New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Coronach help
Coronach help
By doniishu 2020-06-18 06:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Newb here,

I'm looking at Vampirism stats and cannot figure out why this is BiS main hand for Coronach when it's mods are DEX/AGI, can someone please explain this to me? Thank you in advance.
 Bahamut.Sixty
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kvaal
By Bahamut.Sixty 2020-06-18 08:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Because of the magic attack bonus. augmented Malevolence is better though.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-18 08:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

That was nothing to do with coronoch. It's not magical.

Typically if someone recommends Vamp it's because of the STR. STR on a ranged ws is as good as or better than the modifiers.

I haven't seen anyone talk about it in a hot minute though. Suppose it's still best.
 Bahamut.Sixty
Server: Bahamut
user: Kvaal
By Bahamut.Sixty 2020-06-18 08:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right. Completely misread that
[+]
By doniishu 2020-06-18 10:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Figured that was the only reason, its the only mod that made sense to me. thanks for the reply.
By SimonSes 2020-06-18 11:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally speaking STR is garbage on any WS without STR modifier until you actually start rising fSTR or fSTR2 by adding STR.

Without main weapons, Coronach set in RNG guide has +154 STR. I think ranger's base STR isnt higher than 100. So we have around 255 STR.

Lower fSTR2 cap for R15 Annihilator is -34

That means you are below fSTR2 lower cap on anything with VIT above ~285

Higher lvl Apex mobs has above 300VIT (but even lower lvl apex crabs have 350 I think). Idk about VD Ambuscade mobs or Dynamis mobs, but I assume they have more than Apex, so I would guess 350+

So unless you lower their VIT (with Impact or something) or boost your STR somehow (Boost-str, food etc.), you probably wont get any fSTR2 from STR on Vampirism on any high ilvl mobs.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-18 12:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a definitive method to test mobs stats?
By doniishu 2020-06-18 12:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Generally speaking STR is garbage on any WS without STR modifier until you actually start rising fSTR or fSTR2 by adding STR.

Without main weapons, Coronach set in RNG guide has +154 STR. I think ranger's base STR isnt higher than 100. So we have around 255 STR.

Lower fSTR2 cap for R15 Annihilator is -34

That means you are below fSTR2 lower cap on anything with VIT above ~285

Higher lvl Apex mobs has above 300VIT (but even lower lvl apex crabs have 350 I think). Idk about VD Ambuscade mobs or Dynamis mobs, but I assume they have more than Apex, so I would guess 350+

So unless you lower their VIT (with Impact or something) or boost your STR somehow (Boost-str, food etc.), you probably wont get any fSTR2 from STR on Vampirism on any high ilvl mobs.

I greatly appreciate the explanation. what would you recommend for a main hand? I was just gonna find my best weapon with the modifiers and Rattk.
 Asura.Epigram
Server: Asura
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2020-06-18 13:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are going to use Coronach you are probably going to also do last stand at some point for light, so I would go with perun+1.