| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-02-27 09:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

3.5 mil gil for a kraken club? oh hell yeah sign me up for one!

i'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but 50 leapin lizzy boots and over 100 empy pins legit... you know he is probably BSing.

*edit* then again he is mentioning japanese version which could mean he lived in JP and therfor have had a tremendous delay advantage. yeah i don't know.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-02-27 09:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

kishr said: »
This post is pending moderation.
i kinda keep catching you write these anger charged weird posts lately. should we be worried?

*edit* i have the video running in the background and i hear stuff like "FFXI = naked dead ppl everywhere".
 Asura.Sirris
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-02-27 09:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems pretty typical, watching this. I mean, many people were addicted to this game back in the day. Most of us are too old for that now, right? I started day one NA PC launch, like a lot of people here probably did, and I still play, still enjoy playing, but it's only a part of what I do.
By Shichishito 2020-02-27 10:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

what FF game is he playing in the background? it is not the FF7 remake is it?
By ashcrow 2020-02-27 10:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

he is just over exaggerating on the drops, he just means he got a ***ton of them i suppose
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2020-02-27 10:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
what FF game is he playing in the background? it is not the FF7 remake is it?

Looks like Crisis Core to me. Playing as Zach – could be wrong
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-02-27 11:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

another addiction story
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Liuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Liuu
By Bahamut.Liuu 2020-02-27 12:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This speaks to me.

I played during the Rise of Zilart release in Japan and was part of an importers guild. I manually translated the POL menus and had printed Japanese phrases to help me communicate.

I played again when it was released in the US. Became completely addicted to it so much that it scared me. I remember making a deliberate decision to let my game time just come to an end and go cold turkey.

I then played when the EU release happened, same thing again. I actually still feel bad about it because I never said goodbye to my friends at that time, but I was scared I wouldn't be able to break away from it.

Years later I was part of the alpha/beta for FF14 1.0. It bombed but some of us from the beta forum decided to play FFXI together from scratch until FF14 2.0 arrived. It was honestly the best fun I've ever had playing online videogames. This time it wasn't my addiction that stopped me, it was Abyssea that ruined it (instant levelling.) But just setting up a party, each playing different roles depending on what was needed and going through the stories and expansions together. Was legit fun.

I miss it because FF14 doesn't do it for me. I've tried so many times to get into it but the questing format, iLvl's, Duty Finder, lack of server community etc. It's a shame.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Galiber
Server: Ragnarok
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2020-02-27 15:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure most of us have, or have had a FFXI addiction, let's be real. Our relationship with this game is far from healthy.

I honestly think It's been under control for this past couple of years, but I had a serious addiction back in the day before quitting (and that's what brought me to quitting).

I also do love the game, and it has given me some real life valuable lessons.
[+]
By cuddlyhamster 2020-02-27 16:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

My addiction to 11 is killing me in the slowest way possible. Rather than quick and fast with friends, drugs, alcohol, and women. It also keeps me safe from going outside and getting contaminated with that new zombie virus going around
[+]
By Draylo 2020-02-27 19:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ffxi is the best!
By Shichishito 2020-02-27 19:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
and it has given me some real life valuable lessons.
which ones?
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-27 20:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
and it has given me some real life valuable lessons.
which ones?

JP ONRY.
[+]
 Asura.Zart
user: zart
By Asura.Zart 2020-02-27 23:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I like max as a youtuber but he seems like he is spreading false information of what early FFXI was like.

level 60 cap (it was never 60 cap, unless you were in japanese beta maybe)

it claims that it would take hours for monsters to wander back to their homes in crawlers nest

I really think he has secret agendas that he is not being truthful about.
 Ragnarok.Kenshi
Server: Ragnarok
user: KenshiDRK
By Ragnarok.Kenshi 2020-02-27 23:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zart said: »
I like max as a youtuber but he seems like he is spreading false information of what early FFXI was like.

it claims that it would take hours for monsters to wander back to their homes in crawlers nest

There was even less, first cap was 50, https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/The_History_of_Final_Fantasy_XI/2002

I was in Zenmetsu with him, he was a japanese version importer.
https://www.ffxionline.com/forum/ffxi-game-related/extra-activities/journals-livecam-discussion/16106-maximillian-evolution-of-paladin
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-27 23:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You're lucky if you don't recall the wingrats/beetles/skeletons at the entrance to Garlaige Citadel.

Also, this:

[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2020-02-28 00:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

He surely means crawlers right? There's only like 20 beetles tops in CN, and they are different level ranges, some in the high 40s, others mid 50s, and others low 60s? All in different parts of the cave. Not to say a beetle train couldn't happen, but like, I only remember crawler trains.

He also says the Rare/ex thing happened to Boots/Hairpin 2 years into the game's life, but it was like 4.5 years into the game's life.

Something, shhhhh, no I'm not obsessing over ultimately pointless details.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2020-02-28 01:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya the beetles was an issue, but also just crawler trains to zone too. The Helm beetles where very high lv at the time and you could get one idiot generally that was looking for their AF that would train them to zone from basement or later on a bst that had some charm issues arise :D When he started the game was capped at AF leveles making the beetles max lv targets, making it worse.

Its been pointed out that I am always needing to have something to occupy my idle time at home. This is definantely a mind blower to know why now haha. On the plus side when not playing ffxi I really progress in life because of that, so much learning since no wasted time.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2020-02-28 02:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Only two games ever got me "addicted": Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast (v1/v2) and Final Fantasy XI (EU release to roughly 2014, I'd say).
So I understand why he felt the way he did.
Now, much like him, if it wasn't for PSO and then FFXI, my life would have been much different and most likely "much worse". Even now when I speak about these games to younger people, they're fascinated that video games were once like this.
I've had people send me PMs when I streamed randomly because they were surprised that this kind of game existed. Some of them were teenagers (past year), I was really surprised that such young people would be interested in such an old, niche game.

I really miss "leveling FFXI", it's something I'll never find again in any video game ever, I REALLY miss it.
Sometimes I'm tempted to try out a private server, hoping to find this feeling again. But I'm not even sure if it exists there.

Nowadays, the thing that makes me want to play FFXI is simply the incredibly chill feeling I get when I just work on RME trials. Pop some good music/movie, spam those WSs, take a trip down memory lane every time I think about a better camp (or not), run around, suddenly decide to go visit a certain area, see if a NM is up etc.
I never thought I'd find FFXI chill, I'm glad it "ended up" this way, though.
By Shichishito 2020-02-28 08:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Even now when I speak about these games to younger people, they're fascinated that video games were once like this.
I've had people send me PMs when I streamed randomly because they were surprised that this kind of game existed. Some of them were teenagers (past year), I was really surprised that such young people would be interested in such an old, niche game.
who'd have thought that FFXI would become our personal nam. "sometimes flashbacks still wake me covered in sweat, screaming. lifeless tarutaru kneecaps and depilated mithra tails spread across the entrance floor."

we even had our own green hell.
[+]
By Prong 2020-02-28 09:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude sounds like a Chewlies Gum rep.
 Lakshmi.Veika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Veikuri
By Lakshmi.Veika 2020-02-28 10:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like you didn't watch the video and probably started playing during the NA era. There were bugs early on where mobs would take forever to get back to camp.

edit: Not sure what you mean by the cap was never 60. It's commond knowledge that FFXI on release was a 50 cap game that increased by 5 levels until the current 99.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-02-28 10:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing took hours to get back to their homes. It took like 15-20 minutes depending on if they stopped along the way to pwn another group trying to level.
[+]
 Fenrir.Loynis
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Loynis 2020-02-28 11:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a story on that, from the olden day's of yore on Fenrir. Time was that a long train tore through the Crawlers' Nest, the beasties felled many adventurers and claimed many more that attempted to enter. The Gods did nothing, and so a fellowship was formed, and they went off to slay them all so that peace may return.

*Translation: Someone linked together about everything in the nest, brought it to the zoneline, and caused CN to shutdown for several hours, since people kept going in and retraining everything. I imagine some GM calls were made, but they didn't do anything. Eventually an alliance of 75s was formed and they went in to clean it up.
 Asura.Zulaern
user: Zulaern
By Asura.Zulaern 2020-02-28 13:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I was obsessed with this game in high school. I remember being at my grandma's house supposed to be visiting her and just looking up relic weapons on Allakhazam on her crappy dial up internet. I was convinced I was going to be a DRK and get a Ragnarok and Apocalypse. (Never played DRK to this day and never built either weapon, so RIP)

I'm sure I was borderline addicted, but I still had a girlfriend then (now wife), played sports, graduated with good grades, but definitely most of free time went to playing this game. I was late to school like 40+ times my senior year probably because I was tired from staying up late playing and I probably skipped another 20 or so (my mom was a nurse who worked 24 hour shifts so it was easy to just not go to school since I was already 18).

The only reason I stopped was when I went to college, the dorm I was in blocked most online games. I played on PS2 so I couldn't easily get around the firewall. I then switched to WoW because I could play on my laptop and use a VPN to play.