New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New/returning players and current FFXI
New/returning players and current FFXI
By Afania 2019-11-24 15:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
I think you guys need to stop looking at things from your perspective when you are talking about what's needed or not needed for what content.

First of all, when you take away REMA from your BIS equipped chars to prove a point that you can make some content without REMA, then you are doing it wrong. Like DirectX noticed in his first comment, getting some bis gear is harder or more time consuming than getting REMA. So while REMA is nto required for many content, overall good gear is. You can have REMA and nq gear and be by far worse than someone with bis gear and without REMA.

So going back to my initial thought. REMA might be a part of what is required to clear a content (obviously not for jobs with REMA not even being bis for them), but might be not. If you need to have some accuracy or DPS levels not to time out, then it doesn't matter how you gonna achieve it. You can mix REMA with half hq gear, you can mix non rema with hq gear etc.

On top of that returning players aren't usually that good at game like people with muscle memory and experience playing this game for past few years. So sometimes new/returning players without REMA actually can't clear some content, but it's wrongly connected to REMA itself, the true reason is lack of other gear beside REMA and having rusty skill.

You still can let them leech to get better if you can carry them tho!

I believe we are all very well aware that people shout for rema because FFXI doesn't have gear score like other mmo. So pt lead needs to implement some kind of system to ensure member meets dps check.

So it's faster to shout "REMA DD" than "DD with XYZ set using gears from Z content"

That doesn't mean I agree that shouting for rema is the best solution. I almost never put "rema" in my shout ever.
IMO the best solution is to build pt base on reputation. You know, playing FFXI like MMO like Asurans favorite. Talk to people, pt with them more than a couple of times to "get" how they perform. When pt doesn't work sit down and discuss a good solution rather than complaining....Etc.

If more people do all these above then rema only mentality would finally go away.
By SimonSes 2019-11-24 18:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree Afania but this works only for small servers or people who play a lot or have established reputation/friendlist. It also kinda make you closed on new/returning players, because as soon as you get to know with several active players, you will more likely keep trying doing stuff with them instead of shouting for strangers.
By Prong 2019-11-24 19:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

From the standpoint of a person who in the past helped many, many....many return players (on my old server, Valefor, our LS leader was one of the first to stock the concierge dude when it came out.....)I can tell you the one and best thing you can do as a returning player to get in a group or at least make a few buddies who will help you; don't ***' bounce two weeks after you come back.

Nothing worse than helping people over and over and over and over....and really not expecting anything in return, to only have them disappear again in a few weeks or even a couple months. And if you DO have a tendency to let your sub run out often or only log in for free weeks, don't beg for help, don't lot crap in Dyna that others want and just play by yourself until you've decided you really want to come back. Once you decide to actually stick around for awhile, the rest, including REMA, is pretty easy to get.
[+]
By Draylo 2019-11-24 19:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

That has been happening since forever, one of the many reasons I just stopped helping and keep to myself. It's incredibly selfish of those people but they don't care, can only assume they think online people are NPC's.
[+]
By Josiahafk 2019-11-24 20:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Between Ambuscade Weapons and Su4/5 Weapons, why would anyone make a Relic or other REMA that is NOT BiS?

lockstyle!
To be able to say “I have the only one on the server” and level up your snowflake skill 0.2 points
 Asura.Sirris
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-11-24 22:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind helping people and them quitting or ghosting. MMO culture is so different now than it was 17 years ago. I'd say about 25-30% of returners and recruits end up sticking around long term? The thing is, it doesn't cost us a lot to give people drops in today's FFXI. It's whatever, even with having a lot of turnover I've been able to build up a great group of people to play with several times a week. Over the last two years I've probably gotten free aeonics for a couple dozen newer players and it's still rewarding for me.
By SimonSes 2019-11-25 03:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahafk said: »
volkom said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Between Ambuscade Weapons and Su4/5 Weapons, why would anyone make a Relic or other REMA that is NOT BiS?

lockstyle!
To be able to say “I have the only one on the server” and level up your snowflake skill 0.2 points

There can be many valid reasons actually, like for example you only care for few jobs and
1. Already have bis damage weapons for them, so you are getting non bis relics, because you want versatile playstyle or to use other WSs from time to time for fun
2. You already have bis damage weapons for them and want to secure yourself in case of changes to REMA in future updates.
3. You want to have more skillchain options (for example Scourge is only Fusion WS for Great Sword, Geirskogul only Distortion for polearm etc.)
By Draylo 2019-11-25 03:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Or probably the most likely: Auction House points!
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2019-11-25 03:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i came back last month after 2 years off and i prob will be going away again cause cant get into anything unless you have like a 2nd and 3rd bot with you paying almost 20$ a month for this < in canadian money i only pay about 13$ for ffxiv ffxi just gives me no reason to keep playing 90% player base are people just running 4 alts and charging you to do any content and its just not fun anymore to farm for gil to buy items that will never be used for anything other then sitting in town afk
By SimonSes 2019-11-25 03:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Or probably the most likely: Auction House points!

I tho that stopped to be relevant like 10 years ago when REMA become something common. Guess maybe I'm ignorant XD
By Draylo 2019-11-25 04:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It was never relevant, but some people go to great lengths to get that score up trust me.

Quote:
i came back last month after 2 years off and i prob will be going away again cause cant get into anything unless you have like a 2nd and 3rd bot with you paying almost 20$ a month for this < in canadian money i only pay about 13$ for ffxiv ffxi just gives me no reason to keep playing 90% player base are people just running 4 alts and charging you to do any content and its just not fun anymore to farm for gil to buy items that will never be used for anything other then sitting in town afk

Yeah it is sad when everything is multi-boxed these days. I made that claim earlier this year and I think ladyofhonor or someone said "the vast majority don't multi-box" which I found to be hilariously wrong. I would say a good 70% of current players have at least one mule they multi-box. SE brought so many upgrades that are gil purchased from botted/exploited shields, then they have events where you gain exponentially per character and it made it worse than when Abyssea was in full swing. I have lost count the amount of people I see with 5 characters trailing them, its like Final Fantasy 8 when your team runs behind you.

Sadly it takes a much longer time to progress if you only have one character. Can base that on the lower population and decline in linkshells and the overall attitude of the current player where they are very focused on only themselves. Right now the name of the game is collect them all and sit in town. I wish SE would add some cool group oriented events like a new Delve or something to rekindle group interest. Anything can be botted or multi-boxed, but when content gets stale people don't wanna help others, especially those that might quit.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Minimuse
Server: Bahamut
user: grumpette
By Bahamut.Minimuse 2019-11-25 04:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind helping people, whatever their level is. I prefer helping to progress people to my level rather than carrying them to my level. New and returning players need to learn specific skills and how different gear sets work together in various situations. They need to learn team work and how jobs work together. Good team work creates a gestalt effect with your team so you can progress to harder content or go from Ambu V1 E to Ambu V1 VD.

You don't need fancy tools (game cheats) to beat the hardest content or every piece of BiS gear or REMA, but you do need multiple gear sets and knowledge of game mechanics.

Carrying new people all the time is a big disservice to them. You create low skill players who will get easily frustrated when they can't carry their own weight in difficult content. These people don't stick around long term. Why should they? Instant gratification is easy.

Gear progression is slow, but rewarding. Once you hit your long term goal, you move to a new long term goals. Why? Because you will have acquired more than just gear progression. You would have acquired lasting game friendships that go beyond the game itself.

Becoming reliant on fancy tools can lead to TGM (toxic god mentality). If you continue to progress under the belief that you can do no wrong by breaking game mechanics whenever you want, what good are you when you let your team down down by getting banned? What have you taught them when they struggle to function as a team without you?
[+]