watch her die. Use amchuchu brygid thf trust koru yoran. Double burst fire 5 and 4 and reapply bursted helix if she erases.
There are videos of schs soloing the T3. You will need better gear for accuracy and job master before attempting these.
By Ermah 2020-07-03 01:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Titorinho said: »
3) a good stop gap to Argute Stole +2 is the Tenzen neck which will boost your MB dmg more than any other single purchase. Buy the jinxed gages first for the most return on gil to dmg.
4)Musa all day if you have people to farm dyna d points.

6)as ever depends on the fight. Where a tank can survive, tank, brygid, koru, yoran, star sibyl
When no tank, all the passives.

7) Alexander isnt solo friendly but a good DD with Mon yoran qultada could probably do N. I duo D as GEO with a DRK.
Odin SMN can solo E using defensives buffs, debuffs, and AAHM tanking.
Lilith you can E with the gear you have jjust drop a bursted pyrohelix 2 and watch her die. Use amchuchu brygid thf trust koru yoran. Double burst fire 5 and 4 and reapply bursted helix if she erases.
There are videos of schs soloing the T3. You will need better gear for accuracy and job master before attempting these.

Thank you ^_^ Is there a trick to double magic bursting? I try to magic burst V and IV but only V gets bursted, I can magic burst V and II, but my FC is only 68, but I sub red mage so I think that makes it over cap?
By Titorinho 2020-07-03 10:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a narrow window so you must be stationary capped fc and start casting the first moment you can (as soon as the three ghostly circles of the cast animation cross infront of you). Inhave heard that the tier one helix spells leave the MB window open longer due to a longer animation. Im not sure its true, but i macro in helix to close sc just in case. I can do tier 5 and 4 in one window or a helix 2 and a tier 4. Make sure to haste yourself as well so you can open with two skillchains quickly, the cool down on your closing spell may trip you up if you arent mindful.
 Bismarck.Ruzaki
Server: Bismarck
user: roxya
By Bismarck.Ruzaki 2020-07-03 13:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What about Embla Sash? Seems like a great easy to obtain regen/FC/idle piece but I never see it mentioned.
 Bismarck.Batton
Server: Bismarck
user: BattonBiz
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-07-04 00:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

absolutely, its a must-have