June 2020 Version Update
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-12-18 17:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, they probably already felt pretty dumb making a relic for their linkshell leader long before this point.
By RadialArcana 2021-12-18 17:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I made a relic back then, you just paid for everyone to enter and then lotted the coins. Most just wanted af2.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-18 17:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So gullible, they were, still are, but back then too
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2021-12-18 19:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
I mean, it was causing mass inflation.

Mass inflation was making the prices of everything you buy increase, which means all that gil you were making was worth far less anyway.

I'd still rather have this, because numerous required upgrade items come straight from NPCs, and inflation doesn't affect them. (AF+3, as an example)

Certain facets of market economy are weird in the context of FF11 for that reason: the game creates gil out of thin air, which you might relate to a government minting more money every year, but the decreasing value of gil does not affect every industry the same way. (Maybe I'm just salty about throwing away millions of gil for ruthenium ore for +3s, lol)

EDIT:

FFXI is one of the few mmorpgs that has a very complicated economy and where near everything is interconnected, I don't think any developer would make a game like this ever again. It's too much of a headache to keep the economy balanced and too attractive for RMT.

Gold/gil is far less important on other games and is just for side projects like mounts or housing, you can play most games and be near penniless just fine.

On FFXI it's everything, making a single REMA is hundreds of millions alone and that's a lot of work to make that gil.

Also, it's heavily based on supply and demand. So you can make a lot of gil easily doing something, then if others find out in too large of numbers you will quickly goto making a lot less or being unable to sell your stuff.

Even something like Ody farming gil, if too many start doing it...guess what they will do? Reduce the amount.

Yeah, I agree. They can also tweak the prices of vendor-sold items too.
By Shichishito 2021-12-20 12:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It's too much of a headache to keep the economy balanced and too attractive for RMT.
SE isn't carefully balancing, instead of observing and finetuning they just rush out some fix that ends up completely overshooting because they don't pay attention to the situation for half a decade afterwards.

sparks/accolades was the equivalent of turning on the bathtubes faucet then go do something else. when they realised the tube is spilling over (single items going for up to 2/3 of cap gil) they added hefty gil sinks like the 1.1 million materials for crafting which is the equivalent of pulling the plug.

imho prices for artifact and relic upgrades are way over the top and should have been adjusted over a year ago. the omen scale drops adjustments to make artifact/relic more attainable make no sense with these prices.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-20 12:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more like filling a pool with a fire hydrant, and 1.1m items were the teaspoons they used to prevent overflow.

And 5 years of teaspooning later, now sure the 1.1m items cost too much, especially considering how useless the gear is. Just skip it.
By RadialArcana 2021-12-20 12:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
SE isn't carefully balancing

They added a new source of gil after the nerf, you just have to go do that other thing.

However, as is always the case if too many start doing it or a minority do it too much they will simply nerf the reward from that new thing too.

They could remove all gil as a reward from Ody in the next patch if they wanted, and just give you segments. To be honest, the amount of gil they give you is way too generous and is probably only still the same cause so few are actually doing it still.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-20 15:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Actual players are more likely to benefit from Odyssey gil rewards, because RMT do not like to gear up. They only get the bare minimum, which ends up being a waste of time because their characters wouldn't handle bigger pulls in that zone.

If RMT could easily farm Odyssey, they would be doing it. SE is giving gil rewards for genuine players, by 1) putting it behind a time gate, 2) making it performance related, and 3) nerfing AoEs in to oblivion. They can combat deflation by giving us more content with gil rewards similar to Odyssey, but it needs anti-bot measures, or it will become just like how sparks was.
By RadialArcana 2021-12-20 15:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

RMT and Devs are like opposing magnets, as long as either side don't push too hard they kind of reach equilibrium.

If one side pushes too hard then they get a reaction from the other, and neither side wants that. We just had such a thing, with that new error code, which was caused by RMT farming with speed bots in low level areas.

Farming Ody seriously would get a big reaction, which is counter productive to running a business.
By Felgarr 2021-12-20 21:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
It's more like filling a pool with a fire hydrant, and 1.1m items were the teaspoons they used to prevent overflow.

And 5 years of teaspooning later, now sure the 1.1m items cost too much, especially considering how useless the gear is. Just skip it.

Your point is valid and can be further quantified by gil-sink costs of Odyssey gear (sub 1M-4M if Ody NMs are killed regularly, right?) ....vs AF1 mats come from NPC in craft gils at 1.2M.

The relative cost of Ody armor is just cheaper than AF1 and probably easier to obtain and I'm sure RMT love this in terms of spinning up characters.
By Shichishito 2021-12-21 07:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

it didn't make any sense cause iirc they still had sparks/acc active for a while after implementing the gill sinks but once sparks/acc were gone the "teaspoons" add up over the years and while other items prices can go down due to inflation these won't until SE feels like adjusting them, which they should have done when they made boss scales a regular mob drop.

i haven't checked every AF/relic armor but from what i've seen most sets have at least 1 piece that's exceptionally well and 2-3 others that are situationally usefull but no must haves.
however most of them are at least swaps for some ability so you have to pick them up, if you could +3 them for cheap most ppl would probably do it simply cause you could conveniently pick up the entire set from a single slip.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20