Best Sword Combinations Now?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Best Sword Combinations Now?
Best Sword Combinations Now?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Phoenix.Bridgerbot
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: bridger
By Phoenix.Bridgerbot 2019-04-30 17:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I am wondering what the best sword combinations are now.

A lot of the guides say

Tizona + Almace.

Is that still true?

I remember reading the ranking was:

1)Tizona + Almace
2)Almace + Perfect Colada
3)Almace + Sequence

These were written before Almace could be augmented and before the Naegling existed.

I currently have a lvl 7 augmented Almace.

My Colada isn't perfect, but it does have a DM Augment of +5% Crit Hit Rate, +15 DMG, +8 DEX, and +15 Acc.

I'm wondering if I fully augment my Almace and get a Naegling, if that would be the best combo in the game, especially for CDC spam.

Would the Almace + Naegling be stronger, or would my Almace + DM Augmented Colada be stronger?

Would this beat the combo of Tizona & Almace? In either event, I don't plan to get a Tizona, but I might get a Naegling if it's much better than my Colada in the off hand.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-04-30 17:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Tizona and Tizona.
By SimonSes 2019-04-30 18:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

For damage? In group content?
Tizona + Thibron, by far
Naegling + Thibron and Maxentius + Thibron are very powerful too.

For solo it's usually the same, unless pdif is low or target is weak to magic, then probably Tizona+Naegling or Tizona+Almace or Almace+Naegling.
 Asura.Cladbolg
user: cladbolg
By Asura.Cladbolg 2019-04-30 18:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Where does sequence fit into this?

Is Sequence + Thibron worse than Naegling + Thibron for savage spam at this time?

I ask because I have both sequence and naegling, I’m not sure which to use? Is Sequence + Naegling better than the above 2 combos? Thanks.
By Zeota 2019-04-30 18:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Some folks in my LS were discussing the same thing the other day.
Assuming R15, I'd imagine the sequence would come out ahead if you were unloading as soon as you had enough TP.
By SimonSes 2019-04-30 18:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say Naegling + Thibron is better, because Naegling has over 50acc that works for both hands (+40acc and +15dex) and R0 Sequence has no +acc for offhand and this is limit whole build to much lower ilvl content. Also Sequence + Thibron can use max 1250TP (Sequence +500, Thibron +1000, Moonshade +250), so every time you overtp above 1250TP, you make some of the TP bonus useless and going over 1250TP will happen a lot in high buff situation. Lastly even between 1000 and 1250TP, TP bonus from Sequence will barely beat +6dmg, +15MND, +15% Savage Blade damage.

At R15 Sequence this changed a little, because Sequence gets some acc and base damage, but I would say Naegling is still better, because in solo, you will probably lack attack to cap and Naegling bonus will be very noticeable then with amount of buffs that BLU has while soloing with Trusts and in group content you will probably have Samurai roll and you will overtp above 1250TP very frequently.
[+]
 Phoenix.Bridgerbot
By Phoenix.Bridgerbot 2019-04-30 18:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Tizona + Thibron, by far

Asura.Cladbolg said: »
I ask because I have both sequence and naegling, I’m not sure which to use? Is Sequence + Naegling better than the above 2 combos? Thanks.

Took me a minute to figure out what you guys were saying, you are saying near perfect Colada = Thibron which is junk right?

>Tizona+Naegling or Tizona+Almace or Almace+Naegling

So you think these are now the top 3 combinations and Colada isn't in the picture regardless of augments?
By SimonSes 2019-04-30 18:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure what you mean. Thibron is Thibron. It's a sword from Magian trials that can have TP bonus +1000 Augment. It's by far bis offhand for Tizona, Naegling or Maxentius for any group content where you can get enough accuracy buffs (Marcato Honor march is enough for most content, but you need much more buffs for stuff like wave 3 Dynamis D) to cap accuracy.
By soralin 2019-04-30 19:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Thibron is only good if you can compensate for the huge acc loss.

You need an actual bard and geo for that.

If you have a bard and geo, then Thibron is probably your best in slot offhand for Expiacion and Savage Blade.
By SimonSes 2019-04-30 19:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You dont need geo for most content and you dont even need more than honor march for most of the content. You can have above 1100 acc without food with Thibron and thats more than some ilvl 119 low acc build on some jobs (Cor for example).
By Afania 2019-04-30 20:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Bridgerbot said: »
Tizona + Thibron, by far

Asura.Cladbolg said: »

Took me a minute to figure out what you guys were saying, you are saying near perfect Colada = Thibron which is junk right?

>Tizona+Naegling or Tizona+Almace or Almace+Naegling

So you think these are now the top 3 combinations and Colada isn't in the picture regardless of augments?

If you use CDC with almace colada may still be good offhand if you have very high dex+crit dmg augment or something. Since TP bonus isnt the best stat for CDC.
[+]
 Phoenix.Bridgerbot
By Phoenix.Bridgerbot 2019-04-30 20:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure what you mean. Thibron is Thibron. It's a sword from Magian trials that can have TP bonus +1000 Augment. It's by far bis offhand for Tizona, Naegling or Maxentius

Oh sorry, I thought you meant something completely different. Thanks for your input. I would probably not take the loss in acc for a lot of the content I do.
By Afania 2019-04-30 21:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I would probably not take the loss in acc for a lot of the content I do.

TP bonus magian is very small time investment anyways. So its probably a good idea to make one if you are in a situation that can use it.
By SimonSes 2019-05-01 01:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure what you mean. Thibron is Thibron. It's a sword from Magian trials that can have TP bonus +1000 Augment. It's by far bis offhand for Tizona, Naegling or Maxentius

Oh sorry, I thought you meant something completely different. Thanks for your input. I would probably not take the loss in acc for a lot of the content I do.

I heard many people saying this, then they tried Thibron and changee their mind. Like Afania said, its only a one day farm, so it doesnt hurt to try.
 Asura.Tarquine
By Asura.Tarquine 2019-05-01 04:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god... so confused. I'm a BLU who has recently returned, so I'm currently rocking: Tanmogayi+1/Niburu

Building Tizona (20k alex to go) and planning on building Naegling when the Ambuscade resets (blew this month's allocations on other goodies). I predict to be done by the end of May.

Mainly solo on BLU, or low man few things. Have other jobs for other content (e.g. eyeing up Formahault for COR, and looking to finish Armageddon for COR too after Tizona).

Given the above, should I continue with the above goal of Tiz & Naegling? Or should my eyes start wandering elsewhere?

EDIT: Also, been told about Thibron. It's on the to-do list.
By geigei 2019-05-01 05:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard many people saying this, then they tried Thibron and changee their mind.
I got it, tried on a few non zerg situations, went back offhanding almace.
 Asura.Iiana
By Asura.Iiana 2019-05-01 05:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Does ... TP bonus do something for CDC suddenly?
Also, off topic, spend the money you would on Armageddon on Death Penalty instead, the empyrean has not aged well. Tiz is also better for longer content, so varying on what you intend to use blu for, Almace, Naeg, or Sequence are fine, sometimes better.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2019-05-01 08:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iiana said: »
Also, off topic, spend the money you would on Armageddon on Death Penalty instead, the empyrean has not aged well. Tiz is also better for longer content, so varying on what you intend to use blu for, Almace, Naeg, or Sequence are fine, sometimes better.

It does actually do something for CDC. It increases your chance to crit. No bonus to damage potential, just higher average damage.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2019-05-01 08:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, but it's being used for Expiacion and Savage Blade, not CDC
[+]
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-05-01 08:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Swordchucks
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Swordchucks 2019-05-01 09:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

/thread
[+]
By Ricon 2019-05-01 09:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

This isn’t really true, Tizona is just flat better. The only situation I could even possibly make up to make any swords better are so one off it’s silly. Maju or ony where you can only use savage blade, ok. A fight where you for some reason don’t have time to build 3k for AM, you can’t build tp before hand for any reason. Sure Almace would win that.

Beyond those 2 super specific and highly unlikely situations, nah Tizona is the best. It’s not even a contest anymore, no debating or discussing. Tizona/Thibron destroys.
 Phoenix.Bridgerbot
By Phoenix.Bridgerbot 2019-05-01 10:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
It does actually do something for CDC. It increases your chance to crit. No bonus to damage potential, just higher average damage.

Going from 1000 Tp to 2000 Tp gives you a bonus of +10% Crit.

In my case I have a DM augmented Colada with +5% Crit, 8 Dex, +35 Acc Total, and then 242 Sword Skill.

I do often solo, when I party I don't usually have a Cor or Bard.

So I don't think I would trade 5% more crit hit for 8 Dex, and what must be 277 Acc. I'm not sure how to calculate the Tp loss from the lower Acc, but without buffs it would be significant. Even with buffs that would still be too big of an acc loss for wave 3 dynamis.

I guess I'll have to get into a DPS calculator to figure out if Naegling would be better in my offhand than my augmented Colada. I guess to know how it stacks up against Tizona, I would have to use a calculator there too, but either way I probably won't invest the time to get a Tizona, espeically now that my Almace is augmented (augments only are active in the main hand for Almace).

Edit: For anything where the mob has low enough evasion that Thibron is an option, my group can already destroy it, but I guess it might be better in some solo applications, maybe were you aren't just CDC spamming.
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2019-05-01 11:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you still spamming CDC? It's been dethroned as my primary ws for years, unless I'm all alone which is basically never.
By geigei 2019-05-01 11:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kaht said: »

Are you still spamming CDC? It's been dethroned as my primary ws for years, unless I'm all alone which is basically never.
Yea, once sequence was a thing and more ws gear, savage everything.
But, best offhand for R15 almace?
 Asura.Zulaern
user: Zulaern
By Asura.Zulaern 2019-05-01 12:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

To jump in here, what are the best non-REMA weapons, main and offhand?

Tanmogayi +1
Kaja/Naegling
Colada
Others?

What would you shoot for if you didn't have a REMA yet?
 Asura.Tewfpick
By Asura.Tewfpick 2019-05-01 12:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zulaern said: »
To jump in here, what are the best non-REMA weapons, main and offhand?

Tanmogayi +1
Kaja/Naegling
Colada
Others?

What would you shoot for if you didn't have a REMA yet?

I made Naegling/Colada on a fresh 99 because they were stupid easy to get. Naegling will last me a long time, on many jobs so your investment there wont be wasted. Plus, Savage blade is nasty!
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-01 12:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Naeg/Thib and spam savage blades

Naeg/kaja if you can't be bothered to do trials and don't really care

Naeg/colada if you're a masochist and can't resist the slot machine
 Asura.Zulaern
user: Zulaern
By Asura.Zulaern 2019-05-01 12:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I main COR, so I understand the TP weapon and spamming Savage Blades, but that's a gun and this is offhand.

How does the lack of stats and accuracy/skill etc effect you? I guess I assumed it was a lot to overcome.

I'm not jumping at the thought of doing those trials again but if it's a no brainer and definitely worth it, I would.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-01 12:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu has the unique ability to freely set accuracy job traits. Gearing for more acc really isn't that big of a hit to dps anymore either.

Yeah you'll end up probably using sushi more.

Just watch your acc, if your setup/buffs aren't good enough request torpor. or if the group is really bad switch it out for something ilvl.

The last thing "we" want is a bunch of bandwagon blus with 75% acc thinking they're god with a tpbonus weapon but terrible ws frequency.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7