Best Sword Combinations Now?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Best Sword Combinations Now?
Best Sword Combinations Now?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2019-05-01 12:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
The last thing "we" want is a bunch of bandwagon blus with 75% acc thinking they're god with a tpbonus weapon but terrible ws frequency.

uh its Asura, duh! and 75% is pretty generous compared to some of these bozos running around
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-01 13:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

OP is Phoenician

But yeah.. did a few D with a cor that was rockin 34% acc. Good times. Some people just don't give a ***. or clueless.
 Asura.Zulaern
user: Zulaern
By Asura.Zulaern 2019-05-01 13:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I might be potentially opening a can of worms here, but this is part of the mentality that's just different in FFXI. People are more accepting of people trying wacky builds or just not being educated. I used to play a bunch of WoW before too. That sort of thing wouldn't fly there if they were doing any sort of end game content higher than "raid finder." A more elitist mentality that I actually miss sometimes.

I bet not even half of FFXI players are running scoreboard or some sort of DPS meter, so some people might actually have no idea they're awful.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2019-05-01 14:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Since a lot of high end content had their evasion nerfed in an update a couple years ago(more than once I think), coinciding with SMN buff and gear creep, long forgotten TB bonus magian weapons are extremely viable now provided you meet acc requirements to at least 90%.

Don't necessarily need to cap accuracy is my understanding. They are now very useful, and in some cases can provide the best DPS combo for a particular job.

Sequence and Thiburon would be best or competitive with Naeqling/Thib for savage blade. Probably depends on your sets, buffs, and Tp overflow.

Expiacion too strong though at R15, and BLU Savage Blade generally sucks compared to the other jobs that can use it.

Get Tizona, If able and you are a serious BLU. Get the TP bonus Sword. Use them when your acc is capped and it's the best DPS a BLU can do currently. You can also use the Thib with other weapons. Good option to have.
[+]
 Asura.Iiana
By Asura.Iiana 2019-05-01 22:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
Cerberus.Kaht said: »
Asura.Iiana said: »
Does ... TP bonus do something for CDC suddenly?

Are you still spamming CDC? It's been dethroned as my primary ws for years, unless I'm all alone which is basically never.
Yea, once sequence was a thing and more ws gear, savage everything.
But, best offhand for R15 almace?

Nah, I know Savage blade has been strictly better for a while, mostly wondering if I'd missed an update somewhere.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-05-02 01:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
I heard many people saying this, then they tried Thibron and changee their mind. Like Afania said, its only a one day farm, so it doesnt hurt to try.
One day farm, wut?
Really?

Took me several days (well, more like 3, no more than 4 anyway) to get my Centovente not long ago, and it was an incredibly boring and stressing experience.

How are you guys getting Thibron in "one day"? How many hours does that equate to?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-02 02:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thib should only take like 4 hours. Super fast. If you do it on pld with a proper shield mastery set in abyssea and pull the whole god damn zone it might go even faster lol.

It's just use 3000 weaponskills. Plus travel time.

You can do the first 100 on uragnites in <10 minutes, second 200 in <20 same spot, third 300 in 20 same spot. Then hit up abyssea for the rest 30-45 each. Important to turn off gearswap so things die slowly to maximize ws per pop.

2box a cor dramatically speeds it up and/or team ups
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-05-02 02:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, for Centovente I did some trials in Abyssea, but it was super annoying. Did the "Killshot" with a friend in Abyssea and that went very fast, rest I did alone and after multiple tests I ended up doing the majority of them on Escha/Delve NMs, for the simple fact I could spam 50-100 WS on each NM without having the super boring part of having to find a monster, engaging it, doing WSs, then rinse and repeat hoping I don't kill faster than the repop etc.

Did one trial on Apex monsters actually (crabs).

Granted you don't really "need" to do the last 2 trials, You can stop on the +2 version of the weapon. Same +1000 TP bonus, just a couple of + base damage which won't really change much in your DPS.
I did last 2 trials because I'm OCD, mostly, lol.

Oh also I guess it's way less annoying if you've got a mule to buff you. If you have to rely on trusts BRDs/RDMs for those Marches and/or Haste2 it gets really unefficient.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-05-02 02:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway, to get back to my initial question. If that is "4 hours" for you, I guess it still equates to "~3 days" for me.

Probably Centovente would've been "4 hours" for your standards as well, yet it took me exactely what I said above, 3-4 days of incredibly boring, cringe inducing, joypad-throwing, super annoying farming.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-02 02:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean it's far from fun, but that's ffxi. Just another chore. A billion things to do and no *** to give about doing them.

Do a trial a day, it's not like it's vitally important enough to rush it down in one day, merely possible to do so. Haven't used blue in more than a year and even less worthwhile now with ***like shining one out.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-05-02 03:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lexouritis said: »
Sequence and Thiburon would be best
On paper maybe, realistically nope.
That's because of two reasons which someone might be able to explain better after my post, hopefully:

1) The "curve" of increased damage based on TP reaches its peak in around the middle of the 1000-3000 scale. From 2k onwards it tipically slows down a lot. It's not the case for all WSs maybe, but it is the case for Savage Blade. This means that adding more TP past that "sweet point" will still of course produce a damage increase, but it will start to be progressively slower than it was before reaching that sweet point. Said in other terms: 1000 TP bonus when you already have 750 (Sequence+Moonshade) might not be as good as you would reasonably expect it to be after seeing the increase that 750 alone can give you

2) Realistically you can't avoid TP overflow, period. With a total of 1750 TP bonus you would end up wasting small amounts of TP more often than not.

That's why for WSs like Rudra's Storm and Savage Blade (and Aeneas/Sequence) using TPbonus offhand tipically doesn't produce increases as large as one would expect.
More often than not you're better off using a different OH weapon.
That's quite clear for Dagger, with Twashtar OH, I guess it's less obvious for Sword given the mods of Savage Blade and the available OH swords, but it's still something to consider.

On a hunch I'd say that Naegling/Thibron might be the best option for SB spam.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-05-02 03:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Some math I did for RDM at someones request.

Fixing the math after I forgot to account for Thibron when calculating Naegling's Savage Blade.

BLU's got better TP gear, so overflow's gonna be an even bigger problem for Sequence on BLU than it was for RDM. As Sechs mentioned.

Edit: neaglings attack bonus is a factor to consider as well.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-05-02 04:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

As sad as it is to see a Ambuscade weapon beating a Legendary Weapon, I'm not surprised by those results =/

Sad, really.
In before 1 year from now, next RMEA update, Aeonic are gonna be OMGAWESOME again, but for now... eh.

If for whatever reason you can't exploit Thibron OH though, things are gonna be different and of course Sequence will win for SB spam, even with a R1 Sequence (not like R15 makes that much of a difference for Aeonics anyway)

Edit:
Velkur I forgot to mention, I'm not sure I agree with your statement that Overflow is gonna be a bigger issue for BLU than it is for RDM.
I mean I concur with you wholeheartedly on BLU having better gear/traits than RDM, but RDM has Temper2 which is quite powerful.
Think their TP overflow is gonna be pretty close to each other and, yes, it's gonna be pretty noticeable for both, at capped delay.
If anything I'd say Thibron is more useable by BLU, because of better native (skill cap, traits) and gear-related accuracy.
RDM doesn't get that luxury, even though Composure's ~70 acc helps a lot in closing the gap (and you have Distract3 too, of course).
If we take Distract3 out of the picture, I think both jobs can make use of Thibron but BLU has is slightly better probably.
 Ragnarok.Galiber
Server: Ragnarok
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2019-05-02 07:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Since we're talking about "best", I'm more concerned if Naegling is a better offhand for Tizona when Thibron isn't viable (and let's be honest, there are situations where it isn't and you need the acc).

I really have no idea anymore if I should use Tiz + Almace, Tiz + Sequence, Tiz + Neagling/Colada/Raetic +1/whatever
By SimonSes 2019-05-02 08:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Velkur I forgot to mention, I'm not sure I agree with your statement that Overflow is gonna be a bigger issue for BLU than it is for RDM.
I mean I concur with you wholeheartedly on BLU having better gear/traits than RDM, but RDM has Temper2 which is quite powerful.

I was thinking the same, but when you check it closely I think BLU is actually ahead even against Temper II. I have no idea what's the best TP set for RDM with Thibron looks like, but you probably need to drop some Teaon pieces for Ayanmo to balance accuracy.

I'm guessing you will end up with something around:
32%TA
23%DA
52 STP (with Sequence, maybe more if you have Volte pieces from Bastok)

Now my ACC set for BLU has (with traits):
2% QA
28% TA
4% DA
86 STP (with Sequence)

So the main difference would be DA vs STP. I don't have time to calculate it now, especially that you would need to consider Samurai roll too, but it's probably close? For sure both jobs will have huge overflow with Sequence and Samurai roll.
[+]
By geigei 2019-05-02 09:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
Naegling is a better offhand for Tizona
Sounds about right.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-05-02 09:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Best dual wield setup is 2 warp clubs, first to warp to mog house to change to something useful. Second to warp again to change because someone better logged in for that useful job.
By eliroo 2019-05-02 09:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Frod said: »
Best dual wield setup is 2 warp clubs, first to warp to mog house to change to something useful. Second to warp again to change because someone better logged in for that useful job.

But who would sub DNC or NIN on SMN?
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-05-02 09:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Asura.Frod said: »

But who would sub DNC or NIN on SMN?
An idiot blu named elirpoo who only used the first club?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-05-02 09:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the details Simon, I underestimated STP vs multiattack, that's quite a valid point.

SimonSes said: »
For sure both jobs will have huge overflow with Sequence and Samurai roll.
Well yeah, for sure.
Which is exactely why in a real situation/environment the difference between Naegl and Sequence MH will be in favor of the former, more than a spreadsheet actually shows.
 Odin.Botosi
Server: Odin
user: Botosi
By Odin.Botosi 2019-05-02 10:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm an up and coming BLU. I have a naegling but no decent offhand so decided to work on Thibron.

I had my friend lend me his blurred sword +1 while I work on trials. My question is, in general, how decent is blurred +1 as an offhand to Naegling? I like how quickly I'm building TP. I decided to test it out on some T2 Ru Aun NMs and was demolishing them.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-05-02 10:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Not accounting for DW, because lazy, here's a general idea of the TP gaining difference between the two. With Sequence too.
[+]
 Phoenix.Bridgerbot
Server: Phoenix
user: bridger
By Phoenix.Bridgerbot 2019-05-02 18:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If some people are saying Thibron is viable for Wave 3 Dynamis then my Khanda +2 with Occasionally attacks 2-4 times would be viable. I guess I may or may not try that again. I'd be able to not-stop spam WS with my current gear if that can actually land hits.
By Viciouss 2019-05-02 18:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure people are only talking about tp bonus thib.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-05-04 21:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
Pretty sure people are only talking about tp bonus thib.
wouldn't the da/qa proc on that weapon and basically be ***' useless anyway since it's a non ilevel weapon?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-04 21:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It wouldn't really be any different than the tpbonus weapon. Faster ws is roughly the same as more damage on the ws.

They achieve the same goal faster deader mob. tpbonus is just a bigger gain. (I think)
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-05-04 22:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It wouldn't really be any different than the tpbonus weapon. Faster ws is roughly the same as more damage on the ws.

They achieve the same goal faster deader mob. tpbonus is just a bigger gain. (I think)

except that, again, you're using a non ilevel weapon that will just whiff 2 to 4 times and give you nothing.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-04 22:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

no, they're specifically using acc buffs and gear to make up for it
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-05-04 22:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

no, they're specifically using acc buffs and gear to make up for it
you'd have to stack every acc buff to maybe hit. that's monumentally stupid to do.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-04 22:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the cue for Afania

Already been covered, in multiple other threads.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7