2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Feature Request for large monitors
Feature Request for large monitors
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-12-27 00:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I have 3 monitors with the latest one being a 49" curved Samsung monitor.

I have two profiles. The original one is for Asus 24" monitor and has a resolution of 1650 x 1032. The second profile is for the Samsung 49" monitor with a resolution of 4992x1404.

I found should I use the Asus / original profile (at this time) Windower won't start successfully. It dies while loading the plugins and addons. I'm not sure which plugin / addon is killing stuff off, as I just didn't have time (right then).

I'm assuming the bug / failure is because I have plugins and addons addressing screen space well off the screen for the 1650 x 1032 profile.

This brings me to the request for a feature to fix this issue. My idea is to have plugins and addons also use the profile system.

What I'm saying is when a plugin or addon saves setting information, it should relate to the current profile. Thus should I use profile 1 (1650 x 1032), the addons and plugins would save, restore, use the screen locations / addressing related to a 1650 x 1032 monitor. Should I be using the second profile at 4992 x 1404, the addons and plugsin would use the settings related to the larger screen.

Based upon a comment, I'm updating / adding:

I envision there wouldn't be any changes to the plugins or addons themselves. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought developers are using an API to save their settings. Thus the change would be in the API save and restore code. I envision the filename of the saved settings going from: "setting.xml" to "profile_<profile name>_settings.xml" Depending up the profile name used, the restore or saving would be using the profile_<profile name>_setting.xml file.

I hope this is all clearer than mud and encourage all comments (positive and negative).

Thank you.

P.S. In case this is needed:

PC Specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64; Version 1909 (18363.535)
System Manufacturer: Dell
System Model: T7910
BIOS: Dell A32, 09/24/2019 - UEFI
Processors:
Number of: 2
Manufacturer: Intel
Model: Xeon E5-2667
Cores: 8 individually; 16 total; 32 logical processors.
Speed: 3.2Ghz base; 3.6Ghz turbo.
Memory:
Total Physical Memory: 128GB
Total Virtual Memory: 147GB
Page File Space: 19GB
Video:
Number of graphics cards: 1
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Model: GeForce GTX 1080
DirectX Version: 12
Monitor:
Number of: 3

Manufacturer: Asus
Model: PA248Q
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Size: 24"
Connection: Display Port

Manufacturer: Samsung
Model: LC49RG90SSNXZA
Resolution: 5120 x 1440
Size 49"
Connection: Display Port

Manufacturer: Sony
Model: KDL-32EX720
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Size: 32"
Connection: HDMI

If you need more information on the system, please, let me know.

Again, thank you.
[+]
By Felgarr 2019-12-27 03:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Use a different (new/empty) startup script for the ASUS monitor's profile, and if it loads, you'll know the crash issue is caused by one of the previous attempt's plugins/addons that was being loaded.

If that doesn't work, check that POL.EXE isn't configured to do some "scaling" based on the display resolution, instead of say, the application-controlled setting. To do this, it's really easy:

click pol.exe > properties > compatibility tab > change high dpi settings > override high dpi scaling behavior scaling performed by: application

Regarding your suggestion, it would require significant rewrites to expand of the scope of plugin/addons' configurable parameters (which can be 0 or many) to the level of a profile. This will undoubtedly cause collisions and no one will ever maintain, support or take care of the resulting toilet, that massive collection of configurable parameters will become. (I have lots of experience with configuration management and release engineering. This is just no bueno).
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-12-29 19:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

By startup script do you mean the init.txt file? or what?

The High DPI scaling override seems to allow the plugins and addons to load. Thanks! :) Of course, the locations of stuff isn't visible in the smaller resolution, but it runs. Still would be nice to have the visible output of the addons / plugins visible regardless of profile resolution.

On the suggestion, I wasn't thinking it would require changes to the plugins or addons themselves. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought developers are using an API to save their settings. Thus the change would be in the API save and restore code. I envision the filename of the saved settings going from: "setting.xml" to "profile_<profile name>_settings.xml" Depending up the profile name used, the restore or saving would be using the profile_<profile name>_setting.xml file.

Thanks for the reply! :)
By Felgarr 2019-12-29 19:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Startup script is the file scripts/autoload/autoload.txt

It's the addons/plugins you load when your character logs in. Verify that none of those are causing your crashes between the two different resolution profiles.
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-12-30 03:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, OK. I knew about the autoload.txt file, but thought one couldn't modify it because of the warning in the file:

Quote:
// !!! DO NOT EDIT !!!
// ==========================================================================
// This file is automatically generated. Any changes made to this file will
// be overwritten the next time Windower is run.
//
// Please use the Windower plugin manager to edit your plugin autoload
// settings, and place any other initialization in scripts/init.txt.
// ==========================================================================
// !!! DO NOT EDIT !!!

This is why I mentioned init.txt.

From my experience, I'm finding the autoload.txt runs when starting FFXI (e.g. moving from POL to FFXI).
By Felgarr 2019-12-30 04:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My memory is not so good, but basically, you want to load as few addons/plugins as possible for each profile, until you find out which addon/plugin is causing the crash for each windower profile.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-30 15:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

1. those resolutions sound horrible.

2. to address the issue you'd want to use plugin manager and have each character that would be on a screen with the specific settings in their config.xml files (most addons/plugins worth a salt have settings per character. If that doesn't work for you then you may need to keep multiple copies of Windower around, with the settings configured for each one different.

Also you may want to dabble in wincontrol.
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-12-31 21:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

Thank you for these 2 ideas to allow for multiple monitor support.

IB Halliwell