Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-11-26 09:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Genosync said: »
Really not that hard people.
Sure it is. I mean, if you don't/can't understand that this thread was created for the sole reason for creating drama/discord, then it is that hard.
[+]
 Asura.Airoh
user: Anjou
By Asura.Airoh 2019-11-26 10:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

With trusts? I'd put DRK in the running. Head over to DRK forums and see Kin/Gin have been soloed, HTB on D/VD, Geas Feate, etc. And whats great about this is really, really fast kills.

5k-10k hp(depending on MB and gear), dread spikes, catastrophe, very high damage, etc makes Drk pretty great for solo
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-11-26 10:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbh Drk doesn't have the same kill speed as a BLU for the majority of content. The stuff where it matters how fast you kill it aka Yakshi, DRK wins with Soul Enslavement.

DRK is good, don't get me wrong, but BLU is just better at it.
 Shiva.Humpo
Server: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2019-11-26 10:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »
Tbh Drk doesn't have the same kill speed as a BLU for the majority of content. The stuff where it matters how fast you kill it aka Yakshi, DRK wins with Soul Enslavement.

DRK is good, don't get me wrong, but BLU is just better at it.

DRK has always felt more like a glass cannon when compared to BLU. In raw numbers solo, I'm sure DRK can push the numbers down faster on a single target. However, multi-target and longer sustained fights is where I usually have trouble.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-11-26 10:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Without 1 hours, I can't see a DRK beating BLU for kill speed on the majority of content imo. DRK has to rely on buffs from trusts, which we all know take forever if they sometimes do random stuff.

By that time, Blu has already done a lot of damage due to prebuffing before the pop.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2019-11-26 11:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

All DRK really needs for kill speed from trusts are Haste II, Dia III, and Sylvie bubbles. Arciela II always does Haste II on the player as her first action (if she's in light mode, which she starts out in when summoned), and King of Hearts always does Dia III as his first action. Sylvie takes a few seconds to get both bubbles up, but BLU can't replicate that with prebuffing anyway.

DRK also has decent TP control even without SP, due to using two-handed weapons, Dagon and Niqmaddu giving SBII and Last Resort giving 15 SB, and Absorb-TP. It's not on the level of Monk, but it can be useful. I've got a SB +64 set which is quite nice on some enemies.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2019-11-26 11:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

whinja is pretty good as long as you have the 2 pirate clubs and have someone merc Shen for your shiny Rev Mail
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-11-26 11:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

All you need from trusts is haste 2, which Arciela casts as first spell on pull. Blu solo wont cap attack on majority of stuff. Also if you are talking about such details then you can argue that prebuffing takes time too, you could start the fight faster with DRK and you already did a lot of damage before BLU even engage. The most problematic thing about DRK solo is that you need volte set from windurst for fights were meva is the key to victory or smooth kill.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-11-26 11:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
All DRK really needs for kill speed from trusts are Haste II, Dia III, and Sylvie bubbles. Arciela II always does Haste II on the player as her first action (if she's in light mode, which she starts out in when summoned), and King of Hearts always does Dia III as his first action. Sylvie takes a few seconds to get both bubbles up, but BLU can't replicate that with prebuffing anyway.

DRK also has decent TP control even without SP, due to using two-handed weapons, Dagon and Niqmaddu giving SBII and Last Resort giving 15 SB, and Absorb-TP. It's not on the level of Monk, but it can be useful. I've got a SB +64 set which is quite nice on some enemies.

I get what you are saying, but honestly, I've not used Arciela II much and Not shitting you, I've waited over 4 minutes before from King of Hearts for a Haste 2 before just because he wanted to dia, erase, cure before haste. That really pissed me off and is the main reason I only use KoH when I am able to prebuff beforehand.
 Ragnarok.Ozment
Server: Ragnarok
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2019-11-26 11:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU & BST are both good, BLU beating BST IMO. I was able to solo most stuff, all the missions including that smoke monster, whatever it is called.

The one thing I can't seem to solo though are the Apex Ironclads on Outer Ra'Kaznar.
By SimonSes 2019-11-26 12:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »

I get what you are saying, but honestly, I've not used Arciela II much and Not shitting you, I've waited over 4 minutes before from King of Hearts for a Haste 2 before just because he wanted to dia, erase, cure before haste. That really pissed me off and is the main reason I only use KoH when I am able to prebuff beforehand.

In most content that you want to solo, you can prebuff with trust too. Just pull a mob and turn around and KoH will haste 2 you after 30 sec, then kill and then start your solo. you want to do it for prot and shell from WHM trust anyway.
By Afania 2019-11-26 12:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
We haven’t established what “solo” is to be understood as. Trusts or no trusts? I know in modern ffxi we generally mean the former but there are solo fights without trusts that are more impressive than ones with trusts.

No trust solo only look "impressive" because of job mechanics. Certain jobs can self heal, send pets, or dot kite things to death. Of course they can kill things better without trusts than jobs that can't do the same.

The toughest part of any tougher solo is to come up with a working strategy to counter NM mechanics with minimal resources. Once you come up with a working strategy it's just the matter of execution, which usually isn't as hard.

DoT kiting a very high lv NM to death isn't necessarily more impressive than trust solo the same NM on a different job that can't kite. However, whoever come up with the idea to DoT it, figure out where to kite, deserves credit.

So Yeah, I don't quite understand why people care about trust or no trust for such a long time. To me the most impressive solo has always been those who come up with a new strategy to counter NM mechanics, not necessarily no trust solo with dawn mulsum spam/dot kite.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-11-26 12:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
In most content that you want to solo, you can prebuff with trust too. Just pull a mob and turn around and KoH will haste 2 you after 30 sec, then kill and then start your solo. you want to do it for prot and shell from WHM trust anyway.

I do this now for most/all Eschan NMs, but before KoH pissed me off, I used to use Koru in stuff like Omen and Koru would die extremely fast, almost making the trust slot useless so that's why I used KoH.

I've never tried Arciela II outside of a few random things, but nothing majorly hard so I didn't know she was reliable for haste which is good to know.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-11-26 12:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
To me the most impressive solo has always been those who come up with a new strategy to counter NM mechanics, not necessarily no trust solo with dawn mulsum spam/dot kite.

This 100%
Most people don't understand how I wipe to an NM over 10-20+ times.
For my first ever Vir'ava solo on RUN I tried copying everyone else's strat of sleeping adds, feeding black ones. Not once did that strat work.
I eventually learned to abuse RUN's Tactical Parry and abuse adds and get my TP feed that way.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By oyama 2019-11-26 14:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
it's upper limits far exceed what BLU can probably do under normal circumstances.

Idk, R15 Tizona is a monster both for damage and mp and it's fairly trivial to get a decent complement of DD traits with lots of points and slots left over. With gear these days, BLU can reliably land most of its debuffs and pretty seriously cripple a mob, and Malignance gear gives it a fantastic hybrid set. With some research on a mob beforehand, I'm sure BLU could tackle any higher level content RDM could.

Also I can't speak for BLU being "shouted for" but in an endgame LS, BLU is very useful in both Omen and Dyna D, and is sought after. It's in a pretty good spot right now.
By Draylo 2019-11-26 14:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is, most of them are just looking at youtube videos to gauge a jobs potential. I used to do solo's but I stopped because I lost interest in it, but that shouldn't be the only way to gauge a jobs ability to solo something. BLU can definitely solo high end content with the right setup. The difference between it and RDM isn't huge.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-11-26 14:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Can you sleep adds on Vir'ava with Shockwave?

You can but getting them away and having sleep land on all of them at once while having time to wake the black ones up and have Vir'ava actually eat them takes ages, sometimes it's instantly sometimes it's not and takes well over a minute and by then you have to re-sleep.

So i found it better to supertank all adds in front of me and funnel them and gain 80 tp every time i parry. And during Last Resort and Battuta you can kill Vir'ava in 2 minutes if she doesn't eat her adds.

Charm rarely ever lands from Vir'ava. No worry of that. If it happens from Frontal Fadel you can recover if you get charmed, but Beautiful Death means you die and wipe ofc.
By Afania 2019-11-26 20:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
To me the most impressive solo has always been those who come up with a new strategy to counter NM mechanics, not necessarily no trust solo with dawn mulsum spam/dot kite.

This 100%
Most people don't understand how I wipe to an NM over 10-20+ times.
For my first ever Vir'ava solo on RUN I tried copying everyone else's strat of sleeping adds, feeding black ones. Not once did that strat work.
I eventually learned to abuse RUN's Tactical Parry and abuse adds and get my TP feed that way.

Same, I've done some harder solo on cor back then and the toughest part has always been trying to figure out "how" to do it.

Most of the time, whatever solo strategy that works on BLU, SCH, BST, PUP, RDM solos flat out won't work on COR. We can't heal, nor dot kite, nor dawn mulsum spam.

Most of the time the toughest part was to figure out what roll to use, shooting or melee, which SJ is the best choice, should we use niche sets like enmity- for htbc? Or should we use a capped SB set for NM with horrible TP move? It's tons and tons of theorycraft and experiment.

However, once I figure them out and share the strategy with friends most of them can repeat the entire process and win easily. Same can be said for jobs like BST SCH etc. Most people can do the same once they watch the video and have the job well geared.

I guess this kind of struggle can only be understood by people ever attempt them for the sake of challenge, lol. One random video of SCH no trust solo that just put on dot and run like a chicken looks more "impressive" than another job solo with trusts after experimenting and failing 20 times.

But hey, no salt. I know we all choose to solo on silly jobs because we love them. :P And I'm still gonna say that cor is a good solo job with trusts. :D