New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » The Witcher on Netflix
The Witcher on Netflix
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By SimonSes 2019-12-20 06:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Must watch imo. Not sure how good it will be for someone who isn't a fan, but for people like me, who was raised on The Witcher books saga it's probably the best early Christmas gift I have ever gotten. I cried 2 times watching first 3 episodes and I need a break. Too much emotions. Henry is great as Geralt and Anya doesn't play Yennefer, she is Yennefer. I hope audience score will be super high, so the show can get green light for next season.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-20 07:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm an old school Witcher fan, but I'm gonna wait and see what they do with it. The last thing I need is to have my experience ruined by some SJW LGBTWTFBBQO propaganda shoved down my throat. Geralt was naturally a super masculine character almost in a mad-max kind of way.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-12-20 08:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont think you should be worried about it. Im from Poland so I was reading that much earlier than most people around the world and Im a fan for a long long time. I found nothing offensive in the show. I dont mind Yennefer not being pale white or Triss looking slightly different or even black actors playing elves. None of that matter really, because everyone play amazing. Especially Anya as Yennefer, but Henry as Geralt and Freya Allan as Ciri too. First sword fight is the best sword fight I have ever seen. I was not prepared for such dynamic. It blown me away.

Dont look at some reviews too. Like Entertainment Weekly is the biggest joke I have ever seen. 2 critics wrote their review and they said in the review the had 0 knowledge of books and game and no udnderstanding to this genre and one of them watched 3 episodes not in order and other watched one episode. They also gave 0/100 score for it in metacritic. Seriously how such trolling is allowed in serious critic world is beyond me. I guess they only care to be controversial now and nothing else matter.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By kishr 2019-12-20 08:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
The last thing I need is to have my experience ruined by some SJW LGBTWTFBBQO propaganda shoved down my throat.

*cough* mandalorian......
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-12-20 09:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol you are such infused with *** you read in some article. Its not even funny.

kireek said: »
a) it's based on the books, not the game (and this means they can't use too much from the game or they will get sued) and the game is where the fanbase is.

Who says so? The Witcher books have millions of fans too. CD Project are a fan of books and show too and they wont sue anyone for making even strong fan delivery for game fans too (and there is fan delivery, like very popular bathtub scene). The story in books is amazing. I really have no idea why you think fans of the game are different people than fans on the books (or wouldnt like books if they would read it).

b) Geralt being played by Henry Cavil is silly, he is way too big and bulky. He does a decent job of it since he is a good actor but they really should of case someone else.

Nothing silly here. Almost everyone who watched show so far are praising Cavil for this role. You watched one episodes skipping forward. Great...

c) The writers are hardcore feminists, and you can tell with the story and the dialogue. It's soaked in hardcore feminism to a blatant level when the Witcher should be quite the opposite.

You clearly know nothing about books. Author is VERY far from feminist and still books story is not about Geralt. Its about Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri and TV show pictures that perfectly with screen time and everything else.

Audience score is very positive so far btw.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-12-20 09:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's boring, it's feminist propoganda to a obnoxious level and it shoves it in your face constantly, also it puts Geralt into the background in his own show. The 2nd episode is hilariously awful to a much higher level than the first episode, geralt is barely even in it.

Shame. Was excited to have a new show to watch, but probably should've expected it with netflix being how they are.

Tempted to cancel my subscription and go back to pirating everything just because funding their left wing propaganda machine feels wrong.

kishr said: »
*cough* mandalorian......
Example?
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-12-20 09:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Starting to feel ashamed being a woman on these forums...
Ill watch and try to enjoy with an open mindset after work.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2019-12-20 10:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Shame. Was excited to have a new show to watch, but probably should've expected it with netflix being how they are.

I tho you are inteligent person Thorny, but when you get convinced by one person who has no idea about books I start to doubt about your logical mindset. This guy clealry doesnt understand that The Witcher books is about 3 main characters not only Geralt and its adapted exactly like this in the show. It uas nothing to do with feminism. I dont know what he expected. Probably Geralt walking from town to town taking quest for new monster in each episode lol. Once again The Witcher saga is about 3 main chars Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri and their connection. How destiny put them together and throw them apart. How they feel like real family while still staying badass in brutal world in center or war and finally how powerful magic is connected with Ciri and her bloodline. This is whats gonna be adapted in tv show.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-20 10:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vienner said: »
Starting to feel ashamed being a woman on these forums...

*Points to the door*

Feel free to vacate if you feel your cisgender wymin power isn't being recognized.

Everyone is entitled to their own feelings and opinions, that includes people you disagree with.

It's boring, it's feminist propoganda to a obnoxious level and it shoves it in your face constantly, also it puts Geralt into the background in his own show. The 2nd episode is hilariously awful to a much higher level than the first episode, geralt is barely even in it.

I'll probably give it three episodes to sell me on being authentic. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 63% critic but over 80% audience, that's usually the indicator of a movie / show that doesn't follow the SJW feminist ideology.

The Expanse season 4 is out and I've been loving it. Favorite part is there is no "magic" technology that's used to hand waive everything. The closest thing is the Proto-molecule, but that's biotech from a long extinct K3 civilization and we'd expect that level to be magic-like in appearance anyway.
[+]
By Aerison 2019-12-20 10:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandalorian is pretty good, there have been a few weaker episodes but it's decent enough overall. Biggest complaint is the episodes are pretty short, it's better to just binge watch at the end.

He dialogs too much now. First few were great in that he didn't say much but you could still figure out his intentions. It's suppose to be a western-esque, but it's not gritty enough and the guy is a regualr chatty cathy...I had high hopes from the first few episodes, but now who knows.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-12-20 11:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
I tho you are inteligent person Thorny, but when you get convinced by one person who has no idea about books I start to doubt about your logical mindset.

I didn't say I wouldn't watch it or give it a chance, my gf was quite excited for it and we generally watch one episode of TV together every night, so I'll be sitting through it regardless.

I know nothing about the Witcher, having neither played the games nor read the books, so I am not going into it with any prejudices regarding character behavior.

That said, it is not the word of one person, but the word of one person combined with the track record of the company producing it. Netflix forced some of the most painful feminist centric dialogue into almost all of their recent shows. It feels forced and out of place, and cheapens the immersion for me.
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-12-20 12:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Koala-chan so angry, lol

Here's some more eucalyptus to calm you down.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-20 12:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Rotten tomatoes has started messing with scores lately I think, it makes little sense.

That's why I'm only giving it a few episodes.
 Shiva.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-12-20 13:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the issue was that they retconned Yennefer’s back story. Along with making Ciri and Yennefer more prominent in the story than they actually were in Last Wish and Sword of Destiny.

But hey it’s still The Witcher and it’s not bad, not what some fans wanted or expected but it is what it is.
By SimonSes 2019-12-20 15:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Zerowone said: »
I thought the issue was that they retconned Yennefer’s back story. Along with making Ciri and Yennefer more prominent in the story than they actually were in Last Wish and Sword of Destiny.

Oh not exactly. Yennefer and Ciri were super important in those books too but indeed they lacked Yennfer's back story. She just kinda appeard in Geralts and Ciri lifes. What works in the book wont always work in tv show tho, so adding some back story based on info from all books is imo perfectly justified.
By SimonSes 2019-12-20 15:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Zerowone said: »

Oh not exactly. Yennefer and Ciri were super important in those books too but indeed they lacked Yennfer's back story. She just kinda appeard in Geralts and Ciri lifes. What works in the book wont always work in tv show tho, so adding some back story based on info from all books is imo perfectly justified.

Rotten tomatoes has started messing with scores lately I think, it makes little sense.

Star wars the rise of skywalker as an example.

This means exactly nothing bad. People just liked the movie. I like it a lot. It was a fan service movie with great pictures and intense action. Fanbase is divided and some people like it and some dont but there is also huge amount of regular people like my wife who barely remember what happened in previous movies and just went to see some good loking action movie. My wife said it was the first Star Wars that she was interested in till the end and she easnt faling asleep. So its very possible that this very big group of people who had no expectation to that film and dont really care that much about SW were satisfied with what they got.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-12-20 15:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Tempted to cancel my subscription and go back to pirating everything just because funding their left wing propaganda machine feels wrong.
Did that a few months ago.
I liked some Netflix stuff here and there but ever since this stuff reached the French store it's been really awful.

Between the garbage forced social battles and the very much controversial French comedians overflowing the scene these days, Netflix has had a really garbage catalog for quite some time.

I was glad to at least have some Dave Chappelle but I'd expect them to take them down sooner or later.

People just liked the movie. I like it a lot. It was a fan service movie with great pictures and intense action.

Are you my coworker?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-12-20 19:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Got a chance to sit down and watch the first two episodes after work. Not seeing this “feminist propaganda”. Hints of misogyny if we interpret the disdain for the magically talented who happen to be female, due to being female and not because they’re gifted. Just not seeing this “propaganda” in the 2 introductory episodes.
By kishr 2019-12-20 22:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

*** rotten tomatoes. And *** their raters.
Their experience is suppose to impact and judge how my thought of how the movie should be be considered?
Nah *** that and *** them.
Got tickets and going 8 hours from now to see it.
*** your comment and *** rotten tomato.
[+]
By Butcherb0y 2019-12-20 23:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Just like anything in life. You let's score control you, then you as a person can be control easily.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-12-21 02:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This far im halfway episode two and this far I like it. Most storylines are directly brought back to the wild hunt and on how he met dandylion is literally from one of the books.
I like how they are filling the story with Yennefer and Ciri's past.

Now I do think (my husband agrees since he hasnt played the games nor read the book) if you dont have a background with the witcher lore it might get difficult to follow.

I was looking for leftwing feminism but didnt find it... maybe Sapkowski was a leftwing feminist.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6