Windower X (close) Button Disabled, How To Fix?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Windower X (close) button disabled, how to fix?
Windower X (close) button disabled, how to fix?
By Excellia 2019-01-09 07:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Was wondering if anyone had any insight to why the windower 4 close button became disabled for me (about a month ago). At first I was like oh well, I'll just deal with it but its becoming annoying not being able to close the game w/o logging out to POL or going through task manager. The X button is working in POL still but not once windower pops up. Tried disabling all plugins, changing to a clean profile with nothing loaded, resolutions. Idk just off the wall things and can't seem to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2019-01-09 08:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of just logging out you can use the /shutdown command to log out your character and close POL at the same time. That's not even windower functionality but built into the game itself. I presume the red X button was disabled intentionally. And I think it's been changed for a lot longer than just a month or so. I have programming and app development experience myself, and one thing I can tell you is that closing a program by hitting the red X is not technically the "correct" way to do so. You mignt not think that it matters, but in some cases it does. Let me give you a simple example

Most people don't know about it, but the correct way to close your internet web browser is to use the File --> Exit rather than the red X. What's the difference you may ask? Well, when you use the File --> exit command your web browser will send a command to all of the connected web sites telling them "I'm done now" before closing the connection. This tells the IP Host it can close the connection and immediately frees up system resources on the IP host's end. If you use the red X then your browser will sever all the connections, but it won't send a message telling the IP hosts that. So what happens is now your browser session has ended, but the IP host's at all of the sites you had open still THINK your connected. So for the next several minutes they will continue trying to send communications to your web browser thinking it's still open and waitng for a response. Eventually after a set amount of time elapses your connection will time out and the IP will close the session on their end, so there is a built in failsafe to account for this and its system impact is minimal. But there IS a difference. If a million people were connected to "Web site X" and closed their browser with the red X, versus those same million people using the file-> exit command then web site X's system performance would be dramatically slower for a while in the first example than the second due to the extra resources consumed by idle connections.

Sorry for the slightly long example, but I wanted to get that out there. Closing your client improperly has the potential to do things that can corrupt data, be it character data or account related. I can only assume the red X button was disabled in windower as a failsafe to prevent any chances, however mnimal they may be, of data corruption occuring when you exit the game. So as I said originally, I recommend when your done playing instead of typing /logout just type /shutdown instead. It'll close everything down in one fell swoop and you can avoid any hassles of fiaging with the playonline menues at the end of your gaming sesson.
 Asura.Meliorah
Server: Asura
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-01-09 08:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

//terminate
By Excellia 2019-01-09 08:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate the workaround to the problem and understand the reasoning behind it and all red X closures. Could /sea all status too I guess lol, but would still like to correct this. My laptop always had the X disabled and never could figure out why but I think it happened on my PC when I finally allowed windower to update not too long ago. Would still like to be able to have the option enabled if anyone can explain how.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-01-09 09:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Most people don't know about it, but the correct way to close your internet web browser is to use the File --> Exit rather than the red X. What's the difference you may ask? Well, when you use the File --> exit command your web browser will send a command to all of the connected web sites telling them "I'm done now" before closing the connection.

Do you have any reference indicating this is true on recent browsers? Any half-decent programmer will do necessary cleanup when WM_CLOSE is sent, so the X is perfectly fine as long as they took the time to code a response to it. Hard to believe.
By Jetackuu 2019-01-09 10:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I couldn't be rolling my eyes harder. Nobody *** cares, even if it were true 20 years ago ***'em buy better servers.

As far as the "close" being "disabled" it's greyed out but it still works, idk what the *** you did OP. Borderless is better anyway, get with the times.
By Excellia 2019-01-09 11:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I have no clue, I thought it was a windower update that greyed everyone's out. But your's still functions? mine definitely doesnt D:
By DaneBlood 2019-01-09 12:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Most people don't know about it, but the correct way to close your internet web browser is to use the File --> Exit rather than the red X. What's the difference you may ask? Well, when you use the File --> exit command your web browser will send a command to all of the connected web sites telling them "I'm done now" before closing the connection.

Do you have any reference indicating this is true on recent browsers? Any half-decent programmer will do necessary cleanup when WM_CLOSE is sent, so the X is perfectly fine as long as they took the time to code a response to it. Hard to believe.

I agree this sounds like bullshirt and would be more due to bad programming than being the "wrong" way to close something down

I might not be a professional programmer but I know how to make sure the WM_Close activates my shutdown routine as well.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-01-09 13:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Borderless is better anyway, get with the times.

Iv looked around to try an find a program to save Program window locations when you open them. Otherwise Id also play borderless, but alas, I have to put the windower screen in the proper spot on my screen everytime I log in
By Excellia 2019-01-09 13:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Iv looked around to try an find a program to save Program window locations when you open them. Otherwise Id also play borderless, but alas, I have to put the windower screen in the proper spot on my screen everytime I log in[/quote]
Asura.Chaostaru said: »

Iv looked around to try an find a program to save Program window locations when you open them. Otherwise Id also play borderless, but alas, I have to put the windower screen in the proper spot on my screen everytime I log in

Also this. My windower used to save my location of the windows but ever since that update, I have to manually place each one of them again. Let me know if you ever have luck with this
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-01-09 13:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Excellia said: »
Asura.Chaostaru said: »

Also this. My windower used to save my location of the windows but ever since that update, I have to manually place each one of them again. Let me know if you ever have luck with this

Found DisplayFusion. It lets you create window location profiles and load them on a hotkey. Its not automatic but 1 button and all your ffxi screens snap into there correct place. It'll save tedious amounts of time logging in multiple toons. I havent tried to see if it works with borderless enabled. Even so I dig it.

Though the hotkey doesnt seem to work if on a ffxi window, needs to be pressed on any other window(browser, desktop, ect)
By Jetackuu 2019-01-09 14:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

alias screen2 wincontrol move 1920 0
screen2

init.txt

This is how I have XI go to my 2nd screen
By Jetackuu 2019-01-09 14:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Excellia said: »
Yea I have no clue, I thought it was a windower update that greyed everyone's out. But your's still functions? mine definitely doesnt D:
It's greyed out, still works though.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-01-09 14:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

alias screen2 wincontrol move 1920 0
screen2

init.txt

This is how I have XI go to my 2nd screen

That the init.txt in the scripts folder of windower?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.