Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Advice on gun upgrade
Advice on gun upgrade
By Fribbit 2019-05-08 08:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So I've been working on gearing up COR a bit more, mainly through Ambu and AH stuff and thought it was time I probably got a better gun. I'm currently only a couple thousand Hallmarks away from a stage 3 Ambu sword and I've also started on the Ambu knife as well for dual-wield options.

I'm still in the "entry-level" area of gear(with a couple mid-tier pieces here and there) so some of the guns are still a bit out of my reach. I'm eyeing either Doomsday or Arasy Gun currently.

My question is how good Arasy is. I don't have the 50 JP required to equip it yet, but with the CP Campaign coming up in a couple days I planned on getting them, but is Arasy worth it over Doomsday? I'm assuming the answer is no, but my issue with Doomsday is I have the absolute WORST luck with augments and I really do not have the money or the desire to spend a ton of money trying for perfect augments on a Doomsday. I know a perfect Doomsday is more or less a top 3 Leaden Salute gun, but I also don't have a ton of money since I just spent a bunch of it on some AH pieces(Pixie Earring +1, Prosilio Belt +1, Arvina Ringlet +1, etc.). So I guess the real question would be is Arasy as good/better than Doomsday with average augments? Or is there a different one apart from those two I should aim for before being able to get a higher tier one like Nibiru or Moly(or even Compensator)? I guess anything is better than Homestead(which is why I desperately need a gun upgrade), but I don't want to waste time and/or resources unnecessarily if possible.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-08 08:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

For starters, holliday is the first major gun upgrade to look at iirc. With good augs, you arent going to beat it without a rema.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-05-08 08:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just grab the gun from WOC till you find/build something better.
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-05-08 08:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Doomsday, with good augments, will be one of the better options for Leaden Salute and Wildfire. It will last you pretty much until you get a Death Penalty. (if you make one) Or a Molybdosis if you don't get great augments.

Holiday, as mentioned above, is another big upgrade. It's the best Last Stand gun before you get Fomalhaut. If it's out of reach for you, Nibiru Gun or a second Doomsday will hold you over until you can pick one up.

Another one that isn't on your list that should be is Anarchy +2, the TP Bonus gun from Trial of the Magians. It's the best Savage Blade upgrade you can make. The 1000tp bonus is massive. Considering Savage Blade is going to be the weaponskill you use for most content outside of Fu, Ou, Dyanmis D, a few other fights, and CP parties – this is the biggest upgrade you can make. You will use it for more often than any other gun.

I wouldn't bother with Arasy Gun at all. I would get a compensator, when you can, but only as a rolling macro piece.

If you can get a good Doomsday, decent Holiday, and Anarchy +2, you'll be set until you start replacing them with ultimate weapons.
By Fribbit 2019-05-08 08:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
For starters, holliday is the first major gun upgrade to look at iirc. With good augs, you arent going to beat it without a rema.

I unfortunately do not have Reisenjima access yet. Still working on that.

fonewear said: »

Is WoC soloable? I was under the impression it was a difficult fight unless you were really well-geared(which I am not). I was asking my LS about how difficult WoC was and they were saying it was a more difficult fight and not easily low-manned. Not ruling out that they could just be mistaken, but that's what I've been told.
By Fribbit 2019-05-08 08:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
Doomsday, with good augments, will be one of the better options for Leaden Salute and Wildfire. It will last you pretty much until you get a Death Penalty. (if you make one) Or a Molybdosis if you don't get great augments.

Holiday, as mentioned above, is another big upgrade. It's the best Last Stand gun before you get Fomalhaut. If it's out of reach for you, Nibiru Gun or a second Doomsday will hold you over until you can pick one up.

Another one that isn't on your list that should be is Anarchy +2, the TP Bonus gun from Trial of the Magians. It's the best Savage Blade upgrade you can make. The 1000tp bonus is massive. Considering Savage Blade is going to be the weaponskill you use for most content outside of Fu, Ou, Dyanmis D, a few other fights, and CP parties – this is the biggest upgrade you can make. You will use it for more often than any other gun.

I wouldn't bother with Arasy Gun at all. I would get a compensator, when you can, but only as a rolling macro piece.

If you can get a good Doomsday, decent Holiday, and Anarchy +2, you'll be set until you start replacing them with ultimate weapons.

I guess I might just have to swallow the cost and hope I get at least good augs on a Doomsday without spending millions. I started the TP bonus gun, but have kinda been putting it off. Definitely going work on that more as well.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-05-08 09:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fribbit said: »
I guess I might just have to swallow the cost and hope I get at least good augs on a Doomsday without spending millions. I started the TP bonus gun, but have kinda been putting it off. Definitely going work on that more as well.

It should cost you between 1-2m to get decent augments. Anything more and you either have terrible luck or are spending too much money on +2s. I would buy mostly +1 stones for it.

Shoot for 5%+ Weapon Skill Damage, 20+ Magic Attack Bonus, and 15+ Agi. That shouldn't cost too much as they aren't perfect augments, but will beat any gun other than Molybdosis and Death Penalty.

Perfect Augments are something like Agi 23, MAB 25, WSD 7%. This will actually come out ahead of Molyb, but that could take forever.

*EDIT
Need to specify, this is just for Leaden Salute and Wildfire. This will not be a good gun for Last Stand.
By fonewear 2019-05-08 09:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Is WoC soloable? I was under the impression it was a difficult fight unless you were really well-geared(which I am not). I was asking my LS about how difficult WoC was and they were saying it was a more difficult fight and not easily low-manned. Not ruling out that they could just be mistaken, but that's what I've been told.

Not soloable but if you know 3 good summoners a GEO and a PLD COR it is pretty easy.
By eliroo 2019-05-08 09:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably just better to save your gil and unlock Reisenjima then spend like 2-3M (Idk what people charge) and just buy a Holliday.
By Fribbit 2019-05-08 09:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It should cost you between 1-2m to get decent augments. Anything more and you either have terrible luck or are spending too much money on +2s. I would buy mostly +1 stones for it.

Shoot for 5%+ Weapon Skill Damage, 20+ Magic Attack Bonus, and 15+ Agi. That shouldn't cost too much as they aren't perfect augments, but will beat any gun other than Molybdosis and Death Penalty.

Perfect Augments are something like Agi 23, MAB 25, WSD 7%. This will actually come out ahead of Molyb, but that could take forever.

Fair enough, I wouldn't mind spending that. I have just heard horror stories of people spending 8-10+ mil on them and it makes me sick. Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Not soloable but if you know 3 good summoners a GEO and a PLD COR it is pretty easy.

OK, that works. I'll see if I can get a group together sometime. Thanks a lot for the setup!
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-05-08 09:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough, I wouldn't mind spending that. I have just heard horror stories of people spending 8-10+ mil on them and it makes me sick. Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Back in the day it would have cost about that much for decent augments, and significantly more for perfect. Now stones are dirt cheap compared to what they used to be so it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Also, Alluvion Skirmish can be solo'd pretty easily – so you can always farm for stones if you prefer.
By fonewear 2019-05-08 09:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't recommend relying on random augments to get a "perfect" gun.

If you are serious about corsair just save your gil and make a death penalty.
[+]
By Fribbit 2019-05-08 09:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I do plan on making a DP eventually, but I figured getting some better gear overall first is probably what I should do before making DP.

Back in the day it would have cost about that much for decent augments, and significantly more for perfect. Now stones are dirt cheap compared to what they used to be so it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Also, Alluvion Skirmish can be solo'd pretty easily – so you can always farm for stones if you prefer.

I have soloed Alluvion Skirmish before, yeah. Do the Mellidopt Wings drop from Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish or just the ones you get weapons from? I know soloing the skirmishes that drop weapons like Rala and Cirdas is far more difficult, so I don't think getting a direct drop is in the cards for me. I can get the Mog kupon from the intermediate objective, but I have a decent amount of other intermediate objectives to get through first.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-05-08 09:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

He doesn't need a perfect doomsday, just a decent one to hold him over until Molyb/DP. Which is why I said to shoot for 5+ WSD, 20+ MAB, and 15+ Agi. These are not perfect augments and should be easy to get.

@Fribbit
Yes, Mel Wings drop from Yorcia. You can also exchange Mel Wings for alluvion skirmish armor. They drop in all zones. I would actually say it's easier to get them in Yorcia.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-05-08 10:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I know soloing the skirmishes that drop weapons like Rala and Cirdas is far more difficult

With trusts nowadays, Alluvion Skirmish (Rala/Cirdas) are braindead easy. BLU can nuke down the whole floor and stunlock every boss, so they are a non-threat. Even a strong DD with healing trusts can demolish that event. The main annoyance in Alluvion are the random map sizes, dead ends, and tons of monsters and silly objectives that have you running around in circles. But it shouldn't take you 30 minutes tops to get a Doomsday, and likely no more than 3mil to get reasonable Leaden Augments, especially as Reich mentioned, with the price of stones now. The event can be done entirely solo, or you can bring a friend or two to get some drops if you want.

IMO, it's a rather tame and fun event when you're stone/weapon farming. I have a mule with dozens of unused weapons I wish I could trade to an armor poacher so people could buy them when need it ; ;
 Asura.Patb
user: Patbee
By Asura.Patb 2019-05-08 10:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I do plan on making a DP eventually, but I figured getting some better gear overall first is probably what I should do before making DP.

Just chiming in to support you in this mindset. Don't go thinking making a rema will magically fix anything. You need the rest of the gear to support it.
[+]
By Fribbit 2019-05-08 10:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I know soloing the skirmishes that drop weapons like Rala and Cirdas is far more difficult

With trusts nowadays, Alluvion Skirmish (Rala/Cirdas) are braindead easy. BLU can nuke down the whole floor and stunlock every boss, so they are a non-threat. Even a strong DD with healing trusts can demolish that event. The main annoyance in Alluvion are the random map sizes, dead ends, and tons of monsters and silly objectives that have you running around in circles. But it shouldn't take you 30 minutes tops to get a Doomsday, and likely no more than 3mil to get reasonable Leaden Augments, especially as Reich mentioned, with the price of stones now. The event can be done entirely solo, or you can bring a friend or two to get some drops if you want.

IMO, it's a rather tame and fun event when you're stone/weapon farming. I have a mule with dozens of unused weapons I wish I could trade to an armor poacher so people could buy them when need it ; ;

I've tried to solo Rala before, but I struggled and wound up failing. Granted, that was when I had basically just hit 99, so I guess I'll give it a go again. Thanks for the heads up!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-05-08 10:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

A new 99 would struggle with the zones, especially if you don't have the right gear or job. It depends on how good you are soloing and managing crowds etc.

If you have BLU and at least the subduction spell, everything in that zone should melt to BLU nukes. You will struggle with the Dvergr, though, so you may need to bring along a friend (you can stunlock him with Sudden Lunge spam). Just shout for people, it's usually not hard to get 2-3 extra bodies to come soak up some damage and split up for objectives. Plus its individualized treasure and pooled gear, so everyone has a chance at something and walks away with spoils. Can do multiple back to back runs to guarantee you have time to farm your weapons.

Also, just to point this out: Doomsday drops in Cirdas Alluvion from the Golem (not Rala), so if you were farming for it in Rala, you would never see it.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-05-08 10:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

OK, that works. I'll see if I can get a group together sometime. Thanks a lot for the setup!

Keep in mind that making a WOC pop is a process of killing a bunch of random pop NMs. Gun is also not guaranteed (like 25-35% drop rate). It's not really easy to get.

My advice would be to grab Doomsday with your ROE kupon, and just put some basic augs on it w/ NQ/+1 stones.

Use that for awhile, and if you find that you really love the job, then go after DP. Save whatever gil you would have spent on mercing your Holliday/Molybdosis and put it toward an MEA weapon instead.
By Fribbit 2019-05-08 10:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
A new 99 would struggle with the zones, especially if you don't have the right gear or job. It depends on how good you are soloing and managing crowds etc.

If you have BLU and at least the subduction spell, everything in that zone should melt to BLU nukes. You will struggle with the Dvergr, though, so you may need to bring along a friend (you can stunlock him with Sudden Lunge spam). Just shout for people, it's usually not hard to get 2-3 extra bodies to come soak up some damage and split up for objectives. Plus its individualized treasure and pooled gear, so everyone has a chance at something and walks away with spoils. Can do multiple back to back runs to guarantee you have time to farm your weapons.

Also, just to point this out: Doomsday drops in Cirdas Alluvion from the Golem (not Rala), so if you were farming for it in Rala, you would never see it.

Yeah, when I first attempted Rala way back when it was on THF and I was looking for the dagger skirmish weapon there at the time. Wasn't looking for Doomsday there. Haha. That would be something.
By Fribbit 2019-05-08 10:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »

Keep in mind that making a WOC pop is a process of killing a bunch of random pop NMs. Gun is also not guaranteed (like 25-35% drop rate). It's not really easy to get.

My advice would be to grab Doomsday with your ROE kupon, and just put some basic augs on it w/ NQ/+1 stones.

Use that for awhile, and if you find that you really love the job, then go after DP. Save whatever gil you would have spent on mercing your Holliday/Molybdosis and put it toward an MEA weapon instead.

Yeah, I'm thinking Doomsday is probably the best option at this point(and making Ataktos) and I'll go from there. Thanks for all the awesome info and advice all!
By Fribbit 2019-05-26 10:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Apologies for the bump, but just an update on my bad luck train...

Finally got around to augmenting my Doomsday. Spent about 2mil and probably 80-100 stones and never once saw WSD+ unfortunately.

The best I could do was STR/AGI+19, MAB/MACC+15 and Snapshot+7.

I'll probably take a break and try for WSD+ again sometime, but I am just too frustrated to keep going right now.