2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Brand new computer & POL/FFXI install - POL-0512
Brand new computer & POL/FFXI install - POL-0512
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-07-05 20:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I have a new computer (W5 Pro; Windows 10 Professional; 4GB RAM; 64GB C drive; 128GB D drive; 1Gb Ethernet; USB 2.0 and 3.0). The purpose of the computer is to run FFXI mules (crafting, RoE buffs, RoE heals, RoE status, etc).

I:

0) Got a person to run the FFXI Bechmarch version 3 and got an "Even Match" result. After getting the result, bought the Windows 10 Pro computer from Amazon.com.

1) Downloaded POL & FFXI from the SE website.

2) Ran the extract and installation for POL & FFXI.

3) Ran the configurations for POL and FFXI.

4) Started POL and:
4A) Updated POL.
4B) Updated FFXI.

5) Started FFXI (from POL automatically).

6) Answered the terms and conditions question quickly with accept.

7) Got POL-0512 error after several other messages went by quickly.

POL-0512 says there is a network issue.

OK, BUT:

1) The network is up. I have other computers running and at least 1 has been running FFXI at the same time.

2) The computer is able to ping 8.8.8.8 continuously (e.g. ping 8.8.8.8 -t)

3) I also obtained (via netstat) the POL/FFXI sever IP addresses and pinged those (on subsequent attempts). Thus the POL/FFXI servers are available via ping.

I'm at a loss. While I can log into POL, all attempts on this brand new computer to access the first FFXI menu (past the accept terms and condition) have been a failure. By first FFXI menu, I mean the one where you can chose between Select Character, Create Character, Delete Character, Config, and Back.

I'd appreciate your help in figuring out how to get past this POL-0512 error.
 Asura.Chaostaru
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-07-05 23:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

servers are a POS, try again after the update on the 7th.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Server: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2019-07-05 23:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Make sure you allow POL to run through your firewall, Windows firewall can sometimes produce similar errors.
By Zubis 2019-07-06 20:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a setting in PlayOnline near File Check (before you even login) called Network Settings or similar. Either uncheck or check the box. It helped me.

Sorry for the vagueness I don't have FFXI to hand right now.
By Jetackuu 2019-07-07 00:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

IBHalliwell said: »
4GB RAM; 64GB C drive; 128GB D drive
Your ram and drive size are utter garbage, aside from that it sounds like a network issue, either on your end (firewall, router, or the crap wifi on that hot garbage) or your ISP/country*sees what a w5 pro is* get a real computer dude. /eyeroll
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Server: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-07-07 04:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Your ram and drive size are utter garbage, aside from that it sounds like a network issue, either on your end (firewall, router, or the crap wifi on that hot garbage) or your ISP/country*sees what a w5 pro is* get a real computer dude. /eyeroll

That's, uh, pretty harsh. You know those specs are way better than what we used to play this game on right? Some people can't afford even mid-tier, play on what you can because lord knows this game doesn't demand it.

Aside from that outburst which as nothing to do with your issue, try disabling your firewall all together to test. If your game runs without the firewall, it means the ports necessary are blocked by your firewall.

Do not try to run the game through VPN like WTFast as it will not really work.

If you have issues with your firewall disabled, that means you have a configuration error on your router. Maybe the XI ports are being forwarded to the computer which is running XI fine. There's many issues it can be.
[+]
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-07-07 15:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for your reply!

First, you are right about a real computer. I do have one (2 processors at 3.2Ghz with 12 cores, 48GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 12GB HD, NVIDIA 1050 & 970, Gigabit Ethernet, etc.

Pocket PC (W5 Pro): If you compare it both the minimum requirements for FFXI and the computers available when FFXI came out, I think you'd agree it matches or exceeds those specs.

Your suggestion on turning off the Windows 10 firewall was spot on! My other (main) system uses Avast! and its firewall has no issues with FFXI. I guess the Windows 10 firewall, by itself, isn't very bright about allowing FFXI to work.

Again thanks!
[+]
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-07-07 15:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
\Try disabling your firewall all together to test. If your game runs without the firewall, it means the ports necessary are blocked by your firewall.

If you have issues with your firewall disabled, that means you have a configuration error on your router. Maybe the XI ports are being forwarded to the computer which is running XI fine. There's many issues it can be.

I took your suggestion (as well as others) and disabled the Windows 10 firewall. It runs like a champ! :)

As for a better system, I have a Dell T7500 with 2 X5980 processors and 48GB RAM, etc. It runs FFXI fine, but I wanted a second system to do the daily ROE quests (e.g. Buffs, Heals, Cure status, etc) with characters I have on 2 different POL accounts.

Take care and thank you for your help and support.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-07-07 17:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pocket PC (W5 Pro): If you compare it both the minimum requirements for FFXI and the computers available when FFXI came out, I think you'd agree it matches or exceeds those specs.
That'd be fine if it were comparable, when anyone with a brain knows it isn't.
By Jetackuu 2019-07-07 18:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »

That's, uh, pretty harsh. You know those specs are way better than what we used to play this game on right? Some people can't afford even mid-tier, play on what you can because lord knows this game doesn't demand it.

Aside from that outburst which as nothing to do with your issue, try disabling your firewall all together to test. If your game runs without the firewall, it means the ports necessary are blocked by your firewall.

Reality is harsh. They really aren't, also that may be relevant if we were playing in 800x600 on a 15" crt at 29.8fps.

Also it isn't an "outburst" but lolok.

I wouldn't even recommend running the OS on that garbage spec, but hey, people do that all the time.