New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » To the guy that designed the maps for WOTG
To the guy that designed the maps for WOTG
By axetofall 2019-02-11 12:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Chasuro said: »
Awww, you don't like how they built their video game?

That's right gargle them SE balls!!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-02-11 12:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Incoming
"We have read your feedback regarding maps in the "S" era... Some of you wondered why we never used the lightning style in Adoulin, which gave us a different idea.....

Empy +2/+3 will be in Yorcia_S! We will combine one way drops of Jugner_S with random spinny ***like Pso'Xja doorways. Also, we're bringing back the bushes that block paths. Enjoy! Please look forward to it,"

Miasmas will be added as well. I still don't understand the logic in those. Oh, and the huge cliffs and Beaucedine Glacier that you can't run off of, and have to run completely north just to go south. So dumb.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2019-02-11 12:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

welcome to 2007
 Quetzalcoatl.Coronos
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Coronos
By Quetzalcoatl.Coronos 2019-02-11 13:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

SE thinks releasing the WotG expansion with copypasta zones is a good idea.

First Jugner Forest (S), then Abyssea - La Thiene, then Eshcha - Zi'Tah...

Next, Ctrl'V - Yuhtunga with moar barriers, added miasma, and true sight true sound Lv. 150 non-NM Mandragoras that EXCLUSIVELY use Dream Flower in a 50 mile radius that affects players that aren't in your party.

Edit: Also, the map will be as useful as Rapunzel with cornrows.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2019-02-11 13:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
"Now" that it doesn't matter anymore and you have absolutely no reason at all to go to those zones unless you're doing WotG missions and/or need some beastmen for the monthly ambuscade, you mean?

i like to go back every now and then just to slaughter campaign mobs and take everything over. Also..cant stand to see the tarus in danger.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2019-02-11 13:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

all this talk about jugner S having the worst map... i think ppl have forgotten about this incredibly accurate map.

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Coronos
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Coronos
By Quetzalcoatl.Coronos 2019-02-11 13:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
all this talk about jugner S having the worst map... i think ppl have forgotten about this incredibly accurate map.

Remember when floating eye balls were true sound and spam Breakga?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-02-11 13:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I do miss the Pso'xja zone.
[+]
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2019-02-11 13:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

All this talk of WoTG zones reminds me of this..

YouTube Video Placeholder

MEMORIEZ

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Taint 2019-02-11 14:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Incoming
"We have read your feedback regarding maps in the "S" era... Some of you wondered why we never used the lightning style in Adoulin, which gave us a different idea.....

Empy +2/+3 will be in Yorcia_S! We will combine one way drops of Jugner_S with random spinny ***like Pso'Xja doorways. Also, we're bringing back the bushes that block paths. Enjoy! Please look forward to it,"

Miasmas will be added as well. I still don't understand the logic in those. Oh, and the huge cliffs and Beaucedine Glacier that you can't run off of, and have to run completely north just to go south. So dumb.

Beaucedine Glacier S actually has a few points you can drop down the cliffs, makes normal glacier even more annoying.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2019-02-11 14:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing in this map is that you need to zoom in the max you can to see the path but the map is accurate
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-02-12 01:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The map of Yorcia is awful, but the problem with Jugner S is not the map itself but rather the area navigation.
Navigation in Yorcia is not a problem at all, plus you have warps, which weren't a thing in Jugner_S alas
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-02-12 01:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
I don't know why they didn't keep it, but I would just guess it didn't fit with the aesthetic style of Adoulin -- esp considering it was thematically focused around colonization, exploration, and mystery. Compare against the style and atmosphere around the WotG environments which were more serene
While that's an entirely possible explanation, I was thinking about some other reason.

It felt to me that it was more a technical issue.
Something like the guy(s) that worked on the WotG lighting system didn't leave many documentation, if at all, on the system, plus possible technical issues that we don't know about.
When new guys came and had to develop Adoulin zones they had no documentation at all except for the original code, so that's what they used as a baseline to develop Adoulin.

I dunno, I was thinking something like this honestly more than a clear choice about how Adoulin zones would feel with the different Lighting.
After all your thinking about areas being serene or anything probably doesn't make a lot of sense in the end.
I mean, it's new, more "powerful" technology, what you do with it is in the hands of the programmers. They could've used that technology to make better looking lighting that looked all but serene, if they wanted to, no?
By axetofall 2019-02-12 02:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The map of Yorcia is awful, but the problem with Jugner S is not the map itself but rather the area navigation.
Navigation in Yorcia is not a problem at all, plus you have warps, which weren't a thing in Jugner_S alas

Yeah. Junger S is basically 3 maps in one because of all the roadblocks. You see that tiny stream? No you cant just walk across. Have fun with your 15 minute detour, dickface.
By Marootsoobootsu 2019-02-12 02:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

axetofall said: »

Yeah. Junger S is basically 3 maps in one because of all the roadblocks. You see that tiny stream? No you cant just walk across. Have with your 15 minute detour, dickface.

I have rescued nations. I have conquered the personifications of darkness and evil. I have traversed time. I have killed gods-- I have BECOME a god.

But I'm just so darned scared of getting my toesies wet that a slow-moving stream up to my ankles is an impassable physical barrier.
[+]