Real Talk, I Need Some Advice.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Real talk, I need some advice.
Real talk, I need some advice.
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-04-04 15:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerison said: »
Do people still farm old dynamis? I thought the only thing in there were bots and desperation.

If you don't have any other consistent means of making money, 3-5m a run is still better than sitting in town watching shouts and bein bored.

So of course people still farm dynamis.
By eliroo 2019-04-04 15:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

3-5M a run? When was the last time someone made 3-5M in a dynamis run lol.
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-04-04 15:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
3-5M a run? When was the last time someone made 3-5M in a dynamis run lol.

The guy on the last page literally just told you how he makes 4m+ a run
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-04 15:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

No ones making even close to 4m from old dynamis. Coins are 200k for 100 pieces. That means they're getting 20 100's. nope.

It's possible, but yeah, just like the people who get 20 astrals from omen. hard nope.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-04-04 15:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you expect?

The prevailing wisdom is for returning/new players is to take the shortest possible path to endgame. As per all the well-meaning online advice:

• Get a PL to 99 (why bother learning about basic game/job mechanics?),

• Buy clears/equip/hallmarks from mercs (why actually learn about group play and strategy yourself?),

• Automate everything (why bother ever trying to develop/improve your skill and reaction speed?),

• Download a ready-made lua and just put your gear in it (what's the point in learning how it works?)

• RMT or AFK-bot for gil (MMO, but who has time to grind?),

• Zerg everything (why bother using your brain in battle? Teamwork? Skillchains? Bleh, just buff to the rafters and hit the easy button.)

• Play GEO to endear you to groups (why even try to play a more demanding job, with a wider battle perspective? why even bother trying to start your own group?).

I honestly feel like the average skill level of endgame players is worse than it's ever been. You'd think with all the online resources at our fingertips that people would be more prepared than ever, but the total opposite has happened. Most completely skip the why's and how's and go straight to the gearset or answer they're looking for. They spend all their time on the path of least resistance, instead of learning by doing, step-by-step.

We can write job guides, post job vids, theory craft until we're blue in the face, but it's just a circle jerk for a few people who nerd out on the details.

Everybody else is TL;DR, bee-lining to the conclusion. Please hold my hand, let me join your group, just tell me what to do.

(at least OP has the balls to admit he's clueless and helpless)
[+]
By gistofanything 2019-04-04 16:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »
What do you expect?

The prevailing wisdom is for returning/new players is to take the shortest possible path to endgame. As per all the well-meaning online advice:

• Buy clears/equip/hallmarks from mercs (why actually learn about group play and strategy yourself?),

• Automate everything (why bother ever trying to develop/improve your skill and reaction speed?),

• Download a ready-made lua and just put your gear in it (what's the point in learning how it works?)

• Zerg everything (why bother using your brain in battle? Teamwork? Skillchains? Bleh, just buff to the rafters and hit the easy button.)

• Play GEO to endear you to groups (why even try to play a more demanding job, with a wider battle perspective? why even bother trying to start your own group?).

I honestly feel like the average skill level of endgame players is worse than it's ever been. You'd think with all the online resources at our fingertips that people would be more prepared than ever, but the total opposite has happened. Most completely skip the why's and how's and go straight to the gearset or answer they're looking for. They spend all their time on the path of least resistance, instead of learning by doing, step-by-step.

We can write job guides, post job vids, theory craft until we're blue in the face, but it's just a circle jerk for a few people who nerd out on the details.

Everybody else is TL;DR, bee-lining to the conclusion. Please hold my hand, let me join your group, just tell me what to do.

Hey... I didn't do all of the above... :( You did mention job guides and videos, and they're quite helpful - the problem is that these are only one piece to a thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle. Yes, one can learn how one job works (out of a cast of 22), but then there are mechanics, monster types, a large array of effects to memorize, cooldowns, cast times, combinations - and most importantly of all, (ultimate, bis) gearsets.

To be frank, it's a 17 year old game, and with it is a lot of stuff to catch up to as a newer, less experienced player. I do apologize for not knowing everything a seasoned veteran does; however, there are also not too many people still in my position to learn together with, either. If my hand isn't held to get me started (No, formulae to calculate damage that's already printed by the game don't really help me understand much at all), then where's the point to get things going?
 Asura.Grievance
user: ringly
By Asura.Grievance 2019-04-04 16:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Phioness said: »

popping 1900 keys saved over 5/6 months.

Jesus Christ!!! 1900 at one time? please tell me you had "help" with those?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2019-04-04 16:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I think OP needs a good buddy or two. I think that would solve all his / her problems.
[+]
By gistofanything 2019-04-04 17:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
I think OP needs a good buddy or two. I think that would solve all his / her problems.
You're not wrong.
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-04-04 17:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

gistofanything said: »
there are also not too many people still in my position to learn together with, either.

There's a shortage of returning/new players on Asura? Really? I'm calling BS.

If my hand isn't held to get me started (No, formulae to calculate damage that's already printed by the game don't really help me understand much at all), then where's the point to get things going?

Learn by doing.

Play as much lower-tier and middle-tier content solo as possible. Push yourself. Experiment. Make mistakes, die a lot. When you hit a wall, do research. There will always be some combination of weapons, gear, buffs and debuffs that will get you through. Figuring that stuff out on your own is how you get a real understanding of how the game works, where your knowledge gaps are, and what you need to improve.

Farm as much of the lower-tier gear that you're missing on BRD and other jobs yourself. Earn and learn.

There is no substitute for tons of practical experience and a broad base of knowledge, not even RMEA and BIS gear.

Your Terpander isn't what's holding you back. You need to really go back to basics and play the game as intended. Put everything else on hold until you have the basics figured out, and then start dabbling in low-stakes, small party play. Find other returnees to clear content with. Work your way to your endgame goals.

No amount of hand holding will get you endgame ready today, or even tomorrow. You have to put in the work.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-04-04 18:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you expect?

Can you come over to my house and play FFXI for me k thanks !

Hire some nerd that is elite to play for you...give him Doritos and Mt. Dew as payment.
By Jetackuu 2019-04-04 18:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

(why bother learning about basic game/job mechanics?)

It's cute that people still think that leveling a job = learning how to play the job.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-04-04 18:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The Asura way is to start a new char. PL 1-99...buy aeonic weapon then go AFK in Jeuno game complete !
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-04 18:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The Asura way is to start a new char. PL 1-99...buy aeonic weapon then go AFK in Jeuno game complete !

Did you know that afterglows are brighter in Jeuno? That's why they afk there!
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-04-04 18:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread got pretty salty pretty quick.

OP just do what everyone else does: spend the extra 15$/mo and dual box.
[+]
By eliroo 2019-04-04 18:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fortunately for him FFXIAH forums are the best place to find good buddies.
By Afania 2019-04-04 18:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Learn by doing.

Play as much lower-tier and middle-tier content solo as possible. Push yourself. Experiment. Make mistakes, die a lot. When you hit a wall, do research. There will always be some combination of weapons, gear, buffs and debuffs that will get you through. Figuring that stuff out on your own is how you get a real understanding of how the game works, where your knowledge gaps are, and what you need to improve.

Or be a leader and make a pt.

Imo solo teaches a player learn how deal with NM mechanics with tools that you have. Organize a pt teaches a player how each buff/job/people interact and produce desired results. In a pt setting its so beneficial to know what to do next (sleep adds, do right debuffs, know where to stand etc) even as a member/follower.

Personally I find it much easier to understand the big picture of the fight if I have leadership experience 1st.

And yeah, its def easier to learn by doing than reading 100 pages of bg wiki.
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2019-04-04 18:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

there are also not too many people still in my position to learn together with, either.

There's a shortage of returning/new players on Asura? Really? I'm calling BS.

If my hand isn't held to get me started (No, formulae to calculate damage that's already printed by the game don't really help me understand much at all), then where's the point to get things going?

Learn by doing.

Farm as much of the lower-tier gear that you're missing on BRD and other jobs yourself. Earn and learn.

There is no substitute for tons of practical experience and a broad base of knowledge, not even RMEA and BIS gear.

Your Terpander isn't what's holding you back. You need to really go back to basics and play the game as intended. Put everything else on hold until you have the basics figured out, and then start dabbling in low-stakes, small party play. Find other returnees to clear content with. Work your way to your endgame goals.

No amount of hand holding will get you endgame ready today, or even tomorrow. You have to put in the work.

Exactly.

Having the courage to fail again and again, and trying different strategies until you get it right is precisely how those players from whom you ask for advice became the kind of person from whom people seek advice.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-04 18:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Or be a leader

Correct answer for anything in any game and most things in rl. Bonus of making friends and organizing future groups easier, which is something you'll want if single boxing.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dekay
user: dekayx
By Leviathan.Dekay 2019-04-04 20:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Come to Leviathan! While we may be the "backwater" server there are several event and social shells still kicking.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2019-04-05 09:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not wrong.

then my advice is as follows:

Make a linkshell.

whenever you usually start playing in a day, dedicate 20 mins (in 5 minute intervals) to /yell "Hello, I'm Mosin, I'm a returning mnk (don't play mnk, you're 1,000,000 times better off as a bard, but we're using me for this example) I'm starting a LS for like-minded peps, playtimes are 6pm-11pm mnt time, USA, probably more on the weekends. please send /tell if interested, thanks!"

do that and report back here with how many yahoos you've gathered together in 2 weeks.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-04-05 12:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
It's cute that people still think that leveling a job = learning how to play the job.

Well, it used to be.
leveling from 1 to 75 would take a long time, and you would creatively try to figure as many ways as possible to use the abilities and environments you can.

You also get abilities slowly. 1 at a time. so you adapt them 1 at a time and find more ways to use it.

It was a long leveling and training session on the job.

ofcourse thats not the case anymore anyway.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [110 days between previous and next post]
By gistofanything 2019-07-24 18:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello! Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd just revive this one. I took a look back through what people have suggested, which pretty much boils down to "learn the basics" (with some provided bgwiki links), play lower and middle tier content solo, and go make a linkshell and/or some friends.

To give context, I've finished my harp through grinding alex (oh god) and burned out as a result, started the mythic questline by reaching captain, killing the 3 beastmen champions, and working my way through killing the 4 chariots (currently have arrapago remnants down, now working on getting down the other three). Took a break for a couple of months and am just now coming back with a clearer head. Would anyone be able to point me toward a content tier ladder? I understand that Delve is easier than Vagary, which is easier than Geas Fete, and so on, but as for soloing, I wouldn't know where to start or what to research. I can put making this mythic on hold while I go learn the basics, but I'm not really sure where I should start in-game (there are already links to some bgwiki articles earlier in the thread). Any help is appreciated!
By Tarage 2019-07-24 18:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You're trying to figure out if you can solo anything as a bard? I don't think that's going to happen. Bard isn't really a job that can solo, even with trusts.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Server: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-07-24 18:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello! Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd just revive this one. I took a look back through what people have suggested, which pretty much boils down to "learn the basics" (with some provided bgwiki links), play lower and middle tier content solo, and go make a linkshell and/or some friends.

To give context, I've finished my harp through grinding alex (oh god) and burned out as a result, started the mythic questline by reaching captain, killing the 3 beastmen champions, and working my way through killing the 4 chariots (currently have arrapago remnants down, now working on getting down the other three). Took a break for a couple of months and am just now coming back with a clearer head. Would anyone be able to point me toward a content tier ladder? I understand that Delve is easier than Vagary, which is easier than Geas Fete, and so on, but as for soloing, I wouldn't know where to start or what to research. I can put making this mythic on hold while I go learn the basics, but I'm not really sure where I should start in-game (there are already links to some bgwiki articles earlier in the thread). Any help is appreciated!

My gear path was:
- Level BLU to 99
- Buy 117 sparks gear
- Get as many relevant spells as possible
- Do alluvion skirmish (yorcia) for Taeon pieces (augment with stones received during run)
- Do alluvion skirmish (rala) for Claidheamh soluis
- Do delve boss for earrings
- Unlock Reisenjima RoV if you haven't by this point
- Start doing Escha Zi'tah NMs with a group / get help for off hand sword
- Do ambuscade with a small group on Intense / VE to start getting pieces / fibers to upgrade Ayanmo to +2
- Start working on Escha Ru'aun clears for better gear
- Start working on Reisenjima mobs for herculean pieces and stones to augment
- Start relevant AF / Relic pieces to item level 119 in +2 status

Now you're geared enough to solo anything you need to solo to get your bard geared enough to do stuff.

I went from "returning player" to doing Omen in the span of a month with this strategy. Within 6 months all my "favorite" jobs had caught up to the BLU I was using to solo ***for gear.

(optional)
- Level THF so you can get to work on Apademak ASAP for Daurdabla. Be 4-song/Ghorn(99) before you get your Honor March and people will gladly take you along to earn your aeonic instead of buying one.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2019-07-24 19:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm confused. You're trying to solo on Bard? You could level literally any job you want up to 99 in about a weekend provided you have a couple decent Trusts. That's exactly what I did with Thief just so I could go farm stuff in Abyssea.

As a dedicated solo player, I basically just read up a little bit on any thing that interested me and went to try it. Worst thing that happens is you die and maybe lose a pop item or entry ticket.
By Shichishito 2019-07-24 19:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

shozokuis depiction are pretty reasonable, could skip the skirmish stuff for the most part depending what job you are however it only works for solo friendly jobs like BLU or BST.

since you play BRD support you could probably try joining ambuscade groups and work on ambu +1/+2 armor sets.
with a little patience shouting you could probably convince someone lowmaning/soloing Tier 1 geas fete mobs with/for you.

with your gauge on content difficulty progression you have a accurate estimation. however don't be intimidated by geas fete tier 1, pops aren't very pricy so if you already gathered a lot of syld and have sparks or even ambu +1 armor and a descent weapon i'd read up on specific fights and try my luck with those.
By gistofanything 2019-07-24 19:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

People in the past have suggested that I learn how to play the game by soloing content. Bard is the most geared job I currently have, though I have all jobs leveled to 99 and all have some form of gear, kind of.
By Shichishito 2019-07-24 19:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

focus on one job till you get it to a usefull stage. if you have your heart set on BRD (support jobs are never a bad choice) then i suggest to team up with other players. teaming up just plays more into a support jobs strengths.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-24 20:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Level THF, a lot of the gear you target for your THF sets will double as BRD melee gear so you minimize wasted time. BRD as a soloer isn't as bad as some of these people are saying, but not only will THF be more durable, they get treasure hunter.

Alternatively, invest the time into a solid hybrid set(moonlight rings, loricate torque+1, moonlight cape or amb cape, some ayanmo gear) and run a trust setup that's heavy on the healing. Your songs will help your trusts as well, and BRD is plenty durable in the right gear.