2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » RIP SPARKS!!!
RIP SPARKS!!!
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 15 16 17
By Quizzy 2020-06-04 17:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Frod said: »
Gil isn't worthless in 14, it's just that the game is very cyclical. When a new expansion comes out, all the gear and glams get rushed and gil flows to buy stuff related to that. then as each update comes out it's either r/e equivalent gear best in slot and gil stagnates a bit or a new crafted set comes out and it briefly blips in monetary flow. unlike XI with its horizontal progression and myriad of options, in XIV it's a constant treadmill up every patch.

Again, I didn't play very long and it was at like 60 cap I think, but I capped all my crafts and all my exclusive gear and was left with nothing to spend gil on except a house plot.

This evidently changed!
By Draylo 2020-06-04 17:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really, its still like that unless you consider needing top gear as soon as it releases when it will just be invalidated next update cycle.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-06-04 18:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Not really, its still like that unless you consider needing top gear as soon as it releases when it will just be invalidated next update cycle.
Sounds super fun, not really.
 Phoenix.Jakarai
Server: Phoenix
user: jakarai
By Phoenix.Jakarai 2020-06-04 22:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Newzarb said: »
Phoenix.Jakarai said: »

I'm not understanding how you think this is farming gil out of thin air? The gil comes from buying shields and npcing, its the same with UNM or anything you farm in the game and npc the only difference is the reward is bigger.

If people were duping that's creating gil out of thin air this is not the case with sparks/accolades.

Consider selling sparks gear to NPCs as the same as being able to print bills. Imagine you can print bills at will. You'll be happy and print 10,000 dollars every week because why not, and you'll feel you're getting richer and then start buying items you thought you couldn"t buy before.

Now imagine everyone doing the same as you. Everyone will also start buying items they couldn't buy before but due to a supply that isn't increasing, people will start buying the same item at higher price.

That's gil coming from thin air and the source of inflation.

Now if you push this reasoning further, a kraken club could sell for 999,999,999 gil soon which is a problem on its own because it's the maximum amount of gils one can carry at once.

And if you keep pushing it further, an Su5 weapon could aswell start selling for 999,999,999 gil. Compared to a kraken club, one could say it makes no sense to sell it at the same price.

And finally if you push it to the very extreme, even a flint stone could sell for 999,999,999 gil but obviously I assume SE would do something before that happens.

where do you think banks get money from?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-06-04 23:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah yes, its just that easy...just print new money, no big deal.

Why doesnt the US just print 25 trilion dollars and pay off their debt if its so easy?
 Phoenix.Jakarai
By Phoenix.Jakarai 2020-06-04 23:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

Ah yes, its just that easy...just print new money, no big deal.

Why doesnt the US just print 25 trilion dollars and pay off their debt if its so easy?

what does any of this have to do with US debt?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-06-04 23:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You brought up where banks get their money, as if just printing money non stop wont have an impact to the economy.
[+]
 Phoenix.Jakarai
By Phoenix.Jakarai 2020-06-04 23:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You brought up where banks get their money, as if just printing money non stop wont have an impact to the economy.

well that $2 trillion came from no where and my 401k is still down for the year so it didn't seem to have much of an impact to me.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-06-04 23:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

They should just print more then, what can go wrong lol
[+]
 Phoenix.Jakarai
By Phoenix.Jakarai 2020-06-04 23:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

They should just print more then, what can go wrong lol

thats what they plan to do.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 00:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Now that I've rofled my lol off. Real talk.

Enjoy more CP bots "taking all the good camps" because they have to sell more CP to make up for lost spark income.

Quote:
Do you think these entities will all just go away now? they will retool to make gil another way, and that way will be even more annoying to the rest of us.

(Which won't be me btw, I'm far to lazy to put that much effort in) I'll just run 100 bots instead of 20.

Either way this hurts your bottom line. You have to create more accounts, level them up, pay the extra $1/month. And if there are bans again your work just increased by tensfold.

This is a good nerf and hopefully a substantial one by SE.

Im going to end this right here. No, this will in no way hurt the RMTs bottom line. The cost/gil will adjust for deflation in general, and theyll just move to other methods of income after the cap that are too dull and boring for a reasonable player.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 00:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, ffxi is a videogame. Gil will always be generated from thin air.... thats how the economy in the game works unless you remove gil from the equation altogether and do an item > item trade system. But then players will just make one of the rare stack drops be the currency to make trades anyway (phantasy star online's photon drop after meseta became irrelevant)

Videogame economies dont matter. Why developers dont try and make crafting fun and enjoyable and built around getting players better gear and progress, or even having crafting jobs required for raids/bosses somehow instead of trying to simulate some kind of economy that will always break down is beyond me.
 Bahamut.Newzarb
Server: Bahamut
user: newzarb
By Bahamut.Newzarb 2020-06-05 02:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The huge difference between anyone being to print bills at will and one institution (idk how it works in the US but it must be the Federal bank) printing bills is that the institution doesn't print bills at will.

They control the amount of bills printed so they know how much is injected to the economy every year... to control the effects of inflation !

Obviously this isn't possible in a game since there's no government so the only thing SE can do is control the possible ways for players to create "new gils" (mainly by NPCing items).
 Bahamut.Minimuse
Server: Bahamut
user: grumpette
By Bahamut.Minimuse 2020-06-05 05:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Counterfeit Gil
Essentially, botted RMT gils amounts to counterfeit money. In this FFXI context, gils behave more like hard drugs which gil buyers can't get enough of.

Some RMT are bot only spark and CP farmers. Some RMT just create characters to sell.

Other RMT have their own international drug cartels with craftbots, farmbots and endgame mercbots. These organizations move their goods and gils to which ever server is profitable.

The cartel RMTs not only counterfeit new gils through farmbotting, but also get some of the gils they farmed back from their gil buyers through craftbotting and mercbotting.

Some of these RMT even attempt to look legitimate by hiding within legitimate LSes.

The difference between RMT Mercs and topnotch LSes who continue to run endgame events, is that the RMT retain all their profits which become monetized in the real world. Topnotch LSes redistribute profits to all members who attend regular and extracurricular events.

RMT exist because too many players support them. Gil cannot buy the skill and knowledge of topnotch LSes who continue to crush all end game content and redistribute profits to their membership.

Counterfeit Epeen
Why do people buy gils in the first place? Established, topnotch LSes took time, teamwork, friendship and integrity to develop the skill and gear to get to where they are at. Buying gil just allows you to purchase some gear and clears, but does not fast track you to the years of experience which establshed, topnotch LSes have. Topnotch parsing is done to determine if membership is producing enough damage to get objectives done. Epeen damage is not as important as topnotch support. If you are buying gil to improve your epeen DD but neglect building a support team, well, sunshine you ain't getting very far in endgame.

Thusly, if your LS is learning how to crush endgame content, learn to network and befriend other LSes. Don't let RMT use your LS as a patsy to make money off of you and your members for free. It's really up to you, the player, to handle your drug addiction.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 05:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Botted gil isnt equivalent to counterfeit money. Unless you literally hack money into the game or otherwise duplicate it, it is legit currency. Duped medals are counterfeit equivalents. Botted gil is still legitimate gil earned through legitimate means within the game. RMT gil is still legitimate gil. A character spent the time doing whatever to get the items to sell to NPC to make the gil.

FFXI isnt a real economy. Trying to equate it to such just doesnt work, because money is designed to come from nothing.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 05:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

kreek said: »
If you think people are making multiple R15s, R25 +2 necks, HQ crafted everything, etc. from a distributed ls bank then I'd be interested how you're making literally billions upon billions to distribute. Only people selling 6+ slots for Dyna clears twice a week with 2-3 actual people are making any kind of money from mercing. Everyone else is making pocket change.

I bet you have ls members that have bought gil. It's far more widespread than you think.

You do realize you can make ~100m/week/char with just 12 hours of game time.... right?

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2020-06-05 05:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Botted gil is still legitimate gil earned through legitimate means within the game. RMT gil is still legitimate gil. A character spent the time doing whatever to get the items to sell to NPC to make the gil.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 05:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I was replying to mini acting like people are making big bank from ls distribution. Also 100m a week is f all, and assumes you can play any time of day and revolve your life around the game. If you do that manually then you have bigger issues than gil buyers.

Not defending gil buyers, just pointing out that the alternatives aren't better to get the kind of money you need to max out multiple jobs.

Oh, i agree that there is no way to make a good economy in the game, and it will always end up with people who have excess gil and those who physically do not have gil and cannot realistically make gil. Im all for saying "F it" to the economy in general and just letting it be.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 05:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Botted gil is still legitimate gil earned through legitimate means within the game. RMT gil is still legitimate gil. A character spent the time doing whatever to get the items to sell to NPC to make the gil.

You upset that what i said is true? As far as the game is concerned, there is nothing a bot can do that a player cant also do. Its still going around and killing mobs, getting the drops/currency.

And as far as trading said gil for real money... theres no difference between that and selling an item on the auction house. Gil wasnt created, just exchanged hands.

Counterfeit money is fake, and not legal tender. As far as the game is concerned, botted gil and gil traded via RMT are legal tender. It being traded for real money or killed by a character on a script dont change that.
By Mattelot 2020-06-05 05:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Minimuse said: »
Established, topnotch LSes took time, teamwork, friendship and integrity to develop the skill and gear to get to where they are at. Buying gil just allows you to purchase some gear and clears, but does not fast track you to the years of experience which establshed, topnotch LSes have.

I can't even count on both hands how many "top notch" LSs I've known who cheated or duped to get where they were. This isn't to say all of them do but when I see people who bot their remas and then shame people who buy gil, it's like watching the guy in the glass house throw stones.

You upset that what i said is true?

He's pointing out that what you said is the opposite of the truth and I think you know that too.

Cheating to get gil is legit? Bad troll bait.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 05:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »

As far as the game is concerned, its legit gil. There is no mechanical difference in the way currency is generated by having a script kill mobs and a player do the same thing. There is no difference between someone trading you 100m or you paying someone $10 for $100m. The currency generated is the same either way.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 05:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

there is nothing a bot can do that a player cant also do
How about farming 24 hours a day?

The game doesnt care how long something is being farmed.
By Mattelot 2020-06-05 06:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as the game is concerned, its legit gil. There is no mechanical difference in the way currency is generated by having a script kill mobs and a player do the same thing. There is no difference between someone trading you 100m or you paying someone $10 for $100m. The currency generated is the same either way.

I go into an online 1st person game with an autoaim hack I created. It shoots headshots with 100% accuracy FOR me. These are legit headshots because the game generated the bullets.

Thats how much sense that makes.

There are fine lines between obtaining something legit and cheating to do it. I only own 2 mythics. I manually did each jar and nyzul. I earned them. I didn't have something do it for me and then say "yeah, I earned that".

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 06:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I go into an online 1st person game with an autoaim hack I created. It shoots headshots with 100% accuracy FOR me. These are legit headshots because the game generated the bullets.

Thats how much sense that makes.

There are fine lines between obtaining something legit and cheating to do it. I only own 2 mythics. I manually did each jar and nyzul. I earned them. I didn't have something do it for me and then say "yeah, I earned that".

This isnt comparable to an auto aim hack. As far as how gil is actually created, botting or selling it for money doesnt change anything about how gil is created in the game at the fundamental level. There is no mechanical difference between the two.
By Mattelot 2020-06-05 06:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

This isnt comparable to an auto aim hack.

Sure it is! Third party program accomplishing my goal for me!

Your rationalizations are amusing.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-06-05 06:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

This isnt comparable to an auto aim hack.

Sure it is! Third party program accomplishing my goal for me!

Your rationalizations are amusing.

Its irrelevant that the program is doing something for you. The aim bot generates more kills than you could if you were playing and inflates your k/d. A farming bot doesnt somehow do anything you couldnt do while playing yourself. It doesnt generate anything extra. As far as the game is concerned, theres no difference between you sitting there at the keyboard and a script running around killing the same things just as fast or slower.

Anything a bot can do a player can do. If RMTs are generating gil, a player can generate the same gil.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 15 16 17