Forum » FFXI » General » Dear SE
Dear SE
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 13

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2019-11-07 06:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
they refuse to do merges on either because they have data that shows more people quit after a merge than were quitting before.
even if they have data that shows increased amount of people quitting after a server merge and we assume all of them quite due to the merge its still hard to tell how many quit over the years they delayed that merge cause they couldn't find ppl to play with.

if they are not doing them anymore there is a very good reason.
the reason is loss of income from server jumps

Even the smallest servers have 300-400 people and that goes upto 500-600 during free access
a good portion of those players are a mix of AFK, japanese or multiboxers
the extra players during free period often start over fresh or reactivated a old account for a nostalgia fix. most of them will need at least 2-3 months befor they are ready for the easier endgame content unless they have friends who'll help them get stuff done quicker. a lot of them quit befor they reach that point or stick to their closed group of friends instead of joining pickup parties.
i don't even want to know how many of them are RMT bots stocking up gil for the rest of the year.

bottom line the number of potential party members shrinks drastically, depending on your time zone there simply aren't enough players.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2019-11-07 06:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
they refuse to do merges on either because they have data that shows more people quit after a merge than were quitting before.
even if they have data that shows increased amount of people quitting after a server merge and we assume all of them quite due to the merge its still hard to tell how many quit over the years they delayed that merge cause they couldn't find ppl to play with.

Assuming that they DO have the data as original post pointed out.
and considering they DO know how many people subscribe, otherwise it's hard to charge the money... (I know i had to cut that out in cardboard)
Then this is not hard, as it's basic pre-high school statistics.

But then again it not hard either making 12mill during gainexp, that you consider a pipe dream. So here we are again with "its hard for me so it must be hard for others too"

also did you really have to translate "loss of players into" loss of income" did you not think anyone else in the world makes that direct connection?

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2019-11-07 08:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

These arguments about "those are afk" "rmt" or whatever need to stop, cause you have no way to quantify those numbers other than assumptions.

its a educated guess.

regardless of what the individuall players reasoning is for refusing to team up you still have the situation of a MMO that runs multiple small servers with 200-600 players online and each of them frequently struggle to fill shout parties.

I have been through a server merge from Fairy and I saw more long-term players quit (including people who said they would be there till the server went down) after those merges myself than had quit in the years before, because long-term people quitting was almost unheard of honestly before that. Losing names, losing familiarity with others names does hurt retention.

at this point almost all servers have had a merge but there are multiple other factors that might had a bigger effect on dropping player numbers than the merge itself.

dropped language support, XBOX support, PS2 support. they continued to hide behinde the archaic software sturcture argument despite droping console support to avoid necessary updates/upgrades. the rise of free2play in the past decade. ppl having responsibilities like jobs or family that don't permit a time sink like FFXI.

crediting most lost players on the merge alone is making assumptions on your part.
By Draylo 2019-11-07 12:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

People really need to learn to step out of their own minds and see things from others perspectives

The same could be said to you... lol. People are allowed to have opinions, its as if you are trying to force everyone to agree with yours. I've personally known 5 people that have left FFXI because their servers are dead zones, they didn't transfer but they outright quit.

The numbers aren't meaningless, they drive people with competition, new friends, entertainment via yells/shouts(by means of content, not drama.) They all contribute to what an MMORPG is suppose to be, not a solo game or a game where you only play with 5 people. That would be more similar to a platform game that you can play online with people, not an MMO.

In what world is 200 people online okay for an MMORPG? It promotes a bad image for the game and makes people quit faster. Can you not see how people would want to quit when they only see such a low number of people online? It may seem silly, but since I started playing this game people have casually /sea all as a means to judge the games health and they still do. Typically most servers hovered around 2.5~5k players online and that is usually what Asura has.

I bet most of the people against merges or fighting to change others opinions are people who have core groups that do everything or they are multi-boxers that play alone. I can't fathom how someone on a server with 200 people can create groups for all content and have a functional AH.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-11-07 12:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Niche game with not that many players loses players to life and other less niche games. It's really not that complicated.

The French and German populations were 3 digits each when the languages were dropped. The 360 players were even lower than those two. The PS2 players in US same.
And guess what? None of these changes made the numbers fall faster. They kept the same pace.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-11-07 13:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
People are allowed to have opinions, its as if you are trying to force everyone to agree with yours.

Yea, but there is an obvious bias when people from Asura are telling people from other servers we should want a merge. Of course you want a merge, you paid $18 to get to a bigger server, and you like it. That doesn't mean the same applies to everyone else, and there's some severe disconnect when Asurans are the ones telling the rest of us we shouldn't be happy with what we have.

The same opinion coming from Kylos holds a bit more weight, but it's still far from the only valid viewpoint.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-07 13:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

They just want you to be miserable too, asura is a prison lack of choices, not a choice

I mean like you gotta see it from all sides, while there are clearly people happy to be on ghost town servers (I would be) you got people who feel stuck. They don't want to leave the people/place they've been on for (years) because other people won't jump with them, and change is "scary".

Like look at classic wow (just an example, calm the *** down) they have low pop servers PURPOSELY, but they also have high pop and middle ground. We don't have that. It's shithole(with stuff to buy), or ghost town. Pick your poison.
By Shichishito 2019-11-07 13:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
there's some severe disconnect when Asurans are the ones telling the rest of us we shouldn't be happy with what we have.

i'm not from asura, i also believe server merges are long overdue cause the benefits by far outweight the negatives.

Post deleted by User.
By Torzak 2019-11-07 13:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Like 20 people moved to Asura in June of 17 from Carbuncle shortly followed by most of a french LS moving to Asura from Carbuncle.

I will state that for me, I do not find Asura to be a "prison".

The only thing that was hard about considering a move from Carbuncle was the friends and the issue I thought would be obvious which is the competition for something like abyssea empy farming or the ambu line. The ambu line was fixed.

A fair chunk of the people I knew all moved at roughly the same time, so the friend concern didn't end up mattering.

The AH is significantly more healthy on Asura than on Carbuncle.

There's significantly more people to do content with.

The "Shut The F Up" addon renders a crap load of the ridiculous yell spam invisible to me, and if you know what you're doing, the filters can be customized.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-07 13:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Torzak said: »
Carbuncle.
The thing about carbuncle is it's a shithole too. Just a smaller one than asura. So of course it feels ok to you, you're already used to it.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-07 13:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean the community is mostly/largely shitbags... so...
(only really carb, and asura, every other server no comments about)

But they should still be able to play on the server they want without being fined.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-07 13:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Torzak 2019-11-07 13:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll give you that both the forums and the game seem to prove troll behavior is quite normal, encouraged in a lot of cases, even. Not hard to avoid those people.

In what other way would you say the majority of the game is shitbags?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-07 13:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll get banned if I answer that, lol

The tl:dr "pc version" is too many biggots, zealots, a complete and total lack of all things related to having manners, entitlement, arrogance

Basically, humans are shitbags, and humans play ffxi, so it speaks for itself. Something about MMO's (and fps, games in general, the whole of the internet, anonymity) that are magnets for scumbags.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2019-11-07 13:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

People always quote the 2400+ people online at once on Asura, but almost never mention that 400+ of them are just RMT bots in random old world zones farming shield mats or doing other things. I usually forget they even exist until I find myself in one of those zones for an out of the way quest objective or artifact coffer. When you remove them from the active player polulation Asura probably has more or less the same population as one of the servers did in the lvl 75 era. It's still pretty darn full, but I like the activity and the only content progression it slows down are ambuscade or lillith runs via wait queues. That's not that big of a deal to me really.

Also chat filters are a thing. I usually keep shout and yell filters on unless I'm specifically looking for a PUG event. It makes life a whole lot more peaceful. Ignoring the drama really isn't that hard to do.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-07 13:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish you could type /sea all anon, or something like that

All the anons are bots, then double it for the ones who don't even bother to use anon
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2019-11-07 14:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I'll get banned if I answer that, lol

The tl:dr "pc version" is too many biggots, zealots, a complete and total lack of all things related to having manners, entitlement, arrogance

Basically, humans are shitbags, and humans play ffxi, so it speaks for itself. Something about MMO's (and fps, games in general, the whole of the internet, anonymity) that are magnets for scumbags.

LOL that is hilarious. You completely embody everything you just listed off. You have to be the most toxic person I've ever seen in this history of FFXI, its quite astounding.

You could do a whole case study on this game and the people playing it. The majority have severe social autism, and as the population dwindles only the hardcore of the hardcore are left and most of them fit that category perfectly.

I remember going to a XIV convention and the majority type of people that play these games are shut ins that don't know how to interact with people. That doesn't make the people "shitbags" there are quite a few honest and decent people that I've played with over the years. It's just a statistical fact that as we get lower and lower in the population as the game ages, the most hardcore are the ones leftover.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-11-07 16:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
there's some severe disconnect when Asurans are the ones telling the rest of us we shouldn't be happy with what we have.

i'm not from asura, i also believe server merges are long overdue cause the benefits by far outweight the negatives.
While we will disagree on this one, I'm actually curious about a list of those benefits.

I personally don't see a single one and none have been listed in this thread so far, so I'm really curious.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-07 16:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If they merge (some combinations) of all the 3-16 servers, the only benefit is you could possibly get a good sized "not asura". all the people, only half the retards.

Would the new Asura II eventually have just as many retards as classic asura? The world may never know.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 13