New/returning players and current FFXI
First Page 2
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-11-13 06:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So after reading Reddit posts a lot, shouts on server and a general opinion of quite a few players I decided to create this post.

You do not need REMA for a DD job or a tank, or even a mage job for most content.

I see a bunch of people saying "Don't play COR unless you get R15 DP".... Like shut tf up.... If people beat Sealed Fate with non-DP COR before Relic +2/3 came out, I can pretty much guarantee you can beat all content without an R15 DP. Stop sucking.

Same thing with my favourite job, Rune Fencer. Telling people you NEED Epeolatry to tank end-game is the biggest lie I've heard since Cheg said he was the Pugking. Just stop doing it. Aettir is fine for literally all content. If you need help on how to, feel free to ask.

Let a new or returning player have some fun on a melee job if they please. If you are short on time and don't want to help a newer player learn the current jobs, then I guess that's fine, just don't shout for 5 hours for an R15 DD for CP parties.

The only REMA I'd say is "Required" is Aegis for PLD, because lolPLD M.eva.
There's no need to alienate people because they have no shiny weapons or the time to get them, Eliteism is pointless.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By ashcrow 2019-11-13 07:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »
So after reading Reddit posts a lot, shouts on server and a general opinion of quite a few players I decided to create this post.

You do not need REMA for a DD job or a tank, or even a mage job for most content.

I see a bunch of people saying "Don't play COR unless you get R15 DP".... Like shut tf up.... If people beat Sealed Fate with non-DP COR before Relic +2/3 came out, I can pretty much guarantee you can beat all content without an R15 DP. Stop sucking.

Same thing with my favourite job, Rune Fencer. Telling people you NEED Epeolatry to tank end-game is the biggest lie I've heard since Cheg said he was the Pugking. Just stop doing it. Aettir is fine for literally all content. If you need help on how to, feel free to ask.

Let a new or returning player have some fun on a melee job if they please. If you are short on time and don't want to help a newer player learn the current jobs, then I guess that's fine, just don't shout for 5 hours for an R15 DD for CP parties.

The only REMA I'd say is "Required" is Aegis for PLD, because lolPLD M.eva.
There's no need to alienate people because they have no shiny weapons or the time to get them, Eliteism is pointless.

you need a REMA to do anything outside of normal Ambuscade, unless your a mage stop lying, if thats the case why arent u and 100 others carrying returners giving them Dyna Divergence wave 3 clears? its simple this game killed itself with power creep and Packet manipulation.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-11-13 07:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think you NEED rema to beat ambu D-VD you suck as a player. Sure it'll take a long time, but it ain't needed. The purpose of this game is progression anyway, you won't take on D-VD ambu without good gear anyway so rema serves little purpose.

And yes I do help people. I just don't brag about helping people. I quit mercing over a year ago just to give people free clears for gear.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-13 08:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't listen to damn near any of these players telling you that you need REMAs for XYZ jobs. Half of them cheated/botted their way to most of their gear. You have people who buy massive amounts of gil (2x Su5, full relic+3, orph sash etc) but haven't the talent to solo an Apex Crab in under 60 seconds. I don't want to hear a lick of crap about needing a REMA for anything when the large majority of players with it are near average at best.

Rant over.
But seriously, it's been stated so many times that it's old and tired at this point: There is nothing in FFXI where you would require a REMA, but having one makes life significantly easier in many respects. While it may be an indication that the player is more equipped for the event, it's not necessarily the case. You shouldn't use REMA weapons as a barometer for any type of player skill. It's a contribution to the group, but not that important most of the time.

If you're going to make a case for the best REMAs, I would class these as the ones that are probably the most game-changing: Idris, Epeolatry, Yagrush specifically. No, the 4th song on Daurdabla isn't THAT impressive (you can CC and maintain it if you're a goodBRD). There's a few fights in the game where having something like a Yagrush comes in handy CONSIDERABLY vs not having one (HTBF VD Alex for example is aids without Yagrush). Not having one of those weapons just makes it a little more challenging, but won't really make the fight "easier" if you do have one. But the whole idea that it's required/needed is comical.
[+]
By Mattelot 2019-11-13 09:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

From what people I know with several REMAs say, you do not need a REMA for anything. Any content can be done without them. REMA just make them that much easier.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-13 09:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean don't get me wrong, make a REMA if you have the ability to. They are fabulous items. You're never going to hear me say "Don't make a REMA you don't need one", because they definitely enhance your character more than a traditional one. The experience with having one is a lot more fun, skillchaining and building gear sets and all. It opens up options you wouldn't have otherwise, and makes gearing a lot more flexible. But one should never let their lack of one discourage them from joining groups because they won't measure up to other players. For the longest while, I used to use a SAM gkt (ichigohitofuri) and lockstyle my 85 Masamune and still was busting out some pretty nice damage. Nobody ever noticed the weapon and nobody cared because the damage was good enough.

Post deleted by User.
By Mattelot 2019-11-13 09:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Relics take less effort than most armor in the game. No excuse not to make a relic even if it is not BiS to hold over til you get Empyrean or Aeonic.

No excuse? What about not wanting to spend 60M for a weapon that you know you will replace in due time when you can get plenty of free or cheaper weapons that will keep you up just fine?

Colada, Buramenk'ah, kaja weapons, etc.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-13 10:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »
60M for a weapon

60M is for the base weapon. It will cost you almost 200M more to upgrade this same relic to be on par with buyable options on the market, some of which are considerably less.

Ambu weapon (smokes some relics in pure dps): 30-40M for pulse, free if you ambu/do deeds (or NNI, aman trove) yourself. If you buy the ambu clears at 5M/VD1, throw an extra 20M on it and you have a rema comparable weapon for 60M.

Su5: 150M and the item is already better than a relic completed R15. Pay a merc 40M to get your 2100 JP in one day and you're still under the cost of the completed relic. Will need to upgrade it via dynamis or heroisms, but the money spent for weapon is still better used than a relic

Buy another Helm/T4/HTBF weapon for under 10M to hold you over until a better weapon option.

I wouldn't recommend anyone making a relic right now if you're trying to meet the REMA wave. It's the least valuable of all weapons and a poor use of your funds imo.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-11-13 10:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Between Ambuscade Weapons and Su4/5 Weapons, why would anyone make a Relic or other REMA that is NOT BiS?

Sure, maybe you want to make one to play with because it looks fun and you have an idea for a good application...

BUT power wise, Ambu weapons and Su4 are much faster and more affordable and plenty powerful. Some are better than REMA.

if you want a cost effective stop gap weapon, you will probably go this route.
By volkom 2019-11-13 10:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Between Ambuscade Weapons and Su4/5 Weapons, why would anyone make a Relic or other REMA that is NOT BiS?

lockstyle!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Mattelot 2019-11-13 11:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
60M for a weapon

60M is for the base weapon. It will cost you almost 200M more to upgrade this same relic to be on par with buyable options on the market, some of which are considerably less.

Ambu weapon (smokes some relics in pure dps): 30-40M for pulse, free if you ambu/do deeds (or NNI, aman trove) yourself. If you buy the ambu clears at 5M/VD1, throw an extra 20M on it and you have a rema comparable weapon for 60M.

Su5: 150M and the item is already better than a relic completed R15. Pay a merc 40M to get your 2100 JP in one day and you're still under the cost of the completed relic. Will need to upgrade it via dynamis or heroisms, but the money spent for weapon is still better used than a relic

Buy another Helm/T4/HTBF weapon for under 10M to hold you over until a better weapon option.

I wouldn't recommend anyone making a relic right now if you're trying to meet the REMA wave. It's the least valuable of all weapons and a poor use of your funds imo.

I guess it depends on the server. You can make a 119 relic on Leviathan for well under 200M. If you're buying everything, mythics are the ones 200M+ here.

Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
You make multiple weapons for diversity because, spoilers, not all monsters and setups are the same.

This is another key statement. I'm working on Epeolatry and Aettir is still better for pure magic fights and then theres Lionheart, another REMA, that is better than Epeo where you can have less than -75 PDT without even batting an eye.
By gistofanything 2019-11-13 12:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

As a new player... People wouldn't really invite my brd to N ambuscade without full REMA, or if I was invited, I'd be removed if a rema brd came out of the woodwork. I don't think it's accurate to say that you don't need rema to eventually be successful. Like Buukki mentioned earlier that there are now stopgap to ease the large bridge there used to be with su3/4 weapons and kaja stuff as well.

In addition, I believe the point was made that the game is in a state now where more people have a rema weapon than don't at this point, so that definitely doesn't help either.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-13 12:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

gistofanything said: »
People wouldn't really invite my brd to N ambuscade without full REMA

These are generally complete idiots and they did you a favor by not inviting you. You do not want to be around people who can't even clear N ambu without REMA, let alone VD
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-11-13 13:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

People wouldn't really invite my brd to N ambuscade without full REMA

These are generally complete idiots and they did you a favor by not inviting you. You do not want to be around people who can't even clear N ambu without REMA, let alone VD

I have Relic + Empy, and almost Aeonic, on my Brd. I once tried to join Omen and was told I couldn't come because I didn't have Mythic.
By Mattelot 2019-11-18 06:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
I have Relic + Empy, and almost Aeonic, on my Brd. I once tried to join Omen and was told I couldn't come because I didn't have Mythic.

If it was your LS, I would find a new LS. Otherwise, it sounds like you ran into pseudo-elitists. I thought these clowns died out back in 07.

That type of idiotic mentality is what ruined PVE in WoW. People trying to make others believe they need to over-gear content just to enter it. News Flash! People had to do it before that gear before.
[+]
 Phoenix.Beerus
Server: Phoenix
user: Nioooo
By Phoenix.Beerus 2019-11-18 06:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I would agree that you don't "need them", but it sure helps.I think a player having a some REMAS shows there may be "A chance", they know what they are doing.Even so, /yell or /sh for REMA this or REMA that is kind of a DB move. That pug life. I think alot of endgamers are running out of things to do, remas to build. So I see alot more helping going around latley. At least on Phoenix, can't speak for Asura anymore.
By Mattelot 2019-11-18 07:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Beerus said: »
I would agree that you don't "need them", but it sure helps.

Absolutely. I've talked to a few veterans and they all agree that there really isn't anything you need a REMA to do but they absolutely make it better. Even with all the shady ways people acquire them now-a-days, it's not good business to require them as any returning players who never had one or new players will likely not get one for years (if at all). And to prevent people from doing content for years will likely make them quit (again).

Phoenix.Beerus said: »
I think alot of endgamers are running out of things to do, remas to build. So I see alot more helping going around latley. At least on Phoenix, can't speak for Asura anymore.

I loved helping people out back in the day. In many ways, helping someone accomplish something they've struggled with gives better "warm fuzzies" than accomplishing some things yourself. Leviathan has plenty of helpful people. I've been hearing more about Asura lately... even Cloudchief is transferring off of it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-18 07:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

See here's the thing. A lot of players are always talking about "the future of FFXI". Guess what, there is no future without new/returning players. All of the enhancements to the game, POL/FFXI installer are made to make returning to the game easier. For people who have been playing north of a decade or so, you probably have amassed a bunch of weapons and gear sets where if you partied with someone who didn't have a REMA, you'd cover whatever flaws they may have had. Is it really THAT big of a deal to not allow someone who may be new/returning to just join your group anyways? They are trying to CP or whatever to better themselves. I'd much rather them be a noob and come through the ranks organically than buy all of their REMAs/JPs in a half hour and have no idea how to apply them. I think people place waaaay too much emphasis on those shinies and they are not nearly as significant of an increase most of the time. If people were truly serious about the "future" of the game, they would not make any unreasonable demands for something so simple as CP/Ambuscade.

shameless plug:
[+]
By Mattelot 2019-11-18 07:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

See here's the thing. A lot of players are always talking about "the future of FFXI". Guess what, there is no future without new/returning players. All of the enhancements to the game, POL/FFXI installer are made to make returning to the game easier. For people who have been playing north of a decade or so, you probably have amassed a bunch of weapons and gear sets where if you partied with someone who didn't have a REMA, you'd cover whatever flaws they may have had. Is it really THAT big of a deal to not allow someone who may be new/returning to just join your group anyways? They are trying to CP or whatever to better themselves. I'd much rather them be a noob and come through the ranks organically than buy all of their REMAs/JPs in a half hour and have no idea how to apply them. I think people place waaaay too much emphasis on those shinies and they are not nearly as significant of an increase most of the time. If people were truly serious about the "future" of the game, they would not make any unreasonable demands for something so simple as CP/Ambuscade.

Well said. However, there are always going to be "those guys" who want to feel superior to others. No matter what, that will never go away in any game. It's not the same as it was years ago.

I remember back in 75 cap when NAs were JUST starting into the end-game scene. There was this one LS where the leader made it clear "NO FRESH 75s!" and I used to baffle him on how he was a fresh 75 literally a couple months ago. He was just trying to give people the illusion that he's somehow superior.

Just this past weekend, I was duoing CP with a buddy and picked up a random GEO who shouted for a party. I didn't even bother asking what his gear looked like, because it didn't matter. We steamrolled everything anyways. Shortly after, we ended up forming a full CP group (I hate hate hate CP parties), and it ended up being extremely fun for a change. Didn't care who had what weapons, as the primary players steamrolled everything and everyone else sat back for support, and it was the easiest CP any of them admittedly ever got. I would do it again just because it didn't take me an hour to fill a 5 song brd/idris geo. I even asked the COR if he was just rolls or could he dd, and said i did not care either way.

If I were soloing or duoing CP with trusts, I'll take any Geo, regardless of gear :P
By SimonSes 2019-11-18 07:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you guys need to stop looking at things from your perspective when you are talking about what's needed or not needed for what content.

First of all, when you take away REMA from your BIS equipped chars to prove a point that you can make some content without REMA, then you are doing it wrong. Like DirectX noticed in his first comment, getting some bis gear is harder or more time consuming than getting REMA. So while REMA is nto required for many content, overall good gear is. You can have REMA and nq gear and be by far worse than someone with bis gear and without REMA.

So going back to my initial thought. REMA might be a part of what is required to clear a content (obviously not for jobs with REMA not even being bis for them), but might be not. If you need to have some accuracy or DPS levels not to time out, then it doesn't matter how you gonna achieve it. You can mix REMA with half hq gear, you can mix non rema with hq gear etc.

On top of that returning players aren't usually that good at game like people with muscle memory and experience playing this game for past few years. So sometimes new/returning players without REMA actually can't clear some content, but it's wrongly connected to REMA itself, the true reason is lack of other gear beside REMA and having rusty skill.

You still can let them leech to get better if you can carry them tho!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-11-18 07:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If I were soloing or duoing CP with trusts, I'll take any Geo, regardless of gear :P

you would assume this, but then there's this chick named Syvlie who will never forget to tag a monster to apply Geomancy, will cure/haste/erase/-na me, and even toss me an entrust occasionally. So her contribution to party goes further than some pickup GEOs xD
[+]
By Mattelot 2019-11-18 07:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I did watch Ruau's video on Geomancer, talking about how bad some are. I can assume there are occasional Geo who underperform as with any job. I've not encountered someone like that since my return but I was pretty brutal about it back in the day. I was all about giving people a chance as we were all noobs at one point but someone who does not even want to put forth any effort is a waste of my time.

And when I say that, I mean someone who obviously isn't even trying.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-11-24 14:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Afania 2019-11-24 15:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

As a new player... People wouldn't really invite my brd to N ambuscade without full REMA,

I've done plenty of VD without full brd rema, it kinda sucked because DD needs very high acc swap, but if brd is from my LS or an alt of another LSmate it's better to invite for the sake of helping the grounp as a whole.

For ambu N though, brd rema makes almost 0 difference. The purpose of brd buff is to cap haste and acc, attack can be capped easily via frailty/def- WS/chaos roll. Since it's so easy to cap acc in N and possible to cap haste without rema, adding anymore acc from brd rema is pointless.

Basically, whoever ask for full rema brd for ambu N doesn't know how DD buffs work.
First Page 2