More DPS Or Invest In A Real DPS?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » more DPS or invest in a real DPS?
more DPS or invest in a real DPS?
 Bismarck.Danz
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2019-03-14 15:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

so far my best geared LS event job is PLD. i have no problem tanking high level content. my other decently geared jobs are BLU and BST, BLU is ok. i have almace and adamar +1 and herc WS set as for PLD, i find myself ether hitting with a wet noodle thogh indestructible. or doing moderate damage on my BLU but against things that are fast attacking like AAHM are a little more of a challenge. my bst is ok. but is out-shined by other jobs easily. iv done some work to SMN. it could use more. a lot of my problems would be solved if i can just do more damage on my PLD. this would help greatly with solo content. however SE doesn't want PLD to have DPS gear. RUN is ok. but **** PLD having anything good for DPS. so. i need to ether maxamise DPS. the best gear set i can see that will give me any amount of acc/attack looks to be the PLD relic +3 set. which right now i have the full +1. the costs to +3 it all is looking to be around 45mil. i have the kaja sword, and am also thinking of getting a blurred shield +1. has any PLDs messed with this set and have any numbers? or should i just invest in a 2 hander DPS?
By geigei 2019-03-14 16:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm outparsing real dps as brd/nin on this month ambuscade, what i'm saying is that unless you pimp your dd you might aswell focus on pld.
 Bahamut.Bizarro
Server: Bahamut
user: bizarro
By Bahamut.Bizarro 2019-03-14 17:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So exactly why are you trying to maximize output on PLD while tanking?

Don't take the question wrong. Im not stirring the pot or anything. I am seriously asking in an effort to understand what you are looking for.

(Personal perspective on pld follows)
If you are tanking anything serious you NEED to be in at the least a hybrid set maximizing dt- while hitting the required acc level of the content you are in. Can you hit -50% DT and hit the accuracy requirement? If no, increase accuracy until you do. This is where it's going to start to suck... By taking the dt off to increase output you now take more damage, which leads to more enmity loss. Now you're not tanking, you are a half assed DD that can't keep up dps wise with any decent DD and also taking MORE damage when you get hit causing more work for healers.

If you want someone to point you to a "dd pld" set and let you have at it, sure look at the sticky or some of the other threads floating around. I'm sure there are plenty to be found. Emicho+1 body/hands, Flamma +2, Odyssean/Valorous with good augments, af+3, Im sure a mix/match of any/all of those sets with appropriate accessories is viable. I'm pretty sure you are going to be disappointed though.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2019-03-14 18:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Get the ambuscade polearm, imo
[+]
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2019-03-14 18:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »

i kinda want it. just havn't gotten around to doing ambu this month yet. that and finding a glowy to sacrifice is gonna be a pain.
 Asura.Byrne
Server: Asura
By Asura.Byrne 2019-03-14 18:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Danz said: »
i have almace and adamar +1 and herc WS set as for PLD,

Could you please clarify?

Nvm, I'm illiterate :)
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2019-03-14 19:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
I'm outparsing real dps as brd/nin on this month ambuscade, what i'm saying is that unless you pimp your dd you might aswell focus on pld.

it honestly wouldn't supprise me of PLD has the absolute lowest DPS. a BLM could probably melee harder than a PLD...
 Asura.Byrne
Server: Asura
By Asura.Byrne 2019-03-14 20:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Well PLD's DD potential with full buffs isn't abysmal using ambu lance or Caladbolg if you have DM augs, or just really good augs. It's just more a case of anything PLD can do in that regard WAR and DRK will do better. So I guess your mileage will vary. You can probably complete a large swath of content even if it's suboptimal, but of course a pure DD will always outshine it. Also your Subjob options are fairly limited.

Most advocate for doing something else because it's like trying to look left and right at the same time. PLD, unlike RUN, just isn't designed for non sword/board tanking while doing Hybrid DPS... its' more of an all or nothing thing on PLD.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-03-14 23:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Just pick up WAR.

Share a lot for gear with Pld and versatile enough to work with non-rema so you don't have to drop 200mil into the job to be a badass.
[+]
By geigei 2019-03-15 00:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
drop 200mil into the job to be a badass
You cant even cover the weapon slot with that lol.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-03-15 00:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, just invest in a DD job. You'll increase your versatility as a player that way. Spending 200mil on your PLD has a significantly lower marginal benefit than putting 200mil on your BLU, for example.
[+]
 Odin.Archaide
Server: Odin
user: Archaide
By Odin.Archaide 2019-03-15 00:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You can gear out dark knight with Montante quite easily and cheaply. It’ll serve you well until you can make a Caladbolg.
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2019-03-15 22:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »

just did some ambu. came down to getting the polarm for PLD or an axe for BST. and when i saw my PLD only had 300 polarm skill. (blue) the answer was clear. there is NO WAY a PLD is going to do anything with that polearm.
By Nariont 2019-03-16 05:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

We got DDs offhanding weapons with 0 skill on them and still keeping up, while you wont use it on anything high end, for trash itll do fine, and anything high end youd likely be busy tanking anyway