users online
Forum » FFXI » General » lenovo ideapad s145 w/ XI and triboxing
lenovo ideapad s145 w/ XI and triboxing
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-02-21 11:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Wondering if that model of laptop would run a tribox smoothly with maybe mid grade graphic settings?

At Walmart now, quick response would be appreciated lol, it's only $259, this would be a pure XI dedicated laptop, don't plan to do much else with it aside from maybe text editing.

While we are on the topic, what's the "must have" XI related types of apps to put on it?
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-02-21 12:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just using Intel graphics, so it may do alright with a DirectX proxy, but it'd be far from ideal.

If you're watching Wal Mart for deals, their new "store brand" one might be something to keep tabs on ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l32orFMzCIk ) which apparently has been sold for not much more than that (though it's $400 atm).
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2020-02-21 13:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

idk about you but i *NEED* the crafting clock from killingifrit forums idk how id make it day to day without it.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-02-21 14:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
It's just using Intel graphics, so it may do alright with a DirectX proxy, but it'd be far from ideal.

If you're watching Wal Mart for deals, their new "store brand" one might be something to keep tabs on ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l32orFMzCIk ) which apparently has been sold for not much more than that (though it's $400 atm).

I've heard of walmart and best buy, and some other box stores, claiming to be the exact same model as other places, but drastically cheaper, because they are using cheaper internal components.

A friend suggested a Lenovo 15.6 amd a9-9425, which is something that seems like a good buy, but I need 3 usb ports, and that only has 2 >.< unless, anyone knows of a way to make a logitech wireless controller and mouse use the same USB receiver?

And he just suggested using a docking station, which would aleviate the USB issue I suppose. lol.
 Asura.Elazar
Server: Asura
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2020-02-21 14:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I have always had problems getting the game to play unless it had amd graphics card or invidia on it, never displayed the characters, just the names, could just be me not being very computer savvy though
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-02-21 14:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
I've heard of walmart and best buy, and some other box stores, claiming to be the exact same model as other places, but drastically cheaper, because they are using cheaper internal components.

I can't recall anything like that exactly. What'd be more typical is seeing those retailers carry configurations or products that are tailored towards their customer base or sales events. For instance, Black Friday doorbuster products may be an even-lower-tier product that the company otherwise doesn't try to market. Still typically a unique SKU though.

Laptops they've offered have (far as I've seen) all been Tongfang models, with Wal Mart's pricing sometimes making them cheaper than what'd be almost literally the same hardware with a different sticker on it. Probably pretty poor support though.

USB ports would likely just be solved by getting a hub, sure. That said, I wouldn't buy a laptop for a dedicated FFXI machine unless you really need it to be portable.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-02-22 13:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Leviathan.Draugo said: »

I can't recall anything like that exactly. What'd be more typical is seeing those retailers carry configurations or products that are tailored towards their customer base or sales events. For instance, Black Friday doorbuster products may be an even-lower-tier product that the company otherwise doesn't try to market. Still typically a unique SKU though.

Laptops they've offered have (far as I've seen) all been Tongfang models, with Wal Mart's pricing sometimes making them cheaper than what'd be almost literally the same hardware with a different sticker on it. Probably pretty poor support though.

USB ports would likely just be solved by getting a hub, sure. That said, I wouldn't buy a laptop for a dedicated FFXI machine unless you really need it to be portable.

I do want it to be mobile, I use a long HDMI cord to play on my big screen in my living room, and I have the laptop next to my chair for dual monitor stuff. I wonder, I'll have to look, if that amd laptop has natural bluetooth, maybe I can find bluetooth versions of mouse and controller. I'll be set then. Wish there was a wireless version of my KB, g510 is teh ***for multi-box, 3x18 different macro keys that I can initiate command to my BG characters w/o using send.

its handy for doubleing up different abilities on different characters at the same time. Example = NIN uses utsu:ichi, BRD uses flash, GEO uses sleep (couldn't think of another spell better when /rdm to help get that ichi off) all with 1 button push (sometimes 2 if I need to change the macro palettes from M1-M3, a second example NIN uses HOJO w/ <stnpc>, BRD uses carnage elegy w/ a <bt>, and GEO does Dia II also a <bt>.

While send does exist, I cant think of a way to use 3 different sets of abilities on 3 different characters with 1 button press.
Also its nice because as I mention, you can initiate background commands, unlike function keys that only initiate on the focused instance. (function keys are good to for @all functions w/ send though, that's where my Warp-Ring-Ga and Holla-Ring-Ga keys are, F1 F2, working on getting super warps functioning, I'll keep it in safe mode, but F3 will become mhuara HP, f4 will become w/e the nearest warp/book/hp etc to get to ambuscade mobs for the month, and eventually I'll do f5 qufim, f6 mis coast, f7 changed to holla rings, and f8 will be the shortcut command to do escha entering. lol

Anywho kind of a side rant, TL:DR buy a g510 KB for multiboxing and start using it, very very handy.

I suppose you could do a script with 3 send @ different characters I suppose, but my way is cleaner for the way i am organized lol Aliasing the keys through GS makes it easier for me to compare side by side what character is doing what from each key (sometimes only 1 character will act, my utsu san and ni buttons for example)
and also aliasing them in each JOB lua means it auto changes my configuration based on which job I change to. HANDY.